VWVortex.com - Atlas Test Drive and Lease info
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 61

    Thread: Atlas Test Drive and Lease info

    1. Member Hajduk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2000
      Location
      Ottawa CDN
      Posts
      16,349
      Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      05-17-2017 12:18 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by edyvw View Post
      Dozens official reviews (I am not talking about those people who woke up one day and decided to have youtube channel) are talking how engine feels underpowered, both C&D and Motor Trend.
      C&D and Motor Trend never said the engine felt under powered in their reviews.

    2. 05-17-2017 12:40 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by edyvw View Post
      Who cares about 0-60? I mean seriously?
      Its a measurable comparison... unlike your personal opinion.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2009
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      175
      Vehicles
      2013 BMW X5 35d, 2011 Tiguan
      05-17-2017 12:52 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      C&D and Motor Trend never said the engine felt under powered in their reviews.
      Google reviews and read whole reviews.
      This is where the problem is: VW made car that should appeal to traditional VW drivers and Toyota drivers. Same mistake was done by BMW with current X5 F15. While initially attracted a lot of traditional buyers of Lexus and MB because of its softer ride, light steering etc. once those drivers started to experience typical European and BMW demands of maintenance like unique oil specifications and problems that stem from hi-tech solutions, they bailed out. Problem is, traditional BMW buyers did not want that car. Traditional BMW users knew that BMW comes with strings attached, but they are willing to live with it because of crisp steering, crisp handling, power etc.
      So VW will attract typical buyers of Toyota. Even sales persons are apparently trained to sell BS to buyers like the one that gave me lecture how there s no body role (there is) because engine sits low, and how transverse engine is better because it sits more to the back (at that point I almost fainted). But, that works with Toyota drivers because as long as you tell them it has V6, they are fine. So they will be sold on interior (no doubt about that, it is IMO by far best designed and practical interior in that class), and then it will start with: yeah, you need VW 502.00 oil, and you 10min oil change station does not have that, etc. etc. Traditional VW buyers who want some power and fun to drive will bail out to CX-9 or some other vehicle, while Toyota drivers after lease or some time will go back to Highlander. VW wants to please everyone, and IMO they are much closer to that then BMW, BUT they need to add much stronger engine as option. That is it.
      13' BMW X5 35d
      11' Tiguan SEL 4Motion

    4. Member Hajduk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2000
      Location
      Ottawa CDN
      Posts
      16,349
      Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      05-17-2017 12:56 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by edyvw View Post
      Google reviews and read whole reviews.
      This is where the problem is: VW made car that should appeal to traditional VW drivers and Toyota drivers. Same mistake was done by BMW with current X5 F15. While initially attracted a lot of traditional buyers of Lexus and MB because of its softer ride, light steering etc. once those drivers started to experience typical European and BMW demands of maintenance like unique oil specifications and problems that stem from hi-tech solutions, they bailed out. Problem is, traditional BMW buyers did not want that car. Traditional BMW users knew that BMW comes with strings attached, but they are willing to live with it because of crisp steering, crisp handling, power etc.
      So VW will attract typical buyers of Toyota. Even sales persons are apparently trained to sell BS to buyers like the one that gave me lecture how there s no body role (there is) because engine sits low, and how transverse engine is better because it sits more to the back (at that point I almost fainted). But, that works with Toyota drivers because as long as you tell them it has V6, they are fine. So they will be sold on interior (no doubt about that, it is IMO by far best designed and practical interior in that class), and then it will start with: yeah, you need VW 502.00 oil, and you 10min oil change station does not have that, etc. etc. Traditional VW buyers who want some power and fun to drive will bail out to CX-9 or some other vehicle, while Toyota drivers after lease or some time will go back to Highlander. VW wants to please everyone, and IMO they are much closer to that then BMW, BUT they need to add much stronger engine as option. That is it.
      I have no idea what that blurb is and why you posted it.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2009
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      175
      Vehicles
      2013 BMW X5 35d, 2011 Tiguan
      05-17-2017 12:57 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by shawshank redemption View Post
      Its a measurable comparison... unlike your personal opinion.
      LOL. Typical sales person pitch that is aimed at people who do not know anything about cars. What matters in SUV is good 40-60mph or 50-70mph acceleration, and that is COMPLETELY absent in Atlas. I do not want even to try how that snail moves with full trunk, roof box etc. and then try to negotiate Rocky Mountains. I would have to bring oxygen tank and defibrillator just on case to resuscitate engine.
      13' BMW X5 35d
      11' Tiguan SEL 4Motion

    6. Member
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2009
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      175
      Vehicles
      2013 BMW X5 35d, 2011 Tiguan
      05-17-2017 12:59 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      I have no idea what that blurb is and why you posted it.
      OK, we will see in 6 months what reviews are saying and how sales is going.
      13' BMW X5 35d
      11' Tiguan SEL 4Motion

    7. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2017
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      62
      Vehicles
      2012 BMW X5
      05-17-2017 01:17 PM #32
      I've been biting my tongue on this for a while now.

      Lets just leave the discussion where it is. Obviously you are not happy with the engine. You want more torque, more power, etc. You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else, but no need to continue to blast the same thing over and over again. For you the engine is obviously high on your priority list. For others it may well be the same. But its very difficult to say that the vast majority of people need acceleration in the 40-60 range. Sorry but that is just opinion.

      Everyone here is here as they like the vehicle and want to share constructive feedback on it - so I would prefer to keep it that way. For me that means hearing all of the good with the bad. However keep in mind that while someone may think the cargo capacity is the best feature, someone else may think opposite. Same goes for the engine - although extremely important to you - perhaps less important to others who want the space for 7, etc.

      In my opinion when you are buying a 7 passenger sport ute, you are often sacrificing driving dynamics and lets face it, these aren't designed to be sports cars. So while yes I agree the Ford Ecoboost in the Explorer is a stronger engine - I passed on the Explorer over a year ago as the seating confort, ride and handling were sub par to me. While the CX-9 my have an awesome torque-y engine, it absolutely sucks in cargo capacity (compared to the rest)

      Regardless, I own a 2012 X5 35i. Sure the engine is great but I am looking elsewhere as the interior space is getting cramped and I don't care for the stiff suspension anymore. So maybe that means some body roll, but im at the stage in life where I want comfort. So if that means cornering at 60 instead of 80 it's a trade off I am willing to take.

      Once I test drive I will be happy to share my opinion and driving impressions as compared to the X5. Additionally, I am located 3500' above sea level so will be able to give some input as to acceleration at altitude.
      Last edited by jkopelc; 05-17-2017 at 01:20 PM.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2009
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      175
      Vehicles
      2013 BMW X5 35d, 2011 Tiguan
      05-17-2017 01:22 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by jkopelc View Post
      I've been biting my tongue on this for a while now.

      Lets just leave the discussion where it is. Obviously you are not happy with the engine. You want more torque, more power, etc. You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else, but no need to continue to blast the same thing over and over again. For you the engine is obviously high on your priority list. For others it may well be the same. But its very difficult to say that the vast majority of people need acceleration in the 40-60 range. Sorry but that is just opinion.

      Everyone here is here as they like the vehicle and want to share constructive feedback on it - so I would prefer to keep it that way. For me that means hearing all of the good with the bad. However keep in mind that while someone may think the cargo capacity is the best feature, someone else may think opposite. Same goes for the engine - although extremely important to you - perhaps less important to others who want the space for 7, etc.

      In my opinion when you are buying a 7 passenger sport ute, you are often sacrificing driving dynamics and lets face it, these aren't designed to be sports cars. So while yes I agree the Ford Ecoboost in the Explorer is a stronger engine - I passed on the Explorer over a year ago as the seating confort, ride and handling were sub par to me.


      Regardless, I own a 2012 X5 35i. Sure the engine is great but I am looking elsewhere as the interior space is getting cramped and I don't care for the stiff suspension anymore. So maybe that means some body roll, but im at the stage in life where I want comfort. So if that means cornering at 60 instead of 80 it's a trade off I am willing to take.

      Once I test drive I will be happy to share my opinion and driving impressions as compared to the X5. Additionally, I am located 3500' above sea level so will be able to give some input as to acceleration at altitude.
      Like I said in other thread, Atlas check literally all boxes. I am in same boat as you. X5 is getting cramped and we do a lot of long trips. While all that is doable with one kid, another one is in plan, and that will become issue. But, precisely because we are doing a lot of driving, having underpowered engine under the hood is an issue. That is why I am literally pissed, because this thing drives good, has good brakes, is PERFECT family vehicle, and then they drop the ball on engine. If they do not do something, and I must replace X5 due to space, this would be first time since 1996 that I would not have VW in garage.
      13' BMW X5 35d
      11' Tiguan SEL 4Motion

    9. Member cwescapexlt4x4's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2nd, 2003
      Location
      623 PHX AZ area
      Posts
      1,590
      Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i /2016 Ford Explorer/Previous 2013 & 2011 JSW TDI/97 Jetta
      05-17-2017 05:23 PM #34
      I would be that @edyvw is finding the N/A engine just not liking the higher elevation he is at and the much thinner air = less power for N/A engines.

      I haven't driven an Atlas with no plans to, but i bet that's a real issue with this large vehicle without a ton of power.
      2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i - 2016 Ford Explorer Limited
      **GONE VW #DasPolluter 2013 JSW TDI Oo>=====v=====<oO 2011 Kia Optima SX(Turbo)/2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4/2011 JSW TDI/2006 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 V8/2001 Focus wagon/2001 Ford Escape/97 Jetta GT

    10. Member
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2009
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      175
      Vehicles
      2013 BMW X5 35d, 2011 Tiguan
      05-17-2017 08:21 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by cwescapexlt4x4 View Post
      I would be that @edyvw is finding the N/A engine just not liking the higher elevation he is at and the much thinner air = less power for N/A engines.

      I haven't driven an Atlas with no plans to, but i bet that's a real issue with this large vehicle without a ton of power.
      I drove Toyota Highlander, Dodge Durango (V6), Honda Pilot here too. It is not turbo, but you never have feeling that there is lack of power in those vehicles.
      13' BMW X5 35d
      11' Tiguan SEL 4Motion

    11. Member cgvalant's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2005
      Location
      Apex, NC
      Posts
      1,143
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI
      05-18-2017 08:46 AM #36
      So, I stopped by the dealer yesterday and put eyes on my first Atlas, which was an SE. Didn't drive it, but my son and I climbed all through it. Good first impression. It really has a car like feel to it and its proportions are deceiving. You don't realize until you sit in it just how big it is. It's going to be replacing the Armada, so it might have just been the difference in height that made it so deceiving.

      Only thing I didn't like was how big the black trim was around the bottom of the car. Really makes me want the r line, but not sure if I'm willing to go down to the SEL and give up the digital instrument cluster, led tails and real leather with cooling seats.

      Maybe I'll get lucky and can force an order of an SEL premium with r line like the folks north of the border can. I don't care about the self park or 4 view camera that you lose with the rline.

      Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
      2015 VW GTI - SE - 4-Door - Pure White - DSG <---- Stock, for now

    12. 05-18-2017 10:57 AM #37
      dealer here is advertising $439 ($3299 down) for the SE w/ tech

      I'm looking to purchase the car. how does this translate to the cost of the vehicle?

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 22nd, 2010
      Location
      Seal Beach, CA
      Posts
      175
      Vehicles
      08 R32, 04 Phaeton V8
      05-18-2017 11:36 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by GiddyGTI View Post
      dealer here is advertising $439 ($3299 down) for the SE w/ tech

      I'm looking to purchase the car. how does this translate to the cost of the vehicle?
      Where is here?

    14. 05-19-2017 11:11 AM #39
      Guess I'll be sticking with my Durango R/T with the Hemi.

    15. 05-20-2017 12:10 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by GjR32 View Post
      Where is here?
      NY Mohegan lake dealer

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2013
      Location
      Asheville
      Posts
      134
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      05-20-2017 12:24 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by GiddyGTI View Post
      NY Mohegan lake dealer
      Is that for the V6 model or the 2.0? My dealer is quoting me $544/month with $3299 down

    17. 05-20-2017 10:21 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by domfearns View Post
      Is that for the V6 model or the 2.0? My dealer is quoting me $544/month with $3299 down
      There are no 2.0T's yet. Only V6. What trim level did they quote you $544 on?

    18. 05-20-2017 10:24 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by GiddyGTI View Post
      dealer here is advertising $439 ($3299 down) for the SE w/ tech

      I'm looking to purchase the car. how does this translate to the cost of the vehicle?
      Where are the taxes and fees getting paid? On top of the $3299 or included in there?

    19. Member ERHAU175's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2014
      Location
      PA, Philly area
      Posts
      112
      Vehicles
      GTI Mk7
      05-20-2017 11:51 AM #44
      For comparison, I took a look at the GTI lease that VW offers on their website as of today, $319*/month for 36 month lease., $2,349 due at signing.
      That calculates back to a residual value of 57.8% off MSRP and a money factor of 0.001358. There are some variables, but the APR on that lease then is 3.26% based on the info from the advertised lease.

      So, a residual of 57% for an Atlas does not seem so far off. The money factor of 0.0024 mentioned in this post however is pretty steep, basically an APR north of 5.5%.
      When negotiating a lease, the dealer probably can not go off the residual or the money factor as that is a given by VW Finance (separate corporate entity). In order to lower the lease payment, the dealer has to increase the discount on the MSRP and that, in this,early stage, probably is limited by what the current dealer invoice is or what VW approves.
      I probably also have to wait a bit until the first promotions come out.

    20. Member GTi_4_Life's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 24th, 2004
      Location
      Philadelphia
      Posts
      828
      Vehicles
      2015 VW Golf R #66, 2013 VW Passat SE, 1997 VW Jetta GLX VR6
      05-20-2017 12:38 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by ERHAU175 View Post
      For comparison, I took a look at the GTI lease that VW offers on their website as of today, $319*/month for 36 month lease., $2,349 due at signing.
      That calculates back to a residual value of 57.8% off MSRP and a money factor of 0.001358. There are some variables, but the APR on that lease then is 3.26% based on the info from the advertised lease.

      So, a residual of 57% for an Atlas does not seem so far off. The money factor of 0.0024 mentioned in this post however is pretty steep, basically an APR north of 5.5%.
      When negotiating a lease, the dealer probably can not go off the residual or the money factor as that is a given by VW Finance (separate corporate entity). In order to lower the lease payment, the dealer has to increase the discount on the MSRP and that, in this,early stage, probably is limited by what the current dealer invoice is or what VW approves.
      I probably also have to wait a bit until the first promotions come out.
      From what I was told, the residual is non negotiable and only changes based on lease terms length/mileage. The MF is based on credit score and is also controlled by the dealership somewhat. My credit score is 800+, VW can kiss my ass on an almost 6% APR on a lease. I had a deal on an Audi Q7 Prestige for almost the same monthly payment that VW wanted on the Atlas SEL Premium, and the Q7 was $75k.

    21. 05-20-2017 02:34 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by GTi_4_Life View Post
      From what I was told, the residual is non negotiable and only changes based on lease terms length/mileage. The MF is based on credit score and is also controlled by the dealership somewhat. My credit score is 800+, VW can kiss my ass on an almost 6% APR on a lease. I had a deal on an Audi Q7 Prestige for almost the same monthly payment that VW wanted on the Atlas SEL Premium, and the Q7 was $75k.
      Residual is set by the manufacturer and can only be adjusted for mileage. The residual is actually pretty strong on the Atlas; on 15k/year the RV is 59 for FWD and 61 for AWD. That's on par/a little better then class leaders like a cx9/pilot. VW sets the MF but a dealer can mark it up a certain amount of points. If you're an 800+ you'll most likely be around 3.9 equivalent apr.

    22. Member bugzy's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2000
      Location
      San Diego, CA
      Posts
      8,587
      05-20-2017 09:14 PM #47
      For those that have issues with lease/money factor, why not purchase the vehicle. You can probably find a credit union giving out 1.49-2% APR.

      Considering the 6yr/72k mile, I think it's actually a decent deal for a longer term purchase. Plus, to be honest, leasing isn't worth it. Unless you are writing the lease off for business.
      .: www.BIG-Euro.com | www.iLOVEeuros.com :.
      Present: 2013 VW Jetta GLI - Candy White | 2000 Jetta 1.8t | 2009 VW Golf GTI (Wife's)
      Past: 2005.5 Audi S4 Avant 6spd manual | 2000 BMW M5 | 1999 VW GTI | 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon | 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t 5spd manual | 1979 VW Rabbit | 1986 Volvo 760 Turbo | 1976 Chevy Nova V8

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2013
      Location
      Asheville
      Posts
      134
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      05-21-2017 12:03 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by rnm2013 View Post
      There are no 2.0T's yet. Only V6. What trim level did they quote you $544 on?
      SE with Tech. Same as yours it sounds like, just an extra $100/month thrown in for good measure

    24. Member
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2009
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      175
      Vehicles
      2013 BMW X5 35d, 2011 Tiguan
      05-21-2017 08:08 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post
      Guess I'll be sticking with my Durango R/T with the Hemi.
      Yeah, i am sticking to BMW until they replace that hairdryer under the hood.
      13' BMW X5 35d
      11' Tiguan SEL 4Motion

    25. Member ryan mills's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2002
      Location
      Mechanicsville, VA
      Posts
      3,247
      Vehicles
      '16 RCSB Silverado, '12 Q7 TDI, '10 A4QM
      05-22-2017 09:15 AM #50
      I have a sneaking suspicion that the 3.6 will eventually be replaced with a 2.5T.... I just don't know how long that's going to take.
      I'm going to wait on the larger Tiguan, and hope that it is big enough for our needs, as there is no digital dash option for the 2.0T.
      I like gadgets, and the Tiguan will have them, I just wish the Atlas had the SEl premium with 2.0.... Hell, I guess in the mean time, I could lease a Q7, and wait for something a little more powerful
      I think I'm really going to miss our current TDI with its mileage, price of fuel, and torque. APR made it pretty darn nice. Oh well, we will see!

    For advertising information click HERE

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •