Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Transmission Fluid Level and Change - VR6 Automatic

1. 06-02-2003 11:01 AM #1
      Excuse my ignorance
      - Is it possible to check trans fluid levels
      - When should automatic transmission fluid be changed.

96 Passat VR6 Auto w/ 155K

2. 08-08-2003 07:17 PM #2
      Bringing to the top!

Found this searching for the same information. If I recall, the fluid is lifetime and checking is performed by the dealer only, acording to the manual.

162K miles on 1996 VR6 Auto and getting some fluid on top of tranny. Would like to check and change fluid my self. Can you check the fluid w/out the dealers equipment? How about changing?

3. 08-10-2003 02:41 PM #3
      You can change it yourself but there is no way to check the level. If you have your car on level ground and get under it. You`ll see the drain plug then another screw in the middle I believe. If you pull the center plug and then fill the tranny with fluid it will only fill to the top of the drain plug bolt an the extra will start to run out. This is what I was told by the service manager at a local VW/Audi/Porsche dealer.

Auto`s suck Donkey D*ck.
      G-friends.... 80k hates hills and won`t downshift
      Friends.....63k blown
      another friends...50k slips like a deer on ice.

SWAP IT.
      I`m in the middle of putting a new one in a friends car right now I hate these things

4. 08-18-2003 08:22 PM #4
      Apparently no one knows. However, I found what I was looking for in my manuals. For a 01M transmission the only reason you need the VAG 1551 Scan tool is to determine the correct temperature before checking the fluid level. (Approx. 30 c)

There is an "Overflow tube" that is accessed by removing a plug from the bottom of the tranny. If fluid comes out it is good, if not top off. On mine I have to break a seal that holds the filler plug on and then replace w/ a new seal to secure plug.

Hope this helps!

5. 09-06-2003 05:27 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by VEEDUBALLSTARS »

Auto`s suck Donkey D*ck.
      G-friends.... 80k hates hills and won`t downshift
      Friends.....63k blown
      another friends...50k slips like a deer on ice.

I'd agree with Auto's suck only because i love manual. But i have an Auto and i'm at 193K original transmission. If you take care of your car most likely you won't encounter problems.

6. 09-06-2003 08:35 AM #6
      How about the final drive gear oil for the 01m gear box?How to check?What mileage need to change oil?