VWVortex.com - I needed an E36 so I acquired a darling (flaming pile or potential v3.11)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I needed an E36 so I acquired a darling (flaming pile or potential v3.11)

1. 05-16-2017 12:54 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      If I'm not mistaken the unique pieces for a sedan are, fenders, hood, and side markers
      And fender liners. I made the mistake of getting a nearly new drivers side one from the guy I got ths nose piece from, it is a different part # and not interchangeable..

Made an order with FCP Euro for the bulk of the parts needed to put the front end back together. Also found an eBay seller in Germany who sells euro headlights. He takes used parts, cleans them up and puts new lenses on them and re-sells them. I asked if he would sell me just the drivers side Bosch headlight housing. So I have a drivers side headlight housing with good tabs coming for about $75.

Noticed the muffler hanging a little crooked, so I may tinker with that today if I feel froggy. Night shift this week is messing with my sleep schedule!

2. 05-17-2017 05:16 PM #52
      Found a pair of 8.5" DSII wheels with tires at a local junkyard while looking for miscellaneous hardware and a lightbulb for the OBC. A little scuffed, but serviceable.

Picked up the nose piece, will need a couple rock chips touched up, but otherwise GTG.

FCP Euro parts started arriving. The lower radiator duct arrived, looks like it had been on a shelf for a while.

The euro headlight bucket will be here in a few weeks. Ahh, the joys of shipping parts from Germany via the long way around. Seeing as I hope to get it on the road before then, I scavenged some US spec headlights for the mounting tabs and will try to plastic weld them with stuff from Plastex. Temporarily held in place by RTV so I don't lose the parts. They required a little massaging of the angles to match the broken euro bucket.

The parts list is getting really short, almost everything sourced and on the way.

3. 05-20-2017 01:49 PM #53
      Almost every day was like Christmas this past week, especially with the annual "F you, this is Colorado" late spring 36 hour slushy snowstorm to destroy your trees and other green things. Boxes and packages arrived daily. Got a few things accomplished.

Headlight bucket repaired until replacement gets here from Germany. The Plastex repair stuff is interesting. It uses a plastic powder with a liquid catalyst. Mix it up into a paste and apply. It is not sticky like JB Weld or other adhesive epoxies. Once cured it seems to be pretty solid. I did use a little epoxy on the back side of the tabs to make them extra skookum.

Got the bumper scuffed and shot. Ran out of clear, so will have to pull it off and shoot a little more, which will also be needed to finish the nose piece after addressing rock chips. Need to order hardware for the lower spoiler, almost all of the existing original stuff is toast.

Trying to find the opposite one of these. It is a triangular duct/cover that lives inside the nose piece behind the grill. BMW parts fiche are lacking and vague. The one I have is the drivers side. Any help on this piece would be appreciated!

Last edited by jaystone; 05-20-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Vehicles
      AW/SO 2015 M3
      05-20-2017 08:54 PM #54
      Nice pickup!

Old school BMW, plus there is a very good chance these things will appreciate over time.

I have been eyeing one myself as a project car. It's either this or a 996 911.

Vehicles
      98 M3
      05-20-2017 09:01 PM #55
      Can't go wrong there. They are both under appreciated, extremely rewarding cars moving from "dated" to modern classics.
      98 m3
      99.9k and about to officially become worthless.
      Technoviolet/anthrazit cloth

6. 05-20-2017 09:16 PM #56
      Old school enough, yet modern enough. E30's and E28's are decent chassis' that are begging for engine swaps. E36's are good as they sit, with lots of room for improvement. The downside is that reasonably well kept stock(ish) examples are getting harder to come by.

They have got to be at the bottom of the curve, if my record is anything to go by. I have a knack for picking up cars when they are worth next to nothing and flipping them for a modest profit, only to watch them appreciate vastly a few years after getting out.

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      05-20-2017 11:54 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      Old school enough, yet modern enough. E30's and E28's are decent chassis' that are begging for engine swaps. E36's are good as they sit, with lots of room for improvement. The downside is that reasonably well kept stock(ish) examples are getting harder to come by.

They have got to be at the bottom of the curve, if my record is anything to go by. I have a knack for picking up cars when they are worth next to nothing and flipping them for a modest profit, only to watch them appreciate vastly a few years after getting out.
      E36 M3 bottom curve passed. Only 'deals' where people don't know what they have will be had Or high miles/need work cars. Anybody with a desirable spec and lower mileage M3 has gone up, really rather surprisingly. For a while the E30 M3 sat at a $15k rule. The E36 M3 is sorta there but there are some above that in the $20k range. And E36 M3 LTWs (we never had a special E30 M3) have sold in the $100k range to collectors.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

8. Member
      Vehicles
      E36 M3/4, R55 Clubman S, ND Miata
      05-21-2017 02:19 AM #58
      Trying to find the opposite one of these. It is a triangular duct/cover that lives inside the nose piece behind the grill. BMW parts fiche are lacking and vague. The one I have is the drivers side. Any help on this piece would be appreciated!
      The diagram (https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...32#51718179199) doesn't show a corresponding part on the passenger side and I just checked on my car and there isn't a cover there either.

9. 05-21-2017 08:05 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by proximal View Post
      The diagram (https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...32#51718179199) doesn't show a corresponding part on the passenger side and I just checked on my car and there isn't a cover there either.
      Odd that there is only one, but it has to be for a reason. Thanks for looking at your car, and that realoem link too.

Vehicles
      2017 Cruze Hatch
      05-21-2017 11:38 AM #60
      Realoem.com is a lifesaver for BMWs. I wish it existed for other brands. Saved my bacon a few times with my E38.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

11. 05-21-2017 04:29 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by WRXGuy View Post
      Realoem.com is a lifesaver for BMWs. I wish it existed for other brands. Saved my bacon a few times with my E38.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I bet. Bookmarked for sure.

Got a few things addressed today. First, replaced the solid FCAB's with standard lollipops and poly bushings. When compared side by side, you can sort of make out the difference, how the solid ones are comparable to the offset bushings used in early E36 M3's. The wheels seem to fit better in the wheelwell, and hopefully won't rub holes in the fender liners like before.

I had noticed the exhaust was a little crooked, which I hoped could be addressed by adjusting the hangers, the joints with the factory mid pipes, or a combination of both. When I looked a bit closer, I could see faint cracks in the end of the muffler canister where something internally must be welded. Took it off, cleaned it up and fired up the TIG welder. I am a bit rusty, and the metal was pretty thin so I had to keep the heat low to prevent blowing holes in it. Repaired ok, washed up the rest and re-hung. Still a little crooked, but not very noticeable and it sounds good

12. 05-27-2017 06:02 PM #62
      Not a lot of pictures, but quite a bit of progress. Started reupholstering the headliner, got the old foam cleaned off and the new headliner material laid down. Need to trim it and wrap edges. No pics yet.

Finished the front end. New fender liners, brake ducts, rub strip on drivers side, etc. Found out the drivers side headlight adaptor (US spec to Euro headlight) had a ground fault and was popping fuses for the high beam. Repaired that. Found a single filament bulb in the drivers side turnsignal instead of a dual filament. Found a fuse blown for the left rear taillights. Correct parts replaced.

Cleaned out trunk and found a pretty large shell casing...previous owner military duty confirmed.

Car has had it's fair share of paint work, not sure if just one respray or not, but there was clearcoat pealing around the BMW emblem on the trunk lid (among other minor hints...nothing BAD, but evident nonetheless). Touched that up. (no pics yet)

Went junking and found trunk side carpet that was missing. Also found an 11 button OBC that I was initially planning on using as a core to be rebuilt, but lo and behold I got super lucky with 100% pixels.

Got a chuckle out of the sign in the junkyard restroom.

Replaced the bushings on the brake pedal and clutch pedal. Found the tab that operates the clutch switch broken, so a new clutch pedal is on order, not sure if I broke it or if it was already busted.

Replaced the pollen filter, what a PITA that was. The filter is meant to break so it can be finnagelled into its home. While reinstalling the passenger side vents, noticed the vanes broken in one side. That is going to be fun to fix.

Need to come up with a mount for the Optima in the trunk. Loose isn't going to cut it. May just have to fab up a bracket of some kind.

Ordered a set of hood struts, apparently the Sedan and Coupe struts are different (?) and I have Coupe ones on there now. The Sedan ones are too large in diameter for the plastic clip that holds the windshield washer hose. Correct Stabilus ones in the mail.

Just got the package of hardware to re-install the front bumper lip spoiler. That's a job for tomorrow though. Getting closer to roadworthy

13. Member
      Vehicles
      R32, B7
      05-27-2017 06:13 PM #63
      this is really coming together!
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '97 M3, '92 GTI project
      05-27-2017 08:41 PM #64
      Nice job!

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit L, '07 Eos 3.2L, '15 Golf LE
      05-27-2017 11:08 PM #65
      Wow this is just flying by, glad you got that control arm bushing problem sorted out!

16. 05-28-2017 09:02 AM #66
      Yep. Coming together. This car has had lots of love in some places, but neglect in others. This car is a driver, a red headed step child. The proverbial ridden hard and put away wet machine. Mechanically it is really well sorted as far as I can tell. Checked brake fluid yesterday and found ATE Super Blue. Yet things like the clogged pollen filter and generally scruffy looking interior (no tears, just dirty) tell me something about the PO's priorities. None of which bothers me really, I am not a fan of polished turds...clean vehicles that look like a million bucks, but have deeply hidden mechanical gremlins stemming from years of neglect (you know, the cars you think of when you drive past the "Buy here, Pay here" lot with balloons flying and the greasy scumbag salesmen perched like vultures at the door).

True story, was looking at a 2007 Passat 3.6 4motion wagon before I got my 2008 4runner. I was having withdrawal symptoms after selling my last VR6 (wookie-gargling-nails noise will do that to ya), but needed something newer for DD duties. I had done some research and knew about the intermediate shaft bolt that likes to back out. I had the preventative work lined up ready to go if the car was purchased. Contacted the dealer after looking at some pictures to setup a test drive and pre-purchase inspection. Day of appointment show up and the car looks great (dark blue exterior, black sport seat interior, navi/dynaudio IIRC), but was informed that the 'lifters were ticking' and that I couldn't drive it. Warning flags start popping up in my head. Get a call a week later the car is fixed, their mechanic had to replace the camshaft 'or something'. Needless to say I passed. Dodged a bullet might be a more apt description.

Anyway. Lip spoiler today, along with minor tune up stuff (air filter, fuel filter, oil change, spark plugs) just to establish a good baseline. Then off to enjoy the weekend, thanks for watching!

Vehicles
      1996 Porsche 911, 2006 Acura CSX
      05-28-2017 09:24 AM #67
      Well done... did you do the paint yourself? What setup do you have for that?

18. 05-28-2017 11:30 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by KingUnderpants View Post
      Well done... did you do the paint yourself? What setup do you have for that?
      Yeah, painted in the garage. I am not a painter, although I have done some touchup with the cheap gravity feed spray (LVHP?) gun I have with OK results. This time around I tried something different. It's a 5 footer. I had an auto paint supply store mix up a pint and put together a couple aerosol cans of base and clear (two stage). It's not professional grade results and because the clear isn't a base with hardener the longevity is questionable. However, Colorado is notoriously hard on bumpers and windshields because of the sand and gravel used in winter. It lingers on the roads and ends up destroying paint and glass on the fronts of cars and trucks. I need to clear bra the Euro lights to try and keep them decent, but I expect to have the front repainted in another year or two, so a rattle can job will suffice for now.

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '97 M3, '92 GTI project
      05-28-2017 11:35 AM #69
      How are the poly FCAB's working out? I'm in a debate with my buddy (who's also my parts guy) about running poly FCAB's vs. OE M3 replacements on my car - I've got an intermittent popping noise from my front suspension that I'm pretty sure is a sign that the FCAB's need replacing.

Hasn't ATE Super Blue been unavailable for a couple years (and by couple I mean like 4 or 5)? Would that date the fluid to be at least 4-5 years old?

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      05-28-2017 11:40 AM #70
      What you doing with those coupe struts.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

21. 05-28-2017 04:16 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      How are the poly FCAB's working out? I'm in a debate with my buddy (who's also my parts guy) about running poly FCAB's vs. OE M3 replacements on my car - I've got an intermittent popping noise from my front suspension that I'm pretty sure is a sign that the FCAB's need replacing.

Hasn't ATE Super Blue been unavailable for a couple years (and by couple I mean like 4 or 5)? Would that date the fluid to be at least 4-5 years old?
      You are correct, hence the ATE Type 200 Amazon delivered today

As for the poly FCAB's...time will tell. They fit, that's all I can tell you at the moment.

22. 05-28-2017 04:19 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      What you doing with those coupe struts.
      Well, the coupe struts on the car creak and groan like the doors in a cheap horror flick. The clips on the ends are FUBAR. They have an appointment with a trashcan. The sedan ones are getting returned, and the new Stabilus struts better fit or I'm getting a broomstick!

23. 05-28-2017 04:46 PM #73
      Spark plugs changed to OEM Bosch F7LDC+, the platinum Bosch's removed were due IMHO. Besides, I don't like platinum tipped plugs, the electrode is small and prone to carbon or fuel fouling (at least when it comes to FI cars).

Got the fuel filter replaced along with an oil change including filter.
      Also messed around with the headliner a bit, installation will be a blast if my previous headliner experience is anything to go by.

Replaced the broken vent wings. Let's just say it was a fiddly task. Tiny screw driver, flashlight, baby needlenose pliers, and lots of patience. Pics show before, broken parts, installation through the back, and after it was done.

Only bad news...I am having a helluva time getting the tint off the rear window. And...I noticed a good size rock chip in the windshield right in the drivers line of sight.

Glass may be in my future

Vehicles
      1996 Porsche 911, 2006 Acura CSX
      05-28-2017 08:40 PM #74
      Yeah, painted in the garage. I am not a painter, although I have done some touchup with the cheap gravity feed spray (LVHP?) gun I have with OK results. This time around I tried something different. It's a 5 footer. I had an auto paint supply store mix up a pint and put together a couple aerosol cans of base and clear (two stage). It's not professional grade results and because the clear isn't a base with hardener the longevity is questionable. However, Colorado is notoriously hard on bumpers and windshields because of the sand and gravel used in winter. It lingers on the roads and ends up destroying paint and glass on the fronts of cars and trucks. I need to clear bra the Euro lights to try and keep them decent, but I expect to have the front repainted in another year or two, so a rattle can job will suffice for now.
      Looks good in the pictures

As a Canadian I can sympathize with the sand on the roads... so this seems like a cost effective way to keep it looking decent.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 GTI, 2003 GTI 20th
      05-28-2017 09:02 PM #75
      Nice project. Really coming together Fast!

I had to remove tint from my 2003 gti last summer. It was tinted right off the lot and the rear was badly bubbled. The side windows were pretty simple but the rear was a long tedious task, especially because I was trying to avoid the defroster lines.

Of all the things I tried, aerosol glass cleaner was the best at dissolving the glue. Ammonia is ok but you have to smell/breath it. Do the trash bag over the tint trick with plenty of glass cleaner between, and just work on a little at a time so it is always soaking under the bag.

Use stainless steel razor blades. They are not the easiest thing to find, the tint guy gave me a hand full. But they will not scratch the glass like carbon blades can. Walgreens has them sometimes.

You'll also want some some ultra fine 0000 steel wool. This with glass cleaner removes any trace of leftover glue.

Also a steamer really helps with old tint, I wish I would have had one when I did my car
      Last edited by Gromel; 05-28-2017 at 09:05 PM.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast