VWVortex.com - Bought a new 2017 GTI today, manufactured on 9/16!?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Bought a new 2017 GTI today, manufactured on 9/16!?

1. 06-18-2017 05:34 PM #1
      I know I should have looked at this before, but it never even crossed my mind. The car I just bought appears to have been manufactured all the way back in Sept of 16 and evidently sat on the lot for 9 months before I bought it. What do I need to look out for/ should be concerned with?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE, 2013 Jetta TDI - VW Buyback
      06-18-2017 05:40 PM #2
      Not completely true. Although it was manufactured then, it could have taken months to reach the US. Pretty typical. I'd imagine unless you ordered it specifically, it would probably be 4-6 months after manufacture date that most ppl get theirs. Drive it like you stole it and enjoy it. Your under warranty, anything goes wrong, get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 06-18-2017 06:34 PM #3
      Maybe only battery should be affected slightly. Car was just sitting around for a while but shouldn't affect anything long-term though. VW is selling 2015 TDIs as "New" just recently so don't feel so bad. Just wax her immediately and take her in for any and all warranty issues as they come up.

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE, 2007 PASSAT VARIANT 2.0T
      06-18-2017 08:12 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by jtitocci View Post
      Not completely true. Although it was manufactured then, it could have taken months to reach the US. Pretty typical. I'd imagine unless you ordered it specifically, it would probably be 4-6 months after manufacture date that most ppl get theirs. Drive it like you stole it and enjoy it. Your under warranty, anything goes wrong, get it fixed.

I bought my 2016 in late June 2016, with a build date of 4/16. I don't know that it really takes that long to get here from Mexico, it's not all that far.

Not that I believe it has much bearing the car sitting there that long.
      | 2016 GTI SE | 2007 B6 PASSAT 2.0T WAGON | 2001 BMW E46 325I SPORT(SOLD) | 1997 BMW DINAN E36 M3(STILL MISSED) |
      SCOTTSDALE AUTO GLASS GETS THE JOB DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
      WWW.YourAutoGlassGuy.COM

5. 06-18-2017 08:28 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by czr7 View Post
      Maybe only battery should be affected slightly. Car was just sitting around for a while but shouldn't affect anything long-term though. VW is selling 2015 TDIs as "New" just recently so don't feel so bad. Just wax her immediately and take her in for any and all warranty issues as they come up.
      I bought my car in 12/16 and it too was made in 9/16. I did not realize how much it needed a coat of wax until I waxed the car in February (I know, I know). I would not worry one bit about it but do go ahead and do a full wash, clay bar and wax with quality wax to seal in all the goodness. You will forget all about the date on the door in no time.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE, 2013 Jetta TDI - VW Buyback
      06-18-2017 09:30 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by B6TURBOWAGON View Post
      I bought my 2016 in late June 2016, with a build date of 4/16. I don't know that it really takes that long to get here from Mexico, it's not all that far.

Not that I believe it has much bearing the car sitting there that long.
      It's all dependent on the shipping schedule. I ship things often via shipping container to and from China. If you hit the end of a ship, and get your container on it, your golden. If you don't, and your waiting for the next ship, it could be weeks before that ship leaves, and then if your on the bottom, weeks before your unpacked. But yes, it's all dependent, just mean that seeing a car 9months off build date on the lot, is not uncommon, and should not warrant any cause for concern, aside from a good wax, as suggested.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado, 06 GTI, 15 Sportwagen TDI, 17 Alltrack
      06-18-2017 11:19 PM #7
      VWs don't change but every five years or so. Plus cars aren't like vegetables. They are made in far away places, shipped, and stored before they get to us. That takes awhile. I just bought one of those 2015 TDIs Sportwagens that just got released. It had 92 miles on the odometer, mostly from transporting it between off-site storage and back. It is new not because it came with a full warranty, but because it is new down to the smell.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Tech/DSG
      06-18-2017 11:47 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by jtitocci View Post
      Not completely true. Although it was manufactured then, it could have taken months to reach the US. Pretty typical. I'd imagine unless you ordered it specifically, it would probably be 4-6 months after manufacture date that most ppl get theirs.
      I would be surprised if VW (Mexico) kept months of car inventory. If I can get a Golf R was in my hands in under two months from the day it was built in Germany (including sitting at port for two weeks, trans-Atlantic shipping, two weeks in port again then rail across Canada) you guys can get a GTi in a month or two, easy.

That said, other than the mileage [i.e., not a tester], battery [which any decent dealer will have a routine of running the cars or topping up with a charger] and checking the paint for defects [as it's sat in the open for a while and been washed many times], I wouldn't be concerned about a 9 month old car. One never knows how long a car sits on a lot and how many dealers had it before if it was transferred/swapped.
      Last edited by isoprene; 06-18-2017 at 11:52 PM.

9. 06-19-2017 12:07 AM #9
      Delete

10. 06-19-2017 04:19 PM #10
      I had 6 month wait for ordered car

11. 06-20-2017 09:24 PM #12
      Just bought mine in May it's an Oct 2016 build. Give it a good wax and stop worrying about it...

For advertising information click HERE