The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was going to buy a Camaro, then I rented one for a day

Vehicles
      2006 Miata
      06-19-2017 02:30 PM #1
      For some reason I cannot edit my previous thread
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...SS-back-2-back

I rented the Camaro for a day, was not able to get a SS but had a RS. I drove it for about 5 hours or so throughout the day

Observations:
      * interior space was ok, I was fine with it
      * non premium sound system was fine, no issues
      * non 1LE seats sucked, very little bolster support and crappy lower back support(after the first hour of driving I knew if I was getting a Camaro it would have to be a 1LE with Recaros)
      * Visibility seemed fine, no problem merging or anything like that
      * There is no place to put my god damn phone....wtf

The more I drove it, the more I realized exactly how the visibility sucked. The small windows made it really hard to gauge the cars dimensions, it made it harder to drive in the city, harder to park, I felt like I needed to be more vigilant and concentrate harder to stay in the lane while driving.

I dropped off the car and was going to start looking for a 1LE, it was a compromise but I was willing to make it. On the drive from the rentacar I drove the wife's GTI and had a complete change of heart, during the drive I decided I don't want a Camaro anymore because of the little things that add up, the crappy interior storage space and the visibility.

I am going to my number #2 car on the list, will be buying a Focus RS.

moral of the story: a test drive is good to rule cars out, but if you can rent for a day before buying.

Vehicles
      E46 320, MK IV GTI
      06-19-2017 02:38 PM #2
      What is it with you Ford Focus Drivers?

I test drove a Jaguar, but Ford Focus way better car
      I drove a Camaro, but I am going with a Focus
      I drove a Ferrari, think I'll stick with my Ford Focus
      I drove an Audi S4, not even close in quality of my Ford Focus.

Vehicles
      2006 Miata
      06-19-2017 02:44 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post

I am not a Focus driver since I don't own one yet

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-19-2017 02:48 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      I dropped off the car and was going to start looking for a 1LE, it was a compromise but I was willing to make it. On the drive from the rentacar I drove the wife's GTI and had a complete change of heart, during the drive I decided I don't want a Camaro anymore because of the little things that add up, the crappy interior storage space and the visibility.

moral of the story: a test drive is good to rule cars out, but if you can rent for a day before buying.
      On the one hand, if there are issues you notice after spending a few hours in a car, it's likely that they will become even bigger issues after owning the car for a few months. So your advice is generally good. On the other side, the issues with visibility is kind of odd, IMO. I owned a crossfire for several years and I would put visibility to be the same or worse than the camaro. Probably worse since the side windows are very short, the C pillar is gigantic, and the rear window while long, is fairly narrow. If you adjust the mirrors properly and learn to trust them, you won't have a problem with the car.

For me, the issue with the camaro and mustang is about the same---there's too much metal around you, the interior is too small relative to how much sheet metal there is, and the seating position (at least for me) is way too low. Having said that, those characteristics is a big part of the american performance/pony car experience. Some people love it or are fine with it, I realized I wasn't after several years. It's a lot of the same reason you won't see me owning a 6-series, for example. It's just too big of a car for something with a performance bend.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU
      06-19-2017 02:48 PM #5
      I dunno if I has an SS 1LE the last thing I would be worried about is stuff behind me and where to put my phone. There'd be too much tire smoke to see anything anyway
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Vehicles
      2006 Miata
      06-19-2017 02:54 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      On the one hand, if there are issues you notice after spending a few hours in a car, it's likely that they will become even bigger issues after owning the car for a few months. So your advice is generally good. On the other side, the issues with visibility is kind of odd, IMO. I owned a crossfire for several years and I would put visibility to be the same or worse than the camaro. Probably worse since the side windows are very short, the C pillar is gigantic, and the rear window while long, is fairly narrow. If you adjust the mirrors properly and learn to trust them, you won't have a problem with the car.

For me, the issue with the camaro and mustang is about the same---there's too much metal around you, the interior is too small relative to how much sheet metal there is, and the seating position (at least for me) is way too low. Having said that, those characteristics is a big part of the american performance/pony car experience. Some people love it or are fine with it, I realized I wasn't after several years. It's a lot of the same reason you won't see me owning a 6-series, for example. It's just too big of a car for something with a performance bend.
      You might be right, it's hard to explain. I didn't have problems merging or with blind spots, but I just felt that I have a hard time seeing the edges of the car, sort of sounds like what you said about too much metal relative to cabin.

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo V70, 2017 Volvo XC60 T6
      06-19-2017 02:55 PM #7

I rented the Camaro for a day, was not able to get a SS but had a RS. I drove it for about 5 hours or so throughout the day

Observations:
      * non 1LE seats sucked, very little bolster support and crappy lower back support(after the first hour of driving I knew if I was getting a Camaro it would have to be a 1LE with Recaros)

The more I drove it, the more I realized exactly how the visibility sucked. The small windows made it really hard to gauge the cars dimensions, it made it harder to drive in the city, harder to park, I felt like I needed to be more vigilant and concentrate harder to stay in the lane while driving.

Why not a Mustang? Has much better visibility than the Camaro.

8. Member
      06-19-2017 02:55 PM #8

Observations:

You are a Miata driver. Chances are you simply prefer cars of a similar size and vein.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      '17 Accord Sport SE 6MT & '12 Honda Pilot EX-L Family Truckster
      06-19-2017 02:58 PM #9

I guess Ford Focus > everything else

Vehicles
      '12 FJ Cruiser 6MT, '15 Triumph ST3
      06-19-2017 03:03 PM #10
      If you want to see bad visibility, drive an FJ Cruiser. I pretty much just command the road out of blindness.

Vehicles
      2006 Miata
      06-19-2017 03:04 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 66Satellite View Post
      Why not a Mustang? Has much better visibility than the Camaro.
      My previous thread covers the reason for not wanting the Mustang, basically it didn't drive that great.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post
      You are a Miata driver. Chances are you simply prefer cars of a similar size and vein.
      Maybe, but I certainly didn't think so, at least it didn't feel that way on the test drive.

Vehicles
      2013 WRX Hatch; Hyundai Veracruz
      06-19-2017 03:46 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      I guess Ford Focus > everything else
      Well, obviously except for something that can nevar lose.

13. 06-19-2017 03:52 PM #13
      I always have a place to put my phone because I have pockets. Personally don't get that kind of complaint. In today's modern cars there's no reason for your phone to be out with bluetooth and apple car/android auto.

Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1963 356
      06-19-2017 03:53 PM #14

It would appear that, like the GTI, the Focus RS seems to be class neutral meaning people of all backgrounds are buying the thing. At the end of the day, a fun and practical car is valued by all.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      '04 Honda Recon 250ES
      06-19-2017 04:07 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by bfielder32087 View Post
      I always have a place to put my phone because I have pockets. Personally don't get that kind of complaint. In today's modern cars there's no reason for your phone to be out with bluetooth and apple car/android auto.
      I don't like leaving my phone in my pocket for fear of heat/radiation having a negative effect on my boys.
      24-49

Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      What you lack in obsessive compulsions you make up for in debauchery.

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      06-19-2017 04:10 PM #16
      So you changed your mind on the SS 1LE based on the rental-spec V6, and decided to get a Focus RS after driving a GTI?
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      06-19-2017 04:13 PM #17
      The eye roll emoji at the end completely ruined the logic and decency of this comment.

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      06-19-2017 04:14 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      So you changed your mind on the SS 1LE based on the rental-spec V6, and decided to get a Focus RS after driving a GTI?
      Camero: "I don't like cars shaped like this one."

GTI: "I like cars shaped like this one."

Checks out.

Vehicles
      A fast car, a slower SUV
      06-19-2017 04:16 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      To be fair, all his concerns/dislikes aren't fixed by a different trim/level package. He likes the size feel of something like the GTI after being back behind the wheel of one, so he is going to his second choice which is the Focus RS.

I get his point. I have a Camaro. You have to be willing to put up with the lack of visibility with this car in order to enjoy it. Some people don't care to and I don't blame them for it. The sight lines suck if you're doing anything that requires precision to avoid curbing a rim, or scraping a front splitter.
      Last edited by RollingInDubs; 06-19-2017 at 04:20 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      I shall continue carrying the torch for old school muscle while you lay down for the new deities like Automaticus (the god of clutchless ahifting), and Suspensionum (the patron saint of neutral handling).

Vehicles
      '17 Scat Pack Manuel / '01 Camaro SS Manuel
      06-19-2017 04:17 PM #20
      Then how can I text if my phone is in my pocket.

The challenger is a bus and does not have a single cubby space in the front. It does have a tiny dent in the transmission tunnel to put a door opener? and that is it. The door does not even have a proper pocket on it. Has a cup holder in the front edge (why are these there? the center console is enough for a driver and passenger). So now my gun resides in the glove box. My phone has to be between my legs or thrown into the passenger seat. Or in the door cup holder but not if I am charging it. And there is plenty of space in the center stack to make a cubby, not sure why they didn't plan better.

Seriously could not find a 6.5" x 1" space to put a cubby to hold a phone?

Oh, looks like they only accommodate women challenger drivers.

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      06-19-2017 04:20 PM #21
      It's an extremely normal complaint due to the number of people who don't like having all that **** in their pockets in the first place. iPhone's are ****ing huge these days and keeping it in my pocket is uncomfortable, and it usually ends up sliding out and falling under the seat.

And for those reasons, I'm out.

Vehicles
      A fast car, a slower SUV
      06-19-2017 04:24 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by George Bluth View Post
      It's an extremely normal complaint due to the number of people who don't like having all that **** in their pockets in the first place. iPhone's are ****ing huge these days and keeping it in my pocket is uncomfortable, and it usually ends up sliding out and falling under the seat.

And for those reasons, I'm out.
      I do have to laugh. A lady friend tried putting her phone on the wireless charging port on my Camaro. (it rests on the back of the center console.)

That lasted all of fifteen seconds until I nailed the throttle and her phone rocketed to the back seat like a scalded cat.

So yeah I just put mine in the cubby of the center console. Out of sight and mind.
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      I shall continue carrying the torch for old school muscle while you lay down for the new deities like Automaticus (the god of clutchless ahifting), and Suspensionum (the patron saint of neutral handling).

23. Member
      06-19-2017 04:27 PM #23
      There literally hundreds of these on the market of varying type, magnetic or otherwise which you can use. How is this a problem? Besides if you are like most people and use your phone as a GPS, you should be using one of these anyway.

24. Member
      06-19-2017 04:28 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by George Bluth View Post
      The eye roll emoji at the end completely ruined the logic and decency of this comment.
      Not really. But whatever.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU
      06-19-2017 04:46 PM #25
      There literally hundreds of these on the market of varying type, magnetic or otherwise which you can use. How is this a problem? Besides if you are like most people and use your phone as a GPS, you should be using one of these anyway.
      People actually buy these things?
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast