1. went out and flushed my radiator twice on my lunch break. hope that was enough, cause I plan on filling the system saturday.
2. made a feeble attempt at planning out the IC piping again, but lost steam when I looked over and saw the driveshaft boxes sitting there.
3. installed my driveshafts. they fit perfectly, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks Drive Shaft Shop! And thanks to Frank in particular for scoping out the fact that the driver's side shaft was close enough to my measurement that it didn't need modification. He saved me $150. The other $50 went towards a rebuild of the shaft, since he took it apart to measure it.
4. installed the mk4 A/C condenser onto the mk3 radiator. Required some bending of the driver's side attached hardline (being careful not to kink it), and drilling of new holes in the lower mounting tabs. For the upper mounting points, the tabs didn't line up with the holes, so I made brackets to hold the top sturdy. Needed to cut off part of the upper mounting tab on the passenger's side, cause it interfered with the rad support.
5. the fatter of the 2 A/C lines (goes from the firewall to the compressor) was done being modified yesterday, so I installed it today. It's the mk3 line with a mk4 fitting on the end. The mk4 line interfered with the coolant bottle and the rad support. For the line from the condenser to the firewall (the thinner one), I just used the mk4 line. Hopefully it won't get in the way of the coolant reservoir, nor force it up into hood territory.
6. Checked out why my rear defrost switch was always illuminated yellow. I bridged the two wires out back, and it went back to red. Then, stupidly, I turned on the defroster. POP. No more fuse. Time to get some 25's. Got 20's, got 30's. No 25's.
7. scoped out the FMIC mounting space. Gonna need to devote a lot of time to that this saturday, so I don't butcher the bumper/rebar/rad support too badly. This needs to be done really strategically so I don't end up pissed at myself.
8. Removed the plug-in check-valve from the mk4 evap hoses, and plugged it into the hose between the throttle body and the evap canister. I'll consult the Bentley to make sure it's roughly in the right place. The problem is, on the mk4 the evap canister is at the gas tank, and the mk3 one is up front in the wheel well. The blue bubbly thing that's in the mk4 front wheel well is not well documented in the Bentley, so I'm guessing it's just some form of expansion tank for the vapors. Anyway, I'm hoping that just installing this valve will keep the DTC I was expecting from happening. I hope the mk3 evap canister used with mk4 motor is not a bad thing. The power plug for the canister in the mk4 is routed to/out of the trunk. The mk3 canister requires no power. I'm thinkin' I'll still have a DTC from that. Crap.
9. Took apart the busted passenger mirror from the Wolfsburg, and it looks like the motor will mount perfectly inside the cabby mirror, and I can even tap the wires into the cabby mirror's plug. That'd be handy. amazedone offered me her spare mirror motor from her Civic, and I'd use it, but it's lookin like it won't mount in there. I kinda figured, but thanks for the offer, kiddo Looks like I gotta scope out a driver's mirror motor from classifieds or JY.
It's been a long, productive day. And I just got home to find out that a high school friend of mine died this morning, two months after being diagnosed with brain cancer. Some days just aren't good, no matter how much good you do.