Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lies that customers use when buying a car

Vehicles
      '16 3.0L A6,'16 A4, 02 Trailblazer
      06-18-2017 05:17 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      It shouldn't have to be.

I just bought a new John Deere tractor. The shopping went like this:

I spent less than 15 minutes in the dealership.

Why can't I buy a pickup truck like that, and spend less than 15 minutes in the truck dealer?
      Then walk in and pay sticker, just like you did with your tractor. People try to act like they can negotiate for an hour and a half and bitch that it is taking so long to get everything done.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

Vehicles
      06-18-2017 05:26 PM #27

Vehicles
      E46 320, MK IV GTI
      06-18-2017 05:32 PM #28
      You're right OP, customers are the liars and the main reason why car sales are the way they are.

I know a few salespeople that lie, but its only to build a cushion for the majority of customers who are lying a holes.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevy Volt LT
      06-18-2017 06:05 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      because car manufacturers are selling a financial product that just happens to have a vehicle attached.
      This.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      06-18-2017 06:45 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      You don't negotiate on new farm machinery. The exception is MFG incentives. It's all very different from car sales. My question is why?
      Is the John Deere finance department 3 times the size of it's engineering department?
      signatures are annoying, right?

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      06-18-2017 07:02 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      To all those claiming that it is too difficult to buy a car: walk in, select car you like, note the price next to "MSRP" on the sticker, then write a check for said amount, plus sales tax, and please, go home happy.

Oh wait, you want to negotiate a lower price?
      Tried to do this on an M2 and a GT350R, no dice.
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

06-18-2017 08:14 PM #32
      To all those claiming that it is too difficult to buy a car: walk in, select car you like, note the price next to "MSRP" on the sticker, then write a check for said amount, plus sales tax, and please, go home happy.

Oh wait, you want to negotiate a lower price?
      I actually bought my first cars without negotiating Since I was unaware that dealers were happy to negotiate back then. That's something they don't teach you in school.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

Vehicles
      2005 Mazda3
      06-18-2017 08:16 PM #33
      An old friend traded in his old 2nd gen Matrix XRS for a Mazdaspeed 3. When he had the XRS, he had maybe a little too much fun with it and the clutch was on it's way out. When he brought it to Mazda to trade in, this is part of the convo.

Service person after inspecting/driving the car "Um...were you beating on the clutch? It's slipping pretty bad."
      Friend "No, it was having problems and Toyota was giving me trouble to fix it."
      Service person "Oh? I mean...if you were beating on it, or racing it's fine, I just need to know."
      Friend - "Nope, not at all, man."
      Service Person - "....okay then! No problem!"

To this day, he still has his Speed3, making tons of power, all paid off quickly. He got a great deal after trading in the XRS.
      Formally Known As | DTMTrini
      I once pulled an 180 down a rainy street. I turned around and saw...a pebble. It all happened in slow motion, but...I knew it was too late.
      One day, I will rise. RIP 02:13 PM EST 6/7/17

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      06-18-2017 08:35 PM #34
      ... this just in. People are dishonest.

I hate to sound like I'm antisocial, but I'd love to be able to take the human out of the car buying experience. No negotiating, no haggling, no tricks, no wheeling and dealing. A straight price tag.

Bam. You go to a dealership to 'try out a car similar to the one you're interested in', sit in different interiors, and then you place your order.

You're welcome.

- Tesla.

I love shopping for cars, but I hate the buying experience. You have to sit down with someone who pretends he's your friend and is looking out for your best interest. He's probably a nice guy outside the dealership, but his job is to tell you anything and everything that'll get you into a car today, and the customer will tell his salesman anything and everything to lead his on to believe he won't buy a car from him today. It's just a game of lies and it gets old fast.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

Vehicles
      17 Golf Alltrack S, 92 Miata SBY, 08 Yukon XL
      06-18-2017 08:50 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      Yes, some people lie. I am going out on a limb and saying the number of lying salespeople greatly outnumber the buyers.
      No, it is 1:1, if you think otherwise, you are lying...to yourself. Don't feel bad, it is a defense mechanism.

I guess this is saying that buyers are liars? Say it isn't so!?!?!
      Last edited by Phil Pugliese; 06-18-2017 at 08:57 PM.
      CLICK * POINT * CHUTE

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      06-18-2017 09:05 PM #36
      I can't see the current way of buying cars playing out well with millennials like myself (and even more so generation Z after us) once we start buying new cars in seriously large numbers. The biggest generation now has grown up in the Amazon era, where you buy things in a straight-forward fashion for a good price, and you get your product in a timely manner, and the customer service is impeccable. No hassle, no gimmicks, no sense of distrust.

Going to dealers is a dreadful occasion to me. I can't stand the people, I can't stand the tactics, and I can't believe how some people will sit at a dealer for an entire day to haggle. I don't foresee younger people operating that way because society has been conditioned (through means of excellent shopping experiences elsewhere) that buying something shouldn't feel like a headache anymore. The way dealers conduct themselves hardly fits into the present, let alone the future.

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      06-18-2017 09:09 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
      I can't see the current way of buying cars playing out well with millennials like myself (and even more so generation Z after us) once we start buying new cars in seriously large numbers. The biggest generation now has grown up in the Amazon era, where you buy things in a straight-forward fashion for a good price, and you get your product in a timely manner, and the customer service is impeccable. No hassle, no gimmicks, no sense of distrust.

Going to dealers is a dreadful occasion to me. I can't stand the people, I can't stand the tactics, and I can't believe how some people will sit at a dealer for an entire day to haggle. I don't foresee younger people operating that way because society has been conditioned (through means of excellent shopping experiences elsewhere) that buying something shouldn't feel like a headache anymore. The way dealers conduct themselves hardly fits into the present, let alone the future.
      ^^ oh wow. i didn't realize how typical of a millennial i am.
      i hate the human interaction part of buying. ahhahahhahahaha
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      06-18-2017 09:25 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      ^^ oh wow. i didn't realize how typical of a millennial i am.
      i hate the human interaction part of buying. ahhahahhahahaha
      Millenial here. When I "get up to leave" a car dealership, I'm actually just leaving because I won't be buying a car from you today, or ever again in the future. it's not a negotiation tactic.

14. 06-18-2017 09:48 PM #39
      As a dealership employee, not Sales, I can tell you people are *******s. It's actually very rare when you have a customer who is not a *******. I blame it on "The customer is always right" business model. I have never seen so many grown up crybabies in my entire life. Thankfully, I was able to put myself into a position where I don't have to deal with the general public anymore.

I wish car buying was easier. I wish dealers would just list cars at a reasonable price or MSRP with NO haggling. Want it? Here you go. Don't want it? Bye. It would make the experience and transactions 100 times easier for everyone.

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      06-18-2017 09:50 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by MGQ View Post
      Millenial here. When I "get up to leave" a car dealership, I'm actually just leaving because I won't be buying a car from you today, or ever again in the future. it's not a negotiation tactic.
      Exactly. Long story short (and I posted another aspect of this experience in the "I'm GM of a dealership, ask me anything" thread), a few family members of mine have bought multiple vehicles over the years from one particular salesman at a local Chevy dealer. I told my cousin I thought a 2.0T Camaro would be a great car for me right now, and said cousin actually spoke to said family salesman and inquired about it (without me knowing), telling the salesman, "Hey, my cousin is looking for a new Camaro and wants to spend $xxx on a lease", blah blah blah. This cousin then relays to me, "Hey I spoke with [the salesman], he told me he can get you into Camaro for that with no money down no problem". So that's why I called the guy in the first place. I mean obviously they'd have to run my credit (which I do have good credit) to get the solid price, but it planted a seed.

When I got there and spoke with this salesman he immediately said, "Yeah, these don't really lease well", and the actual figure when he ran the numbers was close to double what he initially said would be possible, and then came the "There are no incentives/no room to move" stuff. Thanks for wasting both of our time...

06-18-2017 10:03 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by feetsies View Post
      As a dealership employee, not Sales, I can tell you people are *******s. It's actually very rare when you have a customer who is not a *******. I blame it on "The customer is always right" business model. I have never seen so many grown up crybabies in my entire life. Thankfully, I was able to put myself into a position where I don't have to deal with the general public anymore.

I wish car buying was easier. I wish dealers would just list cars at a reasonable price or MSRP with NO haggling. Want it? Here you go. Don't want it? Bye. It would make the experience and transactions 100 times easier for everyone.
      I remember how Saturn had a no haggle approach. Otherwise all I can find near me with no haggling is used car dealers such as CarMax. From what I found here http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...011-story.html Costco, Subaru, Lexus and Tesla don't haggle too now.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

17. Senior Member
      06-18-2017 10:09 PM #42
      You're welcome.

- Tesla.
      Carson beat me to the name drop, but Saturn did this loooong before Tesla.

That said, when I was a kid and worked at a car lot, to 'protect' test drives we'd take teh customer's drivers license. After the test drive we held on to it like an Israeli in Entebbe as some bargaining chip to get them to sign for the new car.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      06-18-2017 10:19 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      After the test drive we held on to it like an Israeli in Entebbe as some bargaining chip to get them to sign for the new car.
      This is exactly the kind of stuff that makes me dread dealers. Not that I've been confronted with this tactic before, but if I ever was and I genuinely just wasn't interested in the car after driving it, and they were playing games by withholding my license it would not end on a positive note.

Vehicles
      2006 R53 MINI / 2016 Frontier Pro-4X
      06-18-2017 10:22 PM #44
      This thread.

Bottom line is people suck. On both sides of the fence.

I can do everything in my power to try and turn the general opinion of salespeople around, but some people just want to fight.

Vehicles
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      06-18-2017 10:27 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      Tried to do this on an M2 and a GT350R, no dice.
      And here's supply and demand at work: if the model is hot and you're in a hot market, if the dealer wants more than MSRP you either step up, attempt to negotiate, or wait.

For any run of the mill Accord, Camry, A4, 3 series, C-Class, Grand Cherokee, etc. it won't be an issue unless the dealer is ridiculous. In which case, walk.

Vehicles
      06-18-2017 10:35 PM #46
      I love shopping for cars, but I hate the buying experience. You have to sit down with someone who pretends he's your friend and is looking out for your best interest. He's probably a nice guy outside the dealership, but his job is to tell you anything and everything that'll get you into a car today, and the customer will tell his salesman anything and everything to lead his on to believe he won't buy a car from him today. It's just a game of lies and it gets old fast.
      I just don't get this. I've bought and sold and traded lots of cars and never once was it a contentious, difficult or time consuming situation. It may be because I'm matter of fact when I show up, or that I'm lucky with the dealers I work with, but I've never had a problem getting a fair deal on any of my cars.

The biggest issue is, I think, the fact that everyone's idea of a "good deal" is different. I value my time, ergo I probably end up paying more than someone else willing to haggle more than I do.

The Tesla model works great for those who value convenience over a deal. But the Tesla model also works for every other brand out there. Of course, if you walk in with a unicorn spec demand or are looking for a special model (eg: Audi RS, BMW M, Merc AMG), your mileage will vary depending on your local market.

Vehicles
      06-18-2017 10:37 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post

Don't overcomplicate it: just pay what's on the sticker. There are lots of car buying services out there and there are lots of dealers who will handle the whole transaction online. My '16 GTI was negotiated entirely via text and I showed up to sign papers and take the car. Painless.

Vehicles
      06-18-2017 10:39 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by feetsies View Post
      I keep coming back to this because I am genuinely confused, not trying to be difficult: what part of writing a check for MSRP is so difficult? Outside of speciality models or limited quantities, 9.9 out of 10 dealers will take that deal in a heartbeat.

24. Senior Member
      06-18-2017 10:55 PM #49
      Travis, do you work for Under Sticker?
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      06-18-2017 10:59 PM #50
      I keep coming back to this because I am genuinely confused, not trying to be difficult: what part of writing a check for MSRP is so difficult? Outside of speciality models or limited quantities, 9.9 out of 10 dealers will take that deal in a heartbeat.
      In my case, the dealer put out a price ($xxxx off) in the window of every car on the lot, and I said to them, "I'll take one at that price", then the games started, then I walked out. I then went and bought a different car. Guess I got lucky with that .1

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast