VWVortex.com - A LOT of blue white smoke
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: A LOT of blue white smoke

1. 05-16-2017 07:40 PM #1
      Replaced cam about 30k ago. Everything running fine until recently. Started with black smoke for a week or two. Changed oil and then white smoke. Removed intake, egr, erg housing. Cleaned them out. Replaced vacuum lines. Now its smoking more but is more of a blue smoke from start up. Once warmed up around 190 degree is smoke white a ton. Not sure what to check, looks like there is some oil around my drivers side of the engine, maybe the head gasket is leaking oil but I'm not sure. Any ideas? Only codes were for glow plug circuit and EGR.

Vehicles
      97 GLX, AAA, '99 Jetta TDI 1.9 1Z
      05-16-2017 10:21 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by oscar563 View Post
      VW's are like hot models...high maintenance but I just don't care
      Quote Originally Posted by jearp View Post
      zach is troll master

3. 05-17-2017 07:13 PM #3
      Nothing. Smoke has changed to more of a blue tint until it really gets going.

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      05-18-2017 12:03 PM #4
      Blue smoke is oil. Turbo maybe?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '16 GLI SE

5. 05-28-2017 04:37 PM #5
      Well code for egr valve over boost condition was on there Ive had it come and go. Also low boost I believe was on there as well. Trying to perform a compression test at the moment as I do have a build up of gunk/oil on my driver side. Not sure if from valve cover though. My tester only goes to 300 and I know my engine should read above yhat. Tried in cyl 1 and it maxed out and now my tester won't hold a number just flips up with key and back down quickly. Maybe broke it. Will get another tester.

If thats not it I'm making a block off plate for my egr valve. If problem goes away I have a egr or wiring problem (for the millionth time, **** these harnesses). If the problem persists I likely have a turbo issue or ? Any ideas besides turbo or how to test turbo?

I replaced what vacuum lines I could find up top and the one that goes to the metal canister near the fire wall to the metal line. My new lines were 3mm. 5mm didn't seem to fit right enough on any nipple but maybe 2 short sections. Would smaller lines affect anything?

Note on start up at idle for 5 mins there is no smoke. None. Start to drive and temp gauge hasn't moved and I'll get bluish smoke. Once I get to about halfway to warm up temp (190) I start to get smoke. Once I get to 190 I smoke a lot. If I'm just cruising with steady pedal input some smoke. Left off and brake to turn snd with reapplying the gas lots of smoke. Not sure if that helps with diagnosing but maybe it'll help someone else with the same issue.

6. 05-28-2017 06:37 PM #6
      Compression test complete. Rented a tester from AutoZone. Only goes to 300 but it didn't blow out and went well past 300. So pistons/cylinders are in great shape.

Noticed that it really doesnt smoke until I'm warmed up, maybe thermostat or another valve thing opening at that temp and causing it? Just a shot in the dark. Even in park warmed up I can rev it and very little to no smoke. So engine has to be under load. So I'm leaning towards egr or turbo? Other ideas?

Off to make a block off plate...

7. Yesterday 07:14 PM #7
      Im assuming if I unplug my egr it will stay closed. I did that and have the same problem. Does this rule out the egr? How fast does that valve actually move? If it does rule out my egr, what am I looking at? A turbo? any vacuum lines to check? Something else?

For advertising information click HERE