Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: After 18 years on the Vortex, I finally buy a 'darling.'

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '05 4Runner - '10 Prius
      06-14-2017 06:40 PM #1
      After my winter of near-death and subsequent massive weight loss, we decided to do something a little crazy (for us) and splurge on a fun car. Life is short. Wife wanted a Mustang convertible but everything I found in our modest budget was either a V6/Auto or totally ragged out, or both.

Then I thought... $3500 is good Miata Money. I've loved Miatas since they came out, I remember ogling the first one I ever saw when they were released, parked outside the local grocery store the summer after I graduated HS (1989). But alas, I was poor, and fat and it wasn't something I could do back then. Then I "forgot" about them for a long time. I stuck with practical cars and then we had the boy, and dogs, and having a 3rd car was a luxury we didn't really need.

But life changes quickly, on you. You get older, you save a few bucks, you make space in your life for something fun and impractical, and voila! Miata.

So I went looking. Rural Vermont isn't exactly ripe with roadsters. Most of the ones I found were in Mass or NY and I was leery of driving hours each way just to look. There was 1 local one for sale and it turns out it's the cousin of friend selling it. I did a little research and ran it by the guys in the "You Need A Miata" thread and went to take a look.

It's a 1994 1.8 with 91k Miles... and it's awesome!

It was in even nicer condition then I expected. The interior is in GREAT shape aside from a few screw holes in the center stack. The rear window is trashed (cracked when he opened in in the cold) but the rest of the top is perfect inside and out. I love the color (red). AC, Heat, CD/Radio/Cassette, everything works as it should.

It's had one accident, low speed where another car pushed into the driver's doorskin. The repair is excellent, it got a whole new door and rear 3/4 skin, the paint match is excellent. I pulled the trunk carpet and it all looks great.

The owner has had it in his family since it had 30k miles on it (it's got 90k now) and he's taken good car of it. New egr, throttle pos sensor, cam angle sensor gasket, plugs, wires, fuel pump and filter. It needs the old O2 sensor burned out but I've got the new one already to put in. I have a great local indy exhaust shop that will take care of that no problem.

I'll need to start doing some maintenance due to age but it's really good to go. I figure I'll drive it this summer then work on it in the garage after the snow flies.

My son is getting is driver's permit in December and we really want him to learn how to drive a stick, this is our 'excuse' for the 3rd car. It won't be "his" car by any means, but it's a cool car to have access to, that's for sure. Eighteen year old me is already jealous.

I mentioned my weight loss before, it's dramatic, and so is how beautifully I fit in this car. My son is near 6' tall already (age 14!) and he fits great as well. Side by side on our test drive we both had plenty of room and were grinning ear to ear. He's never really been into cars like I was at his age but he's SO pumped about this one, this will be a project we can work on together. He's been peppering me with non-stop questions about driving a stick all afternoon.

Needs a good coat of wax, the bumpers are a bit flat/faded, but the rest of the paint is in fine shape save for a few bumps and scratches. It's a perfect driver's car for around here with all our dirt roads. Pristine would be nice but I'd rather save the money, frankly.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-14-2017 06:46 PM #2
      Congrats! Have fun with this - and even better, have fun sharing it with your son. This is a great chance to tinker and drive together.

Vehicles
      2016 Honda HR-V
      06-14-2017 06:52 PM #3
      Congrats on the car (and weight loss too)!

Vehicles
      '04 GTI 1.8T, '99 Passat Wagen 1.8T, 95 Z71 5.7 No T
      06-14-2017 06:59 PM #4
      Congrats. A lot of action on that road in the first pic.
      Alex, short for Alex.

5. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '17 A3 E-Tron, '17 JKUR, '96 VRT Cabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      06-14-2017 07:02 PM #5
      Yay on all accounts Sporin! I am glad to see things getting back on track for you guys.. that nice Miata is just icing on the cake.

06-14-2017 07:11 PM #6
      Congrats

Just take care in the rain. I looped it while making a left turn at a intersection. Ooops. And a set of snow tires transforms the car in the snow. Once I tried to back out of my driveway with 2"-3" inches of snow on Dunlop summer tires and I barely made it out. That should've been a sign b/c continued to drive to work. But after a mile or so I turned back b/c the car wouldn't travel in a straight line.

Vehicles
      06-14-2017 07:19 PM #7
      Thanks everyone, we haven't been this excited about a car purchase in ... well.. ever.

I plan to let it hibernate in the garage in the winter unless we have some exceptional weather and clear roads.

8. A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      06-14-2017 07:22 PM #8
      Congrats Sporin! I love a lot of fantastic father son memories in roadsters, so it's great to see the tradition is still alive.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Vehicles
      '94 Laguna Blue Miata, '16 GTI, '16 CX-5 GT
      06-14-2017 07:44 PM #9
      Enjoy! I just did the same thing! Been on here for years and finally got my first Miata.

Also a 94 1.8. Mine needs paint but I've never had so much fun just driving around. It's a blast!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      06-14-2017 08:06 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by VTECeateR View Post
      Enjoy! I just did the same thing! Been on here for years and finally got my first Miata.

Also a 94 1.8. Mine needs paint but I've never had so much fun just driving around. It's a blast!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      Love that color! Mien has the limited slip, which seems like a good thing. Also a real roll bar from Moss Motors (at least that's where the seller thinks it's from, his dad put it in many, many years ago when he owned it).

Vehicles
      06-14-2017 08:11 PM #11
      My son has been outside my window talking to his buddy about the car for about 45 minutes. This was a kid who was totally cool with driving the Prius 24 hours ago, he may never be the same.

Vehicles
      2011 Fiesta SES HB, 2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 1996 GTI hoopty
      06-14-2017 08:19 PM #12
      Congrats, and good for you guys! This is the start of making some fantastic memories.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex
      I'm not grouping everyone together - I would have said everyone in this forum is a moron.

Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      06-14-2017 08:30 PM #13

Little known fact because I don't think I've ever brought it up...the wife & I had a '96 for a couple years. It was a fun little car. I felt like Grape Ape driving around in it with the top up though. One of my buddies used to pick at me about it singing "Big guy in a little car".
      Muh cahs: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      Mine was white, and I sprayed on the BRG with a rattle can. "Instant Lotus Cortina!"
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ighlight=lotus

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda 3 GT 6-speed
      06-14-2017 08:32 PM #14
      $3500 extremely well spent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06-14-2017 08:34 PM #15
      Nice although I do wonder if these short lived twins are beginning to skyrocket in value now?
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Vehicles
      '17 STI Limited, Ross Edition
      06-14-2017 08:36 PM #16
      Well done! Great car!

Although I do not, for the life of me, know where you guys get these smoking deals on Miatas.

It could be that I am on the West Coast in convertible country, but that car would be $6k-7k from a private seller here. Dealer would ask $9k.

The only $3k Miatas on craigslist out here are all 180k miles/auto/clapped out/etc.

I occasionally get motivation to pick up a cheapie NA or NB, and then I check craigslist for a few weeks and I get discouraged.

17. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-14-2017 08:50 PM #17
      All right Sporin!! I'm glad you got one and yeah, I'm a bit jealous.

The fact that your son loves it (I'm sure he didn't have long conversations with his friends about the Prius!) is just icing on the cake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      06-14-2017 08:50 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by andlf View Post

Little known fact because I don't think I've ever brought it up...the wife & I had a '96 for a couple years. It was a fun little car. I felt like Grape Ape driving around in it with the top up though. One of my buddies used to pick at me about it singing "Big guy in a little car".
      Believe me, this was a no-go when I was 4 bills. I'm so excited about how well I fit in it now, it's not even "tight" and my son and I both had plenty of room between our shoulders (I expected us to be should to shoulder, we are not). Plenty of leg room too. I'm near 6' tall but it's more torso then legs. Good headroom with the top up for both of us. Our heads are below the windshield top so I don't look like this either...

Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      Well done! Great car!

Although I do not, for the life of me, know where you guys get these smoking deals on Miatas.

It could be that I am on the West Coast in convertible country, but that car would be $6k-7k from a private seller here. Dealer would ask $9k.

The only $3k Miatas on craigslist out here are all 180k miles/auto/clapped out/etc.

I occasionally get motivation to pick up a cheapie NA or NB, and then I check craigslist for a few weeks and I get discouraged.
      Yeah, I felt like this was a really good deal for my area. Most everything else was states away and around $5000. To find one this clean in the next town over for $3500 was super lucky.

Vehicles
      06-14-2017 08:59 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      All right Sporin!! I'm glad you got one and yeah, I'm a bit jealous.

The fact that your son loves it (I'm sure he didn't have long conversations with his friends about the Prius!) is just icing on the cake.
      I'm still in shock that the "CFO" gave me the go ahead, she's soooooo frugal. But I think she genuinely wants me to have something happy-fun after this winter. She's going to look hot in it as well. 😍

20. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-14-2017 09:08 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I'm still in shock that the "CFO" gave me the go ahead, she's soooooo frugal. But I think she genuinely wants me to have something happy-fun after this winter. She's going to look hot in it as well. 😍

Most of the time I wish mine were more frugal!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      06-14-2017 09:12 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Believe me, this was a no-go when I was 4 bills. I'm so excited about how well I fit in it now, it's not even "tight" and my son and I both had plenty of room between our shoulders (I expected us to be should to shoulder, we are not). Plenty of leg room too. I'm near 6' tall but it's more torso then legs. Good headroom with the top up for both of us. Our heads are below the windshield top so I don't look like this either...

Congrats on that too! yep, that pic is a nice facsimile of me in mine! it was a dark green too.
      Muh cahs: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      Mine was white, and I sprayed on the BRG with a rattle can. "Instant Lotus Cortina!"
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ighlight=lotus

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      06-14-2017 09:16 PM #22
      Congrats!!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

23. Member
      Vehicles
      6Sp: '07 Volvo V70R, '16 BMW 340ix
      06-14-2017 09:24 PM #23
      Weight loss and Miata are the perfect marriage (going from a Prius to Miata too)!

Inspiring ...

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-14-2017 09:31 PM #24
      Congrats---sounds like after your ordeal over the winter, you deserve some automotive fun! And you look great in the car, so I hope you and your son enjoy it for many years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      99 Passat, 07 SX4, 13 Q5, 96 Silverado, 03 Saab 9-5
      06-14-2017 09:35 PM #25
      Good stuff Sporin!
      Haunted Car Stories MEGA THREAD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperMonkeys
      I'm not entirely comfortable with this blood-soaked celery, but I'll eat it anyway. Of all the evidence I've eaten though, I like KNIFE.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast