I thought I would throw this out for anyone who may need it at some point. In my case I couldn't get the credit card trick to work, and the dealer was unable to remove my deck. I don't know if this is a problem on a MKIV GTI's DD Monsoon or if I damaged it by jamming credit card shards into it. Anyway this is easy:
1. Remove plastic/alum molding & cupholders around HU. It is all clip-on and requires no tools (Maybe a padded flat-head screw driver to pry). EDIT: it is only necessary to remove the molding above and below the face plate; not the narrow strips on either side....
2. On the top and bottom edges of the HU there are two small philips screws. Remove these 4 screws and don't lose them.
3. Gently remove the face plate of the DD HU by pulling outwards. Be careful that the connections between the box and face plate are not damaged.
4. Locate the spring-loaded removal tabs -- they are directly behind the slots where one would insert the key (they are made of shiny stainless steel-looking metal). They can be pulled to the inside of the radio with needle-nose pliers or by simply pushing on them with a tiny screw driver.
5. While pulling each tab towards the inside of the radio, insert a toothpick, small pin, or small screw driver into the rectangular hole in the center of the pin. This will hold the tab in the "open position".
6. Use pliers to grab onto the HU's METAL FRAME and pull the unit out. If you can only hold open two removal tabs at once, do each side separately.
7. Do stereo work
8. Re-attch everything you removed....
Modified by chet12 at 9:29 PM 8-11-2003
Modified by chet12 at 6:53 PM 9-3-2003