VWVortex.com - So I had to get rid of my Camaro SS...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I had to get rid of my Camaro SS...

Vehicles
      A fast car, a slower SUV
      06-19-2017 03:05 PM #1
      For a MUTHAF***ING ZL1.

Looks like this, but with a sunroof.

Anyhow, I was on vacation in Myrtle beach about a week and a half ago and had driven my SS down. When I got to town I checked into my hotel and then went for a cruise to find a place to eat. I ended up passing by the Chevrolet dealer where they had the ZL1 all pretty like and upfront. Having not seen a ZL1 in the flesh since my regional dealers weren't allocated any, I decided to check it out. The sales guy came out, I jokingly said "How bad do you want to let this car go today?" He actually entertained it said there was room to move on it. He started it, I fell in love. Next thing you know they shot me really aggressive numbers for my trade (easily 3k higher than Chicagoland stores), I was trading in my SS and driving out with a ZL1.

Options are 10 speed auto, Performance Data Recorder, black over the hood stripe and navigation.

Initial impressions.

It is brutally fast. As it should be. However, it's not a violent rush of power. It's more a Jet airliner on takeoff kind of rush. It just Bwaaa! *snick* Bwaaah *snick* and next thing you know you're in the next county at cruise altitude. It's really addicting and almost alarming how easy it is to be a delinquent in this car. I thought the SS was fast, but this just rises to another level. The A10 transmission is almost imperceptible when changing gears. The rush of power keeps building. It's relentless.

The noise: My god, it sounds so good. The scream it makes running through the gears is just downright exotic. At the same time, it sounds way more refined than the LT1 of the SS.

Handling: Bar non night and day versus the SS. My SS did not have the Mag Ride and it was way more uncomfortable than this car with it's more aggressive settings. I highly advise anyone considering a Camaro check the Mag ride option as it really is worth the money. The gripis much higher as well and this car just begs you to try to fight physics with a pair of brass knuckles.

Interior: It's pretty much on par with the SS I had. The only real difference is the suede (which I could care less about) and the Recaros. The Recaros while snug are still comfortable and do a much better job holding my fat 'murrican" a$$ when diving into the bends. Fit and finish appears to be a step above as well. My SS would rattle the doors when playing music with any type of bass. The same songs come across with nary a rattle in the ZL1. So either the ZL1's get more sound insulation or it was a running production change on all Camaros. Either way, it's a much better sounding setup with the changes they made.

Exterior: This thing just looks so much more sinister than my previous Camaro. The flared front end, the front splitter, the wing, the hood. I could go on and on but it just looks like it wants to fight the next Mustang that looks at it cross-eyed. I love it.

Overall, I'm still in shock at how awesome this car is. It almost dare I say...feels exotic. I plan to hold on to this one as long as possible because honestly, I don't know where to go performance wise from here. There is so much performance here that I actually kind of get nervous with it. The car itself doesn't scare me, but just how easy it is to do bad things with it. Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

Anyways, just sharing my thoughts. Happy to answer any questions folks might have.
      Last edited by RollingInDubs; 06-19-2017 at 03:07 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      I shall continue carrying the torch for old school muscle while you lay down for the new deities like Automaticus (the god of clutchless ahifting), and Suspensionum (the patron saint of neutral handling).

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      06-19-2017 03:08 PM #2
      RIP driving record...
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      06-19-2017 03:11 PM #3
      will the sunroof made that nice looking roof ("bubble roof") disappear?
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Vehicles
      2006 Miata
      06-19-2017 03:12 PM #4
      awesomesauce

Vehicles
      A fast car, a slower SUV
      06-19-2017 03:14 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      will the sunroof made that nice looking roof ("bubble roof") disappear?
      Yup. You do lose the bubble roof.
      I shall continue carrying the torch for old school muscle while you lay down for the new deities like Automaticus (the god of clutchless ahifting), and Suspensionum (the patron saint of neutral handling).

6. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '17 A3 E-Tron, '17 JKUR, '96 VRT Cabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      06-19-2017 03:25 PM #6
      You, sir, are my hero today. I have a neighbor who owns one and it looks and sounds great going down the road.

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      06-19-2017 03:28 PM #7

Shoulda got it in that lime green, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RollingInDubs View Post
      I plan to hold on to this one as long as possible because honestly, I don't know where to go performance wise from here.
      The 1LE...
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Vehicles
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      06-19-2017 03:29 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      RIP driving record...
      Agreed. I couldn't daily one!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      The "U.N." garage: 3 British, 3 German, 2 Japanese, 1 American.
      06-19-2017 03:29 PM #9
      Now THAT is a proper vacation! You came back with more than sunburn and bad golf stories.

And yes, please do keep it for as long as you can. In 20-30 years, people will look at that car like they do the Z/28 or an L78 Chenille. And you will still have it and can tell your grandkids about how you bought it on vacation.

Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2017 Camry XLE
      06-19-2017 03:29 PM #10
      When will you be changing your sn to "RollingInMovingViolations" ?

After watching the ignition on this car a month ago, I was very impressed. I had no issues with my LS1, and the LS3 is even better than it. Though, I can't help but have a hankering for an LT1/LT4. Such great engines. Looking forward to updates!
      LS1 Volvo Thread

Previously owned - MkV R32 #3917, 2008 Silverado 1500 VHO 4x4

Vehicles
      '12 FJ Cruiser 6MT, '15 Triumph ST3
      06-19-2017 03:33 PM #11
      Not my style, but congrats on the upgrade.

06-19-2017 03:36 PM #12
      congrats, I've been impressed by everything I've read and heard about the new ZL1. If I wasn't going the GT350 route, this would be the next one on my list.
      the user formerly known as al@absolute
      17 F350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB | 17 Explorer Sport | 87 Buick Regal GN | 14 Mustang GT | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 16 Kawasaki Mule Pro-Fxt

Vehicles
      '17 STI Limited, Ross Edition
      06-19-2017 03:36 PM #13
      Congrats! Awesome car!!!

POST PICTURES!

Did you want an auto, or did you go with the 10-speed due to the price?

Just curious. I am not a manual-only nazi, I am just interested in knowing what swayed your decision!

14. 06-19-2017 03:51 PM #14
      You picked this over a Focus?

Awesome. Love it. Mag-ride is the bomb in the 2SS - Does this one have that or the multimatic setup from the last gen z28? I haven't done my homework.
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3
      1987 Peugeot PB-18 – Manual Power
      1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

Vehicles
      One E24, One W124, One P2
      06-19-2017 03:54 PM #15
      Damn. Just... damn. Congrats.

If they're offering ANY kind of deal on these things, you're winning at life.
      - A bunch of old, tough, unbreakable German iron
      - One temperamental, stubborn, fragile Italian thing
      - One Swedish memoriam

Vehicles
      A fast car, a slower SUV
      06-19-2017 03:54 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      Congrats! Awesome car!!!

POST PICTURES!

Did you want an auto, or did you go with the 10-speed due to the price?

Just curious. I am not a manual-only nazi, I am just interested in knowing what swayed your decision!
      To be honest, I was open to either with a leaning towards the 10 speed if just for the engineering marvel that it is. It really came down to finding a ZL1 that wasn't spoken for that could be had for a decent deal. I had been passively interested in a ZL1 for about a month but none of my preferred dealers could even get one and the one ZL1 that I did find (Krypton Green M6) could have worked, but the dealer lowballed my trade in on my SS so much that it was insulting.

So when I happened to be traveling for leisure anyways and stumbled on a car equipped the way it was with a dealer willing to play ball. I jumped. I would have even bought it had it been a manual.

Now having had the A10 for about two weeks, I would never go back to the manual. This transmission just changes the game for precision. I absolutely love the way it performs.

Vehicles
      06-19-2017 03:55 PM #17
      t

To be honest, I was open to either with a leaning towards the 10 speed if just for the engineering marvel that it is. It really came down to finding a ZL1 that wasn't spoken for that could be had for a decent deal. I had been passively interested in a ZL1 for about a month but none of my preferred dealers could even get one and the one ZL1 that I did find (Krypton Green M6) could have worked, but the dealer lowballed my trade in on my SS so much that it was insulting.

So when I happened to be traveling for leisure anyways and stumbled on a car equipped the way it was with a dealer willing to play ball. I jumped. I would have even bought it had it been a manual.

Now having had the A10 for about two weeks, I would never go back to the manual. This transmission just changes the game for precision. I absolutely love the way it performs.
      Enjoy it! What a beast!

Vehicles
      06-19-2017 03:57 PM #18
      So are you going to mod it? I haven't researched it on this platform, but these types of cars usually have extra horsepower readily available with a tune and pulley upgrade!!

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 1.8t
      06-19-2017 03:57 PM #19

Options are ... black over the hood stripe and navigation.

Vehicles
      A fast car, a slower SUV
      06-19-2017 04:00 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
      You picked this over a Focus?

Awesome. Love it. Mag-ride is the bomb in the 2SS - Does this one have that or the multimatic setup from the last gen z28? I haven't done my homework.
      To be fair, I'm not ready for a Focus RS. I think my next car will be an F-Type and then after that...it might be time.

And yes it did get the suspension passed down from the Z/28. I do believe it was updated to respond even faster. Don't quote me though.

Vehicles
      A fast car, a slower SUV
      06-19-2017 04:02 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      So are you going to mod it? I haven't researched it on this platform, but these types of cars usually have extra horsepower readily available with a tune and pulley upgrade!!
      Honestly, I'm not planning on it. This car is already more than I can ever dream of exploiting on the street. I might, MIGHT update the exhaust later...but that's a ways down the road.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      06-19-2017 04:15 PM #22
      Congratulations man!! Best kind of vacation there is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Vehicles
      '16 e-Golf SE, '00 GTI 1.8t, '15 Accord Sport CVT, '92 F-250 4X4
      06-19-2017 04:18 PM #23

Exterior: This thing just looks so much more sinister than my previous Camaro. The flared front end, the front splitter, the wing, the hood. I could go on and on but it just looks like it wants to fight the next Mustang, and every European sports car that looks at it cross-eyed. I love it.
      FTFY.

Awesome. I love it.

Post up when you take it to a track day.

Vehicles
      14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 03' Envoy, 05' Honda VTX, 97' C'Dale 900 Killer V, 90' C'Dale SR800
      06-19-2017 04:24 PM #24
      Congrats .... nice color.
      I saw a red convertible at a Corvette show I attended on Saturday.

Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      06-19-2017 04:53 PM #25
      I've been thinking about the ZL1's lately too.
      Muh cahs: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      Mine was white, and I sprayed on the BRG with a rattle can. "Instant Lotus Cortina!"
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ighlight=lotus

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast