VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What Did You Do To Your Golf R Today?

2M views 18K replies 1K participants last post by  Faio 
#1 ·
Most sections have this thread and since people are starting to take delivery, let's hear it! What did you do mod wise to your Golf R today or recently?

#1,652 ·
Gave it a thorough cleaning.

Installed some BoldSport goodies.

Then I did the auto hatch opening mod. So simple and so worth it. I would recommend this to all. The slight drop in the height of the open hatch is worth the ease of opening. Plus, it is free (except 10 minutes of your time).

Then I switched out all interior bulbs and the trunk bulb for bright white LEDs. WOW, what a difference. This is probably one of my favorite mods so far. Little money, little time, HUGE impact factor. I did not post pictures, the ones in the dark did not turn out. Plus, there are some great pictures of this mod in this thread that do the mod justice.

Lastly, I ordered myself a ceramic coated street resonated downpipe from 42DD and the EvoMS CAI. Can't wait to add those to my GIAC tune and really open her up...

If only my LED tails would finally arrive from Germany, that wait is so painful...

#1,663 ·
......switched out all interior bulbs and the trunk bulb for bright white LEDs. ....This is probably one of my favorite mods so far. Little money, little time, HUGE impact factor......
Please explain the value of making the interior lighting whiter and/or brighter. :confused: I think the OEM lighting is just right. But I don't obsess on raising my mod count with useless stuff.

#1,657 ·
I'm burning my black caps now. No longer cool. :(

#1,665 ·
Nice, safe packaging-and what appears to be a very detailed intstruction booklet with many pics.

I was seriously considering having a shop install this, but I think this is very doable with such detailed instructions-Thanks APR!:thumbup::beer:
Awesome. Installing the intercooler itself is really straightforward. The only reason I didn't do mine is that I really hate removing and replacing bumpers (that and my wife refuses to help with any more installs).

#1,674 ·
Then I did the auto hatch opening mod. So simple and so worth it. I would recommend this to all. The slight drop in the height of the open hatch is worth the ease of opening. Plus, it is free (except 10 minutes of your time).

Would you mind sharing how you did this mod? I've found some references on the MkV forum, but a search did not reveal any MkVI posts about the hatch mod. Perhaps my search criteria were off.

#1,675 ·
you need to flip the bracket on the car end of the hatch struts.

#1,705 ·

IMG_2923 by Sgt Nucci USMC, on Flickr

IMG_2924 by Sgt Nucci USMC, on Flickr

IMG_2925 by Sgt Nucci USMC, on Flickr

IMG_2924 by Sgt Nucci USMC, on Flickr

You get the idea. Sgt, there's a share dropdown on Flickr. Just set the radio button in there to BBCode, pick your resolution, and copy the snippet of code into your post.

Love the car BTW. I thought about getting my original wheels done in black and putting them on the JSW when I buy new ones for the R, but I may hold off for a bit and see where I go. Anyway, looks great! Enjoy!

#1,696 ·

Will be installing these goodies shortly !

#1,703 ·
Ewwww

#1,709 ·
So that badge looks pretty good. You hand jam that, toe ball?

#1,721 ·
Lets see...picked her up about 730 last night drove her...oh man...I'm in love...lets see drove her more today oh yeah cleaned her, oh and installed my led tails....now I just need to meet someone with the VAG-COM somewhere to the south burbs of Chicago to code for me....Now awaiting my Color matched markers from John what a good guy to work with by the way....I wanted to get my windows tinted today but they couldn't....just another reason for me to drvie her more to go back....:D:D:D:D:D

#1,722 ·
Visited the local Mustang AWD dyno. Left very, very sad. They don't call it the heartbreaker dyno for nothing.

Not impressed with the massive dip in the curves between 3500 and 4000 rpm with the APR Stage 1+ tune. APR will never admit it, but this car really needs a custom tune.

I'll post up the charts on my build page shortly.

#1,732 ·
Dropped the coin for the LM-20s today! Centers should be machined this week! Finally, after five weeks! :heart:

#1,736 ·
:thumbup:

That date is a great date for me!!!!! :cool:

#1,743 ·
On my way home from work there was a Nissan GT-R right next to me. Of course I did not dare to
challenge him! 0-60 in 3 sec ! Wonder how much a tune up cost on this car?