VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Cutting it a bit close ....

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  JaseZilla 
#1 ·
Well after a long wait, my brakes finally came in. Sadly the intake isn't here yet...

Think I was pushing my luck a bit. These are both the inside rear pads... The more worn one is the driver side...

And the driver side rotor...

And now for the new toys...

Getting the fronts installed as we speak...

See less See more
#4 ·
I know... lol I thought about that after I saw them, but no paint on hand. They don't look like that long. I give them perhaps a couple of days...

If the rears don't do much braking, how did I go through two sets and the original fronts are still good? And while we're on the topic, who thought puting the brake wear sensors on pads that are the slowest to wear down was a good idea???

#11 ·
Being a FWD car with the engine at the front, your front brakes should wear out a lot quicker than your rears. Typically in any car, 60% of your braking is done by the fronts, if not a higher percentage. To add insult to injury, I work for an Audi dealership and we keep a large inventory of front brakes and a much smaller inventory of rear brakes for this very reason. We actually sold our first ever set of '10 A3 rear pads and rotors this month!

My guess would be terrible build quality, or hard braking :laugh:. But even hard braking doesn't make sense to me, I track my A3 10-15 times a season, and my rears have held up until now. And I've had my '06 since 2009!

That is :screwy: !!!

#12 ·
Got them from a local tuning shop... But you have to be careful, the part number EBC lists for the rear rotors isn't the one we need. They list rotors which have tapered hubs and 11.2" ours have straight hubs and 10.2"...

This is what it looked like after about 15 minutes of driving...

This is what it turned into after an hour of driving...

They bite pretty well though...

#16 ·
Those rotors are sick tho.
I like how they are black around the hub. I figured the black would come off within an hour of driving but at least the hub wont look all rusted when it rains. It will keep that nice black look. Now time for new calipers and carriers lol

Soooo, i ALSO think it's time for you to sell me your wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.