Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Massive coolant leak!!

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2002 GLS Jetta Wagon 2.0L 5 speed standard
      04-20-2017 11:40 PM #1
      Hi all, first post here. I have a 2002 Jetta 2.0 5 speed wagon. I bought it used 3 years ago and supposedly it had a new water pump and timing belt installed a few months before I bought it. Yesterday when I drove to work (approx 11 miles) as soon as I pulled in a parking spot my low coolant light started to flash. Popped the hood and the reservoir was almost empty. I got it home last night, had to fill up the reservoir to make it. I have it jacked up in the driveway and it appears to be leaking from the bottom belt pulley on the passenger side of the car. I took the TB cover off and the belt is dry. The leaking is pretty heavy when I remove the reservoir cap. When I start the engine it doesn't leak at all when idling or when parked.I have done quite a bit of searching but cannot find a definite answer on this. Could it be the WP cover? Is there a way to remove the pulley to get a better look? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and have a buddy that can help me out. I have attached a photo, please excuse my paintbrush skills. The red arrow is pointing to a water droplet. Thanks all!!

I cannot seem to attach a jpeg

2. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 Jetta
      04-20-2017 11:50 PM #2
      you can't attach pics here anymore here, but you still can link them if you have some place to host them like photobucket or something.....

Not 100% sure about your particular engine, I think the upper timing belt cover can be taken off with not much hassle, you can inspect the waterp pump.... (at least on my engine AEG it is), maybe it's just that o-ring that needs replacing... . and there is also a coolant return around that area by the coolant ball....
      IHP is real.
      Imaginary
      Horse
      Power.

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      04-21-2017 02:50 PM #3
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/upte3sa3v3...leak1.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for the reply dogdog!!

here is a link from dropbox. I have the AZG 2.0 engine. I was able to get the TB cover off and didn't see any leakage there. The leak is coming from behind the larger lower serpentine belt pulley. I found another article where the guy with a jetta mk4 had a large coolant leak from the same area and it was his water pump. I am going to remove some stuff and take a closer look as I have the time today.
      Last edited by s.d.finley; 04-21-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Vehicles
      static 4, bagged 3
      04-21-2017 03:09 PM #4
      It's the water pump can almost guarantee you. Typical problem. It's probably just the o ring thats blown or not making a good seal. Looks like a good time to do the timing belt/water pump/tensioner.
      Last edited by iliaonabike; 04-21-2017 at 03:12 PM.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 Jetta
      04-21-2017 05:29 PM #5
      bently says your water pump is the same as mine AEG.... there is a DIY on this on the sticky section.... fairly simple job for DIY.... only special tool that you might need is that timing belt tensioner tool.... the holes on that tensoner are 17mm center to center...... You should be able to see the water pump some what with the upper timing belt cover removed. They do sell just the O-ring... but Bently says to replace... it's up to you...

20. Coolant pump
      • Check pulley for ease of movement
      • If damaged and leaking replace
      complete assembly

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...ng/Water_Pump/
      IHP is real.
      Imaginary
      Horse
      Power.

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      04-21-2017 11:59 PM #6
      I greatly appreciate the replies and links guys!! Today I watched a couple youtube tutorials and found a good one that's about an 1.5 hours long and is fairly thorough. I attempted to remove the lower serpentine belt/crankshaft pulley and ended up stripping two of the four bolts. Other two came out. I removed the coolant reservoir and all hoses to it and the connectors on the tank were fine. Tomorrow I will head to Harbor Freight and get a bit that will help me remove the two stripped bolts. Since I will have to take so much stuff apart to replace the O ring and WP I will go ahead and replace the timing belt impeller and bolts while I am in there.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 Jetta
      04-22-2017 12:20 AM #7
      Not sure what bolt you are talking about...

I used this guide.. or some what.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3180137
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2271429

as for HF.... just watch what you are buying.... I think their pro tools have good review.... but not everything... the crank bolt is a 12Point ... I think I used an impact on it to get it off.

also if you touch the timing belt, you should rotate the engine twice manually to verify your timing mark at the transmission. (after assembling back everything of cause) good luck.
      IHP is real.
      Imaginary
      Horse
      Power.

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      04-22-2017 01:48 PM #8
      its the 4 bolts on the the crankshaft pulley, I stripped 2 of them. Is this the part? https://www.urotuning.com/Crankshaft.../n90242804.htm

I know it says 1.8T but I wonder if they are the same. I need all 4 as the 2 that came out got kinda chewed up.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 Jetta
      04-22-2017 05:17 PM #9
      Don't remember that details, you have one or two out easiest is just to measure the existing ones... M8x14 or M8X18 , M8 is bolt size, 18 or 14 is the length of that bolt from the shoulder to the end. you can check the size with an m8x1.0 or M8x1.25mm thread nut to see what thread..

Does the crankshaft pulley needs to come out if you are just inspecting / changing the waterpump ? I don't remember.... check that first link.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3180137
      IHP is real.
      Imaginary
      Horse
      Power.

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      04-23-2017 09:25 PM #10
      I was just trying to get a better look to see where the leak is coming from. I guess its the WP O ring so I won't worry about it.

For advertising information click HERE