Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lies that customers use when buying a car

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      06-18-2017 11:15 PM #51
      I just love it when people complain about situations THEY caused (or at least, their standard business practices caused).
      I work in a construction related business, and contractor moan endlessly about stricter enforcement of codes.
      I always remind them that the government rarely does anything proactively, which means a contractor did something REALLY stupid to cause the stricter code enforcement.

1. Lies About Their Intentions. What do you say when you go to a dealership and the salesperson walks up? “Just looking,” right? People always say things like “Oh, we just started” or “We’re not buying today” when, in fact, they’ve been shopping for six weeks and have every intention of buying a car that day as soon as they find the right car at the right price. They just don’t want the salesperson to know it.

And this is because some people just want to look over the inventory in person to see if they have what they are looking for BEFORE a salesmen needs to corral them to close a sale, get the trade in hidden somewhere so they can't leave, and sell them something on the lot even if they don't have what they are looking for.
      When a customer wants a salesman, you will know.
      Cry me a river.

2. Lies About Their Credit or Anything Financial. Some people say they have “excellent credit” as if somehow forgetting their bankruptcy four years ago or their two repos. They’ll say they have a 700 Beacon when, in fact, their score is in the 580s. They’ll say they can only afford $300 a month, max, that’s it, not a cent more, then leave and buy a car for $600 a month at another dealership. They’ll say they earn $2,400 a month, but when you get their paystubs it only adds up to $1,800 a month. And so on.

Have no clue on this one- why lie about something like this that will be verified before the deal?
      Do they think they will get a better price/terms (before verification) if the deal thinks they have better credit?
      But I suspect some people really are clueless about what credit really means.
      "I have all my current past due bills paid" or "the collectors stopped calling" to them may mean perfect credit.

3. Lies About Their Trade. Believe it or not, some people actually try to conceal defects, both large and small, in the cars they trade in. GASP! Yes, it’s true. From claiming that their car has never been in an accident (which is quickly revealed by the CarFax we pull on every vehicle) to trying to cover up the fact that it needs a new transmission, some people lie like rugs when it comes to their trade-in.

It's not fair when customers are as dishonest as the dealers, is it?
      The dealer is going to offer 5-10k below retail even if perfect.
      The trade in inspection should find anything they can use to deduct value... but don't you dare use similar wear and tear on your trade in to try and negotiate the used car purchased price down... if you want a new car, then buy a new car!
      Seriously- does any dealer take any owner at their word on a trade in condition?

4. Lies About “The Great Deal Down The Street.” This is a personal favorite. People are constantly telling me they can buy “the exact same car down the street for $____ less” (fill in the blank with a ridiculous number). Or “The folks down the street gave me $10,000 for my trade,” when the car is really only worth $5,000. And the question every salesperson who hears this wants to ask is “So why are you here???” The answer is because the great deal down the street doesn’t exist.

"Yep, we get that 'market value adjustment' of $3000 on every one of these (insert vanilla stock can get anywhere)."
      "We only have $200 of profit at full msrp on the new _____."

Dealers use obvious bullsh*t to try and pad prices.
      Then are surprised when customers try to do the same.

5. Lies About What Their Salesperson Said. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard customers tell managers things such as “But your salesperson promised me 1.9%!” No experienced salesperson promises anybody an interest rate. Or a price. Or a payment. However, sometimes, people hear what they want to hear. They become convinced they were promised something when, in fact, they weren’t promised anything at all. This is complicated by the fact that, yes, some unscrupulous or inexperienced salespeople DO sometimes promise things they cannot deliver. That means that every time a customer makes a claim such as this it must be handled very, very carefully because it might just be true.

Bold tells the story.
      If you are an honest business person, you only promise the moon if you can deliver the moon and stars.

The credit one is truly confusing, but everything else is the direct result of dealership practices.
      People now expect dealers to try and screw them, so they are playing the same game.
      If dealers want to point fingers, then find a mirror.

*Tho this all does suck for the truly honest dealerships out there.. all seven of them.
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      98 740iL, 15 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S
      06-19-2017 09:45 AM #52
      Generally, its the time consumed completing the transaction that bothers me. With the exception of the Mini and the i3, it was always a half day process.

I'm not big on haggling, posting online whether it is a good deal, etc. If I think it is a reasonable price to pay - I pay it. I never expect to pay MSRP - most times I'm at MSRP with all the BS rolled in. I can't stand busting chops, either. I took my BF motorcycle browsing Saturday and to get a number was a very simple - how much was all in. A "friend" of his suggested getting that number; THEN working them to get some services covered, etc. I did explain that since it wasn't a Harley - whose dealers are a dime a dozen - maintaining a good relationship is really best over the long term. Especially when that dealer would be your only choice in the area.

Unlike many, I'm OK with the dealer making money.

Vehicles
      Mk1, Lifted Camry
      06-19-2017 09:55 AM #53
      What really gets to me is when they are super pushy about rust proofing or something that costs 20X the amount to get done elsewhere. If they priced stuff like this competitively, I'm sure they would sell X module in every car.
      They don't understand the concept of no means no. They just keep going.
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

Vehicles
      '12 FJ Cruiser 6MT, '15 Triumph ST3
      06-19-2017 10:01 AM #54
      I just do it all by email. So much easier. It pretty much goes like "I want this car, and I want to pay this for it. Can you make it happen? If so, send me a Buyer's Order and I'll get a check for it"

Vehicles
      '17 Accord Sport SE 6MT & '12 Honda Pilot EX-L Family Truckster
      06-19-2017 10:05 AM #55
      I can't wait until the Amazon starts selling cars.

The negation process wasn't hard on my last purchase, all done via email. I said I want to pay X amount for your stock number 123 and I have my financing already taken care of. She emailed me back with the acceptance/order as an attachment outlining the agreement.

But the "buying" process was painful. Very painful. Both the sales manager and sales person telling various stories as to the cars status (en route to dealer from factory). Then they screwed up the day I went to pick it up, not available for my appointment time, talking way too long to do the paperwork when it should have all been done in advance. Then the fat, sweaty finance guy...the worst. Wrong interest rate, wasn't aware I was putting down cash, etc. Again, all of this communicated way before I was coming to pick it up. The icing on the cake was the PDI guy scratching the **** out of the paintwork.

Car buying sucks. Period.

Vehicles
      '12 FJ Cruiser 6MT, '15 Triumph ST3
      06-19-2017 10:07 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      I can't wait until the Amazon starts selling cars.

The negation process wasn't hard on my last purchase, all done via email. I said I want to pay X amount for your stock number 123 and I have my financing already taken care of. She emailed me back with the acceptance/order as an attachment outlining the agreement.

But the "buying" process was painful. Very painful. Both the sales manager and sales person telling various stories as to the cars status (en route to dealer from factory). Then they screwed up the day I went to pick it up, not available for my appointment time, talking way too long to do the paperwork when it should have all been done in advance. Then the fat, sweaty finance guy...the worst. Wrong interest rate, wasn't aware I was putting down cash, etc. Again, all of this communicated way before I was coming to pick it up. The icing on the cake was the PDI guy scratching the **** out of the paintwork.

Just sounds like that dealership sucks.

7. 06-19-2017 10:12 AM #57
      If what they say isn't illegal, it's not any worse than the lies and tricks dealers play on a more "normal" minded customer and not a hyper informed and aware customer.

Turn about is fair play.

Vehicles
      '17 Accord Sport SE 6MT & '12 Honda Pilot EX-L Family Truckster
      06-19-2017 10:13 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      Agreed. Regardless, car buying shouldn't have to be this way.

06-19-2017 10:13 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I just love it when people complain about situations THEY caused (or at least, their standard business practices caused).

The credit one is truly confusing, but everything else is the direct result of dealership practices.
      People now expect dealers to try and screw them, so they are playing the same game.

*Tho this all does suck for the truly honest dealerships out there.. all seven of them.
      I came in to say this^^

Thanks

Vehicles
      '17 Scat Pack Manuel / '01 Camaro SS Manuel
      06-19-2017 10:20 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
      No, it is 1:1, if you think otherwise, you are lying...to yourself. Don't feel bad, it is a defense mechanism.

I guess this is saying that buyers are liars? Say it isn't so!?!?!
      I did not lie on my lease. I told them where I needed to be to do the lease. It was then the dealership lying to try to get me to pay more. I kept saying the same thing. I need a lease at this number. The dealership is the one that kept trying new lies to get me to raise my number just a few more. Their problem was that they said they could do it. Then immediately dropped a price on the table that was more than $100/mo higher. Like they thought when they finally hit my number I was going to be so thrilled to take the deal, which I did take the deal. They finally got to the number I said I wanted to buy at. Of course, 2 weeks later I got a call telling me I had not paid enough taxes and they wanted me to resign the deal at a higher number, you know, because the taxes were wrong.... okay buddy. You are telling me that the bank never actually approved the deal I signed because the taxes were figured wrong and I was going to have to come up with the difference.

Sure, you keep telling yourself that the ratio is 1:1.

Vehicles
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      06-19-2017 10:33 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      Unlike many, I'm OK with the dealer making money.
      And there's the final rub. Most people think that the dealer making a profit to pay their staff and keep the lights on is evil. I just talked to a guy who wanted to get a '17 Mustang GT convertible, loaded, for $23k. And was incensed when the dealers all said no. He thought $23k was a fair price and that the dealers were lying when they said they couldn't take 50% off the car...

My buddy is a salesperson at the local Audi dealership and a couple came in Friday wanting $10k off a new Q5. And wouldn't budge because "that's the number they had in their heads." There may be money to be taken off a car, but at that price, the dealer would be paying them at least five grand to take the car. The sales manager got $4k off the price, but they said they could get a better deal at a different Audi dealer, so they walked. And called back Saturday wanting to know if the $4k off deal was still good. At which point the sales manager said nope. No deal.

I've done similar selling my personal cars. When they try to ultra lowball me, the price goes UP not down. As anyone who's tried to sell a car on CL knows, the general public are vastly worse than dealer salesmen, and there are vastly more of them out there than salesmen.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Vehicles
      '17 Scat Pack Manuel / '01 Camaro SS Manuel
      06-19-2017 10:43 AM #62
      None of that is lying though. That is just dumb people thinking they can demand a lower price. Saying, "I can get that price at dealership X" may just be them stupidly believing the other dealers ad, that said the car was that price. And as usual, that was not for anything close to what the customers were thinking. "Oh, no you misunderstood the ad, that is for the base model in mauve, with 7500 miles a year on the lease."

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      06-19-2017 10:53 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      To all those claiming that it is too difficult to buy a car: walk in, select car you like, note the price next to "MSRP" on the sticker, then write a check for said amount, plus sales tax, and please, go home happy.

Oh wait, you want to negotiate a lower price?
      I tried that when I bought my wife's car previous to the Corolla just to see what they would do and they came back with a price of full MSRP minus the rebate plus about $1000 for dealer add-ons like window tint, nitrogen in the tires. It took several hours of back and forth/waiting but I ended up with it at invoice with the accessories thrown in.

With the Corolla I found a high-volume/highly-rated dealer and asked for a quote via email. A few hours later I got a response with a price about $500 below invoice and after verifying that there were no add-ons and that that price was combinable with the 0% financing I told them I would be down there after work to buy it -- and, by the way, could they give me a rough idea of what they'd give me for my trade. They asked a bunch of questions about condition, maintenance history, equipment, etc. and gave a slightly low but totally fair number.

We got there at 6:30 on the last day of the month/last day of Toyotathon and all then numbers matched (even the estimate for the trade was there on the contract) so I just agreed to everything and it was the most painless process ever. The salesman took more time to show us the car's features and set up Bluetooth than we did looking for at the numbers, then he moved on to the next person. Maybe he made less on the sale but I'm thrilled with the purchase and if he can crank out five sales in the time it takes for one traditional one that sounds like a positive for everybody
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '97 M3, '92 GTI project
      06-19-2017 11:19 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      I agree it definitely depends on the dealer. When we visited our local dealer to look at the Mazda3, they didn't have any manuals to test drive, so we decided to test drive an auto, just so she could get a feel for the rest of the car. The whole process took half an hour, at the most. They were literally our first stop because they are right down the street from our house, but we were going to go look at some other cars. They called back a few days later, said they located a manual that we could take on an extended test drive, so we went back in, got the car, and were probably out the door in 10 minutes. Last time back, we decided on the 3, they came at us with a price we liked, and they located the car for us - and that was that. Delivery was painless too, the whole process took less than an hour.

With the trade-in, there were some complications (car was in her mom's name, and there were some more documents to sign) but the dealer did the legwork, and they offered us $2k for a used-up Civic that they didn't even test drive (not that we had anything to hide) - the Sales Mgr. just walked around the car once and offered us KBB 'Good' trade-in. A buddy traded his wife's Civic (same year, mileage, condition) for $300 a couple months later at a different dealership.

Buying my truck was a different story. Went into a dealer close to my workplace after work to go test drive a leftover 2014 in Feburary '15. They had half a dozen '14s on the lot. Considering I had written offers of $28k on a brand new '15 from another dealer, and an offer of $26.7k on a leftover '14 at a dealer 2 hours away, I gave the dealer an idea of what they were up against - I didn't have a certain target to meet. After some back and forth to talk to the manager - after a couple times, he finally just came over to meet me face-to-face - they said they'd match $26.7k. I was fine with that.

I again had a trade, but this time, the car was in my name (it was a lease, but the process was no different than having a lien). So much back and forth on trade value (because manual wagon), and "losing/finding" my keys, and parking the car on the opposite side of the building by the manager's desk. Finally, as I was walking out, the manager knocked a couple hundred off the truck, and bumped their trade offer by another $1k. Figured I wasn' going to get much better than that anywhere.

I don't think I would have bought from them if the price wasn't so good. I certainly haven't been back there for service due to that fact. Recently I've been getting emails and calls from the dealership, asking to trade in the truck, or for family referrals. LOL. It's an old school dealership in a wealthy part of the state. Very entrenched in the 'old' method.

Vehicles
      '15 S4
      06-19-2017 11:23 AM #65
      I always feel bad when I go to the dealer because I usually start my car shopping ~6-8 months in advance but I am definitely not upfront with them about that. Part of my process is, research the car I am interested in, go to the dealer, test drive it and work out some numbers to ball-park it, go back and do some more research about that particular one and maybe alternatives and maybe 1 or 2 more trips.

Case and point, ~March 2016 i started shopping for an S3. By the summer I was considering a Golf R and then by September I decided I wanted another manual so the S3 was out and I was making calls for a Golf R. Then November rolls around and a left over S4 pops. From March to November I made about 6 trips to 3 different Audi dealers and 2 trips to two different VW dealers.

When i ended up purchasing the car, it was 1 trip to an Audi dealer that was an all day affair. Going into the whole process, I really wanted to stay at one Audi dealer and work it out there to build a relationship for future purchases but it didn't work out. Now I get my service done at that dealer instead of where I purchased the car but I am nervous to speak to the salespeople again because I don't like to feel like i'm d**king them around

16. 06-19-2017 11:42 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      It shouldn't have to be.

I just bought a new John Deere tractor. The shopping went like this:

I spent less than 15 minutes in the dealership.

Why can't I buy a pickup truck like that, and spend less than 15 minutes in the truck dealer?
      You got ripped off on your tractor. Markups on them are terrible. And when they do delivery make sure it the SAME tractor you "bought". The love to switch you down to a dumber model without hydraulic links and top and tilt. Been through that.
      "Tractor jumped 100 hours of the weekend..." yeah right. I don't even use mine 100 hours in 6 months.

And just like cars make sure it come with all the accessories and manuals and spare keys. and not cheaper versions. I ordered a Deere MX6 rotary cutter, I dont not want a POS woods knock off.

Vehicles
      2005 Nissan Xterra
      06-19-2017 12:52 PM #67
      Okay first off I'm a very honest person and typically treat everyone with respect until they do something to change my opinion.

So far I have had only one dealership experience that was good compared and would say I respected compared to multiple that have turned out with me pissed off.

First the good one.

Antwerpen Hyundai 2015:
      We got in after going to another dealership 30 minutes before they close and know they have the model, color, and options we want. We told the sales rep the price we had from another dealership and they beat that price and matched the CarMax trade in value. Took a bit to get the paperwork handled but we had everything ready to go.

Now for the Bad ones.

Bob Bell Hyundai 2015:
      Called the dealer to get pricing on a specific VIN on their lot (one of many calls). They gave a quote and said it did not include the Title, Taxes, and Tags we agreed on the price and said we would be over tomorrow after work. We get to the dealership and talk with the guy and on the quote he has our price then a 1,500 delivery charge before adding the Title, Taxes, and Tags. When confronted about this he says well the price dropped below MSRP so we had to add the delivery charge back in. First I'm not sure where he got the delivery charge number from or why that was not added in during our phone call. He is convinced his price is the lowest and even printed it out and said shop around and come back tomorrow. See what Antwerpen did for a good experience.

Nationwide Nissan 2005:
      New 2005 Xterra just came out and Nationwide just got one in. I go in and ask to see it and the sales guy who was really nice said they had not sold one yet and had not even taken off the plastic wrap on the new model. He did mean that the seats, mats, and all items were still wrapped and we needed to remove them before we could take it for a test drive. After taking the drive and really poking around we start talking about price to which he says we have already sold a lot of these and I can't see my manager accepting below MSRP. I was dumbfounded he just said they hadn't sold any when I first arrived and now he is saying they sold a lot of them. For me it didn't matter as I had Nissan Employee pricing at the time but we ended up buying somewhere else because I wanted front and rear side airbags and they were hard to find.

Jones Junction Subaru 2002:
      Sales rep was nice and I have to admit I thought it was a good experience except for the service contract. First time I leased a car and I was told the service contract at $25 a month pays for all services for the car till I reach 45K miles (15K mile lease). so it would cover oil changes, tire rotations, and all the 15K services until 45K miles. When I figured it out it would work out slightly in my favor. So we signed and a year later when I came in for the 15K service I find out it is not covered and the only thing covered is Oil changes and Tire rotations. I was pretty pissed off and they ended up covering the service but only after I complained to the sales manager.

How many times have I been a jerk, not often and I try to let them know if I'm not serious.

18. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-19-2017 01:06 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by nemesis099 View Post
      Okay first off I'm a very honest person and typically treat everyone with respect until they do something to change my opinion.

So far I have had only one dealership experience that was good compared and would say I respected compared to multiple that have turned out with me pissed off.

First the good one.

Antwerpen Hyundai 2015:
      We got in after going to another dealership 30 minutes before they close and know they have the model, color, and options we want. We told the sales rep the price we had from another dealership and they beat that price and matched the CarMax trade in value. Took a bit to get the paperwork handled but we had everything ready to go.
      Going in ready to buy but close to before the dealer closes has helped me swing some quick decent deals.
      I dealt right with the sales manger those times (new and used), and the negotiation went:
      (*Not I really did have a fair deal figured out*)

-Their offer- price and trade in.
      -My counter that is fair*
      -They counter slightly off their original
      -Me saying "I was going to buy if we could make a fair deal, but since we can't make it happen, I'll just leave and let you guys close."
      I get up.
      Bam- deal happens, quickly ran through finance and all the BS is gone (once you call the finance guy's bluff on the initial apr quote).
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Reflex Silver GLI, '99 Jetta Wolfsburg (RIP)
      06-19-2017 01:15 PM #69
      I agree with all those points being shady except valuing trade. The dealer is buying a car just as you are, and it's on them to inspect it for any mechanical issues. If you ask me about some specific, I'll tell you but at the end of the day, it's on them to value (undervalue) your trade.

20. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-19-2017 01:17 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      And there's the final rub. Most people think that the dealer making a profit to pay their staff and keep the lights on is evil.
      Evil?

Again, the dealers created this environment.
      First by forcing you to only buy at certain dealers, then by intentionally obfuscating pricing and dealer costs to the point that the average person really has no clue what MSRP and INVOICE really mean.
      People are justifiably concerned about paying too much for a new car.
      I paid 5k less for a new truck than a friend's husband (back in 01).
      Same exact truck down to the color.
      Sure- I drove an hour to the big city to get that advertised deal (local dealer did not have any on lot at time).. but do you really think the local dealer deserves 5k MORE profit than the other dealership?
      Again, I have no clue how the other dealer sold it for so cheap.. but that crap combined with "bought it 10 months ago and now the same dealer says only worth half what I paid in trade" stuff makes every buyer nervous and concerned.
      Did customers cause this pricing circus?

I just talked to a guy who wanted to get a '17 Mustang GT convertible, loaded, for $23k. And was incensed when the dealers all said no. He thought $23k was a fair price and that the dealers were lying when they said they couldn't take 50% off the car...

My buddy is a salesperson at the local Audi dealership and a couple came in Friday wanting $10k off a new Q5. And wouldn't budge because "that's the number they had in their heads." There may be money to be taken off a car, but at that price, the dealer would be paying them at least five grand to take the car. The sales manager got $4k off the price, but they said they could get a better deal at a different Audi dealer, so they walked. And called back Saturday wanting to know if the $4k off deal was still good. At which point the sales manager said nope. No deal.

I've done similar selling my personal cars. When they try to ultra lowball me, the price goes UP not down. As anyone who's tried to sell a car on CL knows, the general public are vastly worse than dealer salesmen, and there are vastly more of them out there than salesmen.
      There will always be idiots.
      I have similar stuff happen in my industry- customer claims they can get exact same beam/truss/i-joist package for 10k less.
      When asked to prove it (show me) since I know we only have 5k profit in the whole job, they balk and buy it from us anyway.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 06-19-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Vehicles
      74 Beetle
      06-19-2017 01:30 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Exactly.
      I doubt a first time car buyer shows up with all the issues discussed in this thread. But if they have the typical first time buying experience of getting ripped off in some way, they'll sure have it from that point on. That includes me and pretty much everyone I can think of.
      So, yeah, sorry you honest salesguys out there. You can thank your customers previous transactions for the attitudes they're showing up with today. You can't rip people off for amounts that add up to large portions or even multiples of their entire paychecks and think they're going show up for their next car purchase with a positive outlook.
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

Vehicles
      2016 F150 Lariat, 2015 VW Jetta 1.8tsi
      06-19-2017 01:33 PM #72
      I used to sell car at a Nissan dealership in early 2000s. It sucks for honest, car guys like me. The more lies you tell, the more car you sell.

They might not come back in the future to buy a car from you, but who cares, at the end of the months, it's plus one on the board.

Now, I don't feel bad telling a lie or two when car shopping!
      " If your not breaking parts, your just not trying hard enough to win!"

Colin McRae, R.I.P

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      06-19-2017 01:33 PM #73
      Here's the deal with dealers..

Toyota/Honda/Nissan dealers suck. Very pushy.
      Ford/Chevy/Dodge/VW dealers suck slightly less. But they have ugly dealerships.
      BMW dealers are snobby, eg. if you pull up in a Chevy Express cargo van they will bertstare you.
      Acura dealers are snobby for no reason, yeah you guys are so cool selling those rebadged Accords.
      Infinity/Lexus dealers have small dealerships but make up for it in customer service; it's very easy dealing with them. Especially Infinity.
      Audi has cool dealerships and easy to deal with as well. My favorite.
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

Vehicles
      '15 Audi S3
      06-19-2017 01:39 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
      I can't see the current way of buying cars playing out well with millennials like myself (and even more so generation Z after us) once we start buying new cars in seriously large numbers. The biggest generation now has grown up in the Amazon era, where you buy things in a straight-forward fashion for a good price, and you get your product in a timely manner, and the customer service is impeccable. No hassle, no gimmicks, no sense of distrust.

Going to dealers is a dreadful occasion to me. I can't stand the people, I can't stand the tactics, and I can't believe how some people will sit at a dealer for an entire day to haggle. I don't foresee younger people operating that way because society has been conditioned (through means of excellent shopping experiences elsewhere) that buying something shouldn't feel like a headache anymore. The way dealers conduct themselves hardly fits into the present, let alone the future.
      You hit the nail on the head. I'm a millennial, 25, and when I was looking for a S3 I contacted the Audi dealers in town and gave them the terms/figures I was looking for and said that if they could meet them then I would happily give them my business. I got the usual "well come visit and we can mess around with the numbers" answers, and I told them they either had them or they didn't, there was no in between. A few weeks went by, and a dealer came back with an offer and that's the one I bought my car from. In and out in an hour.

Vehicles
      13' Gencoupe 2.0T
      06-19-2017 01:59 PM #75
      This one time. At band... Err... dealership place in Florida.

Friend was test driving a Tiguan, and we had some things we didn't like, at which point, the sales guy began talking trash about her two year old Beetle and my TDI

There was a bit of back and forth in the car, some words traded, etc.

Needless to say, there was no sale that day

Edit: Pretty much that the Beetle was a POS compared to the Tiguan and that I had a TDI so I should not be complaining about the performance.
      Last edited by Braga_Dub; 06-19-2017 at 02:01 PM.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast