VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

my 1997 mk3 gti build

20K views 334 replies 60 participants last post by  David@vwvortex 
#1 ·
so in my quest to find the best mk3 gti left in existence, i searched for several years, messin about with corrado's, and such in the meantime...I bought a new candy white 98 mk3 gti when i lived in seattle, and unfortunatly, when a tech was servicing it, he wrecked it...car only had 2k miles on it when the tech crashed it...keep in mind that my car had 2k miles in 2002, when it got wrecked...needless to say i was a bit pissed:mad:

so fast forward a few years, and i had to have a sequoia green mk3 gti, with flawless original paint...clean rockers, etc etc, basically had to be perfect...well i found her in craigslist, 1400 miles away, i bought it sight unseen, shipped her here, and have been slowly gathering as many new oem pieces i can find for her, replacing what i can, reguardless of the current condition pieces, as many i have removed looked as new...my goal was to have her ready for show season this year, and i hope that it happens, but i have a lot of work still to do...on with the pics and progress...

first pic is right after i got her...

See less See more
#54 ·
the fact that everyone that sees it including techs who work at a porsche garage tell me its immaculate, and the fact you cant find another in this color and condition i guess makes it special.also the fact that i have every gas reciept, service record, window tag from delivery date makes it also a notable example.

i guess at the end of the day, there is no other car id rather be spending my hard earned cash on.

#66 · (Edited)
I love the green taillights...reminds me of what not to do. Put another quarter in the "NO" jar:thumbup::beer:
AT~

Also, you are going OEM right? Where is your hatch badge and your wiper? Not OEM to me bud. You should actually make this a build thread and post some pics of that manifold. That seems to be the only build here.

#74 ·
come check her out in the flesh if you want,i live in parker,and hold your judgement until then.My tech,and Russ,will both tell you of its condition.My tech,who is a porsche 911 gt3 rs collector,he has 2,told me that my car would win a concourse competition if i entered.Its not that i brag,or like to,its just my mk3 is that clean.I can understand where reading my comments through the internet could be percieved to be arrogant,but i am just enthusiastic about my mk3 gti,and i am very proud to own a car that is as clean , and hard to find in this condition.Come check her out if you want.:beer:

#75 ·
and 3737,i have a lot of mk3 parts that are up for grabs if you wanna come pick some mint,rare pieces.they are for 3 door golf,gti's, so if you have one, and need some stuff, hit me up.i already sold my carpet,mouldings,and mats...i got lots of abt,and oettinger pieces that are hard to find if interested.
ask Carlos,he just picked up a lip from me,he can tell you of my mk3's condition, and my parts available.

#80 · (Edited)
I figured I would contribute to your build thread with my build thread. This was an extensive build and I, just like you, went for OEM+, but added Euro. Just thought it was the right thing to do and it took months and months of hard work. It's not concours quality like yours...actually its a piece of sheet, but I love it and am very "enthusiastic" about it!! See the before and after!!

Before:

After:

See the many differences?:facepalm::screwy:

#82 ·
Im just curious on why so much hate ? If he bugs u or u dont like his car/posts click the back button, its located in the left corner of your browser. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Reading all these posts, to me, seems like everyone is just jealous.

#84 · (Edited)
i believe jealousy is something this car does generate.EVERYONE wants a mint mk3 gti vr6, and finding examples like mine is becoming quite the chore.I dont take the attacks personally, i mean everyone is a tough guy behind the keyboard...:cool:...and your advice is something 90 percent of vortex users need to use, and comprehend.:beer:

#91 ·
I don't need another one, nor want another one either.....jealousy?:screwy:

Now, if you had a new Rocco, sure or something really rare. This...is not rare. It's the fact that you have a "build thread" on this car and there isn't much building. Just trying to get attention that nobody really cares about.
the building is going on, just like to leave some surprises for show season.I think your redic for coming at my buddy, and starting crap in MY thread.I hope you feel better now, and do us all a favor and LEAVE$.And i know you would rather have a mk3 gti vr6 over that silly jetta.you see how that works...
and your opinions about my car are indeed ,YOUR ,opinions, and i disagree with them.Find me another sequoia green mk3 gti vr6, in my shape, i bet you would have to look for years, so while it wasnt a low production car, it is indeed rare THESE days to find a as NEW example.
new rocco, give me a break, my mk3 looks ten fold better.why is everyone getting into mk3 gti's again, hmmmm.Cant wait to see you come back at me, heres hoping you dont, and i can keep my thread to those who are interested.

#97 ·
new rocco, give me a break, my mk3 looks ten fold better.why is everyone getting into mk3 gti's again, hmmmm.Cant wait to see you come back at me, heres hoping you dont, and i can keep my thread to those who are interested.
wait, new roccos are uglier than mk3s, and everybody is buying up nearly 20 year old GTIs again?

****, I am so far removed from the dubber scene that it's started moving backwards.

Seriously dude, you drive a volkswagen golf. Everybody else with one accepts it for what it is. Stop trying to make your car seem like epitome of the ****, it's not. I can show you a 20k mile 1988 CRX Si, and that car is sought after.

Doesn't make it a ****ing diamond in the rough worth telling everybody how clean it is, and how much better looking, or how well maintained it is. It's just a low mileage example of an older car that has some nostalgia points.

Go buy some more CDs so you can eventually afford something nicer than a 15 year old golf.

#87 ·
Could be worse...He could be blowing up some guys thread talking **** about a car he has no interest in looking at anyways. Its awesome the amount of haters that pop in a thread and talk ****...See em at a show and they are snapping pics and talking about how nice it is blah blah blah..It happens all over but the vw guys seem to be a little worse about it then others.

#88 ·
There are a lot of them out there. I'm not an aformentioned "hater". I just think this thread is useless, as I'm sure a lot of other people do. I think a lot of us know what a real build thread is. This dude posts up useless threads to get his post count going. Look at his history:bs:

#94 ·
Then stop posting then. If you have something to say, pm me dork. If ANYBODY has something to say, it should always stay on PM, but nobody ever LISTENS because they are TOO PRIDEFUL!!!!!!

Instead of lashing out at me for my reaction to the build thread because you are butthurt for your friend, PM ME AND TALK TO ME, instead of trying to look joe cool. SIMPLE!!!:beer:

#98 ·
Im not a PM person. Just not my thing...Not tryin to be "joe cool" Im not "butthurt for my friend..Im honestly just posting up cause it is so funny to me when everyone talks **** on here but in person they dont say anything... Its just like the PM...Not a public disagreement lets make it private so nobody looks like they have less internet credit.

I was done posting but thought id just chime in here and point out you guys are posting on and on and on about this guy and his bragging but he hasn't posted.

Ok I'm done with this part of the thread and if i comment it will be about the OP's mk3.

#104 ·
OP's car can win a concours event:p

green taillights:rolleyes:
exhaust:rolleyes:
coilovers:rolleyes:
aftermarket wheels:rolleyes:
rusty seat hinges:rolleyes:
questionable bumper fitment:rolleyes:
decals/inspection stickers/paper labels that are faded and cracked:rolleyes:
ugly redtop battery:rolleyes:
deleted wiper:rolleyes:
no rear badge:rolleyes:
the stone chips from 50k+ miles driving:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's a real gem.

OP, instead of replacing everything that didn't need replacing and then selling your parts, wouldn't it have been smarter to leave the original parts in place and stockpile replacements? Since mk3 parts are so "rare" now, imagine in ten years when something actually breaks:eek: You won't have a replacement part, or the original:banghead:

#105 · (Edited)
love the hate, look at my front, there are no stone chips, cause car had a clear bra on it for 12 years, i removed it.rear badge is install,ed now, and i have every emission sticker new in envelope that i wont use now.keep in mind the pics are its journey along the way.The car looks new, and that is super rare these days to find in a mk3.tails,coils,wiper,etc are all super easy to reverse if need be.And in terms of needing parts, i have 3 other mk3's to pick from, and there clean as well, just not showroom clean like my sequoia.Again, dont get this story twisted, i understand what concourse comp's look at, i stated that my tech is super finicky,and he said its CLEAN and MINT enough to compete if it was returned to stock.You also have to remember this car came from seattle, where you dont get stone chips anyways, cause they dont gravel up there roads in winter, i lived there and its a real safe enviroment for cars, especially cars that were bought new, and stored in a heated warehouse for 8 months of the year.Hate all you want, i know what i have, and thats all that matters;)

#106 ·
oh, and if you could read, i stated my bumper was slightly off track, cause it wasnt even bolted on, i just wanted to see where my exhaust fit before i cut the pipe...the bumpers fit perfect as they should:cool:

my daily junker mk2 is probably cleaner than what you drive:laugh:

#109 ·
If you went around insisting to everyone that the '93 Fox was the pinnacle of modern car design and that everyone who owned a different VW was really just jealous that they didn't have a Fox, you would be mocked as well. His build thread simply provides a convenient centralized location for the mocking, so that it doesn't clutter up the other threads he posts in.

Search up his posts in The Car Lounge if you need more background.

:beer:

BarryV said:
Your daily "junker" is about 5 times cooler than your "rare" piece of crap.
:eek:

#114 ·
your rocco is nice.I havnt posted pics of the mani yet, cause i was waiting for it to come back from the shop.I also just did my exhaust, and had to sort my fuel pump woes in the mk2, i dont live on here.congratz on the pvw shoot, its super cool how many vw's from colo have been in there.
updated pics to follow with the oettingers, and mani hopefully by mid week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.