Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: mk4 vr6 6spd. trans into a mk3 vr6 jetta? anybody know?

Vehicles
      Girl cars all day
      07-06-2003 03:14 PM #1
      curious if i could put a new 6spd. trans into a mk3 vr6 jetta? any ideas?
      R.I.P. Good Vortex

Vehicles
      2013 Jetta TDI, 99 MK3 Jetta 2.0
      07-06-2003 03:38 PM #2
      im not sure if you can use the 6 spd. trans out of the 337 but i dont see why not. It may take some modifications to bolt up but it would be well worth it.
      PM me for welding and fabrication in the capital area. Located just north of Baltimore, MD.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      07-06-2003 03:46 PM #3
      hybrid forum might be more knowledgable (sp?)
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

4. 07-06-2003 04:32 PM #4
      vortexer "Benbult4u" I thin is his name, has done the swap, and is in the process of making brackets for the tranny to fit right for selling to the public. Cool stuff.

5. 07-06-2003 04:33 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by vr6chris »
      im not sure if you can use the 6 spd. trans out of the 337 but i dont see why not. It may take some modifications to bolt up but it would be well worth it.

the VR will not bolt to a 4-cylinder tranny. the bell housing is different. You would need a tranny from a 24V VR engine.

6. 07-06-2003 06:20 PM #6
      I did this swap and i made a complete post on the conversion its in my signature.

here what it says:

<<<<< 05/08/03>>>>>

Driving impressions!!!

Its the best thing in the world! well close.... I put close to 400 miles on it since completion and have had no problems at all. it drives absolutely wonderful. 6th gear at 60mph is about 2550 RPM. Also the clicking has gone completely after 2 or 3 times it is completely gone. i personally think it was the diff trying to lock under hard cornering. because there was no pressure in the steering. I still would shorten the axles 7/8 and 2in if i had the chance but new axles are 300 each so ill stick with what i got. The clutch masters clutch IMO is a little closer to race only. its streetable but barely. its very aggressive but at least i wont have clutch slip. I just got new BF drag radials for the front so im gonna see which gives first the inner or outer joint. Other than that best thing Ive done so far!

<<<<< 04/19/03>>>>>

I had to shorten the drivers side axle to make it stop clunking under hard rights. so if your trying to do this cut 7/8's off the drivers side. Passenger side seems great. but should have done 2" instead of 1 3/4". well i put 25 miles on and had the TT short shift and liked it but in the car the stick stuck up like 5 feet in the car. so i shortened it 2" in the car and its at the stock A3 height now. hopefully will be getting more mileage on tonight.

The conversion is complete

i finished up fabricating the custom shifter arm to clear the water neck and wired the speedo and reverse lights. Drove it down the road and its incredible. 60 mph is 2400 rpm!!! It is very notchee like others had stated they were. im gonna shorten the shifter in the car too. it sticks up to high. Only thing i seem to have a problem with is the drivers side axle i think it needs to be trimmed down a little more maybe 1/4in. other than that this conversion was straight forward yet very time consuming. i will post completed pics and info soon!!!

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ive been fabricating and making the brackets for my 02m swap for a couple days. i fabbed up the shift box and installed that already. made the front and rear motor mounts. all thats left is to bolt in the trans and shorten the axles.

Fabbed up a box to fit in the stock location

Hers a pic of the modifed front mount. because the A4's dont have front mounts.

this is the rear mount its total made from scratch with 1/4 flat steel. it uses the factory bolt locations and mounts.

Axle installed and spun with good amount of clearence.

i cheated and mated the trans to a gutted bare block. then mounted it into a stripped passat VR6 to do the fabrication of the rear mount.

Im hoping to get the mounts copied and sell them for the conversion.

So far everything is fitting good no axle fitment probles at all.

soon to be back on the road.

<<<<<<<New 4/09/03>>>>>>>

I split the trans in half today and got ready to install the quaife which arrived from peter@thescirocco.com . also as a side note i was able to pull out the diff without removing the whole gear clusters. i just lifted them up and popped out the diff. was actaully very easy. Finall VW built a transmission like a honda this thing could be repaired by a 12 year old. .

<<<<<<<<<<<4/15/03>>>>>>>>>>>
      I took the pictures of it installed today. its been in since saturday and went in without to much of a fight. Anyone attempting this remove the inner cv flange itll make it 100 times easier. I also got the axles shortened already but waiting on them to get tig welded all the way around. the left side need a 1/2 inch and the right side is getting 1 3/4. I had to take the axles apart to get them shortened and these things are built like a brick house. after looking them over they should never break and inner CV but the outers will probably go with 500 hp or more. the rest of it is going quick clucth is working with my original clutch master cylinder and a modified line. and has incredible clutch feel. i ordered the TT shifter arm and side to side arm to replace the jetta one. other than that i had to order all new cv boot clamps. Should be done and driving by saturday.

almost done

<<<<<<<<<<<<<4/17/03>>>>>>>>>>>>

ok i got the axles back today and payed 220.00 to have them shortened and TIG welded back together. the axles are made of some king of tool steel. they took 2 hours each in the lathe to cut. the axles have bearings inside the axle tubes which had to be removed and as a side note theres little plastic spacers at the bottom. they get thrown out. they wont fit one the axles are shortened. Ive posted a pic of the axles in the car and before i installed them. Waiting on new boot clamps and my TT shifter arm to come in. should be tomorrow.

i cant wait to drive it!! Ill be the first MK3 02m car!!!

Modified by Benbuilt4u at 6:22 PM 7-6-2003

i rebuild and install LSD's in vw 5spd and 6 spd transmissions

1997 GTI VR6 bought new by me in feb/1997

7. 07-06-2003 06:46 PM #7
      Great post!

8. 07-07-2003 02:45 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by slAmIT »
      Great post!

thanks

i rebuild and install LSD's in vw 5spd and 6 spd transmissions

1997 GTI VR6 bought new by me in feb/1997

Vehicles
      1990 JETTA VR6, 2003 JETTA 1.8T, 2010 TOUAREG TDI
      07-07-2003 02:47 PM #9
      He's got too many cars!
      I do work on cars, anything short of engine and transmission rebuilding can be done. welding, custom and aftermarket as well as regular repairs. IM me for details, shop is in WOodbridge.

10. Banned
      07-07-2003 02:51 PM #10
      that is a great write up

Vehicles
      2004 Golf R32, 2003 Jetta WE, 2011 Porta Potty
      07-07-2003 03:01 PM #11
      Good Post!
      Bruno