Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruggedly Aggressive Chevrolet FNR-X Concept Crossover Debuts

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      04-19-2017 06:08 AM #1

The Chevrolet FNR-X all-purpose sports concept vehicle made its world premiere at Auto Shanghai 2017. Chevrolet previously showcased the Chevrolet-FNR (Find New Roads) concept vehicle developed by GM's Pan Asia Technical Automotive Center (PATAC) joint venture at Auto Shanghai 2015.

"The Chevrolet-FNR is one of Chevrolet's most forward-thinking concept cars, truly exemplifying the brand's passion for innovation and ingenuity," said Alan Batey, GM executive vice president and president of GM North America and Global Chevrolet. "The FNR-X builds on the design and technology showcased on the original FNR concept and embodies the belief at Chevrolet's core that anything is possible."

The futuristic-looking FNR-X draws inspiration from and exemplifies the century-old brand's combination of performance and versatility to meet multipurpose mobility demands.

The concept vehicle retains Chevrolet's signature powerful, attractive design language through clear, masculine lines. Dynamic digital LED headlights and taillights combine the brand's characteristic dual-element light design with the mortise and tenon joint used in traditional Chinese woodwork, delivering a high-tech, artistic feeling underpinned by the spirit of craftsmanship. Unique rear-hinged doors that can be controlled remotely ensure easy entry and exit.

The plug-in hybrid electric vehicle can switch between its engine and electric motor, while offering two driving modes: V (Versatility) and S (Sport). The FNR-X can modify its suspension and handling profile thanks to an adaptive suspension that adjusts ground clearance on demand.

The model's intelligent adaptive control systems, active grille shutters and switchable wheel blades adjust automatically during high-speed driving, reducing wind drag. The outstanding aerodynamic performance is further enhanced by front and rear spoilers and side skirts that move up and down in accordance with different driving modes.

The Chevrolet FNR-X has a creative, imaginative interior design that matches its exterior. Intelligent ambient lighting changes colors to match driving modes, making the cabin more user-friendly. Featuring high-tech fabrics, the cabin's hexagonal textures were inspired by graphene crystal structures - signifying the beginning of a new era for new energy.

The steering wheel and dashboard have a sporty integrated design. Seats ride on multipurpose rails and have fixed components to individualize storage space. Split-folding second-row seats maximize cargo capacity.

The Chevrolet FNR-X supports intelligent connected mobility for individual users. It incorporates an Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) dynamic display system, a unique intelligent speech interaction system and an ID-customizable information system.

With the all-terrain Advanced Driver Assist System (ADAS), in addition to optical and acoustic recognition sensors all over its body, the FNR-X provides highly autonomous driver assistance by choosing the best route based on its predictions for complex road conditions. Its panoramic intelligent augmented reality head-up display offers a clear 270-degree posterior-lateral view to maximize safety and driving pleasure.

Last edited by Mazda 3s; 04-19-2017 at 06:43 AM.
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      04-19-2017 06:36 AM #2
      Overheard at Lexus HQ somewhere in Toyota City:

"Goddammit!"

The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      04-19-2017 06:40 AM #3
      ^^^

was thinking the same damn thing
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

Vehicles
      04-19-2017 06:47 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      ^^^

was thinking the same damn thing
      That's the second time in as many days I've been compelled to post that!

Much to our collective TCL chagrin, apparently flamed styling and Predator front clips are trending.

Lovely.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      04-19-2017 07:27 AM #5
      Looks good.

I've been wondering what a Chevy CUV would look like, if Chevy applied Corvette or Camaro styling cues, in the same fashion that Porsche's CUVs have adopted 911 styling cues. I guess this concept addresses those ponderings. From the bumper up, the front end is very much an evolution of the Camaro. The roof detailing and aero venting looks inspired by the hood detailing of the Corvette. There's also a lot of current Cruze and Impala surfacing reflected in the bodyside modeling. A mid-sized, two-row CUV would likely spell the end of the Impala sedan, so it's appropriate that such a vehicle would take some influence from the Impala.

Chevy is rumored to launch a CUV between the Equinox and Traverse, so something like this concept would fill that gap quite nicely, while giving Chevy a sporty alternative/competitor to Ford's Edge.
      Last edited by whitejeep1989; 04-19-2017 at 07:33 AM.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Chevy SS
      04-19-2017 07:31 AM #6
      I actually don't mind the styling language. It manages to be aggressive and futuristic without going overboard with the grille shapes and every surface being brought to a sharp point (I'm looking at you, Toyota/Lexus). I like the balance of the proportions and the flared wheel arches with the drawn-in midsection.
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

Vehicles
      04-19-2017 08:09 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ArmenB View Post
      I actually don't mind the styling language. It manages to be aggressive and futuristic without going overboard with the grille shapes and every surface being brought to a sharp point (I'm looking at you, Toyota/Lexus). I like the balance of the proportions and the flared wheel arches with the drawn-in midsection.
      I really don't mind this, either. I see it as an evolution of the Lexus design language with far better execution, all while wearing a Bowtie instead of an L.

I'm hoping this is the direction Chebby is going with their overall design language, at least at the front end. The bar grille motif is pretty fugly in most of its forms, excepting the updated Cruze and Impala, and even the Malipoo in certain trims.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      04-19-2017 08:17 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ArmenB View Post
      And I see a lot of Camaro influence in it, which is good. Wonder if there's enough of a market for a performance-oriented Macan fighter from a mass-market brand? This styling, Alpha platform, AWD, turbo four or V6.....
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      04-19-2017 08:28 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by DeeJoker View Post
      I really don't mind this, either. I see it as an evolution of the Lexus design language with far better execution, all while wearing a Bowtie instead of an L.

I'm hoping this is the direction Chebby is going with their overall design language, at least at the front end. The bar grille motif is pretty fugly in most of its forms, excepting the updated Cruze and Impala, and even the Malipoo in certain trims.
      Agreed. I think it looks GREAT actually. Hope it makes it here.
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2005 Outback XT, 2014 Soul!, 2004 A6 3.0
      04-19-2017 09:10 AM #10
      So is it built on the Alpha platform? It definitely has RWD proportions, and the idea of a domestic X5/Macan fighter is outstanding (though the 1st-gen SRX sold like garbage compared to the 2nd-gen FWD chassis)
      Audi TT FAQ --- Maintenance, Misfires, and a XT Spec-B swap --- Great Lakes TCL Registry

Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      that excalated quickly.

Vehicles
      '16 e-Golf SE, '00 GTI 1.8t, '15 Accord Sport CVT, '92 F-250 4X4
      04-19-2017 09:30 AM #11

Much to our collective TCL chagrin, apparently flamed styling and Predator front clips are trending.

Lovely.
      I see this as a good thing. The more companies that adopt it and the more commonplace it becomes, to closer we get to it being boring. So what's the next "breakthrough" in styling going to be after this runs its course in the next 5-10 years? Smooth, curvy bodies. Designers will look to the Jag E-types and Ferrari 250 GTOs and say "we should make cars look like THAT!" It will be glorious. [ /wishful thinking ]

But all that said, this thing does look pretty good.

12. 04-19-2017 09:34 AM #12
      That looks great. Now make it GM and bring it here!

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      04-19-2017 09:38 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      And I see a lot of Camaro influence in it, which is good. Wonder if there's enough of a market for a performance-oriented Macan fighter from a mass-market brand? This styling, Alpha platform, AWD, turbo four or V6.....
      Same here, a Camero on steroids, I dig it.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      04-19-2017 09:38 AM #14
      I don't imagine the suicide doors with no pillar are going to stick around past the concept stage.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      04-19-2017 09:49 AM #15
      not bad
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      04-19-2017 09:50 AM #16
      Yowza. GM has been on a design streak recently, but they hit it out of the park with this one.

Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      04-19-2017 09:59 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      Yowza. GM has been on a design streak recently, but they hit it out of the park with this one.
      agreed.
      Muh cahs: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group -*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      The head gardeners name is Lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Hey leave him alone. Get off Mike Lawn.
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      All chaps are assless. If chaps have an ass then then they're pants.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      04-19-2017 09:59 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      So is it built on the Alpha platform? It definitely has RWD proportions, and the idea of a domestic X5/Macan fighter is outstanding (though the 1st-gen SRX sold like garbage compared to the 2nd-gen FWD chassis)
      I think that was more positioning and marketing, though, than anything wrong with the concept - X3s and GLCs sell well, and so does the F-Pace. I think it could be positioned as a sort of budget F-Pace or Macan alternative and sell well - still a niche product, but probably would triple SS sales.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

19. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2013 Ford Focus Electric
      04-19-2017 10:40 AM #19
      Next gen Trax with 1st world styling?

Vehicles
      2017 White GTI Sport 6MT
      04-19-2017 10:42 AM #20
      Oh boy another crossover. Moms everywhere rejoice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2003 Wolfsburg, 2008 Fit Sport, 2010 Kizashi S, 2012 500 Sport, 2000 4Runner, 2015 CX5, 1975 MGB
      04-19-2017 10:52 AM #21

That cheesy tacked-on gold bow-tie. It's worse than a cheesy car-dealer sticker because it's on the focal point of the car. Couldn't they make it black and sleek or something?
      Power is knowledge

04-19-2017 11:04 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselmilk View Post
      Oh boy another crossover. Moms everywhere rejoice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I SUPPORT ROZAPS CUZ I CAN'T POSSIBLY VIEW EVERY THREAD ON THIS BOARD

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      04-19-2017 11:16 AM #23
      That looks fantastic. I don't know where you're all getting Alpha platform... Chevy said nothing about what this is based on and there's no prestige gap. Can the Alpha platform be hybridized, anyway?

I can see this influencing the design of US models, but I don't think it's a direct preview of any.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      I don't imagine the suicide doors with no pillar are going to stick around past the concept stage.
      No ****
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

24. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      04-19-2017 11:49 AM #24
      How is it that they can style something that bold and handsome and rugged (which it should be since it is perceived to be SUV-like) and then actually produce the insanely soft/weak, new Equinox?

25. Member
      04-19-2017 12:18 PM #25
      Hmmm...looks like an attractive Lexus.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast