Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: my car is cutting out when I go up hills, why???????

1. 05-22-2003 08:02 PM #1
      I have a 1976 carb Rabbit 4-door automatic and it starts fine, drives fine on flats, but when I go up any hills it will not let the secondary kick in and it slows up and acts like it wants to die or does die, depending on the incline. I am just wondering if that could just be a float, vacuum lines hooked up wrong, ???? I am frustrated and want to get this car fixed!!!! Any advice would help out a great deal!!!! Thanks in advance.

2. 05-22-2003 09:49 PM #2
      When was the last time you rebuilt the carb? Or if you cannot find gasket kit at least remove the carb, do what it takes to remove the fuel bowl, clean it out and flush out all the jets. I did this on my lawnmower and I was actualy able to get an idle and power. Actually I did it on the walk behind mower and the rider and it made a world of difference. Your car carb is not much different except it has possibly two throttle bores instead of one.

05-23-2003 08:10 AM #3
      filter change?

4. 05-24-2003 01:51 AM #4
      clogged filter?? wouldn't it mess up on flat roads too?? this only does it when I go up hills, and if I floor it, it gives me no reaction at all, just stays the same speed. But on flats, I floor it and the secondary will kick in no prob. I have no clue what it is. I just know that I do not want to dump to much money into this thing. Thanks for your help though!!

5. 05-24-2003 09:46 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by roadhard1960 »
      When was the last time you rebuilt the carb? Or if you cannot find gasket kit at least remove the carb, do what it takes to remove the fuel bowl, clean it out and flush out all the jets. I did this on my lawnmower and I was actualy able to get an idle and power. Actually I did it on the walk behind mower and the rider and it made a world of difference. Your car carb is not much different except it has possibly two throttle bores instead of one.

do what this guys says, i take it these are long hills, and about halfway up you decide you wanna go faster.

6. 05-24-2003 11:18 AM #6
      could it be that his fuel pump isnt picking up enough fuel to send to the carb when the hill is too steep? also, does this happen all the time ? or just once in a while. hope i could help

7. 05-24-2003 11:50 AM #7
      Going 60 up a 5% hill might be the same as driving 85 on the flats as far as fuel flow. I do not know the exact comparison but let us pretend. Example: your car can go 95 mph when you have three bikes on your car top carrier. When you go up a 5% hill you can only go 60 with full throttle. Your carb car only flow so much fuel and air. It has the potential of going 95 in the flats and 65 on a mild hill. Hills just show you how well the car is running because law abiding folks do not drive 100 mph on the highways. On a racetrack of course you go as fast as you can and that is the goal. Yes the fuel pump could be weak but I vote for carb cleaning first.

In 1983 and 1984 for the carb equiped Rabbit in the USA had 65 horsepower. When mated to the economy .71 top gear that car was not very good on the hils in high gear. I do not know how peppy the early Rabbits are.

Quote, originally posted by littledevilo63 »
      could it be that his fuel pump isnt picking up enough fuel to send to the carb when the hill is too steep? also, does this happen all the time ? or just once in a while. hope i could help