VWVortex.com - US-spec facelifted 2018 Volkswagen Golf / Golf GTI / Golf R / Golf Sportwagen / Golf Alltrack / e-Golf unveiled in New York
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: US-spec facelifted 2018 Volkswagen Golf / Golf GTI / Golf R / Golf Sportwagen / Golf Alltrack / e-Golf unveiled in New York

1. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-11-2017 01:59 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Mk6 held the brakes when the clutch was pressed in for about 3 seconds...
      Yep. That sounds like it's functionally different because of the cable, but could be otherwise identical with a software change.

I'd still forego it if given a choice, as I simply wouldn't need it and don't like the aforementioned mechanical complexity. If I could have only fully electronic or cable+hill hold I'd take cable+hill hold.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '05 E46 330Ci ZHP
      04-11-2017 02:01 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      Any insight on how the LED headlights compared to the current HID setup? The current HID headlights with the AFS are incredible.
      We have a new Mazda3 (replacing wife's Mk7 Golf TDI, gets bought back on the 20th) and it has Mazda's new-for-'17 adaptive LED headlights. They are nothing short of incredible - absolutely put the adaptive xenons on my R to shame, they're that good.

'05 E46 330Ci ZHP coupé ..PD99819
      '16 Golf R 6MT/DCC/DAP

3. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-11-2017 02:03 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      We have a new Mazda3 (replacing wife's Mk7 Golf TDI, gets bought back on the 20th) and it has Mazda's new-for-'17 adaptive LED headlights. They are nothing short of incredible - absolutely put the adaptive xenons on my R to shame, they're that good.
      That sounds impressive.

Do LEDs have heaters to keep them from freezing in winter or do you have to keep trying to wash them off? That's the only fundamental issue I have with LEDs, as I do like efficiency.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CSG 4dr R, Nav/Sunroof
      04-11-2017 02:24 PM #104
      Will believe it when I see it. They've been on the "coming soon" list for AA for ages.
      Not true actually. What you have heard are rumors. Probably propagated by those who have looked into the MZ Connect code base and seen comments alluding to Carplay and Android Auto. This evidence alone supports Mazda latest news that they will support CP and AA soon via sw update and, for some early versions of MZ Connect, a hw update (with fee). My guess is the hw update is to support the Apple authentication chip.

Also find it interesting how many VW people complain about Mazda not supporting this feature early on when early implementations of AA and CP on VW were full of bugs. I'd much rather get a feature once it stabilizes. So IMO Mazda is doing the right thing.

FWIW

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by ocramida; 04-11-2017 at 02:27 PM.

5. 04-11-2017 02:38 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
      Not true actually. What you have heard are rumors.
      Not true either. Mazda has been listed on Google's AA site as "coming" for ages now and it has yet to be real in a car I can buy. Given that they have also joined the SmartDevice Link Consortium whose intent is to *compete* with CarPlay and AA, I will still adopt a "seeing is believing" stance.

Vehicles
      13 Elantra
      04-11-2017 03:08 PM #106
      Not true either. Mazda has been listed on Google's AA site as "coming" for ages now and it has yet to be real in a car I can buy. Given that they have also joined the SmartDevice Link Consortium whose intent is to *compete* with CarPlay and AA, I will still adopt a "seeing is believing" stance.
      Mazda came out this spring with statements that CarPlay/AA support is coming.

The company didn't say exactly when support will be coming, or which vehicles might be launching with the technology, according to Cars.com. It did however reveal that any vehicle sporting a Mazda Connect system will be "retroactively upgradeable," with "a potentially minimal hardware addition needed."
      Toyota and not Mazda is the automaker refusing to climb aboard the CP/AA bandwagon.
      Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 04-11-2017 at 03:56 PM.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2, 2012 Golf 2.5
      04-11-2017 03:52 PM #107
      I've been driving a 2017 Golf Trendline (SE) with the pano as a loaner while my Golf is in for service.

I cannot believe how much I love this car. I can't believe what a departure it is from the MK6 and how it actually feels like a damn Audi, and just how refined it is in general. I say with 100% confidence that moving production to Mexico was one of the smartest things VW could have done, allowing the Mk7 to offer more for less/at same price as the Mk6. Mine is equipped perfectly well, offering a fantastic sunroof, blind spot monitoring, CarPlay (so Nav by proxy), the KESSY system and Climatronic. I mean honestly you can't want more...maybe LED headlights...maybe

I'm a bit dissapointed there still isn't the digital gauge for the regular Golf for our market, and no electronic e-brake. Also, anyone else notice the rear fog switch in the e-Golf? I can't help but think, VWoC mentioned only a "select handful" of e-Golfs are coming here, can this possibly mean they've come to some agreement with the authorities to sell Euro-spec eGolfs here temporarily? At least only with euro spec lights?
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      04-11-2017 04:12 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      I'm a bit dissapointed there still isn't the digital gauge for the regular Golf for our market, and no electronic e-brake. Also, anyone else notice the rear fog switch in the e-Golf? I can't help but think, VWoC mentioned only a "select handful" of e-Golfs are coming here, can this possibly mean they've come to some agreement with the authorities to sell Euro-spec eGolfs here temporarily? At least only with euro spec lights?
      No. Whether they import 5 or 500,000 they all have to meet the same regulations.

9. 04-11-2017 04:51 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlifer27 View Post
      It says the roof is an option in the se. I doubt they will make a standard roof as well as a pano roof for the same car.
      I hope they don't do two different kinds of roofs, because I like the pano roof option.

I am totally on board with the SE trim, unless they canned the Fender audio system. If they did that, then I'm pushed into the Autobahn trim. Sunroof, big stereo, and cloth seats would be the preferred choice for me. I won't do leatherette again...I want the real stuff.
      Matt
      2016 Honda Accord Sport CVT w/ HondaSensing, Crystal Black Pearl/Black

10. 04-11-2017 08:04 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Mazda came out this spring with statements that CarPlay/AA support is coming.

Toyota and not Mazda is the automaker refusing to climb aboard the CP/AA bandwagon.
      They've been threatening a diesel for the US market for how many years now too? Mazda also is part of that same consortium that is to compete with AA/Carplay. So for one, their track record of delivering on promises is not very believable and given their membership along with Toyota indicates that *if* they get on board with AA/Carplay, it's probably a temporary stopgap at best if it happens at all.

Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      04-11-2017 08:14 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      I hope they don't do two different kinds of roofs, because I like the pano roof option.
      Be careful with a pano-roof, especially if you're tall as it eats a LOT into the head space.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

12. 04-11-2017 08:30 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      That's good to know, but locking up the rear is not exactly an ideal solution when in an emergency situation. With a manual handbrake you can pull up on the handle and not have the rear brakes lock up (unless you wanted them to).
      This is why I prefer a manual "emergency" brake to the electronic parking brake. In a genuine emergency (failure of hydraulics, or certain kinds of skids), I want the security of a hand brake that I can modulate. I don't know if I could do that with the electronic version.

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R
      04-11-2017 08:43 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      I'm not sure how the hill hold works in the Mk6, but in the Mk7, the 'Auto Hold', keeps the car at a complete stop until you start to press the gas pedal. So you're driving along, and come to a complete stop (let's say the car is going downhill for this example). You take you foot off of the brake pedal. The brake lights remain on. The car does not move. You even slowly let up on the clutch pedal until it starts to engage, but the car still doesn't move. It's not until you actually touch the gas pedal that the car begins to move. There's no time limit on the feature. Does the Mk6 hill hold do that?

The Auto Hold is good for relaxing your foot/leg at a long stoplight or in dead stopped traffic. It also acts as a hill hold if you happen to be on a hill. It's annoying as hell if you are trying to adjust the position of the car with just the clutch or DSG's natural forward motion (like if you were in a garage and wanted to move the car 2-3 inches). That's when the feature needs to be off.
      The auto hold in the Golf R has no time limit, but the GTI with its manual brake has a 2-3 second limit on its autohold.

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI, 2007 VW GTI (sold), 2013 Infiniti G37x Sedan
      04-11-2017 09:20 PM #114
      So when will they be at dealers and when will pricing be announced?
      Need VAG-COM work in CNY? PM me!

OEM+

Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      04-11-2017 11:40 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by julianv View Post
      This is why I prefer a manual "emergency" brake to the electronic parking brake. In a genuine emergency (failure of hydraulics, or certain kinds of skids), I want the security of a hand brake that I can modulate. I don't know if I could do that with the electronic version.
      In a genuine emergency situations, you will not have a chance to modulate a hand brake, regardless whether it is operated manually or via an electrical switch.

The only way to achieve what you're after is by installing a hydraulic system, a-la what you find in rally cars.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

16. Senior Member WineBasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      04-11-2017 11:44 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Be careful with a pano-roof, especially if you're tall as it eats a LOT into the head space.
      I am 6'2" and have never had any car with any form of sun roof or ttops be too low in the roof. Not even the A3 with pano approached it. Not even close. Same thing with rental converts like a Camaro. Total non issue.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

17. Senior Member WineBasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      04-11-2017 11:50 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post

I am totally on board with the SE trim, unless they canned the Fender audio system. If they did that, then I'm pushed into the Autobahn trim. Sunroof, big stereo, and cloth seats would be the preferred choice for me. I won't do leatherette again...I want the real stuff.
      Sunroof and cloth is a-okay with me. My Jetta S radio is not good, but I rarely listen to music in the car. It's fine for the few times I do. I welcome Fender being kicked up stream or to the options menu.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

18. Senior Member WineBasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      04-11-2017 11:52 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by derekjl View Post
      So when will they be at dealers and when will pricing be announced?
      Yes this is important because I may wanna pickup a 17 leftover if its late enough in the year.

19. 04-12-2017 12:06 AM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      In a genuine emergency situations, you will not have a chance to modulate a hand brake, regardless whether it is operated manually or via an electrical switch.

The only way to achieve what you're after is by installing a hydraulic system, a-la what you find in rally cars.
      Depends on the emergency situation. For a sudden panic stop, it could be hard to modulate a hand brake.

Many years ago, the steering linkage on my Corvair fell apart and the front wheels took off in different directions. Applying brakes via the pedal would send the car in unpredictable directions. But I was able to bring the car to a controlled stop by gently bringing up the hand brake.

I've also been in situations where a gentle application of hand brake would help to re-orient a car skidding on snow. And, yes, I know how to "steer into a skid."

Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      04-12-2017 12:32 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by julianv View Post

I've also been in situations where a gentle application of hand brake would help to re-orient a car skidding on snow. And, yes, I know how to "steer into a skid."
      Again, it really depends on a situation and a condition brake pads and cable are. If the road is icy, even a slight application of brakes is going to send a car into a skid.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit L, '15 Golf LE
      04-12-2017 01:00 AM #121
      I can't wait to retrofit those gauges and center console display into my '15 Golf. I am so sick of these outdated analog look digital gauges, that's one thing i have to say I like about the Volt and C7 quite a bit!

I'm guessing the retrofit will be $1500-$2500 but oh so worth it! Also no more knobs on the radio?! About god damn time!!!

I will say the facelift on all the models ar ehideous. The only exterior change I like are the Euro R LED tail lights, but we won't be getting them here.

22. Member bigdreamssmallwallet's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2006 M coupe, 2003 24v gti
      04-12-2017 06:14 AM #122
      The original ones look way better and classy.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CSG 4dr R, Nav/Sunroof
      04-12-2017 07:07 AM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      I am 6'2" and have never had any car with any form of sun roof or ttops be too low in the roof. Not even the A3 with pano approached it. Not even close. Same thing with rental converts like a Camaro. Total non issue.
      Really depends if your body type favors a longer torso or longer legs. Someone with a longer torso may have an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Passat W8 6MT Variant
      04-12-2017 07:55 AM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      When people state that sunroofs eat up headspace, are they talking about with the shade closed (if you have a sunroof, why would you ever close the shade?)?

Or, are they saying that the surrounding ceiling is lower in a model equipped with a sunroof than a comparable model lacking one?

I'm 6'4" and sunroofs are always preferable, even in small-ass 90s Japanese coupes. Never had to wear a helmet, so the issue has never been a problem for me.

25. 04-12-2017 10:34 AM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      " . . . if you have a sunroof, why would you ever close the shade?"
      Visit Austin Texas in August and it will be obvious.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast