VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Adding Rain and Light Sensor

151K views 243 replies 45 participants last post by  mkaragian 
#1 · (Edited)
I activated auto window up on my friends MkV Jetta and I've since become re-obsessed with adding the rain and light sensor to my MkVI Golf TDI.

I can find absolutely nothing about fitting the OEM system to this chassis.

Can anyone here shed some light on this?

I've found info for the MkV retrofit..but not for MkVI (http://furmanka.blogspot.com/2008/08/mk5-czujnik-deszczuwiata-i-lusterko.html)

They show a RLS with the pinouts:

With only 3 pins...this can't be too complicated...right?

How do I find out where to connect this to the CECM? What else is needed? New wiper stalk?

I've gotten a quote from a place like Safelight Auto Glass, and they "claim" that they have the correct windshield. If my windshield cracks...I would seriously consider replacing with the RLS windshield and being the guinea pig.

Thoughts?/Info?

EDIT: I'll be updating this with info on the install

I didn't take as many pictures as I should have, but I'll do my best to fill them in as I have more time.

To add the RLS you will need:
-RLS harness (you can make your own, but I ordered mine from Kufatec.com)
-Rain and Light sensor (1K0-955-559-M or newer)
-Auto headlight switch
-Repair wire (000-979-021)
-2 5A mini fuses
-Wire hangar
-zip ties
-Auto dimming rear view mirror (part#)
-Access to VCDS (vagcom)

Tools:
-T20 driver
-Trim removal tool (or flathead screwdriver...just be careful)

RLS Harness:
The RLS harness has 7 pins wired up (3 pins in the RLS, 4 pins in the auto dimming mirror). There are 2 pins NOT wired in the mirror section. These 2 missing wires are for auto dimming side view mirrors. This feature will require additional wiring that I will not cover here.

Procedure:
1. Install Kufatec harness
-Remove "AIRBAG" cover on driver's side A pillar
-Remove T20 screw located behind "AIRBAG" cover
-Pull pillar cover away from pillar, being careful not to mess with the airbag!
-Remove 2 T20 screws on each side of the sun visor. Remove visor
-Remove trim around bluetooth microphone and buttons. Use your trim removal tool to pop out this panel
-Now, remove the trim around the sunroof switch, again using your trim removal tool
-Locate the two T20 screws closest to the sunglass holder, remove them
-Depress the two tabs adjacent to the screws and lower the switch assembly
-Place harness so that the connectors extend down the windshield to where the base of the rear view mirror is
-Fish the shortest wire of the harness through the headliner and into the sunroof switch assembly
-Locate the blue 6-pin connector on the switch assembly, notice that pin 6 is empty!
-Open the 6-pin connector and insert the pin into slot 6. This wire tells the auto-dimming rear view mirror when the dome light is on so that the mirror will disable auto-dimming
-Slightly pull down headliner and hide the harness inside, working your way over to the A-pillar
-Run the harness down the current wires that run down the A-pillar, zip tie together
-Unfold hanger and fish hanger through to the CECM. I started from the CECM to the pillar, I found it was easier to go from the bottom rather than the top
-Tape the harness to the hanger and pull the harness through
-Reassemble the sunroof switch assembly
-Reassemble the A-pillar

2. Wire harness into the fusebox
The repair wire will allow you to add two fuses to the fusebox. One fuse will be for the RLS and the other for the auto dimming rear view mirror.

The RLS needs constant power, the auto dimming mirror needs switched power.

I had 1 available spot in my fusebox for the RLS. I don't have a single available spot for the mirror. I still am figuring this out.

-Follow this DIY to add a fuse to the box:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62584

-Find a screw and connect the ground. I used a screw in the fusebox as everything in the fusebox was unpainted and seemed to be a good ground

At this point, you have 4 of the 6 wires connected (dome switch wire, RLS power, mirror power, common ground).

3. Wire remaining signal wires:
-Remove the T20 torx screw securing the OBDII connector
-Locate the white plug in the CECM
-Remove white plug and tap the RLS signal wire into wire 33. On my car, this wire was purple with a white stripe
-Wire reverse signal wire for auto dimming mirror using the same procedure. This is connected to pin 28 of the black connector.

Now the entire harness is completely wired up. Stick some fuses in the fusebox and close everything up

4. Install auto headlight switch:
-In the off position, push in the switch and turn clockwise to release the switch, pull out.
-Remove old switch and connect auto switch and install

5. Install RLS:
-Install new windshield
-Install RLS
-Connect harness to RLS and mirror
-Install mirror and cover up wires with trim pieces

6. Code using VCDS:
Here I will cover options that are REQUIRED for functionality and also options that are optional.

Required:
09 - Central electronics
Byte 17, bit 4 "Assistance driving light (ADL) active"
Byte 21, bit 5 "Rain/light sensor (RLS) installed"

Optional:
09 - Central Electronics
Byte 17, bit 3, 5, 6

09 - Central Electronics/RLS coding
Byte 0, bit 0, 2 (rain closing and highway driving light)

I will update this as I take more picture and video

See less See more
#2 ·
The RLS mirror has a different mount, so it needs a different windshield.

Unless safelite is saying that the mkv and mkvi use the same windshield, there hasn't been a North American Golf/GTI with a RLS, so there's no windshield. Maybe when the R goes on sale?

I know what you mean, I got out of a CC loaner and I miss it now. If my windshield cracks, I'm going to take a serious look at if the JSW uses a MKV Jetta windshield because I think that's my only hope.

#4 ·
Does your car have OEM HIDs from the factory?

#7 ·
Yes, I have OEM HIDs. Does this make a difference when adding the RLS?

OK! If you can get one, the wiring diagram I have says the rls goes to a LIN bus pin on on N33, which would be pin 33 on the white plug. There will already be a wire there, you need to tap in to it.

You don't need a new wiper stalk, once you tell the car you have a rls, the interval switch adjusts the rain sensor sensitivity.
Does the "intermittent" mode on the stalk become the "auto" mode?

Also, would simply adding an auto headlight switch enable auto headlights? I assume that single wire carries signal for both the rain and light sensor?

#5 · (Edited)
OK! If you can get one, the wiring diagram I have says the rls goes to a LIN bus pin on on N33, which would be pin 33 on the white plug. There will already be a wire there, you need to tap in to it.

You don't need a new wiper stalk, once you tell the car you have a rls, the interval switch adjusts the rain sensor sensitivity.

#6 ·
What is in 33 now?

#12 ·
Nice find! I think I'll be picking this up in a few days and see how complicated the install instructions are (hopefully I can translate them to english).

And yeah intermittent mode becomes auto mode and the auto headlight switch gets its information from the same connection.
Is additional wiring to the headlight switch necessary?

What information is being sent to the side mirrors? And what is an "anti-dazzle" mirror?

#11 ·
hey guys,

i installed the auto rear view mirror and rain (light) sensor in my 2006 mkv jetta 2.0T a few years ago before i sold it. to reiterate most of the other posts, you do have to replace the glass and purchase the auto rear view mirror, two connectors, cables (20-22 awg), and 3 cable routing housing pieces that house the harness from mirror to the headliner. you will need to connect it up to the lin bus, ground and fuse box. you can also add the auto light switch and the anti dazzle side mirrors that also run off the rain (light) sensor. all this will also need to be turned on by programming the VAG-COM (VCDS).

the auto dim mirror is much, much nicer than the basic flip one. i recently purchased a new 2011 golf tdi and it's frustrating going back to the night glare of flip mirror, but i am not crazy about changing the glass w/o damage. Be sure you get OEM glass. You may also want to touch base with malooshack who runs the furmanka link from the post above. He is very knowledgeable with these type of OEM upgrades and also sales pre-built harnesses.

:)

#15 · (Edited)
Is additional wiring to the headlight switch necessary?
No additional wiring, but you do need to replace the standard switch with one with the "auto" option and program the VCDs to know that it is installed.

What information is being sent to the side mirrors? And what is an "anti-dazzle" mirror?
Light information from the rain/light sensor. The rain/light sensor senses rain and light. The rain is just determined from the amount of light that reflects off the water beads to the speed. Amount of sensitivity is set on what used to be the intermittent setting on the wiper stalk.The light sensor also determines whether it is day or night to turn on your headlights and auto dimming in the mirror. The sensor can also be set with VCDs to The anti-dazzle are just a fancy VAG name for side mirrors with auto dimming. So the sensor connector has 3 data connections/pins. 1 to the center rear view mirror and 1 to each side mirror. I think the euro anti-dazzle mirrors also have the puddle entry light underneath them and the ability to fold, but there may be three versions in all. I ended up putting the package 1 and up US Jetta 2005.5 mkv with puddle lights on my mkv, but no folding or anti-dazzle for about $200 each.

The price for the folding anti-dazzle side mirrors were really high several years ago (i.e. $500 and up) and they did not work with my 2006 electronics, but I would expect them to work with the Golf VI. There are also other neat euro only features like the lower door entry lights (i.e. instead of reflectors on US version), headlight washers, chirp alarm, window/sunroof closing with rain sensor, etc that the highline CECM system supports.

#16 ·
I'm going to start collecting parts and would like to find part numbers for everything I need

I think I'll need:
-Rain and light sensor
-New rear view mirror
-Trim pieces to cover up wiring to sensor

Any other pieces?

Anyone have access to ETKA and can lookup these part numbers for me?

#19 ·
27 and 28 are both plastic trim pieces (top and bottom) which cover the wires from the sensor itself to the headliner. Color is Satin Black. You will probably need the wiriting for it, but I'd say kufatec would probably be the easiest. I am interested in this retrofit too, but I cannot get anyone to confirm the part number for the glass on a JSW :(. Ill help out any way I can though as I assume the parts outside of the glass will be the same.

#22 ·
.....but have you ever had a car with auto wipers? ....
Certainly a lot of opinions about the feature, but the system on my 2000 GTI-GLX is almost perfect and would be hard to be without for most situation. Can't imagine a down side to a system that runs the wipers only when needed, varies the interval to conditions and is always ready and waiting to serve you.

#25 · (Edited)
Tweak3D said:
I am interested in this retrofit too, but I cannot get anyone to confirm the part number for the glass on a JSW
according to the 2010 ETKA, the the MKVI Euro Variant has the same glass as the MKV JSW/Jetta. if true, you would definitely be able to get the OEM rain sensor glass since it was available in the US in the 05.5 and 06 model years. The rain sensor glass part number is: 1K5 845 011 BM

the mkvi golf/gti have revised glass with sound damping which is not the same. Rain sensor glass part number here is: 5K0 845 011 K

#28 ·
I miss these features from my MKIV. If I wasn't getting an R I would probably attempt a retro.

#29 ·
I just ordered the rain and light sensor. Its only $9.95 over at ecstuning. I picked up two. :)

Now to order the wiring harness. I'll install that and make sure everything works. As long as it does, I'll order the new mirror, windshield, and headlight switch. :)

#30 ·
it says "for the golf mkv"... will that rain sensor work with ours?

#34 ·
it says "for the golf mkv"... will that rain sensor work with ours?
The sensors are indeed different, but not in function.

The sensor for the MkV is 1K0-955-559-M.

According to ETKA:
1K0-955-559-M is replaced by 1K0-955-559-R.
1K0-955-559-R is replaced by 1K0-955-559-T.
1K0-955-559-T is replaced by 1K0-955-559-AB.
1K0-955-559-AB is replaced by 1K0-955-559-AF.
1K0-955-559-AF is replaced by 1K0-955-559-AH.

1K0-955-559-AH is the correct sensor for the Golf MKVI.

It appears that the sensor is simply a different revision. What changed? I'm not sure. Obviously the manufacturer is different.

But since the mkV uses the same sensor as the mkVI, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the old revision mkV part should work on the mkVI.

I guess I'll be the guinea pig and find out.

#39 ·
That's the guy that mounted the RLS mirror below his old mirror mount.

So, a) your mirror is mounted low, and b) you still have that round dot thing above your mirror, and c) you may crack your windshield trying to remove the old mount. OTOH, you aren't paying for a new windshield, so I guess it depends on what you want.

#42 ·
To the brave individuals..

Firstly, the brown dot and beading around the glass is a ceramic based product actually bonded on the glass, you will not be able to remove it.

Secondly, is this really necessary, turning the wipers on is pretty trouble free. A no cost option, I might add.

Like I have mentioned in previous threads, don't, and I mean don't opt to replace unless it is absolutely the only option. The tolerances are minimal on the cut out of the glass, very easy to scratch paint. Granted the rain sensing wipers are nice, but retrofitting is just not worth the trouble. If you should choose otherwise, I wish you much happiness in your pursuit.:beer:

#43 ·
Firstly, the brown dot and beading around the glass is a ceramic based product actually bonded on the glass, you will not be able to remove it.

Secondly, is this really necessary, turning the wipers on is pretty trouble free. A no cost option, I might add.

Like I have mentioned in previous threads, don't, and I mean don't opt to replace unless it is absolutely the only option. The tolerances are minimal on the cut out of the glass, very easy to scratch paint. Granted the rain sensing wipers are nice, but retrofitting is just not worth the trouble. If you should choose otherwise, I wish you much happiness in your pursuit.:beer:
Thanks for the input.

You have to remember that I'm adding more than just rain sensing wipers by adding this option. I'm also adding automatic headlights, coming home, leaving home, auto dimming rear view mirror, and auto window up when the system detects rain.

Also, the total I'll probably spend on this retrofit will be around $100.
Rain sensor $10
Rear view mirror $60
Wiring harness $40
New windshield? Covered by insurance when my current windshield cracks.

I'm not counting the headlight switch in the cost of this retrofit because I need to buy a new one anyway when I purchase LED tail lights in order to activate the rear fog.

I just ordered the harness from kufatec. Its back ordered so I'm sure it will take forever. I decided to buy the LED tail light harness while I was at it. Might as well have it read and on hand for when I need it. :)

#47 ·
Hope it goes as you anticipate.....:rolleyes:
Me too. Don't hate on my thread, please.

I understand that you think its a waste of money. I understand that you 'own' a glass shop. That's fine. Tolerances are tight. I get it. You think rain sensors are lame. Fine.

But when you "roll" your eyes at me and make comments that don't contribute to this thread, then you need to leave.

Let me modify my car how I wish to modify my car.

Thank you.

#48 ·
Not Hating man...

I am all for rain sensors, and I replace quite a number of rain sensing windshields. It is a great option and I do appreciate your desire to do this. I am just trying to save you a possible headache(s) and wish you nothing other than success in your endeavor.

I think that looking forward to cutting into your 2011 Golf is lame, you should have ordered the options you wanted when you bought the car. I was offering you advice,that I believe you were asking for. You turned it into criticism, that was your choice. :confused:

#51 ·
I can buy the windshield from the local dealer for a car the dealer doesn't sell here? That is strange. I apologize if you couldn't have ordered it your way.
So you can get the mkvi golf windshield with the rain sensor? Yes... Like the other poster mentioned VW does not offer many of these type options in the US Golf (rain sensor/auto rear view miiror/auto light kit, leather seats, climatronic, etc). However, since they offer these options in most world markets the parts are not too difficult to get. Most of us would have ordered them if they would have been available. :)

#60 ·
Okay...don't order the repair kit. It looks like its a repair kit for the actual sensor, its just a replacement housing.

#64 ·
Hi Toasters,

All I have so far is the VAGCOM results. I basically used a cigarette lighter wire terminal adapter to provide power and ground, and an RC car servo connector just to make sure this older sensor would work with the MKVI GTi. Now that I have proved it does actually work with the older sensor, I am going to buy the mounting plate and the wire covers and get it actually installed.

Here are a couple of pics of my test:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.