VWVortex.com - Sway Bar Bracket hits Lower control arm. Recently lowered.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Sway Bar Bracket hits Lower control arm. Recently lowered.

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R (4dr)
      05-19-2017 08:21 PM #1
      Hi, just recently lowered the R. during installation my front sway bar link bracket literally sits on top of my lower control arm. makes some tapping noise.
      not to sure if I can adjust the front sway bar bracket or if the settings are too low on my coilovers. if I raise it more it wouldn't sit on the lca anymore but might hit during hitting a bump.
      Need advice thanks.
      Running cheapy Godspeed mono ss coilovers. reused old front sway bar link. will post a picture if I have some free time.
      Thanks.
      Last edited by BabyEggroll; 05-19-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Vehicles
      2015 Q5 3.0T Stg 2+, 2012 CW Golf R OEM+, 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport, 1969 Transporter
      05-20-2017 04:44 AM #2
      Yon need to replace the end links with shorter/adjustable links. If you don't you'll continue to have the issue. When you lower your car...everything drops and this is one of the issue you run into. Look at Whiteline endlinks, RacingLine, 034 Motorsports....they all have a good quality replacement part that will work

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R (4dr)
      05-20-2017 11:24 AM #3
      my kit did come with adjustable end links but I tried to put them on but they didn't line up with the hub correctly. so having a shorter link will lift up that bracket? I will give them a shot again when I get some time.

Vehicles
      2015 Q5 3.0T Stg 2+, 2012 CW Golf R OEM+, 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport, 1969 Transporter
      05-20-2017 02:27 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by BabyEggroll View Post
      my kit did come with adjustable end links but I tried to put them on but they didn't line up with the hub correctly. so having a shorter link will lift up that bracket? I will give them a shot again when I get some time.
      What do you mean "didn't line up"? Did you need to adjust them so they were slightly longer? Were you trying to install one side while the factory link was on the other? Sorry, your comment doesn't make much sense.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R (4dr)
      05-20-2017 03:36 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by flieger View Post
      What do you mean "didn't line up"? Did you need to adjust them so they were slightly longer? Were you trying to install one side while the factory link was on the other? Sorry, your comment doesn't make much sense.
      come to think of it I did had the factory link on the other side, so that's probably why my axle wouldn't center with the hub and the lower ball joints didn't line up with the 3 bolts.
      so I should install both links at the same time?
      sorry man my first coil over install, so still fresh to this.

Vehicles
      05-20-2017 05:11 PM #6
      So the best thing to do is remove the endlink from both sides. I've always started by removing it from both sides of the bar first and left them attached to the strut. Then replace one per side making sure that they are equal length. When you install them. You do not what to have any preload pressure on the sway bar. Once you have both sides installed and the large nuts are tightened down on the strut and sway bar connections you can then put the wheels back on. I like to have the front end up on ramps for the next part...which is then adjusting the endlinks so there is not any excessive play in the bar...it doesn't take much maybe a turn or two with weight on the suspension. Then you snug down the lock nuts at the top and bottom of the endlinks to lock them into place.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R (4dr)
      05-20-2017 05:21 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by flieger View Post
      So the best thing to do is remove the endlink from both sides. I've always started by removing it from both sides of the bar first and left them attached to the strut. Then replace one per side making sure that they are equal length. When you install them. You do not what to have any preload pressure on the sway bar. Once you have both sides installed and the large nuts are tightened down on the strut and sway bar connections you can then put the wheels back on. I like to have the front end up on ramps for the next part...which is then adjusting the endlinks so there is not any excessive play in the bar...it doesn't take much maybe a turn or two with weight on the suspension. Then you snug down the lock nuts at the top and bottom of the endlinks to lock them into place.
      Thank you thank you. I will take care of that as soon as I get some days off.

For advertising information click HERE