VWVortex.com - Any new buyers on the fence until 2018 order guide and pricing is available?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Any new buyers on the fence until 2018 order guide and pricing is available?

1. 05-18-2017 08:52 AM #1
      thanks in advance

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1997 GTI
      05-18-2017 08:57 AM #2
      I am looking to buy an R but am waiting to see if the '18s have the custom color option available and what pricing for that will be if it is available. I refuse to buy an R in the "50 shades of grey" (plus red and a blue that I don't care for) color palette that is currently offered.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE 4DR 6MT PP DCC LP
      05-18-2017 10:19 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by VAG Parts Bin View Post
      I am looking to buy an R but am waiting to see if the '18s have the custom color option available ...
      Good luck with that.

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '05 E46 330Ci ZHP
      05-18-2017 12:58 PM #4
      The '18 order guide is due out literally at any moment now.

A big reason to wait is - warranty. The '18 Atlas has a 6 yr / 72k mile b2b warranty. Could that spread across the line to all '18's? Methinks yes, it could - it would be a very smart move for VW to try to regain trust in this market after the TDI scandal, and it doesn't make much sense to have a single model with twice the warranty as the rest of the line. And a huge competitive advantage in the marketplace.

If this does happen, it will also cause pricing on remaining '17s to crater, since nobody will want to buy an outgoing year model with half the warranty of the next year's model.

The custom color thing would be huuuge for many people too. If it's happening in Canada, there's got to at least be a chance of it being offered here.

Sit tight - we'll know soon enough.

'05 E46 330Ci ZHP coupé ..PD99819
      '16 Golf R 6MT/DCC/DAP

5. 05-18-2017 02:36 PM #5
      need a new car asap since my GLI was totaled in a wreck a week ago. Looking at a 17' GTI SPORT starting at around 25k. I assume the 18' will be at least 30k or more, but man they sure do look very nice
      Chicago
      16' GLI, DSG, DBP, Tints, Unitronic cat-back - 5/05/2017 RIP

6. 05-18-2017 02:42 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

A big reason to wait is - warranty. The '18 Atlas has a 6 yr / 72k mile b2b warranty. Could that spread across the line to all '18's? Methinks yes, it could - it would be a very smart move for VW to try to regain trust in this market after the TDI scandal, and it doesn't make much sense to have a single model with twice the warranty as the rest of the line. And a huge competitive advantage in the marketplace.

If this does happen, it will also cause pricing on remaining '17s to crater, since nobody will want to buy an outgoing year model with half the warranty of the next year's model.

The custom color thing would be huuuge for many people too. If it's happening in Canada, there's got to at least be a chance of it being offered here.

Sit tight - we'll know soon enough.

it will be interesting if they off the 6 yrs to old new cars...guess we will see soon

7. 05-18-2017 03:00 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      I wish

I contacted VW of America's press release team today when I saw this, was told they suspect it won't be available in dealerships much before September.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf TSI SEL 6AT LP/DAP, '14 Fiesta Titanium
      05-18-2017 03:07 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ScampaDawg87 View Post
      I wish

I contacted VW of America's press release team today when I saw this, was told they suspect it won't be available in dealerships much before September.
      Aren't the actual cars due to arrive at dealerships by August? Production starts the first week of July last I saw.

9. 05-18-2017 03:49 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Pennybags View Post
      Aren't the actual cars due to arrive at dealerships by August? Production starts the first week of July last I saw.
      That's what I was thinking, too, but as far as I know that's just speculation. The person I contacted was Mark Gillies from the press release in http://media.vw.com/release/1364/

Was there anything out there that officially says the new models hit the lots in August?

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf TSI SEL 6AT LP/DAP, '14 Fiesta Titanium
      05-18-2017 03:52 PM #10
      That's what I was thinking, too, but as far as I know that's just speculation. The person I contacted was Mark Gillies from the press release in http://media.vw.com/release/1364/

Was there anything out there that officially says the new models hit the lots in August?
      I think this is the only thing that people have to go by so far, but I don't know how reliable that is.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI Sport DSG, Wife: 2016 Tiguan S 4Motion >>>>>> Gone: 2014 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium
      05-18-2017 04:07 PM #11
      I decided to buy a 2017 even though the 2018's were already announced.

I may be the only one that doesn't like the new headlights and wheels on the refresh but that played a big part. I actually prefer the Austins over the new wheels but I love the Nogaro's on the Sport. On top of that I was offered top dollar for my trade and still got the great discounts so it was an easy decision for me.

If the warranty is 6yrs, then I probably should have waited and just paid more later but I love this car! Maybe the headlights/wheels will grow on me..

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '05 E46 330Ci ZHP
      05-18-2017 08:55 PM #12
      I wish

September is about right for initial deliveries - I was referring to the order guide, which will lay out pricing, exactly how each trim level is equipped, etc. It should also include warranty info, and confirm whether there will be any change for the '18's. It's possible they'll release the ordering guide but not disclose a warranty change yet I suppose. But the ordering guide is definitely coming any day now, I'll be shocked if it's not out by the end of May.

'05 E46 330Ci ZHP coupé ..PD99819
      '16 Golf R 6MT/DCC/DAP

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1997 GTI
      05-19-2017 12:58 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by mike356 View Post
      Good luck with that.

If they don't offer the colors, I'll most likely buy something else. I am not a fan of VW's boring ass color offerings. Worse case, I get an S3 although I would much prefer a hatch.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE 4DR 6MT PP DCC LP
      05-19-2017 05:28 AM #14
      I don't know about other countries, but buyers in Germany have a choice of something like 36 colors which sort of says our problem is with VWoA.

I would have no problem at all with paying a couple of $k extra for a color I really like. In fact, some of our "standard" colors are extra cost colors in Germany. WTF? For relatively low production enthusiast cars like the GTI and R, the suits at VW need to realize that the people that buy them aren't the same kind of people that buy appliancemobiles like Crammys and Crapollas.

The other thing VW needs to do is get rid of the packages (the mistake they made for the 2011 MY), and let buyers go back to picking the options and equipment they really want.

Vehicles
      GTI Autobahn, silver, PP, LP, DSG, DCC
      05-19-2017 07:38 AM #15
      The US generally get a choice of shades of black, white, and silver, with that wild dark blue thrown in for the extroverts.

16. 05-24-2017 11:59 AM #16
      Yes, I'm on the fence but not because of the order guide but the price difference. With the current discounts on 2017 models, it's going to be a $3-6k premium for the refreshed MK7.5 as they will be close to msrp. They won't be discounting them as deeply and the best you may get is maybe $500 below invoice but that is only if the dealer accepts the partner program, which they have a right to reject for low inventory vehicles. I'm curious to see what else VW adds to the upcoming models that were not announced. The cost difference will be tough to swallow for mostly cosmetic changes.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

17. 05-24-2017 12:47 PM #17
      Not on the fence here - I'm actually going for a 2017 Wolfsburg Golf and awaiting it to arrive (placed order 6 weeks ago because I'm the only moron in the entire country that wants a 5-speed and what appears to also be the rarest color combo offered (red + beige interior)).

The 2018 updates are cosmetic really for the most part, except maybe for the infotainment system, and the value on the Wolfsburg is just too good to pass up (I would be shocked if the 2018 Golf SE (the closest model) comes in anywhere near the Wolfy's price).

The 2018 halogen headlamps are just...different. OK maybe slightly better looking than 2017, but I plan on dropping in some Ed's replicas anyway.

The 2018 LED tails are sort of nice, but I don't have a major issue with the aesthetics of the 2017 having incandescent tails (other than the turn signal NOT being separate from the brake light, and that problem isn't rectified with the 2018s either so that's a wash). Plus, the LED tails we're getting (at least up through the GTI model - not sure about the e-Golf and R models as I haven't seen US-spec versions of those yet for 2018) are based on modified versions of the EU's regular Golf LED tails which aren't all *that* special looking (and don't have the dynamic turn indicators).

Bigger 8" infotainment in the 2018 Golf SE is nice, but I'm sure the 2018 SE will be a few grand more than the 2017 Wolfsburg and the upgrades just don't seem like they're worth that much.
      Last edited by gti_matt; 05-24-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Vehicles
      16 GTI 6MT SE w/ LP, PP and DCC
      05-24-2017 01:12 PM #18
      If they don't offer the colors, I'll most likely buy something else. I am not a fan of VW's boring ass color offerings. Worse case, I get an S3 although I would much prefer a hatch.

Why not just vinyl wrap the car after delivery?

A good wrap job will run $2k-$3k and will protect the factory paint underneath.

Vehicles
      Present: 16 GTI SE Past: 12 GTI, 99.5 GTI GLX, 95 Golf Sport, 78 Bus…
      05-24-2017 01:49 PM #19
      I think you should start shopping. For VWOA to start offering extensive paint options to a model that is near end of life would be insane and very unlike VWOA.

I don't see VWOA ever offering the paint options that they get in European VWs. We don't buy enough to support that.
      You don't even see the wide variety of color options in the rest of the VW brands.
      To get a custom color Audi or Porsche it's anywhere from $3,900-5,500. Good luck trying to get a GTI owner to fork that over.
      Just one look at the what people are paying thread will tell you that.

20. Yesterday 03:05 AM #20
      The only pieces of the MK7.5 I don't like are the chrome accents in the front and rear bumper, and the loss of the manual parking brake, a $3k discount on a 2017 really doesn't mean much to me personally, especially considering the potential dip you may see in resale down the line. Having said all this, I do like the MK7, I think it looks better, and things like flashing the ECU are solved assuming no changes are being made to the MK7.5... A 2017 Wolfsburg is really a MKIV GTi, for me the deal is going to come down to meeting my numbers to the T or passing and waiting for a MK7.5... The first thing I would do to a 7.5 would be rattle-can the chrome accents matte or gloss black...
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      You must be a professional troll in real life.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      I'm more amused by the scientific formulas people bring up to justify why a BRZ lost to a Megane. Like really? All that college education you paid for and a BRZ is that important to you to go into some asinine explanation about how it's still a good track car?

For advertising information click HERE