VWVortex.com - Can I see some pics of DIRTY Lapiz Blue cars? Help deciding...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Can I see some pics of DIRTY Lapiz Blue cars? Help deciding...

1. n00b
      06-19-2017 11:03 AM #1
      Does anyone have any photos of their Lapiz Blue cars when they are dirty? I know it's an odd request...

I'm looking at possibly buying an '18 R and am considering color options in the mean time. I think I've narrowed it down to silver or blue. The car will be, unfortunately, living it's life outside (I'm lucky enough just to have a dedicated parking spot in this city, garage or not), so I'm curious how the blue looks when it's not immaculate, and how quickly it gets dirty. My last car was a dark silver grey, which did OK with the build up of grime, but I know dark silver is about the best color for that. How does the blue compare to, say, black or white cars? I'd love to see pics of your blue cars when they haven't been washed, and any tips or stories about how hard to keep them clean would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Lapiz Blue DSG/DCC JB4 Map 2, 1997 4Runner Limited elocker/3" lift/32s
      06-19-2017 12:41 PM #2
      Oh, this is near and dear to me since I own a Blue R that spends 99.9% of it's life outside. It's not a terrible color when it's dirty, but it definitely doesn't hide it well like white does. However, I feel like your climate might dictate how dirty your car appears. For example, when I used to visit my brother in Seattle, I'd remark at how damn new all of the cars looked because of the lack of dust in the air and the amount of persistent and heavy rain. I live in Denver, and it's disgusting. It's very dry here, tons of wind, little precip, lots of plants and trees that you park under, and it all translates into your car staying clean for maybe 3 days after a wash. Honestly, I'll wash my car and come out the next morning and there's a visible layer of crap on it already. I make sure not to park under trees, but there are enough around that their debris makes its way to my car always. My favorite is when the winds kick up before and after a short rainstorm. It just makes EVERYTHING stick to the car. Oh, and I wax mine about once every few weeks after I notice water beading less. /rant

Anyyyyway, I'll take a pic shortly and post it up and let you decide. I'd say if you're going to park outside all of the time, get a quality aftermarket clear coat treatment. I regret not doing that.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Tech/DSG
      06-19-2017 12:45 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by LoneMeme View Post
      For example, when I used to visit my brother in Seattle, I'd remark at how damn new all of the cars looked because of the lack of dust in the air and the amount of persistent and heavy rain.
      I'm in a similar climate... the problem with our MK7s is that the rear gets filthy after even a short drive in the rain and just gets worse every time I drive in the wet. I got in the habit of stopping at the wand wash near my house 2-3 times a month just to blast off the grit.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      17 2.0t, 16 2.0t R
      06-19-2017 12:53 PM #4
      Will post some when I get home. It's been at least 3 months since last wash.

5. 06-19-2017 12:54 PM #5
      Just wipe down the wheels each night and forget the rest.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Lapiz Blue DSG/DCC JB4 Map 2, 1997 4Runner Limited elocker/3" lift/32s
      06-19-2017 02:54 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by TaxMan5 View Post
      Will post some when I get home. It's been at least 3 months since last wash.
      Dude, that's incredible! Do you have any sort of treatment on the paint or anything, or just wax it a bit and good to go? That thing lives outside?! In Texas!? I would have thought Texas a bit...dustier than that.

Anyway, OP, here are my pics. This was after a bit of a weird weather drive up to 14,000ft though, so it's not always this dirty, but it's usually about this dirty without the obvious water spots.

It's still a great looking color though, and if you'll notice in the first photo you don't really see the water spots until you zoom in. I definitely get complements from friends (sometimes strangers too) on how good the car looks, even when I think it's dirty. I think as owners we obsess a bit...

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      06-19-2017 04:25 PM #7
      This was one of the main reasons I decided to go with the LSG. I was getting fed up with trying to keep my black and dark blue cars looking clean.

I have an LSG R with Neuspeed gunmetal wheels. Great combo for the lazy person! The only complaint is the excessive brake dust on the front wheels coming from the stock pads. I plan on swapping my existing pads with low dust ceramic ones, which should take care of that problem.
      Last edited by Amiroquai; 06-19-2017 at 04:29 PM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      17 2.0t, 16 2.0t R
      06-19-2017 05:03 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by LoneMeme View Post
      Dude, that's incredible! Do you have any sort of treatment on the paint or anything, or just wax it a bit and good to go? That thing lives outside?! In Texas!? I would have thought Texas a bit...dustier than that.
      No treatment, no wax. Once in a while it gets enough bugs on it that I will wash it (about once a year). I am in Houston area, so we get plenty of rain that keeps things clean.

Pics:

9. n00b
      06-19-2017 05:18 PM #9
      Thanks for all the pics and posts! I still really love the blue color, even with some dirt on it. Now, if VW gives the R Iridium gray for 2018, that might make it a tough choice for me...

LoneMeme, I am in a similar environment, especially the particular spot the car would live. Lots of dust flying around, including from trucks and the like. So your pics are super helpful!

Now back to mulling over this color choice...

10. 06-19-2017 05:47 PM #10
      Fuhgeddaboudit! My fellow NYC bro!! It's a hellhole and let's live like it is!!!

I clean my car once in a bluemoon because the dealer offer lifetime free wash. Then I spray a thick layer of wax and let it dry into a hard-white-ish-swirly-shell

Vehicles
      2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R DSG w/ Tech Package
      06-19-2017 06:04 PM #11
      If you live somewhere with lots of rain, I urge you not to get Lapiz Blue. With our cars being hatchbacks and inherently getting dirty easily at the back when it rains, Lapiz is a PITA to keep looking clean.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      7R DSG Tech
      06-19-2017 06:13 PM #12
      Yup. Very noticeable when dirty. The hatch in particular is obvious.

Similar to a black car I had a while ago. Most recent was a silver B5S4. I did not realize how dirty it was until it got washed. Hid the dirt so well.

Also, I find the Lapiz to be the softest paint out of all the cars I have owned.

Still really like the colour though.

13. 06-19-2017 10:25 PM #13
      I am searching for an R and this thread is interesting. I was leaning towards blue.

In my experience white shows the least dirt. Which of the other R colors shows dirt less than the blue? What about Limestone grey? Looks like a very cool color!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      06-19-2017 10:51 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by KO7 View Post
      If you live somewhere with lots of rain, I urge you not to get Lapiz Blue. With our cars being hatchbacks and inherently getting dirty easily at the back when it rains, Lapiz is a PITA to keep looking clean.
      You think that's bad try owning a black R.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 6MT Golf R DCC; 3x BMW 1-Series; 2000 Clownshoe
      06-20-2017 12:20 AM #15
      Hope this helps!

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 GTI Fahrenheit, 2017 Golf R DSG w/DCC
      06-20-2017 07:30 AM #16
      Fiance's family lives out in the country so the R gets to stretch its AWD legs occasionally.

Last edited by Arminho87; 06-20-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Vehicles
      2015 R, 1995 Cabrio, 2003 1.8T 5MT Passat (stage 1), 1966 Deluxe Bus
      06-20-2017 08:53 AM #17
      This about as dirty as mine has ever been. This was after a visit to the pumpkin patch.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R - Lapiz
      06-21-2017 09:26 AM #18
      This thread made my heart sad for about 2 min. I wish the paint was not as soft as warm butter. Also, birds in PR like to find freshly washed cars and crap upon them. Murphy is a bitch.
      2017 Golf R DSG w/ DCC / NAV / DAP (Unitronic Stage 2 ECU / TCU) Unitronic MQB Intercooler, Unitronic MQB AWD Downpipe. -->Build Thread<-- Project Sleepy R (Ultimate OEM+)

For advertising information click HERE