VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R to rs

1. Member
      Vehicles
      too many
      05-18-2017 10:53 PM #1
      flame me
      Last edited by utekineir; 05-24-2017 at 10:04 AM.

2. 05-18-2017 11:05 PM #2
      It's a Ford!! You've been flamed 🔥

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf-R DSG
      05-18-2017 11:29 PM #3
      So long you don't get one with a cracked block and coolant leaks

Just kidding...Do what you want, it's your life and $$$.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      05-18-2017 11:37 PM #4
      I sat in one at a dealer one day, and everything inside is horribly cheap feeling. I also pushed the power seat to move it forward, and the seat makes a squeaking sound while moving forward. Its from the leather bucket seat pushing on the plastic console. It's like they just rammed a big bucket seat in the car and said that'll do. Like others have said. It's your life your money. You only live once

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2016 Acura RDX, 2011 Mustang 5.0 Convertible
      05-18-2017 11:39 PM #5
      I personally prefer the R because its understated and I'm too old to drive a boy racer looking RS. Plus the interior is light years ahead of the Focus in quality. Plus with my R at Stage 1 now, I doubt very seriously the RS would be any faster.
      But you may have totally different interests than me so get what you like. No flame here.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf-R DSG
      05-19-2017 12:10 AM #6
      Another thought is the R (tuned) and RS is pretty closely matched in terms of power and speed. I don't think it's much of an "upgrade" why not go for a new TTRS Now that will be an upgrade

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VII R
      05-19-2017 12:11 AM #7
      If you want the RS get it, it's a great car too, just in different ways. The interior sucks but the seats are way better.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      mk7 r 6 speed
      05-19-2017 01:09 AM #8
      You should post this idea in an RS forum probably. I don't think many of us consider going to an RS an upgrade. I would not do this if given a chance. Unless of course you are yearning for more attention. The RS will give you that for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Rick

9. 05-19-2017 02:47 AM #9
      I thought he wanted to go from a golf R to an Audi RS 3 or any other Audi RS and I was like wow cool. But when I read into it and saw he meant ford RS I stopped. [palm to face]

Real talk, you're in the wrong place to ask. We are all into the R obviously. I could give you many reasons why it's better. You have an R and you already know the good and bad. The best advice I can give you is take the RS for a drive if you can and make your choice based on that.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      too many
      05-19-2017 03:34 AM #10
      A flatbrim would cover my bald head nice.
      Last edited by utekineir; 05-24-2017 at 10:05 AM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      05-19-2017 06:22 AM #11
      I'm among those who would have one if I could afford a fleet of a few dozen cars. But, as an all-rounder, I don't think the R can be beaten.

If you have other cars that'll serve your needs, go for it. But, I'd caution against convincing yourself that it possesses all the virtues of the R with regard to build and daily versatility. My personal experience with hooligan cars is that they're a ton of fun, but they wear on me pretty quickly.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf R Oryx
      05-19-2017 07:22 AM #12
      I kinda feel like you could like the RS better, since you have a few cars and already have the comfort covered in the SS

That said, ive not driven the RS and that's the decider.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
      2015 R - DCC/DSG - APR Stg II (93HO) + TCU tune - APR DP - Miltek Valved Non-Res - Uni IC - AFe Stg2 Intake - RSe10 + PSS
      *SIG REDACTED* (for the delicate eyes of those who cant scroll faster)

13. 05-19-2017 07:37 AM #13
      Drive it and see how you like it, if that's even possible haha. Maybe take a ride in one at the local FoRS / C&C meets.

Do research / assess the following areas tho (if they apply to you):
      - drivers seating position, I love it in the R, but I sat in a FoRS and it felt like a dentist chair, at least to me
      - rear seat room, apparently tighter than the R
      - dealer network and support, some guys that are having problems on the forums and FB groups, Ford is taking months to get their cars back to them
      - PTU leaks, is this still a common issue
      - head gasket / coolant consumption, is this a common issue

Btw how would you compare your SS to the R? In terms of performance, mod-ability?

S

14. Member
      Vehicles
      too many
      05-19-2017 08:07 AM #14
      hello
      Last edited by utekineir; 05-24-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf R Oryx
      05-19-2017 08:08 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
      Given its not a sole vehicle, its something that could be gambled on. And there are bad things I would do to that car.

Any luck with resolving your problem btw?

Tried it yesterday. Golf> focus in terms of the platforms themselves, hatch space, fit and finish, all that win for golf platform 100%. Hell id put a mkv likely ahead of the current focus going just off the hatch and cabin area.

Test drive was limited to a awful stretch that did the car no favors, and thats what i expressed to the salesman and manager after, i want your car less now than when i stepped on the lot because of that route (1-2 gear stop and go and rough) and im offering less because of it.

I liked the seats but they were snug (6"3' 250 ish)
      Rear seat room is ****, but the ss is our guest hauler, our hatches tend to keep the rear seats down.
      Theres a bunch of likely non qualified ford dealers in the area, one thing i read is the 17s seem to be better overall, this was a 17.

Re ss vs r. Both cars are great. Its pretty much a 1a, 1b type situation. Ss handles far better than its size and comfort would give the impression of. I find it to have more persobality than the r, but tweaking the r for some toe out f&r and a louder exhaust has helped significantly

Out of the box both were likely very close to each other, just entirely different approaches. R being drama free and german, the inducable drama of the ss is where its charm lies to me. Ive autoxed and road coursed both more than a couple
      Times.

Modability wise. Its an ls3 with a tremec. Sky is only limited by your willingness to spend. Mine is 100% stock power wise, dont need anything more, i like turns not straight lines.

I prefer the ss, wife prefers our golfs. Neither route is bad at all.
      Kinda playing the waiting game, the parts are there if I get the light again. Might have been a fluke.

2015 R - DCC/DSG - APR Stg II (93HO) + TCU tune - APR DP - Miltek Valved Non-Res - Uni IC - AFe Stg2 Intake - RSe10 + PSS

16. Member
      Vehicles
      too many
      05-19-2017 08:12 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
      Kinda playing the waiting game, the parts are there if I get the light again. Might have been a fluke.

Hopefully all works out

Think im running race tires on the r tomorrow, or replacing the miatas junk wheel bearing on site. Tomorrows group at devens is one of the laid back ones. If you want rides and arent far away feel free to swing through.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf R Oryx
      05-19-2017 08:13 AM #17
      Hopefully all works out

Think im running race tires on the r tomorrow, or replacing the miatas junk wheel bearing on site. Tomorrows group at devens is one of the laid back ones. If you want rides and arent far away feel free to swing through.
      Got some killer weather, unfortunately on a work trip for the weekend.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      05-19-2017 09:27 AM #18
      Focus RS is the more fun car to drive for sure but at the same time that can be tedious some days when you are stuck in traffic and that's where the R shines. I would trade my R for an RS in a heartbeat but I've owned STI's and EVO's in the past and prefer a little more rawness in my cars. The Golf R is a great car but it straddles the line between extremely capable and refined to the point of being a little boring. Do whatever makes you happy.

19. 05-19-2017 11:10 AM #19
      Given its not a sole vehicle, its something that could be gambled on. And there are bad things I would do to that car.

Any luck with resolving your problem btw?

Tried it yesterday. Golf> focus in terms of the platforms themselves, hatch space, fit and finish, all that win for golf platform 100%. Hell id put a mkv likely ahead of the current focus going just off the hatch and cabin area.

Test drive was limited to a awful stretch that did the car no favors, and thats what i expressed to the salesman and manager after, i want your car less now than when i stepped on the lot because of that route (1-2 gear stop and go and rough) and im offering less because of it. The goal of a car dealer is to get you emotionally wrapped up in their car, and then use that to **** you. The only emotion i felt on that route was dissapointment(not the cars fault really, 100% bad judgement by manager).

I liked the seats but they were snug (6"3' 250 ish)
      Rear seat room is ****, but the ss is our guest hauler, our hatches tend to keep the rear seats down.
      Theres a bunch of likely non qualified ford dealers in the area, one thing i read is the 17s seem to be better overall, this was a 17.

Re ss vs r. Both cars are great. Its pretty much a 1a, 1b type situation. Ss handles far better than its size and comfort would give the impression of. I find it to have more persobality than the r, but tweaking the r for some toe out f&r and a louder exhaust has helped significantly

Out of the box both were likely very close to each other, just entirely different approaches. R being drama free and german, the inducable drama of the ss is where its charm lies to me. Ive autoxed and road coursed both more than a couple
      Times.

Modability wise. Its an ls3 with a tremec. Sky is only limited by your willingness to spend. Mine is 100% stock power wise, dont need anything more, i like turns not straight lines.

I prefer the ss, wife prefers our golfs. Neither route is bad at all.
      It's all personal preference. I had an SS, sold it after a year - I thought it was too big and the handling is sluggish. Probably good handling for a car that weight, but not good compared to other lighter options.

I like the R much more than I did the SS. But that doesn't make one better than the other.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Manuel
      05-19-2017 03:38 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
      It's all personal preference. I had an SS, sold it after a year - I thought it was too big and the handling is sluggish. Probably good handling for a car that weight, but not good compared to other lighter options.

I like the R much more than I did the SS. But that doesn't make one better than the other.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      Did it have the 16 and up magnetic ride dampers? I've heard the on center feel is numb in the SS but it pulls .94g on a skid pad which is almost exactly what a stock R does, but the SS has the right pedal and RWD to help with any understeer. I would think you'd feel the weight difference, I went from a 2 door MK7 GTI to a MK7R and definitely could feel the added mass of the awd system, but I don't think they market the SS as anything other than a sports sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21. 05-19-2017 03:43 PM #21
      That you get a new Focus RS at a similar price as a used Golf R tells the story. Good Luck whatever you decide!

22. 05-19-2017 05:36 PM #22
      Haven't visited forum for a while, so thrilled to see someone started a Focus v Golf thread, was fearing that I would not see that. Thanks so much.

Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 1.8T, 2017 VW Golf R MT DCC
      05-19-2017 05:46 PM #23
      As a person who was going to buy RS. It is on of the best drivers car you can get but that is it. The community is very dull compared to the VW community.

Here is my thread started

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...s-RS-or-Golf-R
      2003 GTI 1.8T Nimbus Grey GIAC tuned
      2017 GOLF R Black Magic Pearl UM Tuned

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      05-19-2017 06:37 PM #24
      Like you said, suck as a DD. 95% of the time I spend in my R, I could be driving a regular Golf and it would't change a thing in my life.
      Fun part, the R can be set to run like a base Golf.

The RS is too extreme, and I'm too old.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      too many
      05-19-2017 06:49 PM #25
      hello
      Last edited by utekineir; 05-24-2017 at 10:07 AM.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast