VWVortex.com - Low Income Neighborhood VW Charging Stations
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 189

    Thread: Low Income Neighborhood VW Charging Stations

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2002
      Location
      Virginia Beach
      Posts
      444
      Vehicles
      2011 Nissan Versa 2017 Honda Accord EX-L
      06-16-2017 05:43 PM #1
      I just read that California is going to insist that some of the VW charging stations be placed in low income neighborhoods....where undoubtedly no one can afford an electric car. This is so VW won't gain any kind of economic advantage with these forced stations...The insanity of politics....

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2012
      Location
      DFW
      Posts
      1,642
      Vehicles
      Current: '96 Honda Civic CX; Former: '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '12 Golf TDI (sold to VW)
      06-16-2017 05:44 PM #2
      God forbid if the state tries to put the interests of everyone living there, instead of just the rich

    3. Member worth_fixing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Montreal, Qc
      Posts
      5,330
      Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      06-16-2017 05:53 PM #3
      I don't get it.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

    4. Member NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2013
      Location
      Below the glide path to KAUS
      Posts
      7,716
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-16-2017 05:55 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Merckx View Post
      I just read that California is going to insist that some of the VW charging stations be placed in low income neighborhoods....where undoubtedly no one can afford an electric car. This is so VW won't gain any kind of economic advantage with these forced stations...The insanity of politics....
      How much copper wire is in one of these chargers?
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

    5. Member G0to60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2003
      Location
      Milwaukie, OR
      Posts
      6,525
      Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad, 2015 Fiat 500e
      06-16-2017 05:58 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Merckx View Post
      ....where undoubtedly no one can afford an electric car.....
      I wouldn't say that. Used EV's are getting to be some of the cheapest cars out there, especially in CA. There were some low mile Fiat 500e's for $5-6,000. There are first gen Leaf's for less than that as well.

    6. Member rich!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 1999
      Location
      SoFLA
      Posts
      9,586
      Vehicles
      '12 Touareg TDI, '14 CC
      06-16-2017 05:58 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Merckx View Post
      I just read that California is going to insist that some of the VW charging stations be placed in low income neighborhoods....where undoubtedly no one can afford an electric car. This is so VW won't gain any kind of economic advantage with these forced stations...The insanity of politics....
      1) article would help
      http://www.businessinsider.com/more-...kswagen-2017-6

      2) don't cast such a wide net
      FireVortex (sorry, no more)... bunch of VWs.
      I came back for #Dieselgate

    7. Member Carson Fiber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2015
      Location
      The hell hole of Chicago
      Posts
      1,989
      06-16-2017 05:59 PM #7
      Around here in Chicago, even if I need gas badly, I'm going to skip filling my car up at some of the more notorious hoods.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

    8. Member NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2013
      Location
      Below the glide path to KAUS
      Posts
      7,716
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-16-2017 06:01 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Around here in Chicago, even if I need gas badly, I'm going to skip filling my car up at some of the more notorious hoods.
      So what city do you drive to in order to fill up?
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

    9. Member OOOO-A3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 19th, 2004
      Location
      KILG
      Posts
      8,437
      Vehicles
      2013 Volt; 1/35th of a Model 3
      06-16-2017 06:08 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Merckx View Post
      undoubtedly
      Wrong. Check pricing on 6 year old Volts and Leafs.

    10. Member Carson Fiber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2015
      Location
      The hell hole of Chicago
      Posts
      1,989
      06-16-2017 06:09 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      So what city do you drive to in order to fill up?
      I'll still fill my car up in safer Chicago hoods, although due to less tax, the prices are better in the burbs.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

    11. Member Form Ocean's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 6th, 2000
      Location
      DFW, TX
      Posts
      1,300
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 2001.5 Passat, 2010 Civic, 2006 Pilot
      06-16-2017 06:10 PM #11
      From the people who brought us food deserts. Now we're going to hear about charging deserts.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2002
      Location
      Virginia Beach
      Posts
      444
      Vehicles
      2011 Nissan Versa 2017 Honda Accord EX-L
      06-16-2017 06:10 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      God forbid if the state tries to put the interests of everyone living there, instead of just the rich
      I just don't think electric cars are very high on the priority list of indigent people...

    13. Member DasCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2009
      Location
      West Coast
      Posts
      8,542
      Vehicles
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      06-16-2017 06:24 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      How much copper wire is in one of these chargers?
      better than having your catalytic ripped off.

    14. Member DasCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2009
      Location
      West Coast
      Posts
      8,542
      Vehicles
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      06-16-2017 06:33 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Merckx View Post
      I just read that California is going to insist that some of the VW charging stations be placed in low income neighborhoods....where undoubtedly no one can afford an electric car. This is so VW won't gain any kind of economic advantage with these forced stations...The insanity of politics....



      You obviously haven't seen the used EV market.

    15. Member 2000JettaGLXVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      9,695
      Vehicles
      2015 e-Golf
      06-16-2017 06:34 PM #15
      Like it or not, you will need to travel through ghettos to get to your destination. And thus, you will spend 40 minutes alone in your car in a shady place at midnight like I do on occasion because you need to charge.

      2015 e-Golf

    16. Member whiteboy1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2001
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      4,800
      Vehicles
      1962 Lincoln Continental
      06-16-2017 06:39 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      God forbid if the state tries to put the interests of everyone living there, instead of just the rich
      Quote Originally Posted by Merckx View Post
      I just don't think electric cars are very high on the priority list of indigent people...


      Please try to educate yourself so you don't openly show how biased you are. Jesus.


      Used electric cars are rapidly dropping in price and incredibly affordable. We're actively trying to put charging stations in low income neighborhoods so that they can benefit from electric only vehicles. Giving them advantages not normally afforded to them. Which in turn, helps lower their monthly expenses (ie fuel) to help them move up. I don't have the time or patience to even crack into the systematic racism that this plan is trying to undo.
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho
      Before you take the tact of denigrating a group, you should empathize with the situation/history and understand the facts. It might not make for great debate on forums, but it helps with personal awareness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
      Empathy isn't hard. You don't have to feel what other people feel to be understanding or trust that not everyone has the same perspective.

    17. Member 2000JettaGLXVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      9,695
      Vehicles
      2015 e-Golf
      06-16-2017 06:50 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy1 View Post
      I don't have the time or patience to even crack into the systematic racism that this plan is trying to undo.
      This is cultural apportion of electrification. I require a safe space to plug in my car between suburbs.
      2015 e-Golf

    18. Geriatric Member spockcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Location
      West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Posts
      35,919
      Vehicles
      11 328i Touring, 16 Colorado Crew, Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      06-16-2017 07:07 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy1 View Post
      Please try to educate yourself so you don't openly show how biased you are. Jesus.


      Used electric cars are rapidly dropping in price and incredibly affordable. We're actively trying to put charging stations in low income neighborhoods so that they can benefit from electric only vehicles. Giving them advantages not normally afforded to them. Which in turn, helps lower their monthly expenses (ie fuel) to help them move up. I don't have the time or patience to even crack into the systematic racism that this plan is trying to undo.
      Can you fit 28" wheels on a Leaf?

    19. Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      28,788
      06-16-2017 07:15 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      Wrong. Check pricing on 6 year old Volts and Leafs.
      Go drive through Compton and tell me how many Volts and Leafs you find.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2012
      Location
      Hillsboro
      Posts
      1,021
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v, 2016 Golf GTI S
      06-16-2017 07:22 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Go drive through Compton and tell me how many Volts and Leafs you find.
      Just don't ask anyone if they've seen some because round those parts thats slang for coke and ganja

    21. 06-16-2017 07:23 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy1 View Post
      Please try to educate yourself so you don't openly show how biased you are. Jesus.


      Used electric cars are rapidly dropping in price and incredibly affordable. We're actively trying to put charging stations in low income neighborhoods so that they can benefit from electric only vehicles. Giving them advantages not normally afforded to them. Which in turn, helps lower their monthly expenses (ie fuel) to help them move up. I don't have the time or patience to even crack into the systematic racism that this plan is trying to undo.
      Yeah because buying an out of warranty electric car like a FIAT e500 or forbid in the future an eGolf is a smart choice for someone living in poverty from the trailer park to the urban ghetto. Those white people just know what's best for everyone.

    22. Member 2000JettaGLXVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      9,695
      Vehicles
      2015 e-Golf
      06-16-2017 07:37 PM #22
      Isn't this "gentrification" that people in those neighborhoods detest so much?

      Quote Originally Posted by Nicefeet View Post
      Yeah because buying an out of warranty electric car like a FIAT e500 or forbid in the future an eGolf is a smart choice for someone living in poverty from the trailer park to the urban ghetto. Those white people just know what's best for everyone.
      Say what you will about the Fiats, but the eGolfs have been superb and reliable. I have over 35,000 miles on mine and it hasn't has one single hiccup. Zero maintenance over 2 years so far is pretty sweet and zero time trying to deal with a loaner or drop off schedule ever time you need service in a traditional gas car.
      2015 e-Golf

    23. Member Tommietank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2009
      Location
      Burlington, VT
      Posts
      1,898
      Vehicles
      2016 BMW i3, 2013 Accord EX-L V6, 2001 S2000
      06-16-2017 07:42 PM #23
      Pass me the effing popcorn. I imagine this conversation 100 years ago where you replace "electric car" with "car" and "charging station" with "gas station".


      Soon rather then later there will be electric beaters just like there are ICE beaters. These cars will be even cheaper, have degraded batteries, worn tires, dirty interiors, peeling paint and the like. And just like gas stations in the ghetto, there will be electric stations in the ghetto. Get over it
      Slow Car Fast

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2002
      Location
      Virginia Beach
      Posts
      444
      Vehicles
      2011 Nissan Versa 2017 Honda Accord EX-L
      06-16-2017 07:43 PM #24
      I don't think we need to have an "intelligent and liberal" contest here....It is a plain fact that electric cars are not on the radar of most indigent...and after being a high school English teacher, I think I've got a pretty good handle on what various people are interested in.

      my op was just to comment that the stations are being placed there to punish VW, not to serve constituents....

    25. Member turbinepowered's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2007
      Location
      Lubeland (KY)
      Posts
      8,197
      Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      06-16-2017 07:54 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Merckx View Post
      I don't think we need to have an "intelligent and liberal" contest here....It is a plain fact that electric cars are not on the radar of most indigent...and after being a high school English teacher, I think I've got a pretty good handle on what various people are interested in.

      my op was just to comment that the stations are being placed there to punish VW, not to serve constituents....
      Interpretation or open statement?

      My suspicion is the former, not the latter.
      Last edited by turbinepowered; 06-16-2017 at 07:56 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

    For advertising information click HERE

    Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •