VWVortex.com - Brake pedal to start disable.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake pedal to start disable.

Vehicles
      MK7 Sportwagen TSI, mk5 GTI Dsg, Nissan hardbody 4x4, HPI Baja 5T
      06-18-2017 06:25 PM #1
      Ok, so I just traded in the mk6 Jetta for a MK7 Sportwagen. The Sportwagen has a standard key ignition and automatic transmission.

Is it possible to disable the "press brake to start" feature with VCDS?
      I've owned every generation of dub and never had to press the brake pedal to start.
      I understand why it is there, and it would make more sense if it were a button start.

Vehicles
      Sportwagen4M 17 - A4 Q 11 - 323GTX 88
      06-18-2017 09:13 PM #2
      I've asked this and told no. But there has to be a way. On an auto or DSG it is redundant and not necessary. I'm with ya on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      signature series

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf Alltrack SE
      06-18-2017 11:32 PM #3
      Look up unintended acceleration cases from a few years ago.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GSW TSI S 5MT
      06-19-2017 12:59 AM #4
      Standard for all cars for years now.

People install aftermarket remote starts and have to find a hack to get around it, but I see no good reason to. Can't shift from P w/o foot on the brake, so might as well keep it there while you start it.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW 4Motion
      06-19-2017 09:42 AM #5
      Probably requires a firmware flash.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Alltrack S, 2015 eGolf SEL
      06-19-2017 11:33 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by jiffyjetta View Post
      I've owned every generation of dub and never had to press the brake pedal to start.

I understand why it is there, and it would make more sense if it were a button start.
      Even though the S trim doesn't have push button start, the circuitry is all there. How do I know? Because you don't have to hold the key in the start position until the engine fires up; just turn it there and release. That's why I think VW makes you do it even on key-start models.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Alltrack S, 2015 eGolf SEL
      06-19-2017 12:02 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Palouse View Post
      But making you press the brake in order to start the car wouldn't have prevented that because you cannot start an automatic unless it is in park or neutral. And you cannot shift out of park without pressing the brake first. If you shut off the car while in neutral you cannot take the key out.

Vehicles
      06-19-2017 01:20 PM #8
      I am aware of that issue. All potential safety issues aside, I'd really like to disable this. Maybe APR can make this an option with their tunes. I would gladly pay top dollar to remove this feature.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW 4Motion
      06-19-2017 01:31 PM #9
      It becomes second nature in a short period of time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

10. 06-19-2017 08:05 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
      But making you press the brake in order to start the car wouldn't have prevented that because you cannot start an automatic unless it is in park or neutral. And you cannot shift out of park without pressing the brake first. If you shut off the car while in neutral you cannot take the key out.
      It's completely redundant. There is no legitimate safety purpose for this on an automatic.

If anyone figures out how to disable it, please share.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 TDI Jetta Wagon, 2004 Golf R32
      06-19-2017 10:05 PM #11
      I am aware of that issue. All potential safety issues aside, I'd really like to disable this. Maybe APR can make this an option with their tunes. I would gladly pay top dollar to remove this feature.
      I highly doubt this has anything to do with the engine ECM. I'm willing to bet that the Central Electronics is what requires it. Perhaps that can have some coding done to it to remove the feature.

Vehicles
      06-19-2017 11:13 PM #12
      How is it related to starting a car in park? We're not looking for the selector lever / pedal defeat here.

signature series

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Alltrack SE
      06-20-2017 10:01 AM #13
      I'm sorry. I just don't get it - what's the big deal about having a foot on the brake while cranking? In the old days, you'd need it to goose the gas petal while cranking, but those days are long gone with electronic ignition and fuel injection.

You sit down, put your foot on the brake and release it after cranking and shifting into gear. It's not even an extra step.
      2013 Passat TDI SE
      2010 Escape Limited
      1998 Ram SLT Magnum V8

Vehicles
      06-20-2017 10:08 AM #14
      Winter.
      Brush off car door upper.
      Open door.
      Insert key.
      Crank to start.
      Set defrost.
      Close door.
      Brush off car.
      Open door.
      Get in car with some heat and defrost working for you.

signature series

15. 06-20-2017 10:17 AM #15
      Here's the reason for the foot on the brake.
      Sit in the car, push button - That is just like rotating your key to the ACC position.
      Sit in car, push brake and push button - That's just like what everyone here has been doing since they started driving, rotate the key past the ACC position and right into the starter activation.

Since pretty much every manufacturer has every car set up for push button today, the ones left with the key is just a way to make some people happy because they don't trust the push button even though going to start is no different than pushing a button because the ECU takes over starter function.

So, for a push button car, it would make absolutely no sense to eliminate the push brake to start because if that was the case there would be 10 threads with the title:
      "How do I get my GSW to ACC mode" or "Why do I have to push my button twice to start?"

The key start GSW's are just a carryover from the past and we all know it'll be gone soon. I assume that if it's a real pain to have to start a GSW with your foot on the brake, then there must be 100 other items that make it too hard to operate. Eliminating the push brake to start is just another way to figure out a solution to a problem nobody has. If VW does it one way, then let's figure out the way to do the opposite.

I do suggest that you never buy any other type of car because you will have to suffer with the push brake to start due to no VCDS for that brand. Never buy a French car because you'll end up being admitted to a nut house due to their way of car operation.

Back in the mid 80's when I installed a bazillion push brake to get out of park on Audi 5000's, you would have thought that it was going to make car operation impossible. Thank goodness there were no forums back then.
      Last edited by jjvincent; 06-20-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Vehicles
      06-20-2017 10:36 AM #16
      Wrong answer. Never press brake to start my other 5 cars why start now?

There is a real need. Read above post. .

signature series

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Alltrack SEL
      06-20-2017 11:25 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by logicallychallenged View Post
      Winter.
      Open door.
      Insert key.
      Crank to start.
      Set defrost.
      Close door.
      Brush off car.
      Open door.

I ran into this issue on my first keyless car. I ended up using the brush to push the brake while leaning in to hit the start button.

18. 06-20-2017 12:37 PM #18
      Winter.
      Open door.
      Insert key.
      Crank to start.
      Set defrost.
      Close door.
      Brush off car.
      Open door.

That's one. The other I have encountered:

Wife wants to wait in car while I do something.
      Takes keys, gets in passenger side.
      Wants to start car to either get heat or A/C going
      Can't because of stupid, redundant brake pedal interlock

Pushbutton or not, if the car is in park there is no reason to require the brake press to start it. None. It could easily be coded out on auto trans cars but it is not.

No other car I have owned had this "feature" including my wife's 2011 Jetta with a manual transmission. It has a clutch interlock (which doesn't even provide the level of idiot proofing that the trans interlock on an auto does) and somehow no one has suffered a grievous injury. Imagine that.

19. 06-20-2017 01:12 PM #19
      Wrong answer. Never press brake to start my other 5 cars why start now?

There is a real need. Read above post. .

I think that a long screw driver between the seat and brake would then be suffice when you are parked (like you do when you want to check the brake lights but you are alone and it's really bright out). Think of it like the club but for the brake.
      Last edited by jjvincent; 06-20-2017 at 01:20 PM.

20. 06-20-2017 01:19 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Jelly Donut View Post
      That's one. The other I have encountered:

Wife wants to wait in car while I do something.
      Takes keys, gets in passenger side.
      Wants to start car to either get heat or A/C going
      Can't because of stupid, redundant brake pedal interlock

Pushbutton or not, if the car is in park there is no reason to require the brake press to start it. None. It could easily be coded out on auto trans cars but it is not.

No other car I have owned had this "feature" including my wife's 2011 Jetta with a manual transmission. It has a clutch interlock (which doesn't even provide the level of idiot proofing that the trans interlock on an auto does) and somehow no one has suffered a grievous injury. Imagine that.
      I had a rental car and it's better yet. I could push the key fob and it'll start with me not even being close to the car. Only thing that really bothered me and was something that turned out to be a Defcon 1 problem was that I had to push the keyfob button twice for it to start. Not like a click, click but a double click. So sometimes it became a like 4 clicks before it would start. All I know is that my thumb was sore but I was happy that I didn't have to open the door or even put my foot on the brake.

At least it wasn't when my shin was all bruised up because I was kicking the pulp out of the rear bumper of some minivan I rented. I was trying to get the rear hatch open only to realize that it didn't have that feature.
      Last edited by jjvincent; 06-20-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Vehicles
      06-21-2017 01:07 AM #21
      I knew it was a mistake to post a simple question. Some people just cannot simply answer a question. I never asked for your opinion on removing this. I never asked for your approval to remove this. I never asked why I had this. Anyways, I'm done. I'll do some exploring with Vagcom tomorrow post if I find anything.

22. 06-21-2017 09:43 AM #22
      I knew it was a mistake to post a simple question. Some people just cannot simply answer a question. I never asked for your opinion on removing this. I never asked for your approval to remove this. I never asked why I had this. Anyways, I'm done. I'll do some exploring with Vagcom tomorrow post if I find anything.
      Please do. I researched it a while back and came up empty.

23. 06-21-2017 09:57 AM #23
      Well said.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf Sportwagen SE
      06-21-2017 11:06 AM #24
      I'd love to do this also. My wife's 2012 Jeep, I can insert the key, stand outside or sit in the passenger seat and start the car. No reason this car or any automatic or SMG transmission car can't be the same with no compromise in safety. You can't shift into drive without a foot on the brake pedal, you can't start the car if it's already in gear. There is no danger other than wasting gas.

It's amazing they still let people own stick cars where you can get out with the car in neutral and not put the parking brake on. You can actually push the car or let it roll down a hill! I've had a couple of older manual cars from the late 70s and early eighties where you could try and start it with the car in gear and it would lurch forward.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI / BMW K75s /1987 Syncro Adventurewagen
      06-21-2017 11:18 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
      It's amazing they still let people own stick cars where you can get out with the car in neutral and not put the parking brake on.
      My garage has a slight tilt to it and I've had mien roll a little when it's in neutral running. From many years owning a SAAB I put them in reverse before taking the key out.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast