VWVortex.com - I needed an E36 so I acquired a darling (flaming pile or potential v3.11)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I needed an E36 so I acquired a darling (flaming pile or potential v3.11)

06-01-2017 05:10 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      After 2 years I'm just excited to see mine in the garage as I was when I bought it.

I'm typically not one to keep cars but I can't imagine selling this one.
      Damn, you've had your car for two years already?!

Vehicles
      MK6 GTI • Audi B7 S4
      06-01-2017 05:13 PM #102
      Nice job at turning this car around and giving it the love it deserves.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Explorer 04 Forester 97 M3/4/5 91 318iC
      06-01-2017 05:17 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by LaFerrari View Post
      Damn, you've had your car for two years already?!

Going on two years.

06-01-2017 05:21 PM #104
      Going on two years.
      Yeah, but still.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      06-01-2017 05:43 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by LaFerrari View Post
      Yeah, but still.
      Time flies when you're having fun (or raising kids..).

6. 06-01-2017 08:59 PM #106
      Time flies when you're having fun (or raising kids..).
      Time flies once you hit mid 20's. Very eye opening to think I graduated high school the year my E36 was made.

7. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-01-2017 09:42 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      Time flies once you hit mid 20's. Very eye opening to think I graduated high school the year my E36 was made.
      you make me chuckle.

Time is under constant acceleration. The older you get, the faster it goes. (You can quote me, but that's mine. )
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)/Saab 9-5 Aero (imported from Washington)
      06-01-2017 09:56 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post

But you're doing the Lord's work here man! Nice job getting it back up to spec.
      This.

Makes me miss my Alpine White 3/4/5 .

6 years of ownership and I don't even have any decent pics of it...

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      98 M3
      06-02-2017 12:51 AM #109
      That is true. Makes me a little sad I spent so much time on VWs.

How many reformed VW owners in here?

<<< Former owner of '77 Rabbit with 2.0 16V swap.
      Former 95 Corrado vr6 owner, and then a mk5 GTI.
      Both were great cars in a way. The rado was beautiful, fun, and nimble. The gti (stage 2) was fast and capable.
      The e36 is everything both cars were and then some. For me, its the absolute perfect car at this stage in my life.
      98 m3
      99.9k and about to officially become worthless.
      Technoviolet/anthrazit cloth

10. 06-02-2017 09:23 AM #110
      Awesome car, awesome DIY restoration project, speedy progress. Keep up the good work! Based on the tasks you've accomplished so far I feel like our mechanic skill sets are about evenly matched, so it's making me feel like I could handle a rolling restoration of one of these cars (other than my strong desire to spend time with my family instead of many hours working in the garage). I'm looking at all the other cars that were on your list before you got this, so I imagine it will all come down to opportunity: the right car at the right time at the right price.
      Current: 2016 Volvo XC90 - 2010 Volvo XC70 - 1991 Mazda Miata :: 2000 Aprilia RS50 - 1972 Honda CB350
      Past: 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 - 2013 Volkswagen GTI - 2007 BMW 335i - 1988 BMW 635CSi - 1987 Volkswagen Jetta GLI - 1987 Suzuki Samurai - 1984 BMW 633CSi :: 1992 Kawasaki KDX200 - 1983 Yamaha YZ80

11. 06-02-2017 05:33 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Awesome car, awesome DIY restoration project, speedy progress. Keep up the good work! Based on the tasks you've accomplished so far I feel like our mechanic skill sets are about evenly matched, so it's making me feel like I could handle a rolling restoration of one of these cars (other than my strong desire to spend time with my family instead of many hours working in the garage). I'm looking at all the other cars that were on your list before you got this, so I imagine it will all come down to opportunity: the right car at the right time at the right price.
      Gotta be ready to pull the trigger when the opportunity arrises. I have said it before and will say it again, the parts availability for these cars is one of the biggest benefits over comparable VW's.

Do it.

12. 06-10-2017 07:45 PM #112
      Gotta be ready to pull the trigger when the opportunity arrises. I have said it before and will say it again, the parts availability for these cars is one of the biggest benefits over comparable VW's.

Do it.
      Been a helluva week. I am a foreman for an electrical contractor in Denver. I primarily run a crew at Denver International Airport, but have been called upon to run a job at a warehouse facility nearby installing a sort conveyor system.

Got the Lamin-X installed on the headlights, fogs and turns. Got the new clutch pedal installed (clutch return spring is a PITA to get back in). Found the expansion tank Entluftung (coolant bleed) screw was stripped, so a new expansion tank is on order.

I got a replacement battery cover only to find out a yellow top Optima is too tall for it.

I am going to try and remove the tint from the rear glass tomorrow now that I have a steamer. Once that is done, I can reinstall the headliner and button up the interior, mainly a solid cleaning and leather conditioning.

Hope to have a few progress photos tomorrow.

Will try to get emissions and registration next week

13. 06-11-2017 08:36 PM #113
      Note to self, pay somebody to remove tint next time. However much it costs...it is worth it. Took 4 hours with a steamer and plastic razor blades to get off all the old tint. Typically about a square inch at a time, frequently less, and on a couple occasions I got chunks as big as a dollar bill. Not sure if I was doing it wrong (likely) or of this tint was just that baked on (what I would like to believe).

Headliner installed, missing one vanity light and both visor clips. eBay to the rescue. Parts on their way.

On a positive note, I removed and cleaned the parcel shelf cover to make tint removal easier. It was FILTHY, so it got a wash and now looks 100% better.

Couple pictures, thankfully it wasn't 90 plus degrees today like yesterday. A perfect 78 for the high.

14. 06-11-2017 10:41 PM #114
      OP, a pleasure top watch the progress thank you for sharing.

What do you use to paint the body parts?

15. 06-12-2017 06:05 AM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by vladimirP View Post
      OP, a pleasure top watch the progress thank you for sharing.

What do you use to paint the body parts?
      I had an auto paint supply shop mix the correct paint code and put it in aerosol cans for me.

Vehicles
      GTI
      06-12-2017 07:28 AM #116

I am going to try and remove the tint from the rear glass tomorrow now that I have a steamer. Once that is done, I can reinstall the headliner and button up the interior, mainly a solid cleaning and leather conditioning.
      I don't know if you have started removing the tint but I used a handheld steamer from Target. First park your car in the sun for a couple hours. Start spraying the steam on the to edge of the window, it's better to start in a corner. Spray the inside of the window then when the glue is soft spray between the tint and the window. Take your time, go slow, and there should be very little glue the remains on the glass. If you try to rush the job, you will regret it, and then cleaning off the glue will really suck. I was able to remove tint from the rear window without damaging the defroster lines but my car was only a few months old (bad tint job).

It took me about three hours to do 5 windows (2015 GTI). If any glue remains, I'd use lots of soapy water and plastic razor blades.

Hope thing go well.

Edit: Derp, I missed that you had already tackled the job. Mine came of in whole sheets, maybe because it was about a week old.
      Last edited by Reflex Silver 2.0T; 06-12-2017 at 07:31 AM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      06-12-2017 07:58 AM #117
      OP - Have you come across any good Dove leather in your junk yard travels?

I'm hoping to find a good passenger seat to refresh my driver seat.
      Ebay hasn't yielded anything good over the last year.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 GTI, 2003 GTI 20th
      06-12-2017 08:18 AM #118
      Note to self, pay somebody to remove tint next time. However much it costs...it is worth it. Took 4 hours with a steamer and plastic razor blades to get off all the old tint. Typically about a square inch at a time, frequently less, and on a couple occasions I got chunks as big as a dollar bill. Not sure if I was doing it wrong (likely) or of this tint was just that baked on (what I would like to believe).

Headliner installed, missing one vanity light and both visor clips. eBay to the rescue. Parts on their way.

On a positive note, I removed and cleaned the parcel shelf cover to make tint removal easier. It was FILTHY, so it got a wash and now looks 100% better.

Couple pictures, thankfully it wasn't 90 plus degrees today like yesterday. A perfect 78 for the high.

That's about how it goes for old tint. Took me about two weeks an hour every day to get the old baked on tint off my car. Rear windows are the worst.

Any performance mods planned?

19. 06-12-2017 09:00 AM #119
      OP - Have you come across any good Dove leather in your junk yard travels?

I'm hoping to find a good passenger seat to refresh my driver seat.
      Ebay hasn't yielded anything good over the last year.
      Nothing that nice in the yards. Somebody on the Denver Craigslist was parting a dove sedan, but that was a few weeks ago.

There are a few companies that make new covers if you want to go that route, they are pricey but seem to be good quality.

Edit; Autoberry seems to be well regarded.

20. 06-12-2017 09:09 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by Gromel View Post
      That's about how it goes for old tint. Took me about two weeks an hour every day to get the old baked on tint off my car. Rear windows are the worst.

Any performance mods planned?
      For now, no performance mods other than the exhaust, some kind of software reflash (gotta dig into the receipts again) and all the suspension work. Car came with Koni's and coilovers (Ground Control IIRC), some kind of upgraded swaybars (H&R?), poly bushings everywhere, camber plates, and reinforcement plates for rear shocks.

Just going to keep it relatively stock, I want to drive this car more than work on it if possible. I have had too many long term projects in the past that spend more time under a wrench than under the sun.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      06-12-2017 09:12 AM #121
      Nothing that nice in the yards. Somebody on the Denver Craigslist was parting a dove sedan, but that was a few weeks ago.

There are a few companies that make new covers if you want to go that route, they are pricey but seem to be good quality.

Edit; Autoberry seems to be well regarded.

Autoberry is an option. I'm worried it will make the door panels, carpet, etc look dingy. I'm not ready to take on a full interior restoration at this point.

I'd like to find some nicely patina'd original leather to keep everything cohesive.
      Finding a clean driver seat is unlikely.
      I'd like to try the trick of swapping a good passenger seat bottom onto the driver seat.

22. 06-12-2017 10:09 AM #122
      I have used Leatherique in the past with good results. In my old 1995 GLX Jetta I patched a tear in the seat bottom near a seam and filled some wear spots in the side bolster, along with redying the black interior. I would seriously consider that as an option.

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '97 M3, '92 GTI project
      06-12-2017 11:30 AM #123
      Gotta stop watching this or I'll be tempted to make mine perfect...which would be a lost cause

24. 06-12-2017 11:37 AM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Gotta stop watching this or I'll be tempted to make mine perfect...which would be a lost cause

I appreciate the comment, but I don't think it will ever be perfect...unless you are looking from 5 feet away! It shows really well for it's age and mileage, and is mechanically pretty solid, but a pristine collector worthy example it is not. Enthusiast Auto Group probably wouldn't be interested in it

Just gotta do the best you can with what you have got!

25. 06-12-2017 08:09 PM #125
      I had an auto paint supply shop mix the correct paint code and put it in aerosol cans for me.
      I figured. Looks good. I've done it a couple times myself.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast