VWVortex.com - So semi trucks appear to be evolving in aggression.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So semi trucks appear to be evolving in aggression.

Vehicles
      A fast car, a slower SUV
      06-19-2017 04:38 PM #1
      So I noticed this coming home from vacation last week and want to know if it's me.

I feel like semi trucks are becoming bigger a$$hats now more than in recent memory. The big thing I'm seeing now is the "turn your signal on and while doing so barge into the next lane" move. It doesn't matter if the vehicles in that lane are closing at a much faster clip. They don't care. They just barge over.

The other thing I'm noticing more of is the "snail race." Trucks will do rolling road blocks for miles while trying to overtake one and other below the speed limit. This race is usually initiated by the first maneuver I noted above.

This is not my first rodeo, I've been driving highways for years. However, truck drivers seem to be more aggressive I'd say within the last 12 months or so. Just wondering if something changed to drive this kind of behavior or if it's always been this way.
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      I shall continue carrying the torch for old school muscle while you lay down for the new deities like Automaticus (the god of clutchless ahifting), and Suspensionum (the patron saint of neutral handling).

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: '96 Honda Civic CX; Former: '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '12 Golf TDI (sold to VW)
      06-19-2017 04:40 PM #2
      The reality of autonomous driving displacing them has got them all angry?

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      06-19-2017 04:41 PM #3
      They've had enough of these gosh darn hoonigans driving beneath their trailers and stealing their gosh dang VCR systems!

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line CW :::::::::::::::::1998 GTi PB
      06-19-2017 04:43 PM #4
      1+3+3=7

Vehicles
      Logitech G29
      06-19-2017 04:45 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by George Bluth View Post
      They've had enough of these gosh darn hoonigans driving beneath their trailers and stealing their gosh dang VCR systems!
      DVD players*

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: '96 Honda Civic CX; Former: '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '12 Golf TDI (sold to VW)
      06-19-2017 04:45 PM #6

7. Member
      06-19-2017 04:45 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by RollingInDubs View Post
      So I noticed this coming home from vacation last week and want to know if it's me.

I feel like semi trucks are becoming bigger a$$hats now more than in recent memory. The big thing I'm seeing now is the "turn your signal on and while doing so barge into the next lane" move. It doesn't matter if the vehicles in that lane are closing at a much faster clip. They don't care. They just barge over.

The other thing I'm noticing more of is the "snail race." Trucks will do rolling road blocks for miles while trying to overtake one and other below the speed limit. This race is usually initiated by the first maneuver I noted above.

This is not my first rodeo, I've been driving highways for years. However, truck drivers seem to be more aggressive I'd say within the last 12 months or so. Just wondering if something changed to drive this kind of behavior or if it's always been this way.
      So this is what bothers you and not the truck driver cross country hooker killing and pill popping?
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

06-19-2017 04:48 PM #8
      I don't feel like its gotten any better or worse since I started driving. The most consistently aggressive trucks I've encountered are on the route between Nashville and Atlanta.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      '17 Scat Pack Manuel / '01 Camaro SS Manuel
      06-19-2017 04:48 PM #9

I thought most companies governed their trucks now? So the heavy one is 1 mph slower going up hills. The lighter one tries to pass. They both crest the hill and are then at equal speed

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta 2.1L 16V, '08 Mazda3 GT
      06-19-2017 04:52 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by George Bluth View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
      DVD players*

InstaGram J92Jcarpic 100% Stance Free

Vehicles
      2016 Honda HR-V
      06-19-2017 04:55 PM #11
      The big thing I'm seeing now is the "turn your signal on and while doing so barge into the next lane" move. It doesn't matter if the vehicles in that lane are closing at a much faster clip. They don't care. They just barge over.
      I have absolutely noticed more of this too.

My theory:

I kid, I kid.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      06-19-2017 04:56 PM #12
      I don't notice too much annoyance with semis here with our relatively high speed limits but in other states I can tolerate about five minutes of two trucks doing 62 and 62.1 MPH before I just put it in 3rd and go around on the right in an on-ramp merge lane. Byeeeeee

Overall traffic is just getting worse and worse to the point where I strongly prefer state highways and two-lane backroads to interstate idiocy. This morning I was driving to work on a 55 MPH four-lane highway (doing about 60) and a woman in a new C300 blew a stop, pulled right out in front of me, didn't get on it, then dead a weak little brake check because I didn't slow down fast enough for her liking. I changed to the other lane to go around after the car next to me went by and of course then she punched it. Just go! Jesus.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

13. Member
      Vehicles
      06-19-2017 05:09 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I don't notice too much annoyance with semis here with our relatively high speed limits but in other states I can tolerate about five minutes of two trucks doing 62 and 62.1 MPH before I just put it in 3rd and go around on the right in an on-ramp merge lane. Byeeeeee

Overall traffic is just getting worse and worse to the point where I strongly prefer state highways and two-lane backroads to interstate idiocy. This morning I was driving to work on a 55 MPH four-lane highway (doing about 60) and a woman in a new C300 blew a stop, pulled right out in front of me, didn't get on it, then dead a weak little brake check because I didn't slow down fast enough for her liking. I changed to the other lane to go around after the car next to me went by and of course then she punched it. Just go! Jesus.
      I don't know who is worse: Dallas drivers or LA drivers.

Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-19-2017 05:12 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      I don't know who is worse: Dallas drivers or LA drivers.
      LA drivers in Dallas.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

15. Member
      Vehicles
      06-19-2017 05:18 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      LA drivers in Dallas.
      Damn them Toyota transplants

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      06-19-2017 05:35 PM #16
      LA drivers in Dallas.
      On their way to Atlanta via Nashville!

Vehicles
      2008 Ram 2500
      06-19-2017 05:35 PM #17
      Its definitely annoying when truckers do the extra slow pass. The worst part is they make you feel like they're doing it on purpose because they saw a car coming and want to piss off the driver. The reality of the situation is they literally do not care, they aren't paying attention and they don't look. They simply don't want to turn their cruise control off and have to go through the entire rigamarole of braking, accelerating and pushing the cruise button aaalllll over again. Thats a lot of work you know. I have a CB in my truck and occasionally listen to their conversations. Its quite entertaining and it actually makes time go by more quickly when driving. I suggest everyone get in on the radios and stop getting so worked up about sh*t.

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      06-19-2017 05:40 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      Its definitely annoying when truckers do the extra slow pass. The worst part is they make you feel like they're doing it on purpose because they saw a car coming and want to piss off the driver. The reality of the situation is they literally do not care, they aren't paying attention and they don't look. They simply don't want to turn their cruise control off and have to go through the entire rigamarole of braking, accelerating and pushing the cruise button aaalllll over again. Thats a lot of work you know. I have a CB in my truck and occasionally listen to their conversations. Its quite entertaining and it actually makes time go by more quickly when driving. I suggest everyone get in on the radios and stop getting so worked up about sh*t.
      After a trucker camping in the left lane of the NJTPK tried to run me off the road TWICE when I tried to pass...I don't buy the ignorance defense. These guys love pissing people off because they have a huge grudge against motorists ****ing up their "office". That and pissing others off has become a national pastime in this country.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Vehicles
      2008 Ram 2500
      06-19-2017 05:41 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      After a trucker camping in the left lane of the NJTPK tried to run me off the road TWICE when I tried to pass...I don't buy the ignorance defense. These guys love pissing people off because they have a huge grudge against motorists ****ing up their "office". That and pissing others off has become a national pastime in this country.
      Youre probably right. I was trying to be nice for once hahaha.

Vehicles
      A fast car, a slower SUV
      06-19-2017 06:30 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by atl-atl View Post
      i have a cb in my truck and occasionally listen to their conversations. Its quite entertaining and it actually makes time go by more quickly when driving.
      "caaaannndddyyyy caaaaaneeeeeee...."
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      I shall continue carrying the torch for old school muscle while you lay down for the new deities like Automaticus (the god of clutchless ahifting), and Suspensionum (the patron saint of neutral handling).

21. Member
      Vehicles
      06-19-2017 07:42 PM #21
      I have to admit, it's a two-way street.

Let's not pretend that there are no dickhead drivers who won't let 18-wheelers merge into their lane, especially when the lane they're on is about to end.

Vehicles
      '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      06-19-2017 08:46 PM #22
      LA drivers in AUSTIN.
      FTFY

At least Dallas, Houston and SA drivers have had two decades of traffic to adjust. It's like Lord of The Flies out there anymore.

Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b
      06-19-2017 08:50 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

24. 06-19-2017 09:27 PM #24
      This barging over B.S. literally just happened to me on my way home from work today. Didnt even have a care in the world. Literally had to pull off into the shopping center entrance way to avoid being hit. Guy didn't even bother to wave or anything

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

25. Member
      06-19-2017 09:40 PM #25
      This wasn't on I-81 by any chance, was it?
      They used to do that on my way down to school 20 or so years ago. It was hilly, so it was understandable but still annoying.
      -------------------------
      02 S6 Avant / 99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip
      73 914 2.0 / 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC
      65 Ducati Falcon 80

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast