VWVortex.com - Went in to buy an Abarth and ended up in this TCL darling...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Went in to buy an Abarth and ended up in this TCL darling...

1. I love The Backstreet Boys. Holla! leitloaf's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '16 GTI
      06-04-2017 03:34 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      *wrong thread*
      I do that a lot

2. Member
      Vehicles
      6Sp: '07 Volvo V70R, '16 BMW 340ix
      06-04-2017 05:34 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post
      I can understand the 750, but I wouldn't toss the Viper in there. I made 10k on my first viper, and sold my 2nd viper for more than I paid after 20k miles and 3 years of ownership. My current Viper is already worth more than I paid. If you buy these cars smart you will at least retain what you have in them.
      I'm no stranger to the BMW depreciation curve. Really like how you've made the 750 pop with some tasteful mods though.

Wont have to worry about this as the car was totaled (presumably) yesterday. Some student didn't yield to lia (cross traffic) while pulling out of a mall. She t-boned him, bags deployed, looks like frame damage. The good thing is that no parties were injured, she gave me quite a scare. Couldn't really care less about the car, it'll be replaced. Just glad she wasn't hurt.
      Better luck with the replacement of the replacement!

3. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-04-2017 05:34 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      The 1st gen/NA Miata was designed for full frontal crashes like this one.
      Offset crashes, side crashes..those would be bad as the crash standards for all cars in 1989 were not there yet.
      I'd say a 1st gen/NA Miata fairs better in a full frontal crash than a typical 1990 subcompact car, even without a functioning airbag as most cars lacked airbags in 1990.
      Nevertheless it wouldn't perform as well as the new one, which was my point. There's a big difference between "good for its day" and what's considered good today. I wouldn't be scared to drive one, but it's simply not going to hold up as well as a newer car with high strength steel, castings, glues and whatnot.

Op- I'm glad she is ok.
      Hopefully the kid has insurance....
      And this is something we already agree on.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      328D / TDI / LWB
      06-04-2017 07:19 PM #79
      Congrats on the new car. The Miata has really grown on me. Good on her for embracing the manual, she's a rare breed.
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Great, a Chevy Lumina thread. Now I'm going to have an erection lasting more than four hours.
      #FREEPATRICKMAN

5. I love The Backstreet Boys. Holla! leitloaf's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '16 GTI
      06-04-2017 07:36 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      Congrats on the new car. The Miata has really grown on me. Good on her for embracing the manual, she's a rare breed.
      QFT. I've tried to teach my wife but she refuses. I got my ex to try in my former corrado and she did alright but wouldn't drive it on the street. Only in empty parking lots.

I and really digging the new Miata with the semi hard top deal.

Vehicles
      8 Speed 3 Row FCA x 2
      06-05-2017 10:17 AM #81
      Wow - sorry to hear about the crash.

ad she's okay. As always that's the most important thing; sheet metal can be replaced.

Staying tuned to what you folks decide to do next...
      Family Garage:
      2016 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD - mine
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - for the kids to learn on and drive
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette <-- Father in Law's classic. We're just the caretaker/owners

7. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Explorer 04 Forester 97 M3/4/5 91 318iC
      06-05-2017 10:43 AM #82
      Perhaps a sign you should have gone with the Vette.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 2008 Mazda3 GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      06-05-2017 10:52 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post

We really liked the GT. I will say with the discounts (around 6k off sticker), you'd be hard pressed to buy a car that offers more for the money. Great power, comfort, tech, etc. She complained about the gas mileage, the cars dynamics (too heavy, body control was poor overall even on lowered suspension), and didn't enjoy seeing herself 20 times each way to work and back. My number 1 gripe with the car is the garbage MT82 transmission. Its trash, period. It synchonizes slowly, and always feels dainty (its hard to explain), and the shifter is vague and sloppy. It really lets down the wonderful coyote motor.
      FWIW (speaking as someone who's owned his for more than a couple years), the MT82 is fixed with installing a <$100 shift bracket and time. After that, it is smooth as glass and much easier to drive than a lot of cars. In fact, when we test drove the ND, the shifter was almost as notchy as mine was when I first picked it up. The major issues they were having with the MT82 were overblown as well. The transmission doesn't let down the Coyote, the artificial rev hang does.

That said, the ND's transmission is vastly superior in almost every way.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      06-05-2017 11:04 AM #84
      The last page has been weird.
      Some commenting on the crash and others about the initial post on page one.
      Maybe add a note to the Original Post to see post #whatever about crash and she is ok?

It's like when family leave a FB page up as a memorial to a departed, and people keep posting happy birthday wishes on the wall every year because FB sends birthday reminders.
      Did they ever fix that?
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

06-05-2017 11:12 AM #85
      It's like when family leave a FB page up as a memorial to a departed, and people keep posting happy birthday wishes on the wall every year because FB sends birthday reminders.
      Did they ever fix that?
      Are you sure they're doing that not knowing the person has passed? I see a lot of people doing that just as a way of remembrance.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      '16 sti
      06-05-2017 11:15 AM #86
      So I guess congrats on the purchase, and sorry to hear about the crash
      I will say that your GT build thread REALLY had me looking at mustangs last year.
      Whoever buys that trade in will get a well sorted vehicle.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      06-05-2017 11:58 AM #87
      Oof! Glad she's alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Leitloaf View Post
      QFT. I've tried to teach my wife but she refuses. I got my ex to try in my former corrado and she did alright but wouldn't drive it on the street. Only in empty parking lots.
      I taught my wife but I pretty much made her learn after we got the STI (our first manual car together) so she could drive it in an emergency. She actually picked it up fairly quickly but she just doesn't like it.
      iain

13. I love The Backstreet Boys. Holla! leitloaf's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '16 GTI
      06-05-2017 12:56 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Oof! Glad she's alright.

I taught my wife but I pretty much made her learn after we got the STI (our first manual car together) so she could drive it in an emergency. She actually picked it up fairly quickly but she just doesn't like it.
      I've been trying that angle but since I sold the Fiesta it has become a non-issue again. BTW your avatar is the tits.

Vehicles
      |17 4Mo 6MT Sportwagen S|84 911|90 Jetta|86 Jetta|63 356|13 500|97 Passat|86 GLI|90 C1500|17 GROM|
      06-05-2017 03:02 PM #89

I had similar results with my wife. Couldn't care less about driving a manual, but picked it up very quickly.

Slowhatch, glad the SO is OK. pics of CARnage?

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      06-05-2017 04:10 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by Leitloaf View Post
      BTW your avatar is the tits.
      I know. I f****** love it. Sometimes I just sit and stare at it. I want to pick up that cat.
      iain

16. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-05-2017 04:16 PM #91
      I know. I f****** love it. Sometimes I just sit and stare at it. I want to pick up that cat.
      Rocket cat goes to orbit! I specifically showed that to my kids. They love it too!

My avatar disappeared completely. I went into my 'edit profile' page and saw one that was a steam locomotive line drawing gif of some sort, but as far as I know it didn't work. Did anyone else see it? I couldn't see it on my iPad or at work on my Mac. I don't think I ever looked from a Windows machine.

Vehicles
      1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata
      06-05-2017 04:32 PM #92
      Noooooooo!!

I was just reading through the thread and was about to congratulate you on the purchase that made me most excited out of all of your threads

Glad everyone is ok! I too am eagerly awaiting you coming in here and saying that you've already bought another Miata!

Best wishes and I hope everything gets sorted out
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

Vehicles
      B6 A4 Avant
      06-05-2017 04:34 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      My avatar disappeared completely. I went into my 'edit profile' page and saw one that was a steam locomotive line drawing gif of some sort, but as far as I know it didn't work. Did anyone else see it? I couldn't see it on my iPad or at work on my Mac. I don't think I ever looked from a Windows machine.

I do recall seeing that avatar. figured you just got tired of it haha

19. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-05-2017 04:38 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by fR3ZNO View Post
      I do recall seeing that avatar. figured you just got tired of it haha
      Weird, huh? C'est la vie.

20. Angry Turtle Administrator nater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2008 3.6L Passat 4Mo, 98 O2M 3.0L VRT, '04 .:R32, 2010 Routan
      06-05-2017 05:51 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      C'est la vie.
      Say what?

Vehicles
      '17 Scat Pack Manuel / '01 Camaro SS Manuel
      06-05-2017 06:06 PM #96
      Don't even know how to do a custom avatar like half the people. Only gives me the option to pick from the list. Maybe I am just too new of a member.

OP, hope you get things sorted and into a new car. Did she like it enough to get another one after a week with it? Maybe if you go back to the dealer and explain that she loved the car, if she did, but would like a slightly quieter cabin, they may give you a good deal since you would effectively be taking 2 cars off their lot in 2 weeks. That usually helps them look good on their monthly quota reports.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU
      06-05-2017 06:33 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      Don't even know how to do a custom avatar like half the people. Only gives me the option to pick from the list. Maybe I am just too new of a member.

OP, hope you get things sorted and into a new car. Did she like it enough to get another one after a week with it? Maybe if you go back to the dealer and explain that she loved the car, if she did, but would like a slightly quieter cabin, they may give you a good deal since you would effectively be taking 2 cars off their lot in 2 weeks. That usually helps them look good on their monthly quota reports.

Too new of a member, you've been here 16 years . Admins only can change them. Do you think I actually picked this thing?
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

23. I love The Backstreet Boys. Holla! leitloaf's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '16 GTI
      06-05-2017 07:08 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Too new of a member, you've been here 16 years . Admins only can change them. Do you think I actually picked this thing?
      It's an OT thing

Vehicles
      '13 BMW 750i, '15 Stingray C7 Z51, '13 Viper GTS
      06-05-2017 11:35 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Rugrat Anklebiter View Post
      Glad to hear everyone was OK! Now for the morale of this thread. Does OP buy another Miata? This will be the telling tale of Miata IS everything you've ever wanted in a sports car or NOT really. And if NOT really, was any of your reasoning based on safety concerns?
      Good point. We've been talking about it, and if we do buy another one (which is a high probability), we will swing for the RF this time. I think that's what she really wanted (where's I love convertibles).

Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      Perhaps a sign you should have gone with the Vette.
      You may be on to something...

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      FWIW (speaking as someone who's owned his for more than a couple years), the MT82 is fixed with installing a <$100 shift bracket and time. After that, it is smooth as glass and much easier to drive than a lot of cars. In fact, when we test drove the ND, the shifter was almost as notchy as mine was when I first picked it up. The major issues they were having with the MT82 were overblown as well. The transmission doesn't let down the Coyote, the artificial rev hang does.

That said, the ND's transmission is vastly superior in almost every way.
      Your dead on about the newbie rev hang between shifts, makes skipping gears so annoying. That being said, getting out of the mustang and into the viper (tr6060) back to back, just illuminates all the MT82s faults for me.

Quote Originally Posted by _FLASH_ View Post
      So I guess congrats on the purchase, and sorry to hear about the crash
      I will say that your GT build thread REALLY had me looking at mustangs last year.
      Whoever buys that trade in will get a well sorted vehicle.
      If you buy one, buy the spacers we had on it, they are collecting dust

Quote Originally Posted by DubNMiatafan View Post
      Noooooooo!!

I was just reading through the thread and was about to congratulate you on the purchase that made me most excited out of all of your threads

Glad everyone is ok! I too am eagerly awaiting you coming in here and saying that you've already bought another Miata!

Best wishes and I hope everything gets sorted out
      We just waiting on word from the adjuster as to whether its totaled, or its coming back. Then we'll decide how to proceed.

We don't want the car back, I dont think anyone would if it got wrecked to within an inch of its life 500 miles into ownership.

Vehicles
      '13 BMW 750i, '15 Stingray C7 Z51, '13 Viper GTS
      06-05-2017 11:38 PM #100
      Oh and...

For advertising information click HERE

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast