VWVortex.com - I'm falling out of love....
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I'm falling out of love....

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton 4.2L V8 LWB 4 Seater Klavierlack Black and Sonnen Beige with Chestnut wood
      04-21-2017 09:43 AM #1
      51 months and about 110,000 kms later, I'm finding myself slowly falling out of love with the car.
      I just polished it, did front rotors and pads 3 days ago, new tires on back, etc... the typical 'car bonding' stuff.
      Everything works except the drivers soft close, infotainment, and a couple keyless lock buttons. Heck, I even had the TPMS deleted. Keyless start, OEM warning triangle, etc... There's no lights on in the dash.

What I'm trying to get at is, with the car having so few issues and new bits, WHY am I falling out of love with it? It's been driven over 10,000 kms within a month to Key West and to Northern Michigan, and it performed flawlessly during that time.

Has anyone else fallen out of love with theirs?

-John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2005 Volkswagen Phaeton 4Motion 4.2L 335 HP V8 LWB 4-Seater Klavierlack Black with Sonnen Beige Perforated Leather, 18'' Performance rims, and Comfort, Cold Weather, and Technology Package with extended Chestnut wood trim and almost 220,000 kms. My Build Sheet
      It took me across the continent no problem at all! Check out my road trip here

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 V8 4 seater NAR - e36 BMW M3 - 1971 BMW 2002 - and the 2014 SMART ED
      04-21-2017 09:53 AM #2
      Oh grasshopper,
      You will always remember your first true love

Vehicles
      2007/VW/Phaeton V6 3.0 TDI
      04-21-2017 10:10 AM #3
      This is my first Phaeton injury:
      Replacing left front drop link.
      But I'm kind of proud of it.
      Wiken 😁

Skickat från min D6603 via Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2014 3.0TDI Phaeton; 2009 1.4 Tiguan;2013 Take Up!
      04-21-2017 11:26 AM #4
      I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Hope you get over this malaise quite soon.

Mike.
      Ex member of Le Club 2P

Vehicles
      2007/VW/Phaeton V6 3.0 TDI
      04-21-2017 12:03 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by n968412L View Post
      I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Hope you get over this malaise quite soon.

Mike.

Skickat från min D6603 via Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2010 VW Phaeton 3.0 TDI
      04-21-2017 02:47 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by phaetonjohn View Post
      51 months and about 110,000 kms later, I'm finding myself slowly falling out of love with the car.?

-John

John

Then perhaps it wasn't ever a proper true love !

I have 3 true loves. My wife ( 47 years of marriage )

My cat Bandit ( 7 years since he turned up as a kitten )

My Phaeton ( owned since 2010 )

And in what order ? If my missus ever sees this rubbish, then 1 . wifey. 2. ***** cat. 3 car .....obviously !

If she doesn't read this...then probably reverse order

Vehicles
      2010 VW Phaeton 3.0 TDI
      04-21-2017 02:55 PM #7
      Just in case anyone is wondering about the asterisk in my last post....I innocently called my beloved Bandit a.....puddey cat !!!!!

Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8, 2005 Mustang GT (sold), 1997 Volvo 850 GLT
      04-21-2017 10:30 PM #8
      Mine is sitting in the driveway with a supposedly bad wheel bearing (I'm waiting to get better from this cold I have to take the car in to be fixed)
      ...nope, no idea what you're talking about. I look at it longingly whenever I go out and walk past it to the other car.

I have a question for you: Do you drive any other cars which you can compare the Phaeton to? If not, you may just be used to it. I got used to my car and while driving every noise sounded louder and every bump felt greater, this effect is quickly broken however by driving any other car, as you'll then feel physically abused. Getting in the Phaeton after that is happy experience. I remember getting into my car by myself at the dealer after getting it fixed and just driving through the parking lot on the way to the exit, the first 20-30 feet, feeling the way it goes over drainage grates and small bumps remarking to myself, alone in my car, "It's so good! How is it so good?!" because in my Volvo I would have been thrown side to side, literally by a couple of millimeters (millimeters!) going through that lot, while in the Phaeton I don't move at all and barely feel echoes of the road surface.

It's really tremendously relaxing, perhaps to a fault, and that fault is that it becomes normal and you get used to it, if, as anyone would given the chance, you drive a Phaeton solely for a long period of time. Then all noises and bumps are brought to your attention.

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton 4.2L V8 LWB 4 Seater Klavierlack Black and Sonnen Beige with Chestnut wood
      04-22-2017 12:48 AM #9
      Hey All!

Mike, I hope I get over it soon too. Ugh.

Francis007, it could be that it wasn't true love!! Haha... good call on putting your wife first on the list!!

Zoltan, I also drive a 2005 G35 coupe once in a while. The thing rides a tank. I do drive the Phaeton quite a bit though. Maybe it's just that I'm so used to it, it's no longer special.

I wish I still felt the way you all do!! I also think that I find the car annoying because I'm often in work boots and all I have is the Phaeton to drive. The gap between the tranny tunnel and the brake pedal is wayyy to small to be practical when wearing large footwear. Who knows.

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton 4Motion 4.2L 335 HP V8 LWB 4-Seater Klavierlack Black with Sonnen Beige Perforated Leather, 18'' Performance rims, and Comfort, Cold Weather, and Technology Package with extended Chestnut wood trim and almost 220,000 kms. My Build Sheet

Vehicles
      Member of Le Club 2P: 2005 Coucou Grey W12 5-seater & 2005 Klavierlack Black W12 4-seater Phaetons
      04-22-2017 11:26 AM #10
      I find the car annoying because I'm often in work boots and all I have is the Phaeton to drive. The gap between the tranny tunnel and the brake pedal is wayyy to small to be practical when wearing large footwear.
      If that is your main issue, keep an extra pair of shoes in the car and change into them when driving...

Victor

91 months of ownership and loving every minute.

Vehicles
      04-22-2017 02:49 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Victor R View Post
      If that is your main issue, keep an extra pair of shoes in the car and change into them when driving...

Victor

91 months of ownership and loving every minute.
      Oh it's not the main issue, I assure you!! It's a minor one.
      Still on the hunt for the major issue.

I envy you.

-John

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V8, 2014 CC 3.6 Executive, 2017 Jetta SE manual (among others)
      04-22-2017 03:46 PM #12
      I totally agree with Zoltan: the recipe is to drive other cars, then come back to the Phaeton. Example: this past December we gave our old Subaru Outback to our daughter who needed a car, and bought a 2017 Jetta SE for city use. Well, much as I like the Jetta, which is really a lot of fun to drive, probably in part because it is a manual transmission, when I go back to the Phaeton I really get into a different mood: I would not call it "love" exactly, more like a sense of serenity and peacefulness which also influences my driving style. As for my "loves", I think I will steer clear of lists like Francis'....
      Stefano

Vehicles
      04-22-2017 06:22 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Motorista View Post
      I totally agree with Zoltan: the recipe is to drive other cars, then come back to the Phaeton. Example: this past December we gave our old Subaru Outback to our daughter who needed a car, and bought a 2017 Jetta SE for city use. Well, much as I like the Jetta, which is really a lot of fun to drive, probably in part because it is a manual transmission, when I go back to the Phaeton I really get into a different mood: I would not call it "love" exactly, more like a sense of serenity and peacefulness which also influences my driving style. As for my "loves", I think I will steer clear of lists like Francis'....
      Stefano
      Hey Stefano,

I got back in the P today for the first time in a while, and yes it sure does ride better than the coupe. I just wish I was feeling this serenity you talk about. I used to...
      I find having the car a hundred times more stressful now than it is fun.
      Get in it, hit the start button, and hope no lights come on. I know nothing will, and that it'll be perfectly ok as it always is, I think I'm just a paranoid person.

When it's for sale I'll post it here lol--I sense that in not too long it will be sadly.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      04-23-2017 05:35 AM #14
      Hey Stefano,

I got back in the P today for the first time in a while, and yes it sure does ride better than the coupe. I just wish I was feeling this serenity you talk about. I used to...
      I find having the car a hundred times more stressful now than it is fun.
      Get in it, hit the start button, and hope no lights come on. I know nothing will, and that it'll be perfectly ok as it always is, I think I'm just a paranoid person.

When it's for sale I'll post it here lol--I sense that in not too long it will be sadly.

You need a beater for a daily driver so the Phaeton is special. My Phaetons are like rocket ships compared to my old Ford. (Both in speed and electronic do-dads.)

The only thing I don't like about my Phaetons is I have to keep working on them. Not because they need constant attention but because I need to fix any niggles. I guess that I also hate that one has to be in storage because my garage only holds two cars.

The daily driver Ford gets worked on if (when) it decides not to proceed. I do put OEM or NOS OEM parts in it, but only if they are needed. The Phaetons get parts if the parts on the car "look" old or have slight imperfections.

To restore the Ford would cost more than a good Phaeton W12 4 seater since everything on the Ford is NLA.

Good luck.

-Eric

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8 + 2011 Range Rover Sport + Three lovely Porsches
      04-24-2017 01:28 AM #15
      Has anyone else fallen out of love with theirs?
      John,

Every single day, but only when I'm out of the car. Once I'm driving I just can't get enough of it. My wife by the way is very jealous of that relationship

Regards
      Salah

Give a lot, expect nothing

Vehicles
      2014 3.0TDI Phaeton; 2009 1.4 Tiguan;2013 Take Up!
      04-24-2017 03:40 AM #16
      Latterly my 11 year old V10 did give me some of the same feelings... the foibles were definitely increasing over time.... I still really really miss it... but I console myself with my two year old V6 TDI.....

So maybe I do understand.. But there's the answer - by another one!

M
      Ex member of Le Club 2P

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Phaeton, '16 XC60
      04-24-2017 03:59 AM #17
      I'm still digging mine overall, though I do miss having a performance car and I get the feeling the Phaeton will eventually be replaced by another ///M.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      "Zed's dead, baby, Zed's dead."

Vehicles
      04-25-2017 11:06 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by n968412L View Post
      Latterly my 11 year old V10 did give me some of the same feelings... the foibles were definitely increasing over time.... I still really really miss it... but I console myself with my two year old V6 TDI.....

So maybe I do understand.. But there's the answer - by another one!

M
      I'll trade you my V8 for your V6!

If new Phaeton's were available here, I'd save up! So many are high mileage, base model 2004's that have been driven into the ground. If it was a mint 2004 base model, that would be ok, but those are rarer than a 2006 W12 4 seater.

Vehicles
      04-25-2017 11:07 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by s2kvondeutschland View Post
      I'm still digging mine overall, though I do miss having a performance car and I get the feeling the Phaeton will eventually be replaced by another ///M.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      I do like performance.. the G35 coupe isn't 'performance' but it's pretty dang peppy and makes a good noise. Doesn't have a good stereo in it, but the exhaust note makes up For It!

-John

04-27-2017 11:30 PM #20
      If it was a mint 2004 base model, that would be ok, but those are rarer than a 2006 W12 4 seater.

Not quite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Josh

1-12-5-8-3-10-6-7-2-11-4-9

For advertising information click HERE