VWVortex.com - Leaf blower to dry your car
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaf blower to dry your car

1. 06-19-2017 10:39 AM #1
      I am sure this has been posted before but just a tip for drying your car. Bust out the leaf blower! It does an amazing job and virtually no water spots. It is especially great for the grill area and wheels. The more time you spend blowing there is hardly any shammy work left.

Just be careful not to smack the car with the blower, heck man try it.

2. 06-19-2017 11:11 AM #2
      I only have a blow/vacuum combo and I wonder if i should try... i can only assume SOME debris would be in there and fly out and hit the car -.- but i really really hate the water spots right after a wash

3. 06-19-2017 11:18 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by strawbewwy View Post
      I only have a blow/vacuum combo and I wonder if i should try... i can only assume SOME debris would be in there and fly out and hit the car -.- but i really really hate the water spots right after a wash
      run it for a bit before using it. my blower is a vacuum as well. if I'm lazy I run the blower. I usually pull the car into the garage right after I wash and rinse and hand dry with waffle weave mf and some onr diluted to clay lube for some lubricity.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R Oryx White
      06-19-2017 11:18 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by strawbewwy View Post
      I have one of those. If you have used the blower in vacuum mode, yes, I would be concerned about reversing directions. I just bought a lightweight cordless electric blower (only) for the in-between yard cleanup jobs and intend on using it on the car too.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 DBP 2dr Golf R
      06-19-2017 11:19 AM #5
      I'd make sure there are substantial filters to keep debris out. Although expensive, there are blowers made specifically for drying cars with substantial power and good filters.

I'd never use a vacuum for this purpose since there job is to suck in debris and I always see a cloud of dust coming out of them.

Dude's "Build"

Vehicles
      2015 Golf R Oryx
      06-19-2017 11:20 AM #6
      You guys think that debris is coming out of the vacuum at higher speeds than driving the car?
      2015 R - DCC/DSG - APR Stg II (93HO) + TCU tune - APR DP - Miltek Valved Non-Res - Uni IC - AFe Stg2 Intake - RSe10 + PSS
      *SIG REDACTED* (for the delicate eyes of those who cant scroll faster)

7. 06-19-2017 11:30 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
      You guys think that debris is coming out of the vacuum at higher speeds than driving the car?
      ^^This! If you hold it in your hands it's not like it's going to suck up any debris anyhow. Plus, I have a dedicated gas blower, not a vacuum/blower combo that might have stuff stuck in there from using it as a vacuum getting dislodged and shoots out. I love the confused looks I get from folks when I blow off my car. 🤣 I actually use it more for my car then my yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R Oryx White
      06-19-2017 11:49 AM #8
      Definitely! My new electric blower is rated at 120mph!!

The vacuum/blower I use to suck up tree litter from our rock covered yards (in AZ) has metal blades. Hell of a noise when the rocks go through and I''m sure crap gets stuck in there.

Just think, In my case, I could actually give myself a BETTER rock chip from the vac/blower - possibly chipped glass!

9. 06-19-2017 11:53 AM #9
      just a little common sense is all it takes guys, it works well.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf R Oryx
      06-19-2017 11:53 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ssaylor View Post
      Definitely! My new electric blower is rated at 120mph!!

The vacuum/blower I use to suck up tree litter from our rock covered yards (in AZ) has metal blades. Hell of a noise when the rocks go through and I''m sure crap gets stuck in there.

Just think, In my case, I could actually give myself a BETTER rock chip from the vac/blower - possibly chipped glass!
      Thats wild, I dont even own one, so it was a genuine question.

If the effective drying happens at those speeds, i would definitely go for one of the filtered units, sand blasting my car is not on my to-do list.
      2015 R - DCC/DSG - APR Stg II (93HO) + TCU tune - APR DP - Miltek Valved Non-Res - Uni IC - AFe Stg2 Intake - RSe10 + PSS
      *SIG REDACTED* (for the delicate eyes of those who cant scroll faster)

11. 06-19-2017 11:54 AM #11
      Sgueegee, leaf blower, then towel. Takes just minutes. A leaf blower isn't going to throw debris, nor does it need filters.

12. 06-19-2017 11:54 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
      Sgueegee, leaf blower, then towel. Takes just minutes. A leaf blower isn't going to throw debris, nor does it need filters.

+1

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R - LSG
      06-19-2017 12:27 PM #13
      Been doing this for a while... if your car is protected well (wax/sealant), it blows off in no time at all. Then just a bit of spray wax and a good MF towel for whatever is left.
      2016 LSG Golf R - APR Stage 1 (V2.3 93 Octane HIGH TQ) | SB Stage 2 Daily clutch | APR short shift kit | BFI Stage 1 Engine/Trans Mounts | 034 Dogbone Insert | CTS Turbo Inlet Pipe | K&N filter

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf R
      06-19-2017 01:03 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by RCTOYS View Post
      I am sure this has been posted before but just a tip for drying your car. Bust out the leaf blower! It does an amazing job and virtually no water spots. It is especially great for the grill area and wheels. The more time you spend blowing there is hardly any shammy work left.

Just be careful not to smack the car with the blower, heck man try it.
      Yup, I have the EGO 56V electric blower (575 cfpm). I use it all the time when washing my vehicle. I do use the California Jelly Blade on the roof, windshield, and hood. It gets rid of 80% of the water. The rest I blow off. Works like a miracle in avoiding water spots.

APR: Stage 2 ECU+TCU, CAI, DP, IC, Milltek exhaust (valved), ED Springs, Neuspeed 6-piston BBK w/TTRS Rotors

15. Member
      Vehicles
      16 Golf R
      06-19-2017 01:07 PM #15
      i got blower in my garage two works great i hardley ever hand dry.

Air Force Master Blaster its called..

has two 5hp motors..

so you turn one on..if you need more air the second :0 also its warm air.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf R
      06-19-2017 01:07 PM #16
      My blower shoots air at 142mph. Hard to do that on local roads :-)

APR: Stage 2 ECU+TCU, CAI, DP, IC, Milltek exhaust (valved), ED Springs, Neuspeed 6-piston BBK w/TTRS Rotors

17. 06-19-2017 01:47 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by gordonf238 View Post
      My blower shoots air at 142mph. Hard to do that on local roads :-)

so it will do a great job blowing off water after a wash.

18. 06-19-2017 01:48 PM #18
      until you try it you won't ever know.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 DBP 2dr Golf R
      06-19-2017 04:08 PM #19
      No. But blowing dust on a wet car you just cleaned is stupid.

Dude's "Build"

20. Semi-n00b
      06-19-2017 04:18 PM #20
      Small battery powered leaf blower for the wheels, grill area, door jams if I remember. Several really nice microfiber towels for drying the paint.

Vehicles
      '17 R DSG LSG
      06-19-2017 05:19 PM #21
      I use a STIHL BR380 myself....

'17 R Limestone Gray Metallic/DSG

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      06-19-2017 05:33 PM #22
      Yep. Squeegee, then my little Makita blower before dyeing with microfiber towels and a little spray wax. This really cuts down on the first drive water streaks.

Vehicles
      2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R DSG w/ Tech Package
      06-19-2017 06:10 PM #23
      Any recommended cordless electric and rechargeable blowers?

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R - Lapiz
      06-19-2017 06:31 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by 2016vwturbo View Post
      ^^This! If you hold it in your hands it's not like it's going to suck up any debris anyhow. Plus, I have a dedicated gas blower, not a vacuum/blower combo that might have stuff stuck in there from using it as a vacuum getting dislodged and shoots out. I love the confused looks I get from folks when I blow off my car. 🤣 I actually use it more for my car then my yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would NOT recommend using a GAS blower on your car if the discharge from the 2 cycle engine is routed through the blower system.

I have been using a small electric blower that I purchased only to use on the car. Works well enough to get the large quantities of water off. Micro Fiber the rest of the car dry after that.
      2017 Golf R DSG w/ DCC / NAV / DAP (Unitronic Stage 2 ECU / TCU) Unitronic MQB Intercooler, Unitronic MQB AWD Downpipe. -->Build Thread<-- Project Sleepy R (Ultimate OEM+)

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      7R DSG Tech
      06-19-2017 06:32 PM #25
      So to go in a completely different direction... Another option is to use de-ionized water. Basically rinse the car with this as the last step and let air dry. Works really well with no water marks left. No risk of blowing debris on the the car and it also reaches all the tight spots. Less work than blow drying too.

You used to be able to buy Mr. Clean Auto Dry with replaceable filters. But it is NLA.

Here is a kit that can hook up to the hose... http://www.autogeek.net/waterfilterkit2.html

Just use it for the rinse with a mist spray and it lasts for a long time.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast