VWVortex.com - V8's Trucks vs. Cars---dumb question
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Results 1 to 21 of 21

    Thread: V8's Trucks vs. Cars---dumb question

    1. Senior Member 16vracer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 1999
      Location
      WA toolanddyedesigns.com
      Posts
      25,353
      Vehicles
      '14 Odyssey Elite, '16 Jetta 1.4T '16 Prius '05 Evo GSR 509whp gone, '16 Prius Two
      04-19-2017 11:53 PM #1
      This just struck me the other day while driving my daughter to soccer practice. We live an area with a lot of NW rednecks and as such there are a lot of pick-ups and bro-dozers. My observation has been that most of the truck owners install an aftermarket exhaust making them fairly loud. No big deal, I like loud cars--daily'd a stripped caged Evo.
      Anyway, what's the difference in a V8 truck motor vs a sedan/coupe/sports car V8? Really dumb, been a car guy for decades but I never even thought about it.
      They sound completely different, especially noticeable with aftermarket exhausts.

      **Not DIESELS***

      -Fred
      Last edited by 16vracer; 04-19-2017 at 11:58 PM.
      Check out my store for unique automotive shirts http://toolanddyedesigns.com

      http://elitesurvivor.com '05 Evo GSR 509whp gone 06 Evo RS 409whp gone '11 LR4 HSE LUX '14 Odyssey Elite

    2. Senior Member Ryukein's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2006
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      26,663
      Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      04-19-2017 11:55 PM #2
      All of those trucks are probably diesels.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

    3. Member MGQ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2002
      Location
      The City (:-l)
      Posts
      9,400
      Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      04-19-2017 11:55 PM #3
      many times same engine but one is tuned for low end torque.

    4. Senior Member 16vracer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 1999
      Location
      WA toolanddyedesigns.com
      Posts
      25,353
      Vehicles
      '14 Odyssey Elite, '16 Jetta 1.4T '16 Prius '05 Evo GSR 509whp gone, '16 Prius Two
      04-19-2017 11:56 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      All of those trucks are probably diesels.
      I should have added that in, I'm a diesel fan--these are regular gas engines.
      Check out my store for unique automotive shirts http://toolanddyedesigns.com

      http://elitesurvivor.com '05 Evo GSR 509whp gone 06 Evo RS 409whp gone '11 LR4 HSE LUX '14 Odyssey Elite

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2011
      Location
      Chino Hills
      Posts
      1,093
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      04-19-2017 11:59 PM #5
      In the case of my project trucks engine the 4.6 2V. The truck intake
      manifold I am using has about 6 inch longer runners then the car manifolds. It uses the same cams, and heads as the car version. Plus there are some small tuning differences.

      It pretty much goes for GM, and Dodge vehicles too.
      Focus ST which stands for Suspension Technologies.

      That means it does things magically. In such ways I can not describe, but it is better in every way.

    6. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2001
      Posts
      27,885
      04-20-2017 12:00 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 16vracer View Post
      Anyway, what's the difference in a V8 truck motor vs a sedan/coupe/sports car V8? Really dumb, been a car guy for decades but I never even thought about it.
      Sometimes not much.

      Ford 5.0L Coyote engine in Mustang and F-150:


    7. Senior Member VarianceVQ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 26th, 2005
      Location
      Fancy College Town, Connecticut
      Posts
      21,189
      Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V
      04-20-2017 12:04 AM #7
      My assumption would be in that V8s in trucks tend to be lower/slower revving and are paired with bigger intakes and exhausts that you could fit to cars. All of this would impact the sound you get from them.
      We have searched every square inch of this base and all we have found is porno, porno, PORNO!

    8. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      33,429
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      04-20-2017 12:21 AM #8
      there are a bunch of different reasons possible.

      -tuning hp vs tq
      -cams
      -heads
      -compression
      -intakes
      -exhaust
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

    9. 04-20-2017 08:23 AM #9
      The biggest difference is the car version usually makes more power due to better airflow.

      In the Chevy 6.2 the Corvette makes more power due to a better intake manifold and larger throttle body. The Coyote 5.0 makes more power in the Mustang due to higher compression and better flowing intake camshafts. I'm sure the stock exhaust manifolds on both engines are designed for more power as well.

      The only one that I can think of that this isn't true for is the 5.7 Hemi. It makes more power in the RAM than in the Durango and Charger/Challenger.

    10. Senior Member 16vracer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 1999
      Location
      WA toolanddyedesigns.com
      Posts
      25,353
      Vehicles
      '14 Odyssey Elite, '16 Jetta 1.4T '16 Prius '05 Evo GSR 509whp gone, '16 Prius Two
      04-20-2017 12:54 PM #10
      Thanks for the replies
      Check out my store for unique automotive shirts http://toolanddyedesigns.com

      http://elitesurvivor.com '05 Evo GSR 509whp gone 06 Evo RS 409whp gone '11 LR4 HSE LUX '14 Odyssey Elite

    11. Member lorge1989's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2008
      Location
      Buffalo, New York
      Posts
      3,113
      Vehicles
      '88 Audi 90 20V(handofgod) MS3X | '94 Audi 90 V8
      04-20-2017 12:57 PM #11
      I would say not much... I used to rip my dads old conversion van, I've been told it sounded like a mustang many times.

    12. Member 4.OMG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 20th, 2004
      Location
      SE MI
      Posts
      4,197
      Vehicles
      It varies.
      04-20-2017 01:13 PM #12
      Are you asking about mechanical differences or exhaust note?

      In terms of mechanical differences, almost everything can be different-cylinder heads, cams, exhaust manifold design, intake ducting, etc.

      In terms of exhaust note, a given vehicle can sound completely different (not just louder) with an aftermarket exhaust. "Turbo" (i.e., packed with fiberglass) mufflers sound different than chambered mufflers (like Flowmaster, Magnaflow, etc.). Not all chambered mufflers sound the same. A burnt out, leaky turbo muffler has a unique (and offputting) sound. Some people don't have mufflers at all. Larger diameter pipes can change the tone and volume, as can configuration. A truck might come from the factory with a y-pipe converging into a single 2.5" pipe but an aftermarket setup might eliminate the Y-pipe to achieve true dual exhaust. Cast iron manifolds can be swapped for tubular headers.

      Just as one example, for years, V8 Mustangs have come from the factory with tubular headers, catted dual midpipes, and dual mufflers and tail pipes while Ford trucks have traditionally had cast iron manifolds and a single pipe exhaust.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 27th, 2016
      Location
      Vancouver Island
      Posts
      130
      Vehicles
      2016 GSW TSI, AT, Comfortline, H&R street performance coil-overs
      04-20-2017 01:24 PM #13
      Here's a comparison from back in the '70's, when GM was putting 427 big blocks in both tandem dump trucks and corvettes:

      Both 4 bolt main blocks, I think the cranks in the dump trucks were cast not forged. Different rods, pistons, intakes, heads, valves, cams. Both had Holley carbs but of course different sizes, jets etc. Different flywheels, harmonic balancers etc too. Mainly because the design RPMs were so different. The dump trucks I drove all had the 5x4 transmissions (5 speed main, 4 sp auxiliary) and it took about 2 miles to get up to 50mph...painfully slow with a 15t load on. They got so hot working in gravel pits that you had to open the hood when you stopped to let air in to keep the fuel from percolating in the carb. 40C, no air conditioning, dusty too--we changed oil every week and washed out the oil bath air filter every couple of days or more.

    14. Member 4.OMG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 20th, 2004
      Location
      SE MI
      Posts
      4,197
      Vehicles
      It varies.
      04-20-2017 01:32 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Dirtmvr View Post
      Here's a comparison from back in the '70's, when GM was putting 427 big blocks in both tandem dump trucks and corvettes:

      Both 4 bolt main blocks, I think the cranks in the dump trucks were cast not forged. Different rods, pistons, intakes, heads, valves, cams. Both had Holley carbs but of course different sizes, jets etc. Different flywheels, harmonic balancers etc too. Mainly because the design RPMs were so different. The dump trucks I drove all had the 5x4 transmissions (5 speed main, 4 sp auxiliary) and it took about 2 miles to get up to 50mph...painfully slow with a 15t load on. They got so hot working in gravel pits that you had to open the hood when you stopped to let air in to keep the fuel from percolating in the carb. 40C, no air conditioning, dusty too--we changed oil every week and washed out the oil bath air filter every couple of days or more.
      Or between 1996 and 2000, a GM truck could have an L31 Vortec motor built on the Gen 1 SBC architecture while a Corvette or F-body would have either an LT1 or an LS1. All 3 are 5.7 liter V8s, but completely different animals
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

    15. Member BluMagic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2008
      Location
      The middle west
      Posts
      5,471
      Vehicles
      Twin Turbo Barge & Old Japanese Land Yacht
      04-20-2017 01:37 PM #15
      An UZ is great in either

    16. Member H.E. Pennypacker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2010
      Location
      By the Bay, CA
      Posts
      2,324
      Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2012 Camry L
      04-20-2017 02:17 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      Are you asking about mechanical differences or exhaust note?

      In terms of mechanical differences, almost everything can be different-cylinder heads, cams, exhaust manifold design, intake ducting, etc.

      In terms of exhaust note, a given vehicle can sound completely different (not just louder) with an aftermarket exhaust. "Turbo" (i.e., packed with fiberglass) mufflers sound different than chambered mufflers (like Flowmaster, Magnaflow, etc.). Not all chambered mufflers sound the same. A burnt out, leaky turbo muffler has a unique (and offputting) sound. Some people don't have mufflers at all. Larger diameter pipes can change the tone and volume, as can configuration. A truck might come from the factory with a y-pipe converging into a single 2.5" pipe but an aftermarket setup might eliminate the Y-pipe to achieve true dual exhaust. Cast iron manifolds can be swapped for tubular headers.

      Just as one example, for years, V8 Mustangs have come from the factory with tubular headers, catted dual midpipes, and dual mufflers and tail pipes while Ford trucks have traditionally had cast iron manifolds and a single pipe exhaust.
      What he said. Also consider the exhaust is higher off the ground, and depending on how bro-y the dozer, could even be at or above head height which would make it considerably louder.
      LS1 Volvo Thread

      Previously owned - MkV R32 #3917, 2008 Silverado 1500 VHO 4x4

    17. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      33,429
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      04-20-2017 03:59 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Dirtmvr View Post
      Here's a comparison from back in the '70's, when GM was putting 427 big blocks in both tandem dump trucks and corvettes:

      Both 4 bolt main blocks, I think the cranks in the dump trucks were cast not forged. Different rods, pistons, intakes, heads, valves, cams. Both had Holley carbs but of course different sizes, jets etc. Different flywheels, harmonic balancers etc too. Mainly because the design RPMs were so different. The dump trucks I drove all had the 5x4 transmissions (5 speed main, 4 sp auxiliary) and it took about 2 miles to get up to 50mph...painfully slow with a 15t load on. They got so hot working in gravel pits that you had to open the hood when you stopped to let air in to keep the fuel from percolating in the carb. 40C, no air conditioning, dusty too--we changed oil every week and washed out the oil bath air filter every couple of days or more.
      Those 427/454s in medium duty trucks were tall deck blocks, as were the big block 366s in schoolbuses etc. Technically similar but not quite interchangeable without some homework and trickery.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

    18. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      33,429
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      04-20-2017 04:15 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Those 427/454s in medium duty trucks were tall deck blocks, as were the big block 366s in schoolbuses etc. Technically similar but not quite interchangeable without some homework and trickery.
      Also, I think all tall deck big blocks came with forged and nitrided cranks/rods and 4 bolt mains.
      Last edited by patrikman; 04-20-2017 at 04:17 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 27th, 2016
      Location
      Vancouver Island
      Posts
      130
      Vehicles
      2016 GSW TSI, AT, Comfortline, H&R street performance coil-overs
      04-20-2017 05:56 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Also, I think all tall deck big blocks came with forged and nitrided cranks/rods and 4 bolt mains.
      Thanks, I couldn't remember, but I'm pretty sure that anytime they used a four bolt main the crank would have been forged so that makes sense. Those truck blocks suffered pretty severe service conditions!

    20. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      East-10EC
      Posts
      72,815
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      04-20-2017 07:14 PM #20
      Most V8 trucks have a single large rear side corner exhaust* while V8 cars have dual rear exhaust.
      That can definitely change the way they sound while driving by.

      *probably for towing reasons, or even due to the turbulence in the rear sucking fumes back to the bed.
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

    21. Member Triumph's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2000
      Location
      Northern VA
      Posts
      9,961
      Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      04-21-2017 09:20 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      Not all chambered mufflers sound the same. A burnt out, leaky turbo muffler has a unique (and offputting) sound.
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

      I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

    For advertising information click HERE

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •