VWVortex.com - Low Income Neighborhood VW Charging Stations
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Low Income Neighborhood VW Charging Stations

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      11 328i Touring, 16 Colorado Crew, Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      06-19-2017 09:00 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by rickhamilton620 View Post
      I think this is a good thing. Electric cars generally have a lower cost of ownership than gas ones. Sure, there's a mechanic in every neighborhood (or a handy car person who doesn't mind working on friends and family rides)...but it would allow for a better quality of life by avoiding the inconvenience, unexpected expense, and frustration that a broken car causes.

This is especially true if you're lower income and may not have as many resources to help you out transportation wise if your car's down and out but you absolutely have to get to work.

Sure, these may not exactly be desirable neighborhoods... but if the push for electric vehicles is going to happen, a relatively evenly distributed charging network is a must. Both for the people living there, and the people from the suburbs driving through.
      The issue with these early, lower cost electric cars is going to be range. Especially if it is the only car in the family and the driver has a job but doesn't have access to charging at work.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevy Volt LT
      06-19-2017 09:11 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Green Panzer View Post
      Who that lives in the ghetto would want an electric car and be a sitting duck while charging?
      A) Poor neighborhoods aren't the Hunger Games, millions of people go about their day to day lives there without being shot, despite political rhetoric
      B) You don't have to sit in your car while it charges you know

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevy Volt LT
      06-19-2017 09:15 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      The issue with these early, lower cost electric cars is going to be range. Especially if it is the only car in the family and the driver has a job but doesn't have access to charging at work.
      I don't think commutes tend to be as long in lower income brackets, often being retail or other service jobs.

A big problem I see is street parking. Not a lot of big housing towers have garages/reserved parking with access to wall plugs. Maybe less of an issue in LA?

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      11 328i Touring, 16 Colorado Crew, Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      06-19-2017 09:33 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      I don't think commutes tend to be as long in lower income brackets, often being retail or other service jobs.

A big problem I see is street parking. Not a lot of big housing towers have garages/reserved parking with access to wall plugs. Maybe less of an issue in LA?
      But if there is only 1 car in the family and it is a low range electric, then the ability to go some place beyond the range of your car on a weekend or vacation is more complicated. Also, if you have several kids or an extended family then a small electric isn't going to work for you as an only car.

06-19-2017 09:42 AM #80
      Actually studies have shown the opposite in many cases. The rich can afford to high priced housing that is right close to the job cores, but the poor have to live 20, 30, 50 miles away from jobs and commute in because they can't afford the expensive housing close to jobs.

Vehicles
      13 Elantra
      06-19-2017 09:45 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Actually studies have shown the opposite in many cases. The rich can afford to high priced housing that is right close to the job cores, but the poor have to live 20, 30, 50 miles away from jobs and commute in because they can't afford the expensive housing close to jobs.
      For the 50% that live in those 3,000 flyover rural counties perhaps, but the other 50% live in about 144 counties and probably don't drive 50 miles to work.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      06-19-2017 10:14 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      For the 50% that live in those 3,000 flyover rural counties perhaps, but the other 50% live in about 144 counties and probably don't drive 50 miles to work.
      Worth noting: there's distance and then there's time. Not everyone is this guy,

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...nsit/22660785/

but there's definitely a good chunk of low income people in populated areas of the country with long 'time' commutes, transferring between different bus routes and walking the rest of the way. It's a commute that would take a lot less time point-to-point in an EV than without a car at all, despite being a short 'distance.'

Locally, I can think of warehouse and call centre jobs, decent paying, being close distance-wise to a low income part of town, but impractical without a car. 10 minutes by car vs an hour by bus with transfers involved, and not safe for cycling either.

06-19-2017 10:47 AM #83
      Hmm define low income, would this result in cities like Compton/Watts/Inglewood/Hood parts of Long Beach etc. i.e. straight up Ghetto locations or areas like the North Torrance/Cerritos/Glendale etc.?

If you're street smart you'll know that if the charging stations are indeed in the Ghetto hood it would leave you extremely vulnerable to great misfortune, even if you simply left it to charge. Because.gangs.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: '96 Honda Civic CX; Former: '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '12 Golf TDI (sold to VW)
      06-19-2017 10:53 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      U mad again?
      Nah, not mad. I'm pro-science, thank you

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: '96 Honda Civic CX; Former: '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '12 Golf TDI (sold to VW)
      06-19-2017 10:56 AM #85
      A) Poor neighborhoods aren't the Hunger Games, millions of people go about their day to day lives there without being shot, despite political rhetoric
      B) You don't have to sit in your car while it charges you know
      Yup.

Lots of elitism from people who think they know better than those that actually struggle to make ends meet

11. 06-19-2017 02:04 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      Yup.

Lots of elitism from people who think they know better than those that actually struggle to make ends meet

Yes indeed, frankly it oozes from quite a few members here. There's a real arrogance about their attitude, like they are entitled to
      decide for others how they should live, work, which cars they should want to buy, ect. I call them the MBA class, even if they aren't necessarily
      actual MBAs.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      06-19-2017 02:04 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      Yes indeed, frankly it oozes from quite a few members here. There's a real arrogance about their attitude, like they are entitled to
      decide for others how they should live, work, which cars they should want to buy, ect.
      Projection much?

13. 06-19-2017 02:06 PM #88
      Projection much?

What projection. I've noticed that if I mention I prefer a vehicle to another many members on here, "descend" to enforce their own opinion as fact.

Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-19-2017 02:15 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by dr whos it View Post
      What projection. I've noticed that if I mention I prefer a vehicle to another many members on here, "descend" to enforce their own opinion as fact.
      People only "descend" on you because you are stubbornly championing for the Polo to come to the US when it has been explained to you countless times why that is not a viable option. Maybe if you were not so fervent in your ignorance people would treat you better Golfy.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevy Volt LT
      06-19-2017 02:16 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      People only "descend" on you because you are stubbornly championing for the Polo to come to the US when it has been explained to you countless times why that is not a viable option. Maybe if you were not so fervent in your ignorance people would treat you better Golfy.
      You guys gotta stop feeding this troll. Let him go be an english teacher who does dressage or whatever.

16. 06-19-2017 02:28 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      As with anyone else, I have my own viewpoint and unless the forum rules say otherwise, I am allowed to express it. Honestly I don't really care if you want to treat me "better" or not. This is just a hobby interest forum, not something more.
      Who is Golfy?

Vehicles
      2011 Naruhito Zelas
      06-19-2017 02:42 PM #92
      I don't know what you guys are complaining about. Of course there are electric cars in the hood!

Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

Vehicles
      E46 320, MK IV GTI
      06-19-2017 02:43 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Here in the hell hole of Chicago, you'll probably get shot dead before that ever happens.
      So in other words: The System Works.

19. 06-19-2017 02:50 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
      I don't know what you guys are complaining about. Of course there are electric cars in the hood!

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 1.8t
      06-19-2017 03:31 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      This one dropped $200 since you posted it, haha.

Personally, I'd totally buy an electric car if it wasn't my only car. I don't think I could ever daily a car with a range less than double my commute distance though (15 mile commute = >30 miles range) – knowing that I could to and from work without having to go out on my lunch break to find an open charger because Dave in accounting left his plugged in all day.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      06-19-2017 03:43 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post

Vehicles
      06-19-2017 03:47 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Pickleheadguy View Post
      Personally, I'd totally buy an electric car if it wasn't my only car. I don't think I could ever daily a car with a range less than double my commute distance though (15 mile commute = >30 miles range) – knowing that I could to and from work without having to go out on my lunch break to find an open charger because Dave in accounting left his plugged in all day.
      What on earth...

Even a universally panned Mitsubishi i-MIEV has 59 miles of range. A 500E (not 'that' 500E ) has an 83mi range (the '13 pictured had a 87mi rating but the newer range # is probably more accurate). http://www.caranddriver.com/fiat/500e

No EV has <30mi range, only the 'electric only' range for some plug-in hybrids is that low.
      http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Power...0&rowLimit=200

Most mainstream EVs have at least a ~100mi range now, and earlier Leafs and Focuses, etc., had at least ~80.

Vehicles
      06-19-2017 03:48 PM #98
      You can tell it's "the hood" because the family's black... clearly.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      06-19-2017 04:00 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      You can tell it's "the hood" because the family's black... clearly.
      Some folks love to spread their veiled racism out in the open. What else is there to say?

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 1.8t
      06-19-2017 04:04 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      What on earth...

Even a universally panned Mitsubishi i-MIEV has 59 miles of range. A 500E (not 'that' 500E ) has an 83mi range (the '13 pictured had a 87mi rating but the newer range # is probably more accurate). http://www.caranddriver.com/fiat/500e

No EV has <30mi range, only the 'electric only' range for some plug-in hybrids is that low.
      http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Power...0&rowLimit=200

Most mainstream EVs have at least a ~100mi range now, and earlier Leafs and Focuses, etc., had at least ~80.
      30 miles was for the sake of example, but yes, I was thinking of the 1st gen Volt when I came up with the number. Thanks for keeping me in check.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast