VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Turbo 2.5 or bags

11K views 78 replies 23 participants last post by  TylerO28 
#1 ·
I really need some other opinions from other people. I love my car and way to take it to the next level but really can't decide whethe to save a little longer and buy a c2 kit and stay static or buy a kit from bag riders. I'm very indecisive and change my mind every minute. Just wish these damn things weren't so expensive. Is it really worth it to turbo our 2.5 with FWD and only 250 hp coming from the stage 2 kit. I want to do it jw if it's worth it. Any info would help thanks!

#9 ·
Um its much more than 250HP I assure you of that. At least maybe i'm just lucky, but my car can run away from stage 2+ gti's Audi a8 4.2l and pretty much many other Nice cars. I may be delusional, but the 250HP quoted by c2 is probably a bit more on the conservative side. Have a friend that hit 289HP in his auto turbo rabbit. i'm also kind of wanting bags, but I also know WAY too many people that had bags, and then after a year went back to static.

I'm not sure why they always go back to static, but from a few friends, they just can't get their ride dialed in. and it never rides like a performance suspension...

#10 ·
There are a few "performance" bags out there, but they don't compare to a decent set of coils, hell even a decent spring/strut set up.

The way I see it, ya, it looks kinda cool to have a car that looks like its eating the pavement. But when it comes to enjoyment, the butt dyno trumps all of that.

#13 ·
Since this is the 2.5 section the responses aren't surprising at all. I say go bags first wait till a couple turbo kits come about. You have a lot more to spend money on to go turbo and make it reliable, than you would with bags. You'll also need to keep a reserve of cash for when your turbo setup WILL break...

And thanks greyt for saying that about bags. I was finna flip a bitch! Bags can outperform a coil setup any day if done right.

#17 ·
I can point you to a guy here in Jacksonville that hated his. BUT he had someone who was terrible at installs do all of the work on it. The car will literally float when on the highway. Trying to find the video I took last month...

I think this convo needs to take place in its own thread. The OP compared apples to oranges so naturally it's going to spark a riot. :thumbdown:

#21 ·
Coils are great, if you spend the time getting then dialed in/corner balancing and what not... To me its one thing that they have that bags might have a hard time achieving. But if you're good at going to your setting/psi that you were aligned at,I would assume they can handle just as well.
The biggest issue I've had with those running bags, is the simple fact that they are only doing it for internet stardom.... Most have a great looking trunk set up, and it looks awesome slammed...but that's about where they fall off... To some, looking good is all they care for. I for one drive my car, and would never run without a front sway bar, granted there are solutions now that offer the ability. To me its about fusing things into a Nice little package, performance, looks/aesthetics and reliability.
Can you run a turbo reliably? Absolutely!
Bags? Yes again!
Both? Yup... But at what point are you going to have issues with either? That's the unknown!
How cool do you look stuck with a blown bag? How awesome is it stuck with a blown motor? What can you afford to fix? Cheaper route says bags... I may bag my car someday...but beating up on porsches and other sports cars is the epitome of hilarity and fun!

#23 ·
oh my god, turbo is the way to go for sure. you could either:

A) try to look super cool for people while driving slow around town

OR

B) greatly increase the car's performance that will put a huge smile on your face everywhere you go. you'll also be able to actually feel a difference with this mod, instead of just looking at the car from the exterior.

:banghead:

#30 ·
I have had 2 people I personally know that regret buying bags. But, in the end it is all just personal preference.

Do you want show, or do you want go?

There is always that nice moment when you pull up beside a GTI and he thinks you got nuttin. Or there are the times you pull up beside this static kid thinking he is low and then you dump her.

LMAO! Pick your poison i guess... Im already retartedly low for the roads around here, for me it doesnt make sense for bags. Every tom dick and harry has bags here, and they do it just for status. Which is really lame.

Whatever you do, do it for yourself and what you will enjoy most.

#32 ·
Turbo. 250hp will do nicely. :D

Bags are the parachute pants of the automotive world. One day, you'll be hoping no one still has any pictures of you rocking them. :facepalm:

You could also go headers and full exhaust, then couple that with a C2 SRI & tune, and an APR Carbonio. :p

You'll still get to spend a lot of money, but it will be more reliable. Not to mention an easier install. :banghead:

205 hp at the wheels. Can't complain about that. :beer:

#43 ·
WOW awesome at all the replies. Now i just won a court case i filed for about 2 years ago with my apartment roomate owing me a ton of money and now that i see and have been researching i AM GOING TURBO lol. but now the question is get the stage 1 kit and see if it satisfies or go straight to stage 2. Seems like the only difference is software and FMIC for like 2000 more dollars.:confused:

#44 ·
but now the question is get the stage 1 kit and see if it satisfies or go straight to stage 2. Seems like the only difference is software and FMIC for like 2000 more dollars.:confused:
First of, its a 500-1000 dollar difference...Second, which kits are you comparing? The EL kits? FMIC is def worth it, specially since it doesn't add 2000 bucks. :facepalm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.