VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

track cars ... where to buy?

15K views 103 replies 38 participants last post by  vwapasionado 
#1 ·
So i am coming up on paying off the only car i owe on. I was thinking at that point of going to buy either a newer 911, or a caterham. i know, strange choices, but im a strange person.

but i spent some serious time thinking last night, better uses of that money. and i could not get around the fact that i really want to get on the track. but nothing i own, i would be willing to track. too nice, too risky, i'd have a conniption if i wrecked either of my nice sports cars.

so ... that got me thinking, instead of building one of my cars into a race car, or buying a 911, how about buying a race car or track prepped car? looking for a junker, but with solid mechanical (like most track cars).

so, where do you get spec e30s? spec miatas? spec 944s? spec Z? etc etc? they are few and far between on CL or any other site i search for cars on ... any ideas?

and yes, looking to buy, not build. building a race car is a 25 grand proposition, buying one is a less than 10.

pics for clicks

See less See more
#50 ·
Craigslist.

There are several Spec E30 and Spec Miata cars for sale there now semi-locally to me, as well as a Cosworth-built Miata for under $10k.

#51 ·
#73 ·
thats for me to decide you not to.
That's why I said "I think..."

Just like you think you're too good to drive FWD, or that anyone who doesn't autocross their car is a worthless poseur.

Old Miatas and MR-S are throwaway, easily replaced cars.

cockerpunk said:
and, as i said, almost any way you cut it, a casual track day or two per month, over the summer is far cheaper than it.
How do you know? Have you ever done a track day in your life?

Track days are way more expensive than you are giving them credit for. They are not in any way "casual" and anyone I've seen be "casual" at a track day ends up regretting it. Also, good luck with trying to stay casual once you try it. You will be hooked and going to every event you can sign up for, plus trying to figure out ways to hit different tracks in neighboring states for variety's sake. A "casual" summer of 1-2 events per month could very well cost you nearly $10K and that does not include the price of the car.

Take $350-500 for the entry fees alone. Then think about all the parts you will need--brakes, tires, and eventually suspension components will wear much faster than you realize. Then there is the gas, and all the fluids you will have to replace on a stricter schedule...you will go through brake/transmission/clutch fluids like water, not to mention oil changes. Then there is the litany of little **** the car will need, like a baffled oil pan.

If a tow vehicle is not part of the equation then I would steer even further clear of buying a pre-built track car, and lean even more towards tracking one of your "nice sports cars" until you figure out what you're doing. But hey, I've only autocrossed once and I sucked at it, so feel free disregard my 10-15 trackdays as irrelevant.

#75 ·
That's why I said "I think..."

Just like you think you're too good to drive FWD, or that anyone who doesn't autocross their car is a worthless poseur.

Old Miatas and MR-S are throwaway, easily replaced cars.

How do you know? Have you ever done a track day in your life?

Track days are way more expensive than you are giving them credit for. They are not in any way "casual" and anyone I've seen be "casual" at a track day ends up regretting it. Also, good luck with trying to stay casual once you try it. You will be hooked and going to every event you can sign up for, plus trying to figure out ways to hit different tracks in neighboring states for variety's sake. A "casual" summer of 1-2 events per month could very well cost you nearly $10K and that does not include the price of the car.

Take $350-500 for the entry fees alone. Then think about all the parts you will need--brakes, tires, and eventually suspension components will wear much faster than you realize. Then there is the gas, and all the fluids you will have to replace on a stricter schedule...you will go through brake/transmission/clutch fluids like water, not to mention oil changes. Then there is the litany of little **** the car will need, like a baffled oil pan.

If a tow vehicle is not part of the equation then I would steer even further clear of buying a pre-built track car, and lean even more towards tracking one of your "nice sports cars" until you figure out what you're doing. But hey, I've only autocrossed once and I sucked at it, so feel free disregard my 10-15 trackdays as irrelevant.
yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

i have done track days, just not in my own cars.

if it spirals out of control, then i'll deal with it then. i don't get why you bring that up. it happens it happens, no issues there.

again, we are talking about about $7,200 a year (about the cost of a nice late model 911), are you seriously proposing this is not enough to cover the costs of consumables for a spec a miata at 6-8 track days a year? GTFO.

i get that TCL always wants to be the smartest guy in the room with a big ole' dick and tell everyone how to live there life, but this is getting ridiculous.

#56 ·
For the cost of a single LeMons/ChumpCar event, you can race a 4 cylinder car at a short oval for a year.

#60 ·
I hope the OP knows what he's in for if he's starting from zero and wants to be wheel to wheel racing soon.
I say be honest with yourself. If you want to do wheel-to-wheel racing, say it and go for it. buy the appropriate car, and own the situation. Don't come on here saying "I just want something I can walk away from financially if I stuff it" when your budget of 10k would easily cover replacement for the 944 or MR2 you already own, because that doesn't just doesn't hold water.

If you want to get into spec Miata, just say it and do it.

#86 ·
Starting with a fresh slate is a mixed bag. For those who like to develop and prove things out and grow as the car grows, the build is half the fun in between the track days once the driver wall begins to get hit, toss on some better tires and its like a new car! But this way is also very expensive at times when your trying to figure out what works and what does not.

Punk, you mentioned a 996, if looking at a M96 engined car then a X51 sump/cooling/ims and other items are needed to make the engine survive extensive track use. If talking Mezger then its welding coolant pipes. I have not tracked my 996 Turbo yet as the engine has not come out to weld the coolant fittings and do all the GT2 clutch slave conversion/GT2 trans cooler so the trans does not blow up and a LSD. While it will be fine for a track day or two on the stock stuff with the coolant fittings welded which is now required by most run groups for safety, it is by no means ready to hit the track extensively (6-12 events). The

Buying a turn key track car that is dialed in is great if you have tons of experience with the chassis/power and setup and can make changes to suit driving style accordingly. When I mention experience, this is both setup and driving! Nothing like seeing someone green get into a car that is way to fast for them and then they run out of driving skill at a very high rate of speed without the experience on how to deal with it let alone that they should not be in that situation.

:beer:

#94 ·
if I were to start over right now, I would look into a C5 vette (c6 if I could stretch money wise) and put a cage in it. miatas are great, plentiful and cheap n everything but eventually, you'll wanna go proper fast. 150hp (or whatever they have) just won't cut it eventually.

bomb proof V8
very well balanced
they were built to be fast from the factory
very little effort needed to prep.
plentiful and cheap to buy now

buy one
get it caged for safety (I bet there are quality prefab bolt in solutions out there too)
upgrade pads n rotors
sticky tires
trans cooler

have fun.

should take you less than a month to prep it vs. 3 years for me!!!!

#96 ·
eh, I don't have any real depth of knowledge in vettes other than to say that my uncle's C6 drive a million times better than his previous C4. I think the money would be better spent on anything other than a C4... the improvement between 4 and 5, as I understand it, is as big as the grand canyon.... purely anecdotal I realize..

#98 · (Edited)
I'm a little late to the party, but I'm going to chime in b/c I think I was in a similar position as the OP not too long ago.

When I moved back to Atlanta and reconnected with some old racer friends, I was talked into buying something that I could track (my F10 535i wasn't really up to the challenge). All I wanted to do was the occasional track day, so I wanted something fun for both street and track. I ended up buying a 997.1 6MT.

The 911 is an absolute wonder on the track. Many people will say (and I agree) that one will never appreciate everything the car has to offer unless you've put it on the track.

After several (awesome) track days I came to an interesting conclusion. I was having so much fun that the 911 wasn't economically viable anymore for HPDE's. The car itself is expensive, tires are $2500 a set, brakes will set yo uback over a grand, and track insurance is $350 per weekend. Is it worth is? YES. Is it the smartest way to track? Unless you're independently wealthy, probably not.

Enter your "track car" dilemma. I now wanted something I could learn in, that was fun, but wasn't too expensive to own and operate. I looked on racingjunk.com and some other places, but most of the "deals" out there are going to be word of mouth. I suggest finding something to do some HPDE's with early on... maybe a rental. Maybe your own car. Go check it out, have fun, and meet some people. Its those people that will point you to the car you're looking for when you're ready to look for it.

So fast forward to 3 weeks ago... a friend of a friend called me and said "hey, remember my E36 you were in love with? Well it's for sale!". The timing was right. I was ready to move up to a true track car and the price was smokin'.

Something like an E36 M3 is inexpensive (comparatively) and has no electronic stability control... so you can learn true car control. And you can do so without the worry of wrecking a pricey sports car. Tires are cheaper, brakes are cheaper, and if you introduce yourself to a wall or barrier, replacement E36 body shells practically grow on trees.

I think you're line of thinking is spot on. Just need to ease into it. And like was said above, C5 and C6 Vettes are also great cars. Currently, the C6 Z06 is the biggest bang for your buck for a track car... that is, if you can bear to look at it every day :D

PS: It is SOOOOO MUCH FUN!

#99 ·
Instructor: "I want you to bring the car back in to the second apex, keep your eyes up over there to that point!'

(i'm just making a guess. Nice cars.)

Do you still have the 911? Do you enjoy it as much on the street now that you've wound it out on the track?

#104 ·
Race car

I have world challenge Audi TT race car for sale. It includes a trailer if you want it. Even the truck as well. Too much to write about in here. I am downsizing all the way. This car is very fast, reliable and simple to maintain. Comes with ALL documented and recorded work.
We can talk if you want to. I am Andy and you can call or text 630 561 9677

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.