Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hood latch broke on friends jetta, any way to pop the hood?

1. 06-10-2003 08:38 PM #1
      the latch thing that you pull on to pop the hood has broken, any other way to open the hood up?

for hits

Modified by ninja_van1sh at 1:40 AM 6-11-2003

2. 06-10-2003 08:41 PM #2
      That happened to me before. I think I just took a screwdriver or something and pushed the hood release thing down. See if you can get a flash light in there to see how the lever operates.

3. 06-10-2003 08:43 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by SoFlaJetta »
      That happened to me before. I think I just took a screwdriver or something and pushed the hood release thing down. See if you can get a flash light in there to see how the lever operates.

cool

so u mean to look between the grill and hood and look for the lever thing?

any other advice guys?

4. 06-10-2003 08:45 PM #4
      brute force the screwdriver thing works

5. 06-10-2003 08:48 PM #5
      so u guys are tlaking about that area between the grill and the hood righT? wher that pulling thing is suppose to pop out?

6. 06-10-2003 08:50 PM #6
      yeah, the area where the hood latch is, just look around and try and push, pull what needs to be moved

7. 06-10-2003 09:09 PM #7
      yeah, the area where the hood latch is, just look around and try and push, pull what needs to be moved

ok so, i push that thing that is suppose to pop out? and pull what?

8. 06-10-2003 09:09 PM #8
      its the hood release thats borke, is there anyway to open the hood from the outside??

9. 06-10-2003 09:13 PM #9
      stick you hand in, the latch comes over the top and closes upon the right side of the metal clip.... just stick your hand in, find the lever, putting your hand on the top of it and push it down to the right and it will open, note you will have to stick all of you hand in to find it

10. 06-10-2003 09:20 PM #10
      Where you pull the latch out you can reach back there and pull the latch down. It kinda sucks doing it barehanded but it works for me

11. 06-10-2003 11:51 PM #11
      im still having problems guys...we know we cant pop it form the inside, we need to open it from the outside. its as if there isnt any tension when we use the hood popper inside the car.

i tried gettin my hands in there, and i have pretty skinny hands, i cant pull or push it. do i need to press that pulling thing with the arrow on it really hard?

12. 06-10-2003 11:55 PM #12

yep, i had to do that awhile ago when mine broke too. luckily its easy.

13. 06-11-2003 12:00 AM #13
      when u guys say pressed the hood release down, u mean like under the hood, behind the grill?

14. 06-11-2003 01:51 AM #14
      his hood is stuck shut... not cracked... take off the kick pod in the car and pull on the cable... it might have some loose?

15. 06-11-2003 01:59 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by 2KGTI-t »
      his hood is stuck shut... not cracked... take off the kick pod in the car and pull on the cable... it might have some loose?

hehe tried that...its as if its connected to nothing

btw, hows the jti?

16. 06-11-2003 02:31 AM #16
      When this happened to me, I just got some cord from the Hardware store and used it by tying it to the piece that was supposed to be pulled. Until I got a new plastic piece, this served me well. I also tied the other end to a "D" ring and just let it hang.

17. 06-11-2003 07:20 AM #17
      I havent had a hood latch in over a year...takes 2 seconds to open the hood....just put your whole hand in to feel for the mechanism and use a finger to pull toward you on the elbow of the hinge that is protruding on the very right of the latch and its easy as pie.
      2013 bmw 335i m-sport.mods
      2011 bmw 135i m-sport.mods
      2007 bmw 335i sport.mods
      2006 audi a3.loaded.mods
      1969 barracuda.drag spec.

18. 06-11-2003 08:14 AM #18
      You guys aren't paying attention. His hood doesn't even pop up when he pulls the release in the car...

... stop telling him to stick his hand between the grille and the hood! Go outside and try that with your hood fully closed down, that's what his problem is!

Bro, this is gonna suck but you might have to destroy that grille to gain access to the latch and reach for the primary release.

Go to a dealership, walk right into the garage bay and ask the question to a mechanic... maybe they have a better trick than destroying the grille.

-Pascal

2002 Audi Allroad - 6MT - Stock - Hers
      2005 Volvo V70R - 6MT - Not Stock - Mine

19. 06-11-2003 12:05 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by -Pascal »
      You guys aren't paying attention. His hood doesn't even pop up when he pulls the release in the car...

... stop telling him to stick his hand between the grille and the hood! Go outside and try that with your hood fully closed down, that's what his problem is!

Bro, this is gonna suck but you might have to destroy that grille to gain access to the latch and reach for the primary release.

Go to a dealership, walk right into the garage bay and ask the question to a mechanic... maybe they have a better trick than destroying the grille.

He doesn't want to do that!!! That grill is part of his front bumper. It is all one piece.

Get the car on a lift and you might be able to get to the latch from underneath the car. It's only thing I can think of to help you.

20. 06-11-2003 05:30 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by mahmgb »

He doesn't want to do that!!! That grill is part of his front bumper. It is all one piece.

Get the car on a lift and you might be able to get to the latch from underneath the car. It's only thing I can think of to help you.

hehe pascal gets a cookie! and no, the grill and bumper is now one piece

the pic i included is my car, my friends jetta is stock

21. Member
      06-11-2003 06:08 PM #21
      wait so you can just pop the hood off with a screwdriver? why do we want people to know that?

22. 06-11-2003 06:13 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by ninja_van1sh »

hehe pascal gets a cookie! and no, the grill and bumper is now one piece

the pic i included is my car, my friends jetta is stock

My fault. I forgot you you were talking about your friend's car. Don't mind me, I'm

23. 06-11-2003 06:16 PM #23
      thanx guys, we decided not to break anything and are taking it ot the shop this weekend, thanx again

24. Banned
      06-11-2003 06:16 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by ninja_van1sh »
      so u mean to look between the grill and hood and look for the lever thing?

Pull on the thing the pull piece was fastened to. Doubt the metal parts are broken.

Vehicles
      2000/VW/MK4 Jetta
      06-11-2003 07:18 PM #25
      READ PEOPLE! he hood lever DOES NOT WORK. the CABLE HAS BECOME DISCONNECTED. the hood is CLOSED, ie WILL NOT POP UP BY MEANS OF THE HOOD RELEASE LEVER INSIDE THE CABIN.

i would suggest trying to pull the grill out. pull out the bottom first and that should grant you access to the hood lever. if you CAN'T do this...i dunno

26. 10-13-2005 11:05 AM #26
      Resurecting an old thread because i have the Same Problem. There seems to be so much slack in the hood release cable that pulling the latch inside the cabin dose not pop the hood.

What can i do here ?

27. 10-13-2005 11:09 AM #27
      OMG....I just got a headache reading this....good luck dude

28. 10-13-2005 08:25 PM #28
      Problem Solved!!!!

well in my particular case anyways...here it is

1. Remove fuse box cover and surround
      2. Remove the 2 torx screws that hold the left side of the lower dash trim (beneath the steering wheel)
      3. From there you should be able to see the cable come into the cabin along the left side of the cabin in the door sill.
      4. Get a set of long needle nose pliers and grab onto the hood cable to stop it from moving around.
      5. Pull the hood release latch...the pliers should give enough resistance so the cable can activate normally.
      6.Enjoy your now open hood...have beer ...admire engine bay for a bit
      7. Trace the hood release cable to the main hood latch and remove the ball at the end of the cable from the retainer clip.
      8. Remove dead pedal
      9. Remove the panel that surrounds the hood release latch. you have to pull the latch out as far as it will go to get it off.
      10 Right above the latch's pivot point there is a clip that is supposed to hold the cable in a specific spot. My Cable came out of this clip so when you pulled the latch the whole cable moved instead if just the wire inside it. Put the cable back in it's clip.
      11. Replace the hood release surround the same way that it came off, by pulling the lever out as far as it will go, this is why you have to disconnect the cable in the engine bay.
      12. Replace dead pedal and the other interior panels
      13. Re-connect the cable in the engine bay.

Done

29. 10-13-2005 08:59 PM #29
      I just slipped my fingers (shocker style j/k) through the grille and pushed down until I got a new hood latch

10-13-2005 09:03 PM #30

31. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 Jetta TDI Wagon.
      10-13-2005 09:09 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by atekipp »
      stick you hand in, the latch comes over the top and closes upon the right side of the metal clip.... just stick your hand in, find the lever, putting your hand on the top of it and push it down to the right and it will open, note you will have to stick all of you hand in to find it

ding ding, easiest way to do it....

32. 10-13-2005 10:43 PM #32
      mine broke i tied it back together with string,,, u know u ghetto!

Vehicles
      2011 S4
      10-13-2005 11:35 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by MXTHOR3 »
      ding ding, easiest way to do it....

Dude did you not read at all? The problem is that the hood won't open up at all. I would like to see you stick your fingers in there with the hood closed.

Vehicles
      2000 GTI 1.8T, 2012 Kizashi S iAWD
      10-13-2005 11:40 PM #34
      Quote, originally posted by chollas »
      Problem Solved!!!!

well in my particular case anyways...here it is

1. Remove fuse box cover and surround
      2. Remove the 2 torx screws that hold the left side of the lower dash trim (beneath the steering wheel)
      3. From there you should be able to see the cable come into the cabin along the left side of the cabin in the door sill.
      4. Get a set of long needle nose pliers and grab onto the hood cable to stop it from moving around.
      5. Pull the hood release latch...the pliers should give enough resistance so the cable can activate normally.
      6.Enjoy your now open hood...have beer ...admire engine bay for a bit
      7. Trace the hood release cable to the main hood latch and remove the ball at the end of the cable from the retainer clip.
      8. Remove dead pedal
      9. Remove the panel that surrounds the hood release latch. you have to pull the latch out as far as it will go to get it off.
      10 Right above the latch's pivot point there is a clip that is supposed to hold the cable in a specific spot. My Cable came out of this clip so when you pulled the latch the whole cable moved instead if just the wire inside it. Put the cable back in it's clip.
      11. Replace the hood release surround the same way that it came off, by pulling the lever out as far as it will go, this is why you have to disconnect the cable in the engine bay.
      12. Replace dead pedal and the other interior panels
      13. Re-connect the cable in the engine bay.

Done

Winner, and a local one too!

35. 10-13-2005 11:46 PM #35
      zip tie the latch mechanism and pull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast