Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Travel Tripods

Vehicles
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      03-30-2017 02:54 PM #1
      Looking for input on a decent travel tripod.

I'd like something small, compact with quick release clips for the legs not the spinning type. I already have a good ballhead but my current tripod doesn't fold up that compact and isn't as stable as I would like without weights. I've looked at the Joby Gorillapod and while small it seems like it needs to be wrapped around an object to be secure.

Unfortunately there aren't any decent camera equipment stores in my area so I cant test out before buying and will have to order online.

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      04-03-2017 08:20 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by DasCC View Post
      Looking for input on a decent travel tripod.

I'd like something small, compact with quick release clips for the legs not the spinning type. I already have a good ballhead but my current tripod doesn't fold up that compact and isn't as stable as I would like without weights. I've looked at the Joby Gorillapod and while small it seems like it needs to be wrapped around an object to be secure.

Unfortunately there aren't any decent camera equipment stores in my area so I cant test out before buying and will have to order online.
      How small is small?

I take the MeFoto Backpacker on trips and hikes. It's pretty good. The legs extend with twist locks, unfortunately. Amazon has an Amazon Basics tripod that's almost identical but less expensive. I think Vanguard has one similar but with the clips you're looking for. https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-235A...nguard+tripods
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

//// @mbull //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2001 W.E Jetta
      04-04-2017 08:44 AM #3
      Depending on how small you want the Manfrotto Befree and 190's are pretty compact. What camera lense? If its something big you might have an issue going a really small tripod. I had the same issue, I wanted a smaller tripod that was compact. I ended up with an Induro GT204m2, its about the size of a large paper towel roll. It works for my needs but I wouldn't consider it super small for packing. The Befree's and 190's are smaller both in size an leg diameter. My induro legs the smallest poll is .75in i think.

Carbon would help a bit too with vibration, atleast in the aspect of having it settle down faster. Price jumps up quite a bit and for a travel tripod might not be worth it as your only saving a pound or so.

What is your current tripod?

Vehicles
      04-04-2017 12:04 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      How small is small?

I take the MeFoto Backpacker on trips and hikes. It's pretty good. The legs extend with twist locks, unfortunately. Amazon has an Amazon Basics tripod that's almost identical but less expensive. I think Vanguard has one similar but with the clips you're looking for. https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-235A...nguard+tripods
      I need to measure it but my current one but I'd like to be able to fit it in a carry on suitcase. Mine requires removal of the head and laying it diagonally. I like that Vanguard you linked w/ the legs that fold upward saving space. Mine doesn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      Depending on how small you want the Manfrotto Befree and 190's are pretty compact. What camera lense? If its something big you might have an issue going a really small tripod. I had the same issue, I wanted a smaller tripod that was compact. I ended up with an Induro GT204m2, its about the size of a large paper towel roll. It works for my needs but I wouldn't consider it super small for packing. The Befree's and 190's are smaller both in size an leg diameter. My induro legs the smallest poll is .75in i think.

Carbon would help a bit too with vibration, atleast in the aspect of having it settle down faster. Price jumps up quite a bit and for a travel tripod might not be worth it as your only saving a pound or so.

What is your current tripod?
      current tripod is Promaster Featherweight FW20T, it was a good starter tripod back when I had a D3xxx body with small kit lenses. But I need something that will accommodate a D500 w/ 70-200 2.8.

Vehicles
      04-05-2017 05:54 PM #5
      I need to measure it but my current one but I'd like to be able to fit it in a carry on suitcase. Mine requires removal of the head and laying it diagonally. I like that Vanguard you linked w/ the legs that fold upward saving space. Mine doesn't do that.
      So my MeFoto backpacker is:
      Item Dimensions 3 x 3 x 12.6 inches
      Item Weight 2.6 pounds
      Slightly shorter than the Vanguard. I can actually put my tripod in a messenger bag if I needed too. It solidly holds a Canon 60D w/70-300 or a 100-400mm lens.

Vehicles
      04-05-2017 06:37 PM #6
      Item Weight 2.6 pounds
      Slightly shorter than the Vanguard. I can actually put my tripod in a messenger bag if I needed too. It solidly holds a Canon 60D w/70-300 or a 100-400mm lens.
      Oh wow that's really compact- I think mine is 21 inches+ when folded.

Vehicles
      04-05-2017 06:45 PM #7
      Item Weight 2.6 pounds
      How many twists does it take to tighten the legs down?

Vehicles
      04-05-2017 07:09 PM #8
      How many twists does it take to tighten the legs down?
      It only takes maybe a 1/4 or 1/2 turn and a flick to extend the legs. To extend, you can grab all the knobs on one leg at once, which is cool. And I don't have large hands. Then the 1/4 or 1/2 turn the other way. It's pretty solid. They're not like the other twist locks- like on trekking poles- where you can tighten and tighten and nothing happens.

I've had this tripod for over 2 years and it's been flawless.

Vehicles
      04-05-2017 07:22 PM #9
      It only takes maybe a 1/4 or 1/2 turn and a flick to extend the legs. To extend, you can grab all the knobs on one leg at once, which is cool. And I don't have large hands. Then the 1/4 or 1/2 turn the other way. It's pretty solid. They're not like the other twist locks- like on trekking poles- where you can tighten and tighten and nothing happens.

I've had this tripod for over 2 years and it's been flawless.
      1/4 -1/2 turns aint bad. I just didn't want to have to do multiple spins per knob.

Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2001 W.E Jetta
      04-05-2017 09:25 PM #10
      My induro is like that too. 1/4 -1/2 turn is all you need. Sure you can unscrew them but it's not needed to move the legs. My induro is 18in folded but larger format, paper towel roll sized. That mefoto green suggested sounds like a nice option.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      e-Golf + Boxster
      05-10-2017 07:32 PM #11
      You can use the Gorillapod like any other tripod on a flat surface.

I have the "Original" Gorillapod which is unfortunately not strong enough to hold my DSLR. Works great for lighter cameras though.
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/29]

Vehicles
      '10 JSW TDI
      05-19-2017 08:26 PM #12
      Kind of late chiming in here, but I like my Slik Sprint Mini II... One thing that has kept me with this one is the fact that I can shoot from nearly all the way on the ground...

Slik Sprint Mini II on B&H

Vehicles
      05-22-2017 12:19 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by DRTHJTA View Post
      Kind of late chiming in here, but I like my Slik Sprint Mini II... One thing that has kept me with this one is the fact that I can shoot from nearly all the way on the ground...

Slik Sprint Mini II on B&H
      are you using mirrorless? the 4.5lb rating seems kinda low for a DSLR.

Vehicles
      '10 JSW TDI
      05-22-2017 12:57 PM #14
      are you using mirrorless? the 4.5lb rating seems kinda low for a DSLR.
      Nope... Full sized DSLR and heavy wide angle

Nikon D600 ~1.9 lbs
      Sigma Art 20mm ~2.1 lbs

For advertising information click HERE