Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Low Speed Fan Causing Overheating????????????????????????????? Please Help

1. 07-01-2003 09:59 PM #1
      Well just finished painting and mounting a the third RS bumper second pair of side skirts and the back bumper and now shes overheating. I never hear the low speed/temp fan come on anymore. The car runs nice and cool on the freeway but once I get off the freeway she heats up quick and the high temp fan starts and cools her off and turns off and then turns back on a few minutes later. I think the low temp fan isn't working because I never hear it come on and I never hear it after I shut her down either. Should I first check the fanswitch in the radiator? Or could it be the aux. water pump (i am not sure about his one) or even the thermostat? I am a little lost. I don't think its the thermostat because both the lower and upper radiator hoses heat up eventually. What about the fan control module? I am not to sure as to what that bad boy does. Any steps to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated as I know this has been coverd before but all the archived stuff was sort of helpless.

2. 07-01-2003 10:37 PM #2
      Start cheap, and then work your way up.

If your fans aren't turning on, chances are it's the switch, it's a $15 part and easy enough to change. I doubt it would be the control module since they tend not to go bad w/ the frequency as say the switch would.

Auxilary water pump wouldn't case overheating since it runs after the car's turned off. If it's busted, you'll hear a nasty, almost grinding noise coming from it.

Make sure you're not leakin' coolant too.

Good luck w/ it.

3. 05-19-2012 02:35 AM #3
      Any luck on figuring out the problem mine just started doing this today it seems like ya finish one thing (turbo build) and something else pops up!!! gotta love these vr"s lol.... anyway if u got the answer lmk getting lazy and i don't feel like digging if i don't need too

4. 05-19-2012 02:15 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by CVR6 View Post
      Well just finished painting and mounting a the third RS bumper second pair of side skirts and the back bumper and now shes overheating. I never hear the low speed/temp fan come on anymore. The car runs nice and cool on the freeway but once I get off the freeway she heats up quick and the high temp fan starts and cools her off and turns off and then turns back on a few minutes later. I think the low temp fan isn't working because I never hear it come on and I never hear it after I shut her down either. Should I first check the fanswitch in the radiator? Or could it be the aux. water pump (i am not sure about his one) or even the thermostat? I am a little lost. I don't think its the thermostat because both the lower and upper radiator hoses heat up eventually. What about the fan control module? I am not to sure as to what that bad boy does. Any steps to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated as I know this has been coverd before but all the archived stuff was sort of helpless.
      Is this a MK4? If so, check for a burnt fuse on top of the battery, the S180 fuse (30 amp) supplies battery plus to the fan switch and the low speed operation ft he both fans. This circuit (low speed) is independent of the fan control module and the high speed circuit.

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit Pickup Diesel
      05-30-2012 10:26 PM #5
      I've had this problem for a while. First, my fans quit working all together, so I replaced the temp sensor that plugs into the block. Then my fans worked but only on the super high speed setting. I've just been rolling like that for a couple years. I'm broke. My VR takes a beating.

It's probably that radiator plug. Are there any relays that affect this?

Vehicles
      98 GTI VR6, 01 Jetta 1.8T
      06-01-2012 05:07 PM #6
      check your fans.

unplug the connector from the temp sensor and using a paperclip, touch ground and high, ground and low.

if they don't work, your fan is toast.
      LEASE THIS SPACE

Vehicles
      New 04 pd100 Old setup 94 JTI Vrt 60-1 .58ar exh obd2 440 racefile 20psi/meth
      06-01-2012 05:44 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by UmbroVR6 View Post
      check your fans.

unplug the connector from the temp sensor and using a paperclip, touch ground and high, ground and low.

if they don't work, your fan is toast.
      Or bad wiring....
      Coming soon 4dr pd golf on air dipped blue with hitch racks and skid. Real work horse
      Automatic cause shifting short ratio sucks

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit Pickup Diesel
      06-02-2012 08:13 PM #8
      I've done this, and the fans work