VWVortex.com - The Gross Polluter is gone, and we are embracing our electrified future. (Bolt content within...)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 107

    Thread: The Gross Polluter is gone, and we are embracing our electrified future. (Bolt content within...)

    1. Member OOOO-A3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 19th, 2004
      Location
      KILG
      Posts
      8,440
      Vehicles
      2013 Volt; 1/35th of a Model 3
      04-20-2017 04:33 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by kickapoo View Post
      Close but not quite

      Line 63 is the result of your tax liability based on your adjusted income (Line 44), whatever credits you are claiming (sum of lines 57 thru 62), and other taxes from lines 57 thru 62. The $7500 is line 54 (part of box c). Line 63 then looks at the difference between your tax liability, your credits and other taxes.

      To take full advantage of the $7500, the $7500 plus any other credits within lines 48-54 cannot exceed your tax from line 47. If I recall, it specifically states that if your sum of credits exceeds your lines 48-54 is greater than your tax obligation from line 47, your resultant in line 46 is "0". Line 63 then taxes your tax liability from line 56 and add's things like self-employment tax, unreported social security, etc.

      If you take no other credits in lines 48-54 and claim no other taxes in lines 57-62, your tax on line 47 should be greater than or equal to $7500 to take full advantage. Per the 2016 tax tables, (if you are filing single), your adjusted gross income should be no less than $46,900.

      Lastly, your refund is then the difference between line 64 (what you paid) and line 63 (what you owe).

      -disclaimer, I'm not a tax person...
      I agree with what you explained, if you're talking about the year in which you are claiming the $7500 credit. That credit would be already accounted for in the number on Line 63, so you are 100% correct.

      However, in terms of answering the poster's question about whether s/he could expect to get the full credit, if they look at LAST year's return, the number on line 63 should already account for any other credits they claim on 48-54, and should tell them if they have "room" for an additional credit of $7500. I think we're saying the same thing, just looking at it from two different time points.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2011
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      905
      Vehicles
      '17 Volt, '86 BMW 325E
      04-20-2017 04:35 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      I agree with what you explained, if you're talking about the year in which you are claiming the $7500 credit. That credit would be already accounted for in the number on Line 63, so you are 100% correct.

      However, in terms of answering the poster's question about whether s/he could expect to get the full credit, if they look at LAST year's return, the number on line 63 should already account for any other credits they claim on 48-54, and should tell them if they have "room" for an additional credit of $7500. I think we're saying the same thing, just looking at it from two different time points.
      You're right, I misread that. Internet high five

    3. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      22,992
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-20-2017 04:54 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      I see you've discovered that the display backgrounds can be permanently set to 'dark mode' One photo request, if possible: can you post a pic of (4?) standard rollaboard bags in the back with the seats *not* folded? I think if they're standing upright and facing sideways that 4 will fit.
      Yep. My other half is a UX dev by training, and the 'dark mode' was the only option that was deemed acceptable.

      We don't have four rollaboard bags, but I'll see what I can do on demoing luggage for you.

    4. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      22,992
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-20-2017 04:56 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by MrBarrelNut View Post
      "Aperture Laboratories" sticker? Do you work for Valve?

      Nice car BTW, I'm seriously considering buying the Opel Ampera-e when they start selling it here in Finland. I just hope that the adaptive cruise control becomes available for 2018 models.
      Nah, although Valve is right across the bridge in Bellevue.

      The window cling was part of a release package of one of the Portal games, IIRC. It's moved across three cars over the past 6 years.

    5. 04-20-2017 05:17 PM #30
      My partner got one two months ago in the same color, Premier, and nearly all options. Out the door MSRP (nobody is discounting this car unless it's on the dealer's lot in one of the more polarizing colors like orange) plus taxes and fees, etc. = $50K. (EDIT: this also includes an extended warranty, but don't forget then from that $50K you can start subtracting federal and state tax credits.)

      I'm giving GM points for a generally well executed product that feels like an imported brand's product (for the most part) from a driving dynamics standpoint.

      Our favorite feature is the 360-degree view on the infotainment when the rear camera is on. It's just awesome. Wish all cars had that.

      Ride and handling are very good overall with my ride gripe being that despite being slightly nose-heavy on paper (it's still not a 50/50 weight distribution), it actually feels like there's people sitting in the back and a full load in the trunk *all the time*. The back end seems a tad under-damped and so the car has a slight fore-aft rocking see-saw motion over bumps that is more perceptible than other cars do as if there is an imaginary axis running through halfway up both B-pillars around which the car rocks. GM can probably can put stiffer shocks in back.

      As for defects, the infotainment has occasionally froze on startup and unless it dumps and reboots after a few minutes on its own, the only way to get it going again is to stop the car, turn the car off, and open the driver's door (which is the only way to fully kill power to the infotainment AFAIK). The infotainment also is not as responsive as it could be (for example, we have a lot of trouble having our softkey-press on "return to Chevrolet" from inside Android Auto to respond). The driver's sunvisor clip also feels like it's about to break and come out (whereas the passenger one is solid).

      We got the light interior (I forget what it's called) and the biggest issue there is the carpets and carpeted mats are also just as light. BIG mistake on GM's part - need to have black carpets. The first step in at the dealer left awful footprints everywhere. Definitely get the optional rubber black mats. Even so, the front mats are stupid-short (they are almost square like a rear mat) and need to go farther up into the footwell towards the firewall, but they help a lot.

      We understand the cost-cutting on the inside that enabled GM to get a robust battery and range while keeping the price down, but yet they have odd ways of doing it. Despite being the Premier model, the front seats are entirely manual, have flimsy-feeling levers, and no extra adjustable lumbar support. No Homelink mirror available at all either, which is odd given that this car seems to otherwise be an electronic tech showcase. Yet they go and make the mirror have an optional display that uses the rear camera to give a panoramic view of what is behind you - go figure. It's sort of a cool feature but not that necessary either and we would rather just have had a self-dimming mirror with Homelink. Heated seats all around I guess are nice, but I would have made the rear one a standalone option (how many people really have rear passengers enough to really warrant it?). I would also like to have seen the infotainment have Mirrorlink (don't other GMs have it?) to try out (it does have AA and Carplay though).

      Driving-wise the dual-modes are handy, but I don't understand why I can't switch from L (largely one-pedal driving) to D (like a normal car). IIRC I can go from L to D but not D to L without going past D to N first and then back into D. Seems rather dangerous actually.

      We are also finding that around town, L is the way to go not only for the one-pedal driving, but the regeneration is so good that we run a few errands around town and arrive home with an indicated full battery again. When it comes to range, it's freeway driving w/o much regeneration opportunities that drink up the juice, but around town the thing is nearly 100% self sufficient.

      All in all we love it, but it does have some quirks as to the functionality and features that make us scratch our heads as to why GM did what they did.
      Last edited by gti_matt; 04-21-2017 at 12:37 PM.

    6. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2001
      Posts
      27,974
      04-20-2017 05:51 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      My only quibble is the comfort of the front seats. They are a space and weight saving design, which means they feel like a 'thin pad' coach seat on a domestic airline. Fine for short trips, but I found myself shifting around a bit after 2+ hours.
      There is this thread on a Bolt-specific forum about adding more padding under the original padding to raise the middle of the seat bottom, making it less sporty but less bothersome for people who may not fit as well between the side bolsters: http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/vie...hp?f=11&t=6157

    7. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2001
      Posts
      27,974
      04-20-2017 05:53 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Driving-wise the dual-modes are handy, but I don't understand why I can't switch from L (largely one-pedal driving) to D (like a normal car). IIRC I can go from L to D but not D to L without going past D to N first and then back into D. Seems rather dangerous actually.
      If the shifter is in L, pulling it back is supposed to toggle it back to D.

    8. 04-20-2017 06:00 PM #33
      We dipped our toes in the EV waters with a used 2015 Nissan LEAF. It has been fantastic over the 3,000 miles we have put on it since December 15. The silent torque is just hard to describe or believe until you experience it. My wife drives it on her daily commute of 11 miles round trip. Obviously no issues with range. I really like the Bolt and am anxiously awaiting a chance to drive one. A Bolt and a LEAF would be a great garage for us. Please do updates as time and miles go by.

    9. 04-20-2017 06:01 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      If the shifter is in L, pulling it back is supposed to toggle it back to D.
      Oooh! Will try that. Since 'L' is at the bottom of the indicated pattern, it never occurred to us to pull it rearward (again) to go "up".

      but we will try it. Thanks!

    10. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      22,992
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-20-2017 06:40 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      My partner got one two months ago in the same color, Premier, and nearly all options. Out the door MSRP (nobody is discounting this car unless it's on the dealer's lot in one of the more polarizing colors like orange) plus taxes and fees, etc. = $50K.

      I'm giving GM points for a generally well executed product that feels like an imported brand's product (for the most part) from a driving dynamics standpoint.

      Our favorite feature is the 360-degree view on the infotainment when the rear camera is on. It's just awesome. Wish all cars had that.
      Agreed--it's a feature I forgot to call out. The front camera makes up for it not having parking sensors up front, too. It's fantastic.

      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Ride and handling are very good overall with my ride gripe being that despite being slightly nose-heavy on paper (it's still not a 50/50 weight distribution), it actually feels like there's people sitting in the back and a full load in the trunk *all the time*. The back end seems a tad under-damped and so the car has a slight fore-aft rocking see-saw motion over bumps that is more perceptible than other cars do as if there is an imaginary axis running through halfway up both B-pillars around which the car rocks. GM can probably can put stiffer shocks in back.
      I haven't noted the seesawing motion yet, but I do agree you can feel the weight of the big lump of batteries under the rear seat on things like cloverleafs.

      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      As for defects, the infotainment has occasionally froze on startup and unless it dumps and reboots after a few minutes on its own, the only way to get it going again is to stop the car, turn the car off, and open the driver's door (which is the only way to fully kill power to the infotainment AFAIK). The infotainment also is not as responsive as it could be (for example, we have a lot of trouble having our softkey-press on "return to Chevrolet" from inside Android Auto to respond).
      The only issue we've had with the infotainment is when CarPlay dumps connectivity, which is something I also experience with my GTI. CarPlay is also not as fluid in its list scrolling as it is in the GTI's MIBII system, which surprised me as this screen is much higher resolution. Not enough CPU power?

      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      We got the light interior (I forget what it's called) and the biggest issue there is the carpets and carpeted mats are also just as light. BIG mistake on GM's part - need to have black carpets. The first step in at the dealer left awful footprints everywhere. Definitely get the optional rubber black mats. Even so, the front mats are stupid-short (they are almost square like a rear mat) and need to go farther up into the footwell towards the firewall, but they help a lot.
      We got the darker interior for this very reason; no way would light colored carpet survive up here. And yes, the factory rubber mats are idiotically short in front; I'm hoping WeatherTech does something much more comprehensive as the mouse fuzz carpet is not up to much abuse.

      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Despite being the Premier model, the front seats are entirely manual, have flimsy-feeling levers, and no extra adjustable lumbar support. No Homelink mirror available at all either, which is odd given that this car seems to otherwise be an electronic tech showcase.
      I'm fine with it having manual seats, but yes, the levers feel like they are going to break if you pull/push them with any force. They also have sharp mold release edges. Not pleasant.

    11. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 1999
      Location
      The Blueass State
      Posts
      25,651
      04-20-2017 06:45 PM #36
      You still have a radio shack!
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

      Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

    12. Member Death-Incarnate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2003
      Location
      Just south of the M******* line
      Posts
      474
      Vehicles
      Honda Element
      04-20-2017 06:57 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      With it's near twin, the Fit:
      Love the window sticker. Still don't trust GLaDOS

    13. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 1999
      Location
      The Blueass State
      Posts
      25,651
      04-20-2017 07:00 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Death-Incarnate View Post
      Still don't trust GLaDOS
      Didn't get your cake did you? Loser.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

      Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2012
      Location
      Hillsboro
      Posts
      1,021
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v, 2016 Golf GTI S
      04-20-2017 07:58 PM #39
      I wonder if the seat up/down adjustment paddle is the exact same one as on the new Volt, which feel embarrassingly cheap, like something you'd find on a power wheels.

    15. 04-20-2017 08:01 PM #40
      I really want to drive one of these, however, there aren't any around me yet. Having had a taste of electric propulsion in our Lincoln, I am really intrigued by going all electric with my daily driver, however, I am not sure if I am quite ready to give up my Focus to do it. Perhaps in a few years.
      2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, Absolutely Red/Black, 5spd
      2005 Acura TSX, Carbon Grey Pearl/Quartz, Sportshift
      2013 Ford Focus ST, Oxford White/Charcoal Black, ST3
      2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat/Light Dune, Reserve +Technology

    16. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      22,992
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-20-2017 08:05 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Didn't get your cake did you? Loser.
      It's because the cake is a lie.

    17. Geriatric Member Turbio!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2005
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      44,522
      Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      04-20-2017 08:06 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by RobMarkToo View Post
      I wonder if the seat up/down adjustment paddle is the exact same one as on the new Volt, which feel embarrassingly cheap, like something you'd find on a power wheels.
      I, for one, am shocked that such an important touch point feels like anything but the finest Corinthian polymers.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

    18. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      22,992
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-20-2017 08:22 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      I, for one, am shocked that such an important touch point feels like anything but the finest Corinthian polymers.
      He's actually not wrong; it's not that it feels cheap (I can live with that) it feels really flimsy--like you might break the height adjuster by pushing down on it. (In fact, I thought I might be breaking it the first time I used it.)

    19. Member QWKDTSN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 23rd, 2006
      Location
      Bay Area
      Posts
      1,096
      Vehicles
      2008 Cayman S, 2004 E500 4Matic Wagon
      04-20-2017 08:34 PM #44
      $50k????????????

    20. Member l88m22vette's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2006
      Location
      Chicagoland, IL
      Posts
      14,834
      Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2005 Outback XT, 2014 Soul!, 2004 A6 3.0
      04-20-2017 08:39 PM #45
      How perfect you took a picture of the Bolt with Radio Shack in the background Sweet car, Half-Life 3 confirmed
      Audi TT FAQ --- Maintenance, Misfires, and a XT Spec-B swap --- Great Lakes TCL Registry

      Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      The Lincoln was like floating down a river made of flowing chocolate; the Buick was like riding a drunk horse up a cobblestone hill.

    21. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 1999
      Location
      The Blueass State
      Posts
      25,651
      04-20-2017 10:22 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Half-Life 3 confirmed
      Ban him.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

      Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

    22. A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Location
      Corner of salt water and vinegar
      Posts
      12,999
      Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      04-20-2017 10:25 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      We do what we must because we can.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

    23. Member Blade3562's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 17th, 2012
      Location
      Garfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      3,189
      Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit L, '07 Eos 3.2L, '15 Golf LE
      04-20-2017 10:26 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by QWKDTSN View Post
      $50k????????????
      That was my thought too. Test drove one. There's a lot better and a lot cooler cars in that bracket.

    24. Member Mcstiff's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 31st, 2002
      Location
      NE Denver, CO
      Posts
      2,314
      Vehicles
      1995 Sport 90 Quattro, 1991 Coupé Quattro
      04-20-2017 10:44 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      That was my thought too. Test drove one. There's a lot better and a lot cooler cars in that bracket.
      Electric
      ~200 mile range
      Seats 5
      ~$50k (or less)

      How many cars are in the bracket? Leaf, Focus, GTI? Each have a significant shortcoming.

      A used Model S is the closest available competition.
      Last edited by Mcstiff; 04-21-2017 at 10:17 AM.
      Ed Hankin *All posts subject to inaccuracy due to multi-tasking and autocorrect.
      1PissedOff90 1995 Sport 90 Quattro with too much to list
      1991 Audi Coupe Quattro 7aT Holset, VEMS, ETC

    25. Member Blade3562's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 17th, 2012
      Location
      Garfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      3,189
      Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit L, '07 Eos 3.2L, '15 Golf LE
      04-20-2017 11:12 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Mcstiff View Post
      Electric
      ~200 mile range
      Seats 5
      ~$50k

      How many cars are in the bracket? Leaf, Focus, GTI? Each have a significant shortcoming.

      A used Model S is the closest available competition.
      2018 EGolf, save yourself 15k+ also looks significantly better. You could buy a current one but your range will be less ~125, but the build quality and comfort blow the bolt away. My dad just leased a loaded Volt, but is planning to upgrade to the EGolf when they hit nationwide sale.

      Edit: Leased not bought, this is the first car they've ever leased

      Saying the bolt seats 5 also is quite comical, that's like saying a Festiva seats 25 clowns. Rear seat room is less than our former 2002 Mini.
      Last edited by Blade3562; 04-20-2017 at 11:16 PM.

    For advertising information click HERE

    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •