Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vague Shifter Feel

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      05-19-2017 01:15 PM #1
      I'm wondering if I'm the only person experiencing this? I love everything about this MK7 R but I seem to be having a problem finding gears when I'm driving more spiritedly. Anybody else finding this to be the case?

Now don't jump to any conclusions, I've been driving stick shifts for almost 40 years so I DO know how to grab gears, on and off the track, big trucks, little trucks and motorcycles...

2. 05-19-2017 01:18 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Ledfootin View Post
      I'm wondering if I'm the only person experiencing this? I love everything about this MK7 R but I seem to be having a problem finding gears when I'm driving more spiritedly. Anybody else finding this to be the case?

Now don't jump to any conclusions, I've been driving stick shifts for almost 40 years so I DO know how to grab gears, on and off the track, big trucks, little trucks and motorcycles...
      Nope... though everyone's experience is different.

Invest in some nice shifter bushings and it'll get better.

Search and you shall find.

Vehicles
      16 VW Golf R MT /// 12 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      05-19-2017 01:31 PM #3
      Plenty of threads on this subject. Do a search for "short shifter", "shifter bushings", "solid bushings" and you'll have enough reading material to occupy your entire weekend

Vehicles
      03 Jetta WE 6spd APR S3+, '14 JSW DSG, '00 S2000
      05-19-2017 02:01 PM #4

Sold my S2000 to fund my R purchase went from an amazing factory shifter to completely vague one. I over-revved my car at 2k miles by accidentally downshifting into 2nd from the top of 3rd instead of going into 4th gear like i had meant to. I've always had manuals. the $3k bill was hard to swallow after just purchasing the car.

The best thing I did was order an APR short shifter and a shifter bushing kit. I would highly recommend getting a short shifter and looking at what others have done. Shifter feel has improved dramatically between the APR kit and the bushings.

5. 05-19-2017 07:58 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by bad_news View Post
      Sold my S2000 to fund my R purchase went from an amazing factory shifter to completely vague one. I over-revved my car at 2k miles by accidentally downshifting into 2nd from the top of 3rd instead of going into 4th gear like i had meant to. I've always had manuals. the $3k bill was hard to swallow after just purchasing the car.

The best thing I did was order an APR short shifter and a shifter bushing kit. I would highly recommend getting a short shifter and looking at what others have done. Shifter feel has improved dramatically between the APR kit and the bushings.
      I came from an s2000 as well, and the stock shifter left a lot to be desired. Went with the DeiselGeek here. What bushings did you go with? The ones at the shifter fork by the transmission or are there some by the shift lever?

S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R, 2013 Touareg V6 Lux
      05-19-2017 08:19 PM #6
      I did the shifter bushings - torque solutions IIRC -- as well as the bracket. I tried the Diesel Geek it was too notchy and required too much effort for me so I went back to stock.

j
      Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you a gated manual shifter, and that's pretty damn close. --Travis Okulski, Jalopnik

7. 05-19-2017 08:30 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by spjoneSi View Post
      I did the shifter bushings - torque solutions IIRC -- as well as the bracket. I tried the Diesel Geek it was too notchy and required too much effort for me so I went back to stock.

j
      Agree. I spent a lot of time adjusting mine. The notchyness I hear a weighted shift knob helps. Haven't tried that yet though.

S

8. 05-19-2017 08:47 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by gandapanda View Post
      Agree. I spent a lot of time adjusting mine. The notchyness I hear a weighted shift knob helps. Haven't tried that yet though.

S

BFI weighted knob made me happy with the feel.

9. 05-19-2017 11:51 PM #9
      I over-revved my car at 2k miles by accidentally downshifting into 2nd from the top of 3rd instead of going into 4th gear like i had meant to.
      I find 4th is hard to find in spirited driving as well.
      Shifter slides right down into 2nd too easily.

10. 05-20-2017 12:43 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Yellokilo View Post
      The money shift occurs 99% of the time because of the way people hold the shift knob. The success rate of shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th is highly increased by using an OPEN PALM pushing straight up for 3rd and straight back for 4th. Never fully grip the knob doing those shifts. Try it and you'll see for yourself.

Vehicles
      16 VW Golf R MT /// 12 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      05-20-2017 03:22 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by dinh View Post
      The money shift occurs 99% of the time because of the way people hold the shift knob. The success rate of shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th is highly increased by using an OPEN PALM pushing straight up for 3rd and straight back for 4th. Never fully grip the knob doing those shifts. Try it and you'll see for yourself.
      You can still "money shift" during spirited driving. The ONLY way to insure that you won't "money shift" is to grab your shifter with the thumb down.

12. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      05-20-2017 08:14 AM #12
      Now this is interesting, this is exactly what happened to me. I wonder how may more consumers of this product have had this same problem? I see an inherent problem with the design, Is VW hiding a design flaw like their diesels?

13. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      05-20-2017 08:19 AM #13
      Exactly, 4th is a bitch! Spirited driving is what this car is made for so an extra $300-$400 to put aftermarket shifter bushings in a $40k+ car to make the most used gears findable is unacceptable to me.

05-20-2017 08:29 AM #14
      Exactly, 4th is a bitch! Spirited driving is what this car is made for so an extra $300-$400 to put aftermarket shifter bushings in a $40k+ car to make the most used gears findable is unacceptable to me.
      Bushings alone hardly cost this much.
      The entire ECS kit is $219.

Myself went with the Diesel Geek unit.
      Turd: '91 Mazda B2600i Red
      Tobias: '99 A4 2.8 Santorin Blue
      Rolf: '16 Golf R Oryx DCC+NAV, DAP, 6MT, Uni Stg 2, DGS6SS
      Quote Originally Posted by Owner's Manual Golf GTI, Golf R, Model Year 2016
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

15. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      05-20-2017 08:31 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by dinh View Post
      OMG, this isn't a tea cup at a tea part! What, I have to stick my little pinkie out too? Like I said, "Grabbing gears for 40 years on and off the track".

Honestly though, there should be a service bulletin or on this issue something, don't yeah think, I have to put the bushing set into this thing that the factory should have use to make it drive the way it's advertised to? I'm calling BS on VW on this one...

16. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      05-20-2017 08:35 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by S1ack View Post
      This is my point, another $200 to make a $40000 performance based vehicle derivable? That seem right to you? Not to mention the $10,000 for the new engine! Still calling BW on VW.

17. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      05-20-2017 08:48 AM #17
      Sounds like this is a common enough problem that is has it's own name? "The Money Shift"? That's about right! I guess I should have gone with the Subaru and saved myself the extra $10,000.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta WE 6spd APR S3+, '14 JSW DSG, '00 S2000
      05-20-2017 10:12 AM #18
      That's what I found. i've had almost exclusively manuals and even my MKIV didn't do that.

Now this is interesting, this is exactly what happened to me. I wonder how may more consumers of this product have had this same problem? I see an inherent problem with the design, Is VW hiding a design flaw like their diesels?
      I complained on the forums but was met with a lot of 'you don't know how to drive-y' responses. There were 5 that I found in Oct '15 after the car first came out with the M/T in early August.

If you want the manual investing in an aftermarket shifter is the best thing you can possibly do to the car. i had complaints about the shifter during the test drive buut I assumed it was just because I was so used to my s2k shifter. I'd probably just buy this car with a DSG if I could do it over.

19. 05-20-2017 11:17 AM #19
      What bushings help with avoiding this Money Shift? I changed my bracket to the APR Solid Shifter Cable Bracket and was told that I did not need to change bushings???
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-apr-part.../ms100084~apr/
      Last edited by Yellokilo; 05-20-2017 at 01:22 PM.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '16 R MT
      05-20-2017 11:33 AM #20
      What bushings help with avoiding this Money Shift? I changed my bracket to the APR Solid Shifter Cable Bracket and was told that I did not need to chnge busshings???
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-apr-part.../ms100084~apr/
      The bracket doesn't really do anything for shifter feel just for piece of mind. You probably want the shifter cable bushings.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...929ecs0102akt/

In my opinion though the only true way to avoid the "money shift" is to have a true gated shifter. The bushings go a long way to clean up the slop and I highly recommend them.

21. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      05-20-2017 12:48 PM #21
      That's what I found. I've had almost exclusively manuals and even my MKIV didn't do that.

I complained on the forums but was met with a lot of 'you don't know how to drive-y' responses. There were 5 that I found in Oct '15 after the car first came out with the M/T in early August.

If you want the manual investing in an aftermarket shifter is the best thing you can possibly do to the car. i had complaints about the shifter during the test drive but I assumed it was just because I was so used to my s2k shifter. I'd probably just buy this car with a DSG if I could do it over.
      Hey There Bad News. I just found your "Mechanical Over-Rev 2016 Golf R, 6MT" thread. With over 200 posts it'll take me a bit to work my way through it but, pretty much my deal is exactly what happened to you, any insights you can throw my way?

Basically I'll be taking threads like this one to VW Customer Service and bitching at the about the situation. I mean I bought my car at the end of the model year, a problem like this should have gotten to Customer Service or the Warranty Department before this. It's obviously a common enough problem that a Service Bulletin" needs to be released on the cheap butt bushing the factory is using.

I'm not looking for VW to cover the whole cost, obviously I did make the mistake of putting into the wrong gear BUT, It was WAY TOO EASY! And like you said, for VW or anyone else to say I don't know how to drive a stick shift is just insulting.

22. 05-20-2017 01:09 PM #22
      Search, this has been extensively discussed. Here, I did diesel geek, clutch pedal spring removal and CDV orifice removal. It makes things much much better.

23. 05-20-2017 01:17 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by S1ack View Post

Myself went with the Diesel Geek unit.
      What ECS kit? More info please.

24. 05-20-2017 01:18 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Jugnutts View Post
      The bracket doesn't really do anything for shifter feel just for piece of mind. You probably want the shifter cable bushings.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...929ecs0102akt/

In my opinion though the only true way to avoid the "money shift" is to have a true gated shifter. The bushings go a long way to clean up the slop and I highly recommend them.
      Thanks.
      Just put in an order.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R, 2013 Touareg V6 Lux
      05-20-2017 01:27 PM #25
      I forget I even did the BFI knob it feels so natural. Perfect.

j
      Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you a gated manual shifter, and that's pretty damn close. --Travis Okulski, Jalopnik

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast