Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Transmission overheating code

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R DSG
      04-21-2017 12:01 PM #1
      I've launched the car in stock form several times with no issues but earlier this week I flashed to stage 2 ecu/dsg with UM, I've launched the car roughly 5 times since and 3 out of the 5 launches popped up transmission overheating just briefly and then would go away. I've seen some say it's due to low fluid level but it's strange before tune I never seen it overheating. Any advice is appreciated.

Vehicles
      2013 TT-RS, 2017 Golf R, 2012 Golf TDI w/Tech
      04-21-2017 09:08 PM #2
      Def not a tune issue. I was hot lapping my car at the drag strip with UM tune and I had no issues with it overheating or anything with the trans.

I would probably check your fluid level

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R DSG
      04-21-2017 09:45 PM #3
      I checked the dsg oil level today and it is fine. Honestly, I didn't think it was tune related. I'll drive it a while longer and see if it shows up again when I do another launch.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      MK7 Golf R, MK6 GTI
      04-22-2017 03:37 PM #4
      Think its working as intended... Mk6 used to give a warning and prevent LC after repeated launches to protect compomemts from over heating

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Oryx DSG
      04-22-2017 07:48 PM #5
      did you experience a bunch of wheel spin before it flashed?

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R DSG
      04-22-2017 10:11 PM #6
      I did notice some wheel spin prior to the warning.

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R DSG
      05-05-2017 03:44 PM #7
      The transmission overheat continues, and this is not after back to back launches. At 3700k and below on launch it is fine but I can hold wot at launch. Went to my local shop who flashed the car for me and they completely flushed/replaced the fluid in the transmission. Also just for giggles they removed the dsg tune and reinstalled it. I went out with mechanic when I first got there and showed him the overheat code popping up, that's when he reflashed the dag tune and we went out to try it and it still popped up. This is what gets wired, we took the car back to shop and that is when he drained and added new fluid, this took roughly 4 hours being the oil temp had to be around 35 to 40 Celsius for proper fill. Well after all said and done leaving it was raining pretty hard so I waited until this morning to attempt to see if the overheat issue had been resolved. Now not only does it the overheat code come up now launch control does not engage when trying to launch. Now I'm beyond frustrated. I'll go back to the shop next week, but if anyone else is having similar issues then any advice I would greatly appreciate. Thanks

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R DSG
      05-05-2017 03:47 PM #8
      Another side note, I'm not launching back to back as the temp would for sure be nice and warm, and also most cases the overheat code is yellow but it goes from yellow to red and this puts the car in a temp limp mode for briefly a second before going away. While at the shop he was checking my oil temp via vcds and stated there weren't any significant spikes in my oil temp.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      05-05-2017 04:09 PM #9
      What tune do you have?
      I believe the pop up occures when the dsg detects slip. When my car was stock I had this happen. It also happened when I went with the jb1 and continued to happen when I tuned to unitronic stage 2 with the dsg tune. It wouldn't happen every launch but it was happening frequently. I was reading up on the apr dsg tune and they claim the clamping pressure is increased. I switched to apr stage 2 and dsg tune. I have not had the transmission overheating pop up since.
      Good luck.

Vehicles
      16 VW Golf R MT /// 12 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      05-05-2017 08:16 PM #10
      Flash it back to stock and see if it fixes the problem. If it does ask for your money back and go to APR

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R DSG
      05-17-2017 05:09 PM #11
      Just an update on the transmission issues I continued to have on United's Dsg tune, I went to my local shop and switched back stock and went out to do a few launches. Zero issues, no overheat no hesitation, the shop also is a unitronic dealer and just for giggles they put the stage 2 Dsg tune from them on and went out a while later and same thing did a few launches and no issues. Called United and they seem to think it's my transmission. I can't say that I agree with that but there working on some adjustments to their dsg file for my car and if it doesn't work I'll be keeping their ecu tune but using probably unitronic's dsg tune.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      MKV R32
      05-17-2017 05:52 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Mcnazty View Post
      Just an update on the transmission issues I continued to have on United's Dsg tune, I went to my local shop and switched back stock and went out to do a few launches. Zero issues, no overheat no hesitation, the shop also is a unitronic dealer and just for giggles they put the stage 2 Dsg tune from them on and went out a while later and same thing did a few launches and no issues. Called United and they seem to think it's my transmission. I can't say that I agree with that but there working on some adjustments to their dsg file for my car and if it doesn't work I'll be keeping their ecu tune but using probably unitronic's dsg tune.
      Maybe it's just me but i wouldn't mix ecu and tcu tunes since usually the companies make the work together. I could be wrong just my 2 cents i have apr ecu and tcu tune and haven't had one issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      MKV R32- 1286/5000

Instagram: Ginger_R32

For advertising information click HERE