VWVortex.com - I needed an E36 so I acquired a darling (flaming pile or potential v3.11)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 155

    Thread: I needed an E36 so I acquired a darling (flaming pile or potential v3.11)

    1. Member Blade3562's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 17th, 2012
      Location
      Garfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      3,189
      Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit L, '07 Eos 3.2L, '15 Golf LE
      05-14-2017 12:05 AM #26
      I have a feeling you have some mismatch on your suspension parts. Here's some good info. We ran into this on my buddy's car. Received the wrong control arms

      https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...rol-Arm-bent-)

    2. 05-14-2017 12:12 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      I have a feeling you have some mismatch on your suspension parts. Here's some good info. We ran into this on my buddy's car. Received the wrong control arms

      https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...rol-Arm-bent-)
      Now we're cooking with fire. Good info, thanks! P.O. said front control arms and bushings were new...now I need to get under there to see which ones.

      Seems that offset bushings in 96+ M arms can cause wheel to rub front of fender liner.

      https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...l-Arm-Bushings
      Last edited by jaystone; 05-14-2017 at 01:21 AM.

    3. 05-14-2017 01:23 AM #28
      And solved. Car has Bimmerworld solid control arm mounts with the factory M3 control arms.

      When used on 96-99 M3s, the wheel will be moved forward slightly in the wheel well due to additional caster. This may result in tire rub against the inner fender liner. We recommend using '95 M3 or E36 non-M front control arms for these applications.
      http://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWor...rm-Mounts.html

    4. Member Blade3562's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 17th, 2012
      Location
      Garfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      3,189
      Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit L, '07 Eos 3.2L, '15 Golf LE
      05-14-2017 01:56 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      And solved. Car has Bimmerworld solid control arm mounts with the factory M3 control arms.

      http://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWor...rm-Mounts.html

    5. 05-14-2017 02:03 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      thanks for pointing me in the right direction...one problem solved (sort of), many to go.

    6. 05-14-2017 03:42 PM #31
      Baby steps.

      Radio fuse was blown, replaced fuse and turned radio on. Code displayed (and entered successfully), but the display is really dim (look real close, it says CODE in the picture). Also, HK speakers sound OK, but lots if static/noise. Not sure if speakers are toast or if amp/headunit could be going. Would like to keep stock, need to look into replacements.



      Fan seemed a little weak, but before I look into replacing blower motor or the final stage resistor, I figured I would start with the often overlooked pollen filter. It was a heavy clogged mess.



      Scuffed the bruised corner, had to apply a little heat massaging to flatten it out, but there was still a little crease that required some filler. Paint is in the mail.



      Gave it a quick bath, will need a complete detail when it is reassembled, but I am happy with the general condition of the body. Couple dings, but paint looks good. Had to massage the drivers side bumper clip and sheet metal, they were a little off but very manageable to get realigned.




      Going to meet with a guy later today who is parting out an M3 sedan, might be able to find a lot of the little things I need to put this one back together.

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2007
      Posts
      14,325
      Vehicles
      R32, B7
      05-14-2017 04:26 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      Radio fuse was blown, replaced fuse and turned radio on. Code displayed (and entered successfully), but the display is really dim (look real close, it says CODE in the picture). Also, HK speakers sound OK, but lots if static/noise. Not sure if speakers are toast or if amp/headunit could be going. Would like to keep stock, need to look into replacements.
      the dim display on the E36 radio is common. there are some DIY's out there to fix the issue, so you may be able to retain the OEM head unit:

      http://forums.pelicanparts.com/101-p...o-display.html
      welcome to the layer cake

    8. Member Stevo12's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2015
      Location
      Hartford, CT
      Posts
      1,275
      Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '97 M3, '92 GTI project
      05-14-2017 06:10 PM #33
      You're making great headway!

      I use FCP Euro for my OEM parts. I'll admit I'm somewhat affiliated; I've been helping out on the AER race car, and my best friend manages their BMW catalog so he's my go-to for parts and info, and he's also my same-day delivery service (if the parts are in stock).

      For fender liners, I chanced it on a $20 liner from evilBay. So far so good.

      For the OBC, there's a DIY on Bimmerforum on how to repair the pixels. I'm about to attempt it on a junkyard unit (also 11 button) because the one in my car has a couple broken buttons as well as dead pixels. I have the DIY saved on my computer but I'm on my phone right now. A quick Google search should probably find the right one.

    9. Member WRXGuy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 20th, 2002
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      1,653
      Vehicles
      2017 Cruze Hatch
      05-14-2017 06:41 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      For fender liners, I chanced it on a $20 liner from evilBay. So far so good.
      I don't know about for a M3, but I bought new fender liners for my E38 at the (gasp!) BMW dealer w/ a BMWCCA discount and found it to be reasonable. YMMY, etc.

    10. Member r_fostoria's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2009
      Location
      Middletown, PA
      Posts
      5,313
      Vehicles
      2012 FIAT 500 Abarth, 1996 BMW 328i
      05-14-2017 06:58 PM #35
      This thread is excellent. I may have to get myself one of these M3s at some point in the not-too-distant future. It's amazing how many really inexpensive ones are out there that are also in better shape than my 328i. It would be irresponsible not to make the upgrade, frankly.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 7th, 2016
      Posts
      715
      Vehicles
      Old German Japanese & American
      05-14-2017 07:24 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      It would be irresponsible not to make the upgrade, frankly.
      I can't argue with this logic.

    12. 05-14-2017 08:07 PM #37
      I seemed to have lucked out on a few parts locally. Two guys are parting e36 M3's. One white coupe with an almost new nose piece painted alpine white, and another guy with a sedan who hopefully has some interior pieces and front ductwork for me.

      The only part I am having a hard time with is the drivers euro ellipsoid headlight. I want to get an OEM Bosch one to match, and as my glass is practically new, I only need a decent housing with unbroken tabs...seems like unobtanium unless you drop thousands of pennies on one. I would like to avoid buying a complete set, but this one part may take time.

      Bavsound sells a complete direct fit speaker replacement set for under $400, may look into that after the car is mechanically and cosmetically sorted.

      Thankfully, I am handy with a soldering iron, and not afraid to dig into a PCB. This week is kind of busy for me, progress may be iffy until next weekend.

    13. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 8th, 2015
      Posts
      58
      Vehicles
      E36 M3, C63 AMG
      05-14-2017 08:57 PM #38
      The speakers (especially the midranges in the doors) are the most likely source of the static, but the HK amp is known to go out too.

      No idea what that plastic piece on the last page is...my guess would be the duct between the bumper/wheel well for brake cooling, but that piece looks smaller than the OEM one.

    14. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,645
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-14-2017 09:03 PM #39
      I missed this earlier... Nice pickup! It's moving quickly, too. I'm envious of that.

      As far as suppliers go, I used Bavarian Autosport in my '02 days and was pretty satisfied, but that's over 20 years ago now. I don't know what they're like to deal with nowadays.

      Continued success!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    15. Member r_fostoria's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2009
      Location
      Middletown, PA
      Posts
      5,313
      Vehicles
      2012 FIAT 500 Abarth, 1996 BMW 328i
      05-14-2017 11:08 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Realjones88 View Post
      The speakers (especially the midranges in the doors) are the most likely source of the static, but the HK amp is known to go out too.

      No idea what that plastic piece on the last page is...my guess would be the duct between the bumper/wheel well for brake cooling, but that piece looks smaller than the OEM one.
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      Any idea what this is, part number doesn't help?


      I missed this question on page one. That is a brake duct for the front bumper/wheel well, specifically the driver's side. That opening with clips on the side is the slot for the OBC's exterior temperature probe.



    16. 05-14-2017 11:19 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      I missed this question on page one. That is a brake duct for the front bumper/wheel well, specifically the driver's side. That opening with clips on the side is the slot for the OBC's exterior temperature probe.


      I was thinking the same, however I have the bumper to fender liner duct, it is about a foot long. The piece I am curious about is about 5" long and says Purolator on it with the BMW roundel. Maybe a snorkel from the airbox? Here is the bumper duct for comparison.


    17. 05-14-2017 11:21 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I missed this earlier... Nice pickup! It's moving quickly, too. I'm envious of that.

      As far as suppliers go, I used Bavarian Autosport in my '02 days and was pretty satisfied, but that's over 20 years ago now. I don't know what they're like to deal with nowadays.

      Continued success!
      Thanks!

      Quote Originally Posted by Realjones88 View Post
      The speakers (especially the midranges in the doors) are the most likely source of the static, but the HK amp is known to go out too.

      No idea what that plastic piece on the last page is...my guess would be the duct between the bumper/wheel well for brake cooling, but that piece looks smaller than the OEM one.
      That is good to know. If the car's registration records are anything to go by, it was sold new in Albuquerque, then made its way to San Diego until about 4 years ago. Was registered in Wisconsin, but the PO was actuve duty military, and registered it at home there while he was bouncing around I guess. So, the interior has been baked and dry since day one, speakers don't survive in that kind of environment (just like the headliner). Appreciate the insight for sure, just not getting my hopes up that those are the only bad speakers
      Last edited by jaystone; 05-14-2017 at 11:26 PM.

    18. Member westopher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2013
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      1,172
      Vehicles
      98 M3
      05-15-2017 01:06 AM #43
      Nice pickup. I'm going on 4 years with mine and not planning on moving on any time soon. The white on the sedan looks fantastic.
      98 m3
      99.9k and about to officially become worthless.
      Technoviolet/anthrazit cloth

    19. 05-15-2017 01:35 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      Nice pickup. I'm going on 4 years with mine and not planning on moving on any time soon. The white on the sedan looks fantastic.
      I was half tempted to flip the car originally, but I think it will be too nice to flip and not regret later like I have with a lot of my previous fun cars. Going to keep it mostly as it sits, too many E36's are getting hacked and tracked. Gotta keep a few fairly unmolested!

    20. 05-15-2017 04:17 PM #45
      Got C pillar trim from a part out, nothing else good though. Have some plastic welding supplies on order to try and repair some things, worth 10% of the replacement cost to try and repair stuff before buying new (or waiting for a good condition used one to pop up)

      Radio dispay fixed. Couple of surface mount resistors with bad solder joints. OBC not repaired, tried a couple times following the DIY instructions found online. Worth a try, just need a replacement or to send this one off. Got a chuckle out of the OBC manufacturer name on the PCB.



    21. 05-15-2017 04:35 PM #46
      Noticed the sampling fan in the heater control unit was noisy after fixing the radio. Simple cleaning with contact cleaner and compressed air did the trick. Thermistor (tiny blue bulb behind grill in picture) was coated with dust and the tube from that grill through the unit to the fan was pretty funky.

      All better now.





    22. Member Stevo12's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2015
      Location
      Hartford, CT
      Posts
      1,275
      Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '97 M3, '92 GTI project
      05-15-2017 04:35 PM #47
      Bummer about the OBC. I hope mine isn't a bust, but even if it isn't, I'll at least have working buttons.

      Meant to ask in a previous post on what you intend to get from the Alpine White front clip? Just the bumper?

    23. 05-15-2017 05:33 PM #48
      I am just getting the metal nose piece with kidney grills. My bumper just needs to be painted, but the nose piece is not worth trying to fix. Too many complex contours, and new metal is under $100. Besides, the guy I am getting the nose piece from doesn't have a bumper

    24. Member Stevo12's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2015
      Location
      Hartford, CT
      Posts
      1,275
      Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '97 M3, '92 GTI project
      05-16-2017 08:30 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      I am just getting the metal nose piece with kidney grills. My bumper just needs to be painted, but the nose piece is not worth trying to fix. Too many complex contours, and new metal is under $100. Besides, the guy I am getting the nose piece from doesn't have a bumper
      Cool, was just asking because I thought the coupe front clip was different; it is, but I guess some pieces are still interchangeable.

    25. Senior Member danny_16v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 23rd, 2002
      Posts
      22,302
      Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      05-16-2017 08:51 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Cool, was just asking because I thought the coupe front clip was different; it is, but I guess some pieces are still interchangeable.
      If I'm not mistaken the unique pieces for a sedan are, fenders, hood, and side markers
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

    For advertising information click HERE

    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •