VWVortex.com - Anybody tow a jet ski or have a hidden hitch on their Golf R?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Anybody tow a jet ski or have a hidden hitch on their Golf R?

1. 05-19-2017 11:22 PM #1
      I want to put a hidden hitch on my R to tow my jetski with. I wonder if the R can handle this ok with only 50 lbs of tounge weight. I suspect it will be fine just wondering if anyone else has done this?

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      05-19-2017 11:47 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Lstorm2003 View Post
      I want to put a hidden hitch on my R to tow my jetski with. I wonder if the R can handle this ok with only 50 lbs of tounge weight. I suspect it will be fine just wondering if anyone else has done this?
      It can handle it as people ha e but it can cause warranty issues as it states in the book that it will void your warranty. It's due to the AWD system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 05-20-2017 12:22 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by tonipepperoni77 View Post
      It can handle it as people ha e but it can cause warranty issues as it states in the book that it will void your warranty. It's due to the AWD system

Jesus are you serious?!?!!! VW is out of hand with the warranty cancellations! Does it really say that?!

What is the concern with the all-wheel-drive system? And by the way I assume if I drive reasonably the rear wheels will never be engaged anyway and it will be just like driving a front wheel drive vehicle.

Now obviously I know I'm not going to tow an 8000 pound boat, but I really don't see how towing a 750 pound Jetski puts any more stress on the car than having three big guys as passengers. In fact it's probably less stress because the weight is carried over a separate axle and is not loading up the suspension on the car.

Vehicles
      2016 LSG R 6MT/DCC/NAV
      05-20-2017 12:29 AM #4

The Tiguan has a very similar haldex system and has a tow capacity of 2000#.
      What would disqualify the haldex V from being able to tow?

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013...-20120129.html
      Last edited by lcubed; 05-20-2017 at 12:53 AM.

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      05-20-2017 07:18 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by lcubed View Post
      The Tiguan has a very similar haldex system and has a tow capacity of 2000#.
      What would disqualify the haldex V from being able to tow?

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013...-20120129.html
      Asking the wrong person hahah gotta ask VW engineers on that one. I'm only restating what is says in the manual. As for the haldex reasoning and the rear diff a while back someone asked someone at a VW dealership and that's what they said it's because of.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R DSG DCC Nav
      05-20-2017 07:43 AM #6

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R [now] / 2002 Audi A4 [before]
      05-20-2017 09:27 AM #7
      Asking the wrong person hahah gotta ask VW engineers on that one. I'm only restating what is says in the manual. As for the haldex reasoning and the rear diff a while back someone asked someone at a VW dealership and that's what they said it's because of.

It is not as much as engineers as lawyers. The Golf is more than capable of towing, especially the R.
      AWD is not impacted at all. It is the suspension and transmission that takes the toll.
      I have hitch on my R and for now I use it as bumper guard (works well!) and must say that design is sturdy.

As for suspension, imagine putting 200lb person on the edge of the hatch.
      For transmission, now pull 2000 lb which is quite more than fully loaded R (pretty much double).
      Manual would be fine as driver can adapt shift points, DSG may be a bit more complicated (there is reason why tow packages include transmission coolers)

I would tow with R, but at lower highway speeds and conservative while hill climbing (actually would avoid those)

So you have to be mindful of that.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf R Oryx
      05-20-2017 09:47 AM #8
      The reason cars don't have towing ratings in the us is because they have everyone fooled into thinking they need a truck or SUV to tow ANYTHING.

Look for European tow ratings for cars, almost any car can tow 1000lbs safely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
      2015 R - DCC/DSG - APR Stg II (93HO) + TCU tune - APR DP - Miltek Valved Non-Res - Uni IC - AFe Stg2 Intake - RSe10 + PSS
      *SIG REDACTED* (for the delicate eyes of those who cant scroll faster)

9. 05-20-2017 11:25 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
      The reason cars don't have towing ratings in the us is because they have everyone fooled into thinking they need a truck or SUV to tow ANYTHING.

^^THIS

I know just about any car could tow my 750lb jet ski. Its heavy enough that you'll feel it. But not heavy enough that the car can't handle it.

10. 05-20-2017 11:27 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Tomek985 View Post
      It is not as much as engineers as lawyers. The Golf is more than capable of towing, especially the R.
      AWD is not impacted at all. It is the suspension and transmission that takes the toll.
      I have hitch on my R and for now I use it as bumper guard (works well!) and must say that design is sturdy.

As for suspension, imagine putting 200lb person on the edge of the hatch.
      For transmission, now pull 2000 lb which is quite more than fully loaded R (pretty much double).
      Manual would be fine as driver can adapt shift points, DSG may be a bit more complicated (there is reason why tow packages include transmission coolers)

I would tow with R, but at lower highway speeds and conservative while hill climbing (actually would avoid those)

So you have to be mindful of that.
      The tounge weight of my trailer is only about 50lbs. (So equivalent of having some grocieries in the hatch).

My trailer only weighs about 750lbs (equivalent of having 4 adults in the car).

Vehicles
      2016 LSG R 6MT/DCC/NAV
      05-20-2017 11:30 AM #11
      As for the haldex reasoning and the rear diff a while back someone asked someone at a VW dealership and that's what they said it's because of.

That wouldn't the first time a stealership has made a false statement

Feiw, the euro golf with 4motion is rated at 2200#, so the haldex V is not the limiting factor
      Last edited by lcubed; 05-20-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      05-20-2017 11:31 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by lcubed View Post
      That wouldn't the first time a stealership has made a false statement
      It's not a false statement hahah. I never said the car couldn't tow. Any car can tow. It's just a matter if whether it's good or not that's all. Plenty people on here have done it work no issues so I'm not saying is bad either way

Last edited by tonipepperoni77; 05-20-2017 at 11:34 AM.

13. 05-20-2017 12:07 PM #13
      I love this Haldex video and the huge trailer they use to show off the benefits of our Haldex system, go to 1:50 in the video.

https://youtu.be/Huubh3xk9Vw
      -Chad H.

'16 Lapiz Blue Golf R w/DCC, Nav, DAP

Vehicles
      05-21-2017 11:33 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Lstorm2003 View Post
      The tounge weight of my trailer is only about 50lbs. (So equivalent of having some grocieries in the hatch).

My trailer only weighs about 750lbs (equivalent of having 4 adults in the car).
      I used max numbers as rated by Class 1 hitch which I have. My trailer is double your weight and handled well in poor old Audi. I didn't try with R yet, as I am too lazy to figure out the lights.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW GolF R, 2004 Audi allroad 4.2
      05-22-2017 10:21 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
      The reason cars don't have towing ratings in the US is because they have everyone fooled into thinking they need a truck or SUV to tow ANYTHING.

It's not that simple, read this for more:
      http://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me...611/1609771499

But I do agree almost any car could tow 1000lb trailer without issue.

I have the Torklift Ecohitch on my R, it is as hidden as you will find and solid. I only use it for a bike rack though.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf R Oryx
      05-22-2017 10:32 AM #16
      I guess I will say this, do not under any circumstances tow anything if you don't have experience setting up trailers and towing. And as the article says, do not ever speed while towing.

A properly tongued trailer and an experienced driver can definitely tow to European standards.

2015 R - DCC/DSG - APR Stg II (93HO) + TCU tune - APR DP - Miltek Valved Non-Res - Uni IC - AFe Stg2 Intake - RSe10 + PSS
      *SIG REDACTED* (for the delicate eyes of those who cant scroll faster)

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf R
      05-22-2017 10:35 AM #17
      Our previous 2009 Jetta Sportwagen had a hidden hitch. Class I, rated to tow 1,000lbs max. I used it a few times to tow my motorcycle. I rented a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul, which was supposedly 500lbs. Add to that my bike (550lbs), and I was right up there at the limit.

Later I found out that what U-Haul rented me wasn't what I reserved. Instead of the motorcycle trailer, they rented me a full 5x9 foot trailer with a ramp. It looks the same as their motorcycle trailer, so I never bothered to double-check. My mistake I suppose. Turns out, their 5x9 foot trailer with a ramp is a whopping 1300lbs. Add to that the bike and I was towing double the limit.

In retrospect, I'm lucky nothing went wrong, as I had two of my kids in the car.

Golf R is a sports car for all intents and purposes. I just wouldn't tow anything with it, personally.

APR Stage 2 ECU (HO, 93), APR TCU Tune, APR Intake, APR Downpipe, APR Intercooler, Milltek exhaust, ED Springs, Euro LED Tails

Vehicles
      Yesterday 08:21 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by gordonf238 View Post
      Our previous 2009 Jetta Sportwagen had a hidden hitch. Class I, rated to tow 1,000lbs max. I used it a few times to tow my motorcycle. I rented a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul, which was supposedly 500lbs. Add to that my bike (550lbs), and I was right up there at the limit.

Later I found out that what U-Haul rented me wasn't what I reserved. Instead of the motorcycle trailer, they rented me a full 5x9 foot trailer with a ramp. It looks the same as their motorcycle trailer, so I never bothered to double-check. My mistake I suppose. Turns out, their 5x9 foot trailer with a ramp is a whopping 1300lbs. Add to that the bike and I was towing double the limit.

In retrospect, I'm lucky nothing went wrong, as I had two of my kids in the car.

Golf R is a sports car for all intents and purposes. I just wouldn't tow anything with it, personally.
      Class 1 is rated at 2,000 lb, so you didn't exceed the limit but you were getting very close to it

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf R
      Yesterday 09:17 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Tomek985 View Post
      Class 1 is rated at 2,000 lb, so you didn't exceed the limit but you were getting very close to it
      That's true, as long as the hitch is attached to a solid frame of the body. The hidden hitch for our Jetta was not. Half the bolts were simply attached to the underside of the trunk with large washers. It's an aftermarket hitch reverse-engineered to make use of whatever is available underneath Jetta's trunk. I'm surprised it towed the kind of weight it did!

APR Stage 2 ECU (HO, 93), APR TCU Tune, APR Intake, APR Downpipe, APR Intercooler, Milltek exhaust, ED Springs, Euro LED Tails

For advertising information click HERE