VWVortex.com - I needed an E36 so I acquired a darling (flaming pile or potential v3.11)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I needed an E36 so I acquired a darling (flaming pile or potential v3.11)

1. 05-28-2017 09:08 PM #76
      I tried the glass cleaner under a bag in the sun...I can only get pieces off in tiny strips. I will try to locate a steamer.

Thanks!
      Last edited by jaystone; 05-28-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Vehicles
      2017 Cruze Hatch
      05-28-2017 09:57 PM #77
      A steamer from Target works for me for getting old tint off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. 05-29-2017 05:31 PM #78
      was the steamer you used a handheld unit or one of the steamer on the floor with a long hose attachment kind of arrangement?

seems getting into the rear glass where it meets the deck may be a tight squeeze

Vehicles
      2017 Cruze Hatch
      05-29-2017 07:11 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      was the steamer you used a handheld unit or one of the steamer on the floor with a long hose attachment kind of arrangement?

seems getting into the rear glass where it meets the deck may be a tight squeeze
      It was one of those handheld ones-- got the tint right off to the back deck of a '06 Impreza-- word of warning though - tint/glass will be about 1M degrees- so be careful!

Vehicles
      98 M3 & 96 4Runner
      05-30-2017 09:13 AM #80
      Good job so far restoring new life into the grocery getter. I don't envy you with the task of removing old tint from the rear window, and would have a hard time trusting a tint shop to do it without ruining the defroster.

6. 05-30-2017 04:21 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by craig20v View Post
      Good job so far restoring new life into the grocery getter. I don't envy you with the task of removing old tint from the rear window, and would have a hard time trusting a tint shop to do it without ruining the defroster.
      Thanks for the vote of confidence. Just trying to get it daily driveable with minimal headaches. As for the tint, my go to guy has since moved to Arizona, and I also don't really trust the job to a tint shop. Problem is, I think some of the lines are already screwed up as the tint was partially off in the corners when I got it. I will need to take a meter and check continuity across some of the traces. I have a little defroster repair fluid from a previous project, need to dig it out and see if its any good.

7. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-30-2017 04:44 PM #82
      Thanks for the vote of confidence. Just trying to get it daily driveable with minimal headaches. As for the tint, my go to guy has since moved to Arizona, and I also don't really trust the job to a tint shop. Problem is, I think some of the lines are already screwed up as the tint was partially off in the corners when I got it. I will need to take a meter and check continuity across some of the traces. I have a little defroster repair fluid from a previous project, need to dig it out and see if its any good.
      Can you source a used rear window? It might be cheaper and certainly sounds easier!

I hate tint.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 GTI, 2003 GTI 20th
      05-30-2017 06:48 PM #83
      Hmm i hope my tint guy is not the same guy your thinking, as I need some other work done soon myself. But I would not hesitate to take anything to tinteks in Parker.

9. 05-30-2017 08:38 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Gromel View Post
      Hmm i hope my tint guy is not the same guy your thinking, as I need some other work done soon myself. But I would not hesitate to take anything to tinteks in Parker.
      None other than Mr Dan Held. He got me into VR6 swaps in the early 2000's and then showed me how much nicer an e36 was compared to all the mk2's and 3's we'd been messing with. I haven't kept in touch like I should have, but such are the poor choices one makes. I got in touch a little bit ago and it sounds like he is still in Parker...AZ didnt pan out.

As for sourcing a used piece of glass, with the cost to install along with new trim, seals, and gaskets...might as well buy a new piece. Hoping not.

10. 05-31-2017 07:32 PM #85
      Midweek update...really no update. Heading to a BMW MOA rally this weekend. The other kind of BMW. Some parts have shown up, notably the new clutch pedal and some tools for the trunk tool kit.

Turned the shell into a tap handle for my homebrew kegerator.

Otherwise, probably going to be a week or so for any more significant photoworthy progress. Until then, a couple shots from when I got home today. Space is tight in the ole' man cave!

05-31-2017 08:30 PM #86
      When this thread started, I must say that I initially questioned your choice of this particular M3 to start with.

But you're doing the Lord's work here man! Nice job getting it back up to spec. Hopefully you're enjoying your M as much as I've been enjoying my E39 530. Just something about that straight six and the way it makes power.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

12. 05-31-2017 08:44 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      When this thread started, I must say that I initially questioned your choice of this particular M3 to start with.

But you're doing the Lord's work here man! Nice job getting it back up to spec. Hopefully you're enjoying your M as much as I've been enjoying my E39 530. Just something about that straight six and the way it makes power.

Chris
      I must say that my limited seat time has so far been the main thing keeping me going. Straight 6's are such a gem of an engine. The inherent balance, and silky smooth power delivery along with BMW's level of analog feedback are the things of legend. E36's, Miata's, etc are the benchmark because of the intangibles. No single aspect is ground shattering or record breaking. Rather the whole package just delivers. Nothing is necessarily top of it's class, but just a complete package. Balance of the parts and pieces. Yeah it was built to a price point, but much like when I had my E28...the continued availability of parts and a dedicated enthusiast network keep these cars relavent. My old Mk3 and Mk2 VW before it were getting increasingly difficult to find parts for. Stupid **** like window seals. Such is not the case with this car.

Maybe I keep this one.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Explorer 04 Forester 97 M3/4/5 91 318iC
      05-31-2017 09:19 PM #88
      After 2 years I'm just excited to see mine in the garage as I was when I bought it.

I'm typically not one to keep cars but I can't imagine selling this one.

Vehicles
      981 CS | E39 M5
      06-01-2017 03:16 AM #89
      Late to the party but all caught up and will be following closely! Nice work so far!

Looks like we're both restoring M cars at the same time (E39 M5 for me), but you got way more room and tools than I do. My center plastic vents were also broken but I just sprung for a new part. Good on you for repairing it.

I considered E36 M3s for a while when I started looking for a project and found a really nice one in San Diego. Don't remember how many miles but from the pictures it looked immaculate and I believe the owner was asking something around $20k. But I don't know...there's something fun about restoring these cars that makes driving the "finished" product considerably more enjoyable than a turn-key purchase.

I have a copy of the BMW TIS if you need anything, but I've noticed realoem.com is pretty good, though sometimes the diagrams are wrong.

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '97 M3, '92 GTI project
      06-01-2017 08:18 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      I have a copy of the BMW TIS if you need anything, but I've noticed realoem.com is pretty good, though sometimes the diagrams are wrong.
      ETK (etkbmw.com) is also good. Pretty similar to RealOEM but different interface.

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      06-01-2017 08:52 AM #91
      I must say that my limited seat time has so far been the main thing keeping me going. Straight 6's are such a gem of an engine. The inherent balance, and silky smooth power delivery along with BMW's level of analog feedback are the things of legend. E36's, Miata's, etc are the benchmark because of the intangibles. No single aspect is ground shattering or record breaking. Rather the whole package just delivers. Nothing is necessarily top of it's class, but just a complete package. Balance of the parts and pieces. Yeah it was built to a price point, but much like when I had my E28...the continued availability of parts and a dedicated enthusiast network keep these cars relavent. My old Mk3 and Mk2 VW before it were getting increasingly difficult to find parts for. Stupid **** like window seals. Such is not the case with this car.

Maybe I keep this one.
      You've got it right. The E36 M3 is 'just right'. And people bitch about the body not having unique flares etc or being a widebody, well that to me makes it an appealing car due to parts interchangeability with all other E36. Also things like the head itself is the same casting as an M50, makes solving things easier and parts easier to come by.

I've said this time and time again. The E36 M3 is the easiest M car to own there may ever be... and that counts as something positive to me coming from a brand where M-cars are notorious for being expensive and finicky to maintain.

You should definitely keep it, it's turning out pretty nice.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Vehicles
      98 M3 & 96 4Runner
      06-01-2017 01:59 PM #92
      The inherent balance, and silky smooth power delivery along with BMW's level of analog feedback are the things of legend... the benchmark because of the intangibles.
      I remember the first time I drove an e36 M - it made my VWs at the time feel like toys.

Maybe I keep this one.
      They are definitely the type of car to keep. As mentioned by several folks in this thread, the support from the community is there, the parts are readily available, it's a fairly simple car to DIY most things and it's very rewarding to drive. These reasons are why people with faster, more capable cars dump them for the lowly, under powered fake M.

The fact that you started with an example that needed the TLC you're putting in is even better, IMO, as you won't be terribly concerned about driving it or taking it to the track every now and then. I'm admittedly "mildly OCD" and I've come to accept that my car is not perfect. If it were, I might not actually enjoy it as much.

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '97 M3, '92 GTI project
      06-01-2017 02:23 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      You've got it right. The E36 M3 is 'just right'.
      Here, I'm wondering why I'm continuing to swap a VR6 into a Mk2 while I have my E36 M3...

19. 06-01-2017 02:57 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Here, I'm wondering why I'm continuing to swap a VR6 into a Mk2 while I have my E36 M3...
      Because nothing sounds quite as epic as a VR6

20. 06-01-2017 03:05 PM #95
      The fact that you started with an example that needed the TLC you're putting in is even better, IMO, as you won't be terribly concerned about driving it or taking it to the track every now and then. I'm admittedly "mildly OCD" and I've come to accept that my car is not perfect. If it were, I might not actually enjoy it as much.
      I am also likewise mildly OCD. I am also a chronic DIYer, occasionally frugal (I don't have a problem paying for quality, but dammit I'm gonna look for the best deal available), with a mild streak of jusfukit. I like to do things right the first time, however there are things that I can live with because the alternative is stupid expensive (how I painted the bumper for example).

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      06-01-2017 03:14 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Because nothing sounds quite as epic as a VR6
      Yeah, I gave up on my Mk2, I have it for sale right now. It doesn't drive anything close to what my M3 drives like and I've lost the urge to work on it anymore.

GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

22. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Explorer 04 Forester 97 M3/4/5 91 318iC
      06-01-2017 04:01 PM #97
      I remember the first time I drove an e36 M - it made my VWs at the time feel like toys.

That is true. Makes me a little sad I spent so much time on VWs.

How many reformed VW owners in here?

<<< Former owner of '77 Rabbit with 2.0 16V swap.

Vehicles
      911 C2S
      06-01-2017 04:03 PM #98
      134k miles on it.

If you got that for anything in the $5-6k range I would say that's a great deal. Front end damage seems minor, and doubt it would do anything value wise. Seems like a really good buy, especially with all the service work and upgrades in that listing.

They are definitely the type of car to keep. As mentioned by several folks in this thread, the support from the community is there, the parts are readily available, it's a fairly simple car to DIY most things and it's very rewarding to drive. These reasons are why people with faster, more capable cars dump them for the lowly, under powered fake M.
      When I had my e36 M3, I honestly liked it the least out of my three cars at the time. It was a little rough on the outside, but it had all maintenance up to date and minor modifications which did make it kinda fun to drive. I bought it as a daily driver though, and it was perfect for it's purpose. My other cars were more of my weekend toys. I personally enjoyed driving my other two cars, mk4 r32 and mk2 2.0l 16v, more when I got the chance.

Maybe I'm just too much of a VW fan boy
      Last edited by t_white; 06-01-2017 at 04:31 PM.
      LOL @ listing mods in your sig

24. 06-01-2017 04:31 PM #99
      No fault in still enjoying VW's...I personally was just tired of front wheel drive. Mk4 R32's are pretty fun as well, but after working at a VW dealership during the mk4/b5 era I can't say I really trust them. Too many dumb problems. Not that I expect this E36 to be rock solid reliable and completely trouble free. Just time for something different, a little 'strange' you know

Vehicles
      911 C2S
      06-01-2017 04:35 PM #100
      No fault in still enjoying VW's...I personally was just tired of front wheel drive. Mk4 R32's are pretty fun as well, but after working at a VW dealership during the mk4/b5 era I can't say I really trust them. Too many dumb problems. Not that I expect this E36 to be rock solid reliable and completely trouble free. Just time for something different, a little 'strange' you know
      I do like having a reliable car, which my mk4 R32 was. Most of my other VW's however did not live up to that statement for the most part. It probably doesn't help that I am now daily driving a ticking time bomb (to most). I am currently looking for a fun yet reliable daily now, and a 3/4/5 wouldn't be a bad choice given the right car at the right price. I doubt it would beat the 911's level of fun though.
      LOL @ listing mods in your sig

For advertising information click HERE

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast