VWVortex.com - Is PEAK Brand Coolant System Flush Okay To Use in a VW?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Is PEAK Brand Coolant System Flush Okay To Use in a VW?

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta GLS
      05-19-2017 08:28 PM #1
      Since I need to open up the coolant system on my 2000 Jetta GLS soon, I figure that I’ll go ahead and flush the system again (I recently replaced the heater core, so I lost most of the Pentofrost SE that I just put in over the winter and I’m running mostly distilled water at the moment). When I was browsing Autohausaz.com, I noticed that they recommend LiquiMoly brand motor flush for my car (http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/2051), but the shipping costs more than the item. Advance Auto Parts doesn’t carry LiquiMoly, but they do have this PEAK brand radiator flush: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...radiator+flush.

When it comes to fluids, I kind of freak out with this car, because everyone always mentions the fact that VWs MUST have certain fluids (G12 coolant, etc), due to the fact that the company uses a lot of synthetic rubber, plastic, and god-only-knows what else. I’ve also gone through two water pumps on her, and I really think that the second time was because the jackass that changed my oil topped the coolant off with non-compatible fluid (despite my express instructions not to). So does anyone know if it’s safe to use this PEAK product in my car? If not, I’ll probably just flush with distilled water again and return the PEAK to Advance.

Thanks.

2. 05-19-2017 09:08 PM #2
      I've used every brand of coolant there is for decades, except G12. No issues to report here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8t 5spd
      05-19-2017 11:04 PM #3
      I don't think PEAK is G12 compliant. It's green, right? The problem with mixing these types of coolant in your engine is that they gel together and can gum up the works. I would flush with distilled water (or even just from a hose if it's just for the flush) and use G12. It's a pain and costs more, but it could cost you way more down the road if you cheap out on the wrong coolant.

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta GLS
      05-20-2017 07:50 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by WilboBaggins View Post
      I don't think PEAK is G12 compliant. It's green, right? The problem with mixing these types of coolant in your engine is that they gel together and can gum up the works. I would flush with distilled water (or even just from a hose if it's just for the flush) and use G12. It's a pain and costs more, but it could cost you way more down the road if you cheap out on the wrong coolant.
      Hey, thanks for the input @WilboBaggins. The product isn’t PEAK’s coolant, it’s a radiator flush (maybe you knew that from my thread, I just wasn’t positive so I thought I’d mention it). Not sure what color the flush might be, as I didn’t break the seal on the bottle (I kind of figured that I might be returning it). I’ve already bought 6 gallons of distilled water, with the idea that I’d use it for both flush and to mix with the Pentofrost SF when I refill (this is how I always do it, in order to make sure that I don’t introduce any minerals from the tap water). I had been hoping that maybe I could put a little something in there to gently scour things inside during the flush (since the car is so old now), but I think you’re right. Without someone specifically telling me that a product is okay to put in a VW, I’m just going to have to keep erring on the side of caution.

Thanks again, Wilbo. Really nice of you to take time out of your day to share your thoughts!

EDIT - PS: If anyone is curious, I found the product info here: https://peakauto.com/wp-content/uplo...-PKF0AE-02.pdf. Apparently, the active ingredients are “Gluconic Acid” and “EDTA Tetrasodium Salt.” No idea what those are, so they’re not going in my Dub.

Also, the LiquiMoly flush product that I mentioned can be found here: http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/2051. I’m probably not going to order it (due to the cost of shipping and time it would take to get here), so I can’t recommend it to anyone as safe. But it could be a starting point if someone wants to look into using it on their VW. Autohaus’ product description seems to indicate that it’s formulated to be safe with all cooling systems. According to LiquiMoly’s website, the active ingredients are “Fatty Alcohol Polyglycol Ether” and “Sulfuric Acids, C14-17-sec-alkane, Sodium Salts.” You can find their spec sheet here: http://www.chemical-check.de/clientv...03-2017_EN.pdf. Might be worth a look, but I’m no chemist, so I can’t say for sure.
      Last edited by filmnoire; 05-20-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Vehicles
      jetta vr6
      05-20-2017 09:07 AM #5
      Two opposing responses so far. Ill just add, some have gone green and have been just fine. Some swear to sticking with g12. Most will agree never to mix them. Chemically the g12 is made to protect all the plastic cooling connectors/lines/fittings. I would like to believe that sticking to g12 actually helps prolong your plastic parts, but i have no proof.

Now to your question, can you use peak coolant flush? I dont see why not as long as you flush it all out with distilled water before you add your coolant (green or g12). Will it help? I dont know, but i dont think it will hurt.

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8t 5spd
      05-20-2017 02:26 PM #6
      Sorry for not reading your initial post better, OP. Didn't realize it was a "flush" product. Thought you meant just to run PEAK as your coolant. Yah I'd say it's fine to use as a flush, and then follow with water. You just don't want to run any non G12 coolant as actual coolant.

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta GLS
      05-20-2017 08:03 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by WilboBaggins View Post
      Sorry for not reading your initial post better, OP. Didn't realize it was a "flush" product. Thought you meant just to run PEAK as your coolant. Yah I'd say it's fine to use as a flush, and then follow with water. You just don't want to run any non G12 coolant as actual coolant.
      Hey no problem, Wilbo! Thanks again for contributing. In case anyone is interested, I ended up returning the PEAK radiator flush in favor of a MAC brand flush which indicated on the label that it’s safe to use in all cooling systems, including those that include plastic and/or aluminum components. It wasn’t enough to make me feel totally safe to put in a V-Dub, but it did make me feel a bit better.

I drained the system (the coolant was super-clean, as I’ve flushed it so many times in the past), refilled with distilled water + the MAC brand flush, ran it for about 20 minutes and drove it around a while, just in case there was anything in there that needed to be shaken loose. I then drained things again and refilled with distilled water, repeating the process about 4 times until the smell of the flush product went away and totally clear water was all that came out. I then refilled it one final time with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Pentofrost SE. She seems to be running great, so I want to say that the MAC stuff was okay to use. If I run into any problems whatsoever, I’ll be sure to report back on this thread for posterity.

Otherwise, thanks a lot to all who contributed on this topic. I really appreciate everyone’s time!

Vehicles
      20AE GTI, 04Golf Wagon, MK2 golf
      Yesterday 09:52 AM #8

For advertising information click HERE