VWVortex.com - New guy with a new problem...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 14 of 14

    Thread: New guy with a new problem...

    1. 04-19-2017 10:39 PM #1
      Hey fellow VDub fam... hit a pothole and apparently bent my rim. I don't think it's bent but the dealership says it is... anyway got an alignment and looking at some rims. (I'm fixing to get the car back and gonna bring it somewhere else to see if it's even bent btw...) Don't wanna go crazy expensive but I've found some I like. Just curious if Enkei are any good and what about some take-off VSR's?? Here's a pic. Wondering how'd they'd look on a 2016 silver GLI. Or if anyone has suggestions I'm all ears people.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    2. Member BlkSTIG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 24th, 2007
      Location
      Honolulu Hawaii
      Posts
      485
      Vehicles
      Current:14 Autobahn GLI - Sold:06 DSG GLI, 04 DBP R32, 02 337 Edition
      04-19-2017 11:45 PM #2
      Those looks nice but I would recommend some Neuspeed lightweight wheels. I say this as I just installed a set and I'm extremely happy. Fitment is perfect and they aren't crazy expensive. Got my set from ESEtuning.com shipped to Hawaii for $1400.

      18x8" Et45 19lbs per corner.






    3. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      6,817
      Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      04-20-2017 09:06 AM #3
      My husband has bent wheels on his GLI several times since he's owned it so I wouldn't be surprised if you bent one. He's gotten them fixed and all has been well since. Neither of us have had a bent wheel before until he got this car...seems like an issue with the wheels on the car?
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '16 GLI SE

    4. 04-20-2017 09:51 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by BlkSTIG View Post
      Those looks nice but I would recommend some Neuspeed lightweight wheels. I say this as I just installed a set and I'm extremely happy. Fitment is perfect and they aren't crazy expensive. Got my set from ESEtuning.com shipped to Hawaii for $1400.

      18x8" Et45 19lbs per corner.





      Those are clean dude! A little put my price range but the car is looking right! Thanks for sharing!


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    5. 04-20-2017 09:51 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      My husband has bent wheels on his GLI several times since he's owned it so I wouldn't be surprised if you bent one. He's gotten them fixed and all has been well since. Neither of us have had a bent wheel before until he got this car...seems like an issue with the wheels on the car?
      I wasn't sure if I could have them Trued or not. I figured it wasn't possible.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    6. 04-20-2017 11:05 AM #6
      He just had them sent off somewhere? I'm trying to weigh my options and less than 200 for a repair or 600 for a new one. I'm leaning towards getting it fixed lol.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    7. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      6,817
      Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      04-20-2017 11:32 AM #7
      Just went to a local wheel repair place and had them fixed. Seem to be fine now. One of the times he had a bent wheel we hit a pothole bad enough that it bubbled the tire sidewall. No vibrations after the fix.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '16 GLI SE

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2017
      Posts
      233
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Jetta 1.4T
      04-20-2017 11:34 AM #8
      Probably best to buy OEM if you can find them

    9. 04-20-2017 12:35 PM #9
      Just trying to find the perfect look and I'm kinda rushed cause I don't wanna ruin my tires I have on their now.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    10. 04-21-2017 09:44 AM #10
      [QUOTE=BlkSTIG;104849442]Those looks nice but I would recommend some Neuspeed lightweight wheels. I say this as I just installed a set and I'm extremely happy. Fitment is perfect and they aren't crazy expensive. Got my set from ESEtuning.com shipped to Hawaii for $1400.

      I found some Enkei's that were pretty close. The gap on the spokes was a little less. Aren't they a pretty good brand? Oh and they were a little closer to my price range.. lol.




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    11. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2014
      Location
      MO
      Posts
      15
      Vehicles
      2014 GLI, 04 V8 Egg, other stuff
      04-21-2017 11:55 AM #11
      If you run low profile tires, you will bend your rims and bubble or ripple your sidewalls - guaranteed. Best thing is to know your roads and pay extra attention on the roads you aren't familiar with. I highly recommend getting your tire shops tire warranty to cover buckled sidewalls, as I had mentioned, you will use the warranty to prorate for a new tire when you hit a decent pot hole.

      Instead of emptying your bank account for a single set of wheels, like Vossen's for example on a $25K car, I would put some wheels at 150-250 a pop, no pun intended, so you have room to order another wheel when needed. Find out from your local municipality as to what the process is to file a claim when you do encounter a neglected roadway and it costs you a tire, wheel, and possible alignment issue. Policies vary as some will say if it's a new pot hole they will cover you but if they already knew about it but haven't fixed it yet you're S.O.L. but I bet they find the time to fix that pot hole soon after you call them.

      I do not have experience with Enkei wheels but I can tell you that anything made by MHT/Niche could be a bad choice. I've got about 5 months of emails to prove this and pics.
      Pretty much stock

    12. 04-21-2017 03:17 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by fknmove View Post
      If you run low profile tires, you will bend your rims and bubble or ripple your sidewalls - guaranteed. Best thing is to know your roads and pay extra attention on the roads you aren't familiar with. I highly recommend getting your tire shops tire warranty to cover buckled sidewalls, as I had mentioned, you will use the warranty to prorate for a new tire when you hit a decent pot hole.

      Instead of emptying your bank account for a single set of wheels, like Vossen's for example on a $25K car, I would put some wheels at 150-250 a pop, no pun intended, so you have room to order another wheel when needed. Find out from your local municipality as to what the process is to file a claim when you do encounter a neglected roadway and it costs you a tire, wheel, and possible alignment issue. Policies vary as some will say if it's a new pot hole they will cover you but if they already knew about it but haven't fixed it yet you're S.O.L. but I bet they find the time to fix that pot hole soon after you call them.

      I do not have experience with Enkei wheels but I can tell you that anything made by MHT/Niche could be a bad choice. I've got about 5 months of emails to prove this and pics.
      Wow I appreciate your time and information!! And that last statement is scary considering I just found some Niche M129 Targa's that I really like... I didn't know they were a bad to deal with though.
      And I'm running the stock 225/40r18 tires that came on the car.
      I'm somewhat rushing and I shouldn't be. I just don't want to drive with a bad rim too long and ruin my tires ya know? What brands would you recommend me looking at?
      And maybe message me the pictures of the bent rims?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    13. Member Ttone74's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 2015
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      1,092
      Vehicles
      2015 GLI SE, 2015 GLI SEL, 2015 Audi A4 Sline
      04-21-2017 07:47 PM #13
      Have you thought about getting 17" wheels to add some sidewalk for protection? I love my GLI on its winter 16's with a fat 55 sidewalk. Just get V rated tires and the car keeps it's cornering abilities intact.
      RIP: 1989 Mercury Tracer 5 speed 3 dr hatchback, 1995 VW Jetta GL 6 speed, 1997 Jetta GLS 5 Speed, 1999 Ford Escort Wagon, 1998 Mercury Sable Wagon, 2011 Audi A4, 2012 Ford Focus SEL, 2013 Jetta 2.5 SEL w/ Navigation.

    14. 04-22-2017 08:42 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Ttone74 View Post
      Have you thought about getting 17" wheels to add some sidewalk for protection? I love my GLI on its winter 16's with a fat 55 sidewalk. Just get V rated tires and the car keeps it's cornering abilities intact.
      No I didn't think about that. I like the stock look it has now. I don't wanna go smaller. I guess I just need to drive more carefully. Lol.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    For advertising information click HERE

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •