VWVortex.com - DPR amp readings using a DVM/Autotester. working on it right now.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 10 of 10

    Thread: DPR amp readings using a DVM/Autotester. working on it right now.

    1. 05-18-2017 06:34 PM #1
      Hello all,
      I'm trying to figure out why I am not getting any amp reading on my DVM (Set to 20amp, probe plugged in mA slot,, 200mA Fused)
      Ground side straight through from DPR (using a female VW harness end) to car harness (female), with a crimped on prongs.

      Hot Side from DPR (I think red/brwn) of the harness open,, (here I connect my pos. red DVM clip.) circuit still open. Load side I think.

      Separate wire with two open ends. One end to the neg. black of the DVM,,,, the other end to pos. of the car's VW harness.


      What am I missing?

      I get no reading. The only way I get a reading is to move the DVM probe from mA back to V-ohms and change the DVM's's settings to Volts.

      Thanks
      Last edited by malcolm123; 05-18-2017 at 06:38 PM.
      75 Scirocco
      86 Scirocco
      87 Golf Gti 16v

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 1st, 2007
      Location
      Not Present.
      Posts
      6,612
      Vehicles
      Newest, 92 GTi half-swap plus
      05-18-2017 09:51 PM #2
      If I remeber correctly, you are looking for 10 milliamps at the DPR with should give you an CO of 10.0 before the cat.

      There is a diagram in the bentley on how to set up a test harness,

      hot lead from DPR plug -> pos on multimeter set to read minimal milliamps -> ground from multimeter to pin on DPR.

      the other side is just a jumper wire to go from the plug to the DPR.

      When I had a CIS-E car, I built a harness out of a spare plug and socket so I could plug it in and hook up the multimer and take a reading and adjust as necessary.
      Working on Shell #4 with 14 donor cars scavenged for parts.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Oregon, USA
      Posts
      736
      Vehicles
      87 GTI 16V
      05-18-2017 10:14 PM #3
      I kinda didn't follow your description. Here is the key -- the DVM simply goes inline on one of the DPR wires. I don't remember which wire I did that with on mine many, many years ago.

    4. 05-19-2017 12:44 AM #4
      I'm pretty sure that's what I have.

      I still getting no reading.

      I'm running ground from DPR to ground on car harness
      Positive from DPR to black (probe) on Digital volt meter.
      Positive red (probe) from DVM to another wire.
      The other end of that wire to the positive side of the car wire harness. smh


      Thanks
      75 Scirocco
      86 Scirocco
      87 Golf Gti 16v

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Oregon, USA
      Posts
      736
      Vehicles
      87 GTI 16V
      05-19-2017 09:21 PM #5
      Sounds right. Just to confirm check the Bentley under Differential Pressure Regulator. See figure 6-19.

      Just to verify the wiring is good, put everything back to normal, and go to CIS-E & CIS-E Motronic Control Unit Inputs and verify the resistance between pins 10 and 12.

      If all else fails, can you try another DVM?

    6. 05-19-2017 09:42 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by kwak View Post
      Sounds right. Just to confirm check the Bentley under Differential Pressure Regulator. See figure 6-19.

      Just to verify the wiring is good, put everything back to normal, and go to CIS-E & CIS-E Motronic Control Unit Inputs and verify the resistance between pins 10 and 12.

      If all else fails, can you try another DVM?

      Based on Bentley, it's just a open line with a DVM in the middle on the side closest to the engine.
      DVM is brand new. It's a Autotester DVM
      Plus I tried my old none at 10a

      The car runs fine,, but I'm just sure it;s rich.

      I get readings when I change the DVM to Dwell, Duty and Volts though. LOL
      I'm going to leave it alone for now.

      Would be nice to know if I'm close to 10 or not on that DPR though.

      LOL
      Thanks
      75 Scirocco
      86 Scirocco
      87 Golf Gti 16v

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Oregon, USA
      Posts
      736
      Vehicles
      87 GTI 16V
      05-20-2017 12:54 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by malcolm123 View Post
      I'm trying to figure out why I am not getting any amp reading on my DVM (Set to 20amp, probe plugged in mA slot,, 200mA Fused)
      Does you DVM have one lead plugin hole for Amps and another for mA? Many meters do. If so your description here might be the problem.

      For example, my 20 year old meter has one lead hole labeled "+DC AMPS ONLY, 2AMP MAX" and another labeled "+DC mA/KOhm, 200 mA MAX". This means the first hole is used for the 2A dial setting and the other hole is used for the 200mA, 20mA, and 2mA dial settings.

      My new cheap Chinese meter is similar. One lead hold is for 10A DC and another for mA (and V and Ohms). And again if the dial is set to 10A the first hole is used, and on any of the mA settings the other hole is used.

      The DPR value is in the mA range. After start could be 90 mA and normal idle could be around 5-10 mA.

      [edit: fixed typo]
      Last edited by kwak; 05-20-2017 at 09:48 PM.

    8. Member folkwain's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2009
      Location
      Halle 54
      Posts
      571
      Vehicles
      85 Scirocco  88 Jetta
      05-20-2017 07:05 PM #8
      Did you confirm fuse is still good on DVM?

    9. 05-22-2017 08:04 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by kwak View Post
      Does you DVM have one lead plugin hole for Amps and another for mA? Many meters do. If so your description here might be the problem.

      For example, my 20 year old meter has one lead hole labeled "+DC AMPS ONLY, 2AMP MAX" and another labeled "+DC mA/KOhm, 200 mA MAX". This means the first hole is used for the 2A dial setting and the other hole is used for the 200mA, 20mA, and 2mA dial settings.

      My new cheap Chinese meter is similar. One lead hold is for 10A DC and another for mA (and V and Ohms). And again if the dial is set to 10A the first hole is used, and on any of the mA settings the other hole is used.

      The DPR value is in the mA range. After start could be 90 mA and normal idle could be around 5-10 mA.

      [edit: fixed typo]
      LOL. Thanks. I just switch cars today. I had to take a rest and ride comfortable for a minute.

      My DVM has 20A 10SEC,, mA (200mA Max Fused),,, and DC/AC Ohm V,, etc..

      It also has Dwell and Tachometer. It's brand new,, but I will see if there is a fuse inside of it.


      Thanks
      75 Scirocco
      86 Scirocco
      87 Golf Gti 16v

    10. 05-22-2017 08:05 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by folkwain View Post
      Did you confirm fuse is still good on DVM?

      about to check it now. IT's new, but this could be the case.

      Thanks
      75 Scirocco
      86 Scirocco
      87 Golf Gti 16v

    For advertising information click HERE

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •