Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: VW Classic Parts

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco/70 Austin Mini/85 CJ7
      04-21-2017 02:04 PM #1
      In searching for pieces for the rebuild I went on this site hoping to find some parts which I did but can not seem to complete the order as it does not list Canada as one of the countries I can choose from, I don't even see US as an option. Have others ordered parts from here and if so how do you get around the fact that they don't recognize the New World?

2. 04-21-2017 02:56 PM #2
      That's right. Long story short (BTDT, trust me), they will not deal with North American customers directly, only a select few distributors... and even then, they can reputedly be kind of buttholes about it, with not being communicative, not providing shipping quotes, etc.

Contact them to see if they'll provide you with an 'approved' distributor in CA (unless one of our Canadian friends here knows already and can provide).

Barring that, there are couple of good US options I've found:
      1. 1stVWParts.com (Auburn VW, in WA state) - email them for info - Troy is who I've interacted with
      2. Mk1AutoHaus.com in PA - they stock a good # of Classic parts anyway, but can special order things.

I'm sure you realize that (a) you can't be in any hurry, this can take many weeks, and (b) grab your ankles for shipping charges, first to get from Germany, and then to you.
      Price of the game.

Good luck
      no one cares what you think in real life...
      how do you figure the internet makes it any better.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      84 Rabbit Convertible, 88 Quantum Syncro Wagon, 98 Subaru Legacy Wagon
      04-21-2017 03:11 PM #3
      I just ordered parts from them for my Quantum Syncro Wagon a couple months ago. What I did was I went through https://www.vwheritage.com/classic/ and ordered through them. If I remember correctly they are attached to Orchid Euro here in the states or they at least do a lot of business with them I think, so they have no issue shipping here. It's a breeze with them, simply enter the part number you need from volkswagen-classic-parts and add it to your cart.

The shipping is a little pricey. I think I paid 50 British pounds, but it was worth it because I got literally a whole car's worth of brand new OEM door and window seals.
      Quote Originally Posted by tolusina View Post
      An approximate Tim Taylor quote; "If you didn't build it yourself, it's not really yours".
      Function is the form.
      1984 Rabbit Convertible
      1988 Quantum Syncro Wagon - The Group B Grocery Getter

Vehicles
      76 scirocco(Aberdeen) 84 GTI(Black Betty, Bam-A-Lam) 80 pickup
      04-21-2017 04:49 PM #4
      I bought through Paruzzi.com in Holland and shipping to Canada was reasonable. They even shipped regular post with tracking upon request. Canada post did weird things with the package(it was in Calgary, went to Missisauga then back to Calgary) but it arrived.
      Check them out.
      Regards,
      RJ

Vehicles
      5 x Scirocco 1, 2 x Golf 1, 1 x cabrio 1
      04-21-2017 08:27 PM #5
      Brixy, understand your woes completely.

Many years ago I could email an order across to Classic parts, they email reply with the quote and availability. Then phone and do the credit card bizzo and the order would duly arrive in a week or so.

Sometime around 2011 / 2012 Classic parts centre was getting an overhaul ( even visited them when doing our Euro trip ) then my orders would need to go through there re-seller network. Yeah PITA TBH.

They list :-

Myers Volkswagen
      Beschreibung
      501-2500 Palladium Dr
      Ottawa, ON K2V 1E2 / CAN
      Tel.: 1-800-863-9557

www.myersvw.com

As your closest re seller which looks reasonably close compared to mine.

What I no longer like with the VWC parts website is that you can no longer do a mass parts search ( old site would allow displaying all available parts in a excel spreadsheet )

Hope this helps bud, keep up the build.
      If it aint a Mk1 then it's a donor....
      Brownrocco resto thread....http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f55/...esto-2339.html
      Blueroc build... http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...y-from-America

6. 04-21-2017 10:07 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by dougkehl View Post
      I just ordered parts from them for my Quantum Syncro Wagon a couple months ago. What I did was I went through https://www.vwheritage.com/classic/ and ordered through them. If I remember correctly they are attached to Orchid Euro here in the states or they at least do a lot of business with them I think, so they have no issue shipping here. It's a breeze with them, simply enter the part number you need from volkswagen-classic-parts and add it to your cart.

The shipping is a little pricey. I think I paid 50 British pounds, but it was worth it because I got literally a whole car's worth of brand new OEM door and window seals.
      Yes, VW Heritage is another option... I order 'regular' parts from VWH sometimes, but their tiered shipping structure does not usually work out too favorably - it's based on price not actual weight.
      They also use DHL, which on the one hand, I get the parts in 2-3 days, but most of the time I would be happy to wait a lot longer if it meant a cheaper shipping option (e.g., Royal Mail parcels), which isn't offered.
      Also, for whatever reason, when I've shipped (other) parts from Germany, it's been cheaper than similar parcels shipped from the UK... which makes no sense to me.
      For those reason I have not ordered Classic parts through VWH, because I assumed the combined shipping would kill me.

Sounds like if you got all that shipped for 50 GBP, that they gave you an actual shipping charge?

I know Orchid will pick up packages from VWH as part of their usual trans-Atlantic sea container voyages, but I assumed that wouldn't work too well for me either, by the time I paid (1) VWH to order it in from Classic, (2) OE to pick up/handle/courier it to their site, and then (3) OE to re-ship it to me. I could be wrong.
      Last edited by DiezNutz; 04-21-2017 at 10:15 PM.

7. 04-21-2017 10:11 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by roccodingo View Post
      Brixy, understand your woes completely.
      Many years ago I could email an order across to Classic parts, they email reply with the quote and availability. Then phone and do the credit card bizzo and the order would duly arrive in a week or so.
      It used to be like that in the US as well, myself and some of my closest associates did the same.
      We were happy.

Then, for reasons I still don't actually understand, it all went to crap.

Oh, Classic gave me a reason back when I asked, which I don't recall... because it sounded like a complete cover story for whatever the real reason was, so I didn't commit it to memory.

If Johann Blow on eBay.de and a handful of other German sellers I've dealt with can ship me things directly without a hassle, then there's no GD good reason why Classic can't either.
      Last edited by DiezNutz; 04-21-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      04-21-2017 11:22 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by DiezNutz View Post
      If Johann Blow on eBay.de and a handful of other German sellers I've dealt with can ship me things directly without a hassle, then there's no GD good reason why Classic can't either.
      It's some legal mumbo-jumbo. For a while, they wouldn't even ship to Auburn VW...and that's one of their biggest US customers.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

9. Member
      Vehicles
      04-22-2017 12:17 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      It's some legal mumbo-jumbo. For a while, they wouldn't even ship to Auburn VW...and that's one of their biggest US customers.
      Will strive for a solution as they have some parts I have been searching the globe for like new front seat belts as I have two sets and have tried washing them and lubing the mechanism and the damb things still won't snap back as they should.

Glad to see I am not the only one frustrated by the Germans.

Vehicles
      1980 MK1 w/91 Jetta Engine, 96 Nissan 4x4
      04-22-2017 04:33 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Brixy View Post
      Will strive for a solution as they have some parts I have been searching the globe for like new front seat belts as I have two sets and have tried washing them and lubing the mechanism and the damb things still won't snap back as they should.

Glad to see I am not the only one frustrated by the Germans.
      The sad thing is, I have two sets of rear seat belts, but no extra set for you.

And that little clip on the cover of the spring mechanism - probably unicorn trying to locate that...(Black 6" cover)
      If one's words are not better than silence, one should keep silent.
      - Kwai Chang Caine

11. 04-22-2017 06:03 PM #11
      Hi,

I'm kind of surprise because I bought a brand new dash from them for my Rocco in 2013 and got it ship directly to me in Quebec, Canada. Also bought from them the same year several parts for my rebuild, Rear disk back plate, bushing for the rear axel, etc...

I didn't use their web site but contacted instead one of their employe directly by email. I paid by credit card and both transactions where flawless.

It's name: Herr Alt
      email: alt@vw-classicparts.de
      Phone: +49-5361-30 85 77-26
      telefax: +49-5361-30 85 77-77

I do not know if he still work there but it worth a try.

Be aware shipping is not cheap and prices are in EUROS. You will also have to pay duties and customs fee on top of that when UPS or DHL deliver to your door.

Hope this help.

P.S. I have another friend from Toronto that also bought parts ( dash, carpets and body panels ) using the same contact.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      04-22-2017 07:46 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by beanroccos View Post
      Hi,

I'm kind of surprise because I bought a brand new dash from them for my Rocco in 2013 and got it ship directly to me in Quebec, Canada. Also bought from them the same year several parts for my rebuild, Rear disk back plate, bushing for the rear axel, etc...

I didn't use their web site but contacted instead one of their employe directly by email. I paid by credit card and both transactions where flawless.

It's name: Herr Alt
      email: alt@vw-classicparts.de
      Phone: +49-5361-30 85 77-26
      telefax: +49-5361-30 85 77-77

I do not know if he still work there but it worth a try.

Be aware shipping is not cheap and prices are in EUROS. You will also have to pay duties and customs fee on top of that when UPS or DHL deliver to your door.

Hope this help.

P.S. I have another friend from Toronto that also bought parts ( dash, carpets and body panels ) using the same contact.
      Thanks. Will see where that gets me. Did leave a message on their contact me about the issue as well.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      04-24-2017 12:59 PM #13
      Got an email from VW Classicparts that using the contact on the email they will prepare an order shipped to Canada. Let's see how this turns out. Fingers crossed.

14. 04-24-2017 11:51 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Brixy View Post
      Got an email from VW Classicparts that using the contact on the email they will prepare an order shipped to Canada. Let's see how this turns out. Fingers crossed.
      Hrrmm... Now I'm tempted to contact them as well.
      If this somehow works out for you and not me, that's it! - I'm motioning to start Annexation Proceedings!

Kidding. Good luck though, seriously.

15. 04-25-2017 01:39 AM #15
      You can also ask for part number that are not on their website also.

For advertising information click HERE