Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: HELP!!! - Thermostat Location.

1. 07-19-2003 03:57 PM #1
      1lowvento is having overheating problems and wishes to replace his thermostat. Where is it located. Any information would be helpful, PICS even better.

Thanks,
      George.

"Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock"

2. 07-19-2003 06:27 PM #2
      I have the same question. I want to install a colder thermo..... Anyone? My mechanic said $176 to install the $22 part. He might be stoned or what?

3. 07-19-2003 09:41 PM #3
      On a VR6 it is located on the front right side of the motor when facing the engine from the front of the car under the intake manifold. Follow the uppper radiator hose back from the radiator to the left, you will see 3 sensors colored blue, yellow, and brown (I think), attached to a black plastic housing, they are right in a row. The thermostat is in this housing, there are 3 allen head bolts that hold the thermostat cover on to the housing, they recommend that you buy a new cover, they warp and leak on re-install. It's a pain to get this thing out, I had to undo all the sensors, then take the whole housing out to get the top part off where the thermo is. You will need a gallon of anti-freeze and some RTV to seal it up as well. Email me if you need pics or more tips.

4. 07-19-2003 09:51 PM #4
      Read and find pictures here:

http://www.gti-vr6.net/library....html

Very easy to do yourself.

5. 07-20-2003 03:28 AM #5
      Grit your teeth and pay the mechanic. Not worth the hassle.

Thats the one nice thing about American Cars. Stuff like the Thermostat is exposed for easy removal/replacemetn. You just seem to go through them a lot quicker.

6. 07-21-2003 09:48 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by I Am Sparticus »
      Grit your teeth and pay the mechanic. Not worth the hassle.

Not worth the hassle? It is a piece of cake. It took me all of ONE HOUR to do the whole job.

7. 07-21-2003 10:44 AM #7
      I took mine out on the road side, 120miles from home with only a pair of pliers and a couple of hex keys and a bottle of water.

Not exactly easy or desirable, but certainly possible.

Leave it out, they are too much hassle when they go bad. I mean, you rad is there to keep the engine cool, so they stick a valve in it, that completely blocks off the cooling system when it fails, and stick it in a brittle PLASTIC housing that's a complete beatch to get at, great design...........

8. 12-04-2007 07:56 PM #8
      How about the thermostat location on a +1999 VR6 12v.... Mine (2000 Jetta VR6) doesn't look at all like the pic mentioned (http://www.gti-vr6.net/library/engine/repl_VR6_therm_housing.html)

Does anybody know where is the thermostat on a 2000 VR6 Jetta?

9. 12-04-2007 08:32 PM #9

10. 12-04-2007 09:39 PM #10
      cool, thanks!!... I knew there was a DIY... for some reason I didn't see it earlier today